Trading Trust

Finding Neverland

Taemin had expected Jihyun to flip out like Minhee had when he had first brought her to his hideout, but she didn't.

It made him nervous, how at ease she was. She was quietly fascinated at everything.

The way the guys's hammock beds were almost perfectly camouflaged into the leaves of the trees. The way everything felt like home yet made her feel like she were in the middle of the forest. No... Jihyun felt as if she was a part of the forest.

It was just a small clearing in the forest. The only thing that could distinguish it from the rest of the forest is the small human-sized wooden cage off to the side under a huge tree. 

Taemin finally spoke.

"Who are you?"

He had so many questions for her, so he started with the simplest one.

Jihyun smirked at him. Despite his rough appearance, she realized he was handsome. Well, she had sort of always known that, but now that she looked closely, he was very handsome.

"I'm Byun Jihyun," she said casually. She calmly strolled around and observed the place Taemin called home.

"Why do you help me?" Taemin hurriedly flew to a stop in front of a tree to block her view from one of his most precious holes.

Jihyun noticed the hole, but purposely overlooked it.

"Are you talking about the camp?" she asked. Taemin flew away again. She was walking around too much. If she kept it up, she would find all his hiding places. She was even allies with Baekhyun.

Taemin nodded, flying off again to hide yet another hole.

"Is it not obvious enough?" Jihyun asked. "You needed my help."

Taemin thought of all the times Jihyun had saved him from being caught, whether it was because he had gotten caught in a trap or cornered in a building. She would always make up some lie or do something to help him escape. It was true that if it wasn't for her, he would probably be dead.

"Then why are you with the sea trash?" he asked, crossing his arms.

Jihyun hid a smile. He sounded jealous. It was refreshing. It was almost as if he cared.

"Baekhyun," she corrected, "is my brother."

Taemin stumbled to find words, but he was speechless. Jihyun finally stopped wandering and sat down in the cool grass, allowing her legs to stretch out. She wanted to lie down but wasn't sure how comfortable Taemin would be with it.

"How?" Taemin finally said. Jihyun understood how shocking it must be for him, but she shrugged with a mischievous smirk.

"Well, for one, we had the same parents," she answered.

Taemin sat down cross-legged beside her, waiting for more of an explanation.

His eyes were wide with curiosity. He was cute. With that look, she definitely couldn't resist.

"I don't really know either," she started. "All I know is one day, the pirates came like always, but this time Baekhyun asked to see me."

Jihyun grew quiet, remembering the day perfectly. It was a few weeks ago. Baekhyun had made the indians bring her forth like cargo and moved onto the ship.

Jihyun sighed, "He forced me to join his ship and told me I was his sister and was old enough to stay with him. I didn't even know him."

Taemin laid back into the grass as he listened carefully. The mood was heavy. He didn't like it, but she kept going.

"You know what the hardest part was?" she laughed. It was a fake laugh, but Taemin didn't say anything.

"The hardest part was that even as I screamed and fought to get off the stinky ship, no one even helped me. All the family I knew were too scared of Baekhyun and watched me get taken."

When Taemin didn't reply, she kept going.

"It isn't all bad," she said. She smiled.

"Baekhyun isn't a bad guy. The pirates leave me alone and I get to see the world."

Her voice filled with wonder as she said, "It's so beautiful..."

Taemin stood up. Seeing him move made Jihyun shut up as her eyes followed his every move. She noticed how thin he was. The whole tribe was thin actually. After the fields burned, the tribe struggled to regrow the crops but it was hard and the weather was uncooperative. The low food supply had hurt him too.

Jihyun felt a twisted knot in her gut at the thought of how badly the tribe wanted the man dead. But all she wanted was to help him.

If the chief knew, he would hate her. But for some reason, even knowing all this, Jihyun wanted to help him.

Taemin scowled. To him, the world was cruel. How could a world like this be beautiful?

"You've got it all wrong," He said flatly.

A warm breeze blew, touselling his messy hair. Taemin locked eyes with her.

"This is just a dream world."

Jihyun's eyes followed Taemin and he walked around restlessly. He suddenly looked up at her with a look that showed he didn't trust her completely... but he was considering it.

"Do you want to see the world?" Taemin asked.

~~~~~(^-^)~~~~~

Minhee followed Baekhyun as he walked toward his room.

"You're really not going to kill me?"

"Keep talking and I will," He threatened.

He sounded more annoyed than angry, so Minhee didn't believe him.

"You're really not going to save your girlfriend?" she asked. She thought they had seemed very close. He had even saved her from the pirate guy earlier.

To her surprise, Baekhyun spun around to face her and glared. For the first time, she realized that his eyes were not actually black, but a dark indigo with silver flecks. She was suddenly mesmerized, drawn in by the light dancing in his irises.

Her stare made Baekhyun uncomfortable. He didn't like it.

"She's my sister," he said firmly. "Not my girlfriend."

Before she could speak, Baekhyun had already stepped into his room and slammed the door.

He had slammed it so hard, the door had swung back open slightly.

"Hey." The voice came from behind her.

A hand on her shoulder stopped Minhee from opening the door. Minhee turned around. It was a pirate guy. She didn't recognize this guy.

He looked clean, unlike some of the other guys. His blond hair was straight and a little long. There was a gentleness in his caramel eyes that made Minhee feel at ease. He was thinner than most of the others, but more dressed up.

He wore a few earrings in each ear. He had on gold rings and lots of fancy bracelets and a simple skull necklace. Even his black pirate hat looked like it complimented his outfit perfectly.

"Are you okay?" he asked in a strange--but melodic--accent.

Minhee smiled. She was relieved by his kindness.

"Should I be?" she asked a bit sarcastically.

He laughed. He had a loud laugh that sounded just a bit crazy, but it made her smile.

"I guess not," He grinned, flashing her his perfect, white teeth.

He motioned for her to follow him. He was practically skipping as he led her to the other side of the ship.

He turned around to face her, walking backwards.

"I'm Key by the way," He smiled at Minhee.

"Minhee," she greeted back. She realized that she hadn't properly introduced herself to anyone on the ship.

Well, they hadn't exactly given her a reason to introduce herself.

"It's a beautiful name," He said earnestly, turning back around. He stopped at a short wooden door and pulled out a small key.

The room was lit by a small lamp.

"Whoops!" Key hurried over and blew out the flame. "Captain would scold me for that..."

With a heavy sigh, Key turned around to face her. Minhee had just barely stepped in.

"Ah! Please take off your shoes," Key said.

Minhee reluctantly kicked off her sneakers and walked in.

"You can stay in here with me if you'd like. It's much better than that other room." Key straightened the already-straightened sheets on the small bed and sat down.

"You can sleep on the bed. I'll get the floor," He offered. Key shrugged.

"Or if it makes you uncomfortable, I'll sleep with someone else." Key patted the top of her head.

"It's okay," Minhee said. She didn't feel safe alone in a room like this.

"Keep me company," she requested.

Key nodded.

"It's set then," He smiled. "You should really get some rest."

Then he left, and she was alone. Minhee looked around her. There was a small table that served as a desk. On it was the lamp from earlier. A circular window was above it. A small bookcase sat beside the bed. It contained a few maps and scrolls. With a closer look, Minhee discovered a book on music. She laid down on the bed, deciding to trust in her new friend. It was better than staying on deck with those other pirates.

~~~~~(^-^)~~~~~

I love this new character already ;)