prologue: Book Shelves

The Road Between (Love or Faith?)

 

Luhan was rummaging through the book shelves when he met Yixing. It was accidental, to say the least. Luhan finally found the book which he had always wanted to read and was overjoyed. Smiling to himself for his small accomplishment, he pulled the book off the shelf, only to find it a tad bit difficult to do so. He bit his lips and pulled it harder, but no matter how hard he tried, the book wouldn't budge. Whoever, or whatever was on the other side obviously didn't want the book to be taken out, which made Luhan even madder. Well then, he breathed. If that was how you want it, then bring it on. He took a good grip of the book and hastily, gave it a forced tug.



Yixing was casually strolling through the aisle of books with an earpiece plugged in his left ear, humming to a song which his MP3 was playing. He was bored, and it didn't help one bit that he was told to wait for his friend, Yifan, in the library before they went for their ‘Friday shopping’ ritual. Shrugging, he walked aimlessly to every corner of the cramped space, in hopes of finding a "How To Treat Your Friends Better 101" book for Yifan. He chuckled silently at the thought. A medium sized, peachy green book on the third row of the M section suddenly caught his eye and curiously, he reached out and tugged at it, but was surprised at how hard it was to pull out. What the heck? He tried, and tried, and tried, but the person, or whatever behind the book was holding it so tight in its place that it couldn't even move a centimetre. Grunting, Yixing rolled up his sleeve and took a hold of the book. Oh, this would be interesting, he thought, and gave a hard tug.



"Ouch!"

"Hey!"

Both the boys' voices boomed from the corner of the library when they knocked the back of their heads simultaneously against each other.

"Man, that ing hurts!" Yixing cursed out loud, turning his head around so he could see who the other boy was. "Why the hell are you- oh."

Heavenly music blasted all around him and his mouth went exceptionally dry. Out of all the people, Yixing didn't expect to head someone so pretty and so.. delicate. The boy turned around too, and instead of cursing like what Yixing had did, he bowed his head, multiple times, pretty much like the hand of the cat whom the Chinese always displayed in their stores.

"I'm sorry! I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

Yixing was too dazed to say anything. He just gave the boy a solemn look till he found his voice back. "Um, it's.. it's okay."

"Really?" The pretty boy asked back. Cutely, if Yixing was to add. "Are you sure you're not hurt?"

The boy reached out his hand in an attempt to touch Yixing's scalp, and Yixing could whiff the scent of lavender on him. Oh god, the smell is too intoxicating. He pushed the boy away before he got any weird fantasies invading his train of thoughts.

"Y-You should worry about yourself, before others, I mean." Yixing almost slapped himself for being so ridiculous.

Strangely enough, the boy laughed out loud and Yixing felt himself drowning in his laughter. "I was known as a person with a very thick skull, mind you." The boy said.

He extended his hand out and Yixing stared at it with his mouth wide open. "Hi, I'm Luhan, and you're funny."

Wow, that was a weird way for self-introduction.  Yixing took his hand and shook it, ignoring the butterflies that were trying to fly out from his gut. "Name's Yixing, and you're cute."

. Major screw up. Before he even realized it, he saw the boy’s face flushed scarlet. "Um, thank you..?" Luhan fiddled with his steps, which Yixing still found cute.

This was bad. He needed to change the subject. Fast.

"So.." he started, but Luhan's round orbs were already on him. Yixing gulped in dry saliva. "So, why did you bump into me?"

Something doesn't feel right.

"Wait, let me rephrase that. 'Why did I bump into you.' Why did I bump into you? Agh! Screw this! Why did both of us bump into each other?"

All these questions were making him flustered. Yet, he was the one asking it. Was it even possible for someone to get flustered by their own questions? That didn't bother Luhan one bit though, as he seemed to be holding back his laughter. Yixing smiled. Okay, so maybe he does have that sense of humour in him.

"I bumped into you, well, because I was getting this book, my favourite one actually. It was hard to pull out, you see, so I just, used too much force, I guess."

"Well, that's exactly what I was doing!" Yixing said, a little bit too much of the happy. "What kind of book is it to be special enough for you to put so much force to pull it out?"

Luhan blushed. He flipped the book and Yixing caught sight of the title, there in big, bold letters: Love or Faith? "I-It's written by my favourite author so I just.."

"Hey," Yixing assured him. "It's not wrong for a guy to read romance novels, if that is what you’re worried about. It’s actually a good way to train the emotions in you, you know?"

Luhan smiled. "Yeah, I guess so. What about you? What did you got?"

Yixing was momentarily stunned. He slowly flipped the book. "I have no idea.. The Guardians Are Watching Over Us!" He then looked at Luhan. "I don't know, Luhan, but to me, that sounds creepy."

Luhan's eyes crinkled. "No, it's actually very sweet. Suitable for a guy like you."

Their silent laughter echoed throughout the vicinity, both left with tear-filled eyes and red cheeks when they were done.

"We should really get out of here before we really make a scene."

"Yeah, let's go. Oh, and by the way, I'm Luhan. Nice to meet you!"

"Luhan, we already did our awkward introductions. Remember?"

"Really?"

"Yup!"

“Oh.”

Yixing liked it when Luhan blushed.



As time passed by, Yixing found himself frequenting the library more than the shopping mall next to it, thanks to the one person that he always longs to meet; the one person that was able to make his heart drum like crazy in his chest; the one person that makes him all jittery and nervous when he speaks; the one person that was in Yixing's mind the whole night when he was trying to sleep. That one person was none other than Luhan, and Yixing found himself falling deeper down into the undying affection of the said male. He was going to pop him ‘the question’ someday or sooner, and he even asked Yifan about it, but the man didn't give him any awaited response. Thus, Yixing assumed that Yifan answer was a certified 'yes.'

One summer night after their dinner at an Italian restaurant Yixing finally had the courage to get down on his knees, hand clutching Luhan's, before he popped the long awaited question.

"Luhan, will you be my boyfriend?"

Without any doubt, Luhan said yes and Yixing was in cloud nine. That night, they shared their first kiss with each other.. Or so Yixing had thought..

Unbeknownst to Yixing, this was not really Luhan's first kiss, like he was told so by the man himself. And yet, no matter how many methods he had tried, or the number of solutions which he had come up with, the hole in Luhan's heart was still, very much empty.