We Should Get Out Of Here

Am I Going Crazy?

I woke up because of a scream coming from next door. It sounded horrifying. It was agony. I tried covering my ears, but the high pitched shriek managaed to sneak in through the pillow and into my ears. Then I heard doctors shouting and footsteps going past my door in a hurried manner.

I don't belong here. I need to be anywhere else but here. Anywhere but home. I can't go back now. Not after what my excuse for a mother did.

The screaming became louder and more agonizing and I could feel myself starting to shake from the anxiousness. I hid under my covers. Suddenly I heard a doctor shout, "One, two, three!" and the scream fell silent. I looked above my bed covers and saw a nurse walk in. She looked at me and started cleaning the room. "Your breakfast is ready. Head down now. You're already late." she muttered, as she started shuffling my belongings, wiping the dust.

I got out of the bed in my hospital gown and walked towards the canteen. I got given my daily dose of "protein" by the angry lunch lady and sat down. Most people had left but there were still a few. They were all quiet and most weren't eating. I didn't blame them. I don't know everyone's story about how they got into this dump of a hospital, but it'll be best if I didn't ask. I was bought here by force.

My mother made me come here after noticing that I had become quiet in school and at home. She was convinced there was something wrong with me.

"A lady has to socialise. You're just acting like scum."

"I suppose scum is a personality trait inherited by you."

I remember saying. Then she was about to hit me when I ran past her and out of the house.

"You're useless!" she screamed after me. After a few days of running I was caught by the police and ended up getting sent here for my "behaviour".

--------

I finished my food. I stared at the empty dish when there was a scream from the halls. A young man burst in, obviously gasping for air, as if he was running from someone. Probably the hospital staff.

"They took my sister." he gasped.

"They took her away from me. They said I'm a danger to her." The whole canteen was silent, including myself.

"Is no one listening?!" the man shouted, veins visible on his neck. Suddenly two staff came in and grabbed him. He fought hard to get them off him, but eventually he gave up.

-----

Later, in my room, I was thinking about the man earlier. Why was he a danger? I decided to find his file and see for myself. As soon as I walked out I walked into someone. Just as I was about to get angry the figure put his finger to his mouth in a shushing gesture. It was him. The guy from before.

"I saw you today. You didn't help me." he whispered, before walking past you. As he walked away I could hear faint sobs coming from his direction. Just before he turned the corner he looked at me and said: "I'm not the only one that wants to run away, right?" I sighed and nodded.If only he knew.

Everyone hated this place. Many had tried running away, but if they were caught they were put in even stricter conditions than before, so I haven't tried it.

Yet.

We were the outcasts. Only we knew what it was like here. From the outside the hospital seemed perfectly normal.

---------

I went back to my room and was about to fall asleep when I noticed a note slip through my door. I looked at it and saw the words:

 

"We should get out of here. I'll help you if you help me.

 

- the guy you didn't help"