Escaping Seems Possible

Am I Going Crazy?

The next day came as before.

I woke up. This time there was no horrifying screaming, so I felt more at "ease". I wasn't late for breakfast, so the nurse didn't get annoyed with me.

My "behaviour problems" were "improving", as said by my excuse of a doctor.

However, there was nothing to do. Most of the time here is Free Time, but there is nothing to do during these 7 hours between lunch and dinner. You were supposed to engage in activities you enjoyed.

The hospital didn't help you in finding your interests, so you had to try out many different things to see which would mildly amuse you for half and hour or so.

One activity that was listed was "socialising with your fellow patients". We never talk to each other. I was surprised about that when I first arrived here. There was a girl I wanted to befriend and when I decided to talk to her, she cursed in my face and pushed me away. I never knew why, but it seemed that no one liked each other.

However, the new guy, who was screaming of his sister, had no idea about that.

I saw him throughout the day, walking backwards and forwards as if he was expecting a nurse to ask him what was wrong or give him an activity to do. I felt bad for him, being so lost in this forsaken place, so I decided to tell him what usually happened.

Before I even had the chance to start my sentence he interrupted me.

"You're that girl right? Why didn't you reply? I was waiting- I still am. Have you decided? Will you help me escape?"

His tone of voice was quiet, yet rushed and out of breath.

I had to stop myself from giggling.

"You seem so confident. It isn't that easy to leave and you just arrived, so you're gonna be on everyone's Close Watch list. Best if you give it a few weeks."

He glared at me if I had gone mad.

"What do you mean a few weeks?!" His voice was getting louder. "I have to find my sister."

I looked at him and noticed how worried he really was. His white hair was a mess and it seemed like he hadn't had any sleep.

"I'm just trying to help. I've been here longer than you. I know more."

I saw his expression shift from worried to sad.

"But you will still help me right?"

I stood still for a few seconds, then held out my hand.

"Firstly, let's just start with introductions. I'm ____."

He slowly reached out and grabbed my hand.

"I'm Kai."

A moment of silence followed, as our hands were still intertwined. He suddenly shook his hand away and looked around.

"I thought everyone here would ignore me, but it seems that I was wrong."

"Not everyone deserves to be here. Including me." I noticed a nurse coming from the opposite end of the corridor. I knew that if she caught me talking to him, she will think he was spreading rumours to me about the outside world. As if I didn't already know enough.

"I will talk to you later." I quickly whispered as I walked past Kai and through the nearest exit.

------- 

That night I noticed another note slipped through my door. I opened it and read it.

 

"Thank you. I don't think there's much more I can say. I didn't think someone would share the same thoughts with me, so I'm glad I found you.

 

-Kai (the guy you used to not know)"