One

Forbidden Royal Affair

The carriage slowly moved as the horses pulling it lagged from the wet mud because of the rain. The downpour beats the box holding two people who were very much respected by the people of Joseon. Their carriage heavily decorated, pulled by six horses and twelve palace guards on both sides walk along as they move to get inside the gate of the imperial courts where the imperial residence is located.

 

            Behind the grand carriage is another one but a bit smaller, carrying one person, guarded with the same numbers of palace guards but pulled by four horses only. Upfront and behind the two grand carriages is a group of palace personals who were part of the grand parade somehow showing that important people were inside those two boxes.

 

            The grand palace of the current emperor of China had been in a rush to prepare the welcome party for the arriving party. The stairs were laid with a carpet and flower petals despite the heavy downpour. A line of lowly ministers were aligned on both sides of the stairs waiting for the guests to arrive, not minding the rain beating their back making drenching them wet. On the wide main entrance stood the ladies in waiting in four line on both sides, all eager to see who could be the visitor for them to be called in rush. There are another line of old ministers who were part of the main advisors of the emperor behind the ladies in waiting.

 

            The Empress herself stood near the entrance together with her chamber maids as they watch the two carriages stop at the foot of the very wide and long staircase. The rain started to subside a bit as the messenger of the guests rush upstairs for some message which was conveyed on the head of the side ministers in front of the Empress. The addressed one gave a bow and moved to relay the message to the Empress herself.

 

            With a smile, she gave a nod and the message is soon relayed to the messenger who rushes back to the carriage. It was not an order, just a request from the Imperial Family of Joseon. They would only descend when the rain finally subsides.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            “You should be with the Empress to welcome the visitors,” The Emperor placed a hand on the shoulder of the young man sitting beside the window, looking outside.

“If you may, I would like to stay in my room for a while,” the young man replies, turning his head with a bow.

“Is there something that ails the Prince?” the Emperor asks, moving to stand beside the large windows.

“There is nothing that ails me Your Highness, my mind is just in turmoil for a reason I know not,” the Prince replies.

“Does it have to do with the visitors?” the Emperor asks again, looking down at the Prince who is still looking outside the window as the rain finally comes into a stop.

“I am not certain, but my heart is scaring me,” the Prince replies.

“And what might the heart be doing that it scares the Prince?” the Emperor asks for the third time.

“It’s like my heart wants to get out my chest. I am not used to this weird feeling Your Highness. Do you happen to know the answer to this weird behavior of my heart?” the Prince sighed, looking at the Emperor who is smiling as the faint light of the sun touches the window.

“You are probably afraid because this is the first time you will be meeting someone outside the country. You are feeling fear as to what they may say about your country,” the Emperor smiled at the Prince, “How about we join the Empress to welcome them? I am certain she will be glad,” he added as the Prince stood up to follow the Emperor.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            The light of the sun finally made its way into the stairs as the escorts of the visitors moves to prepare for the descend of their masters from the carriages. The lowly ministers on the side of the stairs made a bow when the announce of the visitors rung on the entrance. “His Highness, the Emperor of Joseon and Her Highness, the Empress of Joseon!”

From the grand carriage, a man in his mid thirties moves out clad in the royal robe of the Emperor of Joseon. He looked up at the stairs as two chamber maids escorts the Empress from going down. Her several layered royal hanbok somehow made it hard for her to move and with the head dress which is only for the Empress herself made her sigh in relief when she is already standing outside the carriage, a feet behind the Emperor himself.

 

            The second carriage’s door slowly opens as a young woman of beauty moves out. Two chamber maids helps her down that they even straightened her light cherry dominant hanbok when she is out of the box. Tulle is attached on her head dress, covering her face as she graces the two ladies a smile of gratitude into which they bowed into, moving backward to join the line.

 

            As the three visitors stood at the foot of the large stairs, three royal chairs which were carried by four men each aligns as a minister led the three visitors into which they would sit so they would not tire themselves from walking up on the long stair. Being gracious as she is, the Princess took a step to ask permission from the Emperor to just walk on her way up.

“But Princess, that will make the hosts feel bad. They might think you are neglecting their gracious service,” the Emperor objects as the Empress alights herself already.

“But Your Highness, I have tired myself from sitting all the way in here. Please permit me to do so,” she bowed her head, her soft voice somehow making it more like she is really pleading.

The Emperor looked at the Empress, “What do you say about this?”

“The Princess had been always fond of trying new things. Walking way up the main entrance in this stairs is something new to her nature; maybe we can have her wish. I will explain it to the hosts myself,” The Empress smiled warmly at the Princess who gave a bow of gratitude. The Empress reached to cup the face of the Princess, “Just don’t trip yourself on the way up, you might not like the feeling of falling down,” she reminded.

 

            The Emperor was left with no choice but to agree. He is not spoiling the lone daughter of his; he is just being considerate so as not to have any unnecessary arguments regarding that matter. Sooner, the two chairs were carried up by men, as the ministers at the side of the stairs bow their head as a form of respect.

 

            “Your Highness, are you certain you will not tire yourself much if you would walk all the way up?” the oldest of the Princess chamber maids, asks.

“No, I will not tire myself. I will probably enjoy the flight up,” she smiled and starts to take her steps up the stairs followed by her chamber maids and guards.

 

*-*-*-*-*-*-*

 

            The Empress of China was indeed surprised to see her husband and their son join her in welcoming the guests. As they are standing together, they soon saw the two important people carried by men appear and stop right outside the door, a few feet away from them. The hosts wait for the two to descend from their chairs before they took a step forward to give a formal bow.

“Welcome to our humble residence, Emperor Kim, Empress Kim,” the Emperor greeted after the bow.

“We are glad to be in here Emperor Zhang. I would like to note the very excellent service of your palace personals. They are very well indeed trained, no flattery involved,” Emperor Kim replied.

“If you don’t mind, you very well stated that you will be bringing with you your daughter, the Princess. May I ask why she is not around? Is something ailing her that traveling is not permitted?” the Empress Zhang asked.

Empress Kim smiled, “The Princess is sometimes stubborn, and I hope you excuse that attitude. She decided to walk all the way up here despite your generous offer. She says she tired herself from sitting and wants to stretch her legs.”

Emperor Zhang frowned a bit, “But that is not permissible to have a royal to walk the way up in here. That is against the delicate status of the Princess.”

“I already warned her, but I don’t want to force her either. I respect her wishes too,” Emperor Kim calmly replied.

“Then I guess we have to wait for her,” Empress Zhang motioned the Emperor to step forward and watch the stubborn Princess move on her way up, her heavy hanbok being held by two chamber maids as they took careful steps up.

 

            The Prince watched the lady walk up, the faint blow of the wind blows the tulle covering her face. The gold thread embroidered on her dress sparkle from the ray of the sun touching it. With her persistent labor, she finally made her way up, standing beside the group waiting for her. Her chamber maids started to wipe any sweat on her face as she grins at them, her chest heaving from her flight.

“My apologies to keep you waiting but the stairs are quite inviting,” she made a bow.

“But you tired yourself much dear Princess,” Empress Zhang moved to check the Princess.

“I am grateful of your concern, thank you Your Highness,” the Princess bows again.

“Then let us lead you to your chamber then so you can change,” the Empress escorts the Princess.

 

            The Prince stood rooted to his place upon witnessing the beauty of the Princess of Joseon. Her very charming and sincere smile is so enthralling; pulling him to take a step forward but his feet was glued to the floor for no reason at all. He was caught by the Princess herself which somehow made him gape at her face. The blush on her cheeks was so visible despite the thin fabric covering her face. She looks so ethereal. That very brief moment sets his heart again in a race and this time it is accompanied with utmost joy.