At Long Last

My Sweet Mistake

Chapter 2

"KEY HYUNG!" 

From a short distance, Key could make out a figure of one of his very good friends, Taemin. They were friends since young which explains their close bond now. 

"KEY HYUNG I PASSED MY SCIENCE EXAM!" Taemin screamed in happiness as he throws himself onto Key. Key almost fall back due to the weight. 

"I'm so proud of you" Key said, flashing him a warm smile. 

"YOU'RE SO MUCH MORE BETTER THAN MRS KWON" Taemin said. "NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD PASS THIS SUBJECT.. EVER"

He calmed down for a bit before he looks at him in the eye "Thank you Key hyung for teaching me"

"How about a treat since you did well?" 

"YES" Taemin chuckled. 

Fortunately, both of their classes have already ended for the day. This is also the perfect timing for them to catch up on everything they've missed before. 

"The run yesterday was horrible. I threw up" Key told him about the run he had.

"Aigoo.. Did you drank too much water or did you had a heavy meal before running?"

"I think I drank too much" Key shrugged and laughed "It was one hell of a run. Minho finished first"

"Minho hyung is so athletic and fast and fit and so handsome" Taemin chuckled to himself. 

"Im going to tell Minho" 

"No! No! No! Don't" Taemin blushed. 

"Ooh Taemin has a crush on the school's captain~~" Key cooed. 

Taemin slapped Key's hands playfully with a pout. Key laughed and patted Taemin's head. 

Key is having a smooth day with nothing going wrong until he bumped onto Jonghyun while he's on the streets with Taemin. He happens to be with another girl and she's from Key's class as well and that makes Key fume. 

"Amber?! Have I not discuss about this the other day?!" Key pulled her to the side away from Jonghyun "He's such a jerk! You can't go with someone like him"

Taemin stood awkwardly beside Jonghyun, just watching Key trying to talk some sense into his classmate. Since Jonghyun is right next to someone Key is close with, he decided to ask Taemin about him. 

"May I ask you something?" 

Taemin nods. 

"How is Key like? Everybody says Key is nice but he's acting so coldly towards me"

The moment Key realised that Jonghyun is trying to talk to Taemin, he quickly ended off his little nag session with Amber and rushed over to Taemin's side. Jonghyun cursed under his breath. 

"Don't talk to someone as cruel as him. Get it?"

"O-Okay" Taemin laughed nervously and followed Key. He managed to turn around and mouthed the words "I'm sorry" towards Jonghyun. 

.

.

.

.

.

It was finally a Friday. Classes were quite slack too today. The teachers are mostly doing their regular revisions for the week. 

Onew and Jonghyun were sitting at the very back of the class and they weren't even paying attention to what the teacher was talking. Onew was fiddling with his pen while Jonghyun was staring into blank space, probably thinking of something.. or someone.

"Can I ask you something?" 

Onew nods. 

"You cannot ignore it, promise?" 

Onew nods. 

"Tell me why Key is acting so coldly towards me and not others. Is it because I'm a jerk?"

Onew sighs and looks at him. "You can't find the answer by yourself?"

"Just tell me.. Please" 

"Why do you want to know? As far as I'm concerned, you never bothered with Key's existence before this" 

"I have always wanted to talk to him okay! But it just feels like he's too good for me" He sighed.

"Fine. I'll help you this time round. But in one condition" Onew chuckled at the thought of it. 

"What?"

"You have to treat the three of us KFC afterwards"

"With Key?"

Onew nods, grinning "Better that way"

So Onew began telling Jonghyun everything, from a-z about why he never introduced Key to Jonghyun. It was all because...

//Flash back//

"Can you please let me talk to him?" 

"No, he's going to break your heart and I don't want you to feel hurt"

"Just for the fun of it, I promise"

"I don't trust you with this. You're just going to go on a date with him for the fun of it, but if he suddenly stops texting you, I know for sure you're going to be sad"

Key sighed "You know me too well"

"Please, don't go out with him. I really don't want you to get hurt"

.

.

.

.

.

.

One fine day, Jessica, a classmate of Key's ran into the classroom during free period, bawling her eyes out. Her cheeks were all wet with her tears, her eyes are red and puffy from all that crying and her nose is stuffy. Key happens to be in the class at the moment so he attended to her. 

"Jess! Are you okay?! Oh my god what happened?!" 

"I... I broke up.. J-Jonghyun.. hates me!" She said in between her sobs. 

Key was shocked. He found out more details about what Jonghyun did to her, kissing another girl and showing excessive public display of affection towards someone else when he's still dating her. It all happened too quick and all Jess could remember was how intense their kiss was and how her heart shattered into a million pieces. 

Key knows Jonghyun break girl's hearts but he never thought he would do it that way. He thought he would just leave them hanging and slowly forgot about whatever just happened. But no, he does it this way.. which hurts much more. 

Key clenched his fists in anger. Now he knows why Onew never wants him near him. It was all because he doesn't want him to feel what Jess is feeling right now. 

Oh Kim Jonghyun...

\\End of Flash back\\

"And another reason is because you made his classmate really depressed, that's why he really kind of hates you" Onew explained. 

It took a while before Jonghyun could take it all in. That was a lot of information. He could still remember Jessica's face when she caught him with another girl. Still, he never apologised and it bothers him but he keeps reminding himself that he's a player, that's what he does. Break their hearts and leave without a word. Right?

"Wow" was all Jonghyun could say. 

"Yeah, wow. And lucky you never came up to him before because if not, he probably is heartbroken by now"

"I didn't know.. about Jessica being depressed and I feel... bad about it"

Onew smiles at his friend "Key always goes with Jessica and Amber after school. If you apologise to her in front of Key, maybe he would cut you some slack"

"Really?" Jonghyun's eyes lights up. 

"Yeah. Now let's just wait till this boring class ends" Onew glanced at the wall clock and sighed.. 

Right after class, he went to Key's classroom and waited for him outside. The moment the students rushed out of the classroom, he made a look out for Key and the other two girls. Well, it looks like Minho aka that popular captain of the school's football team is tagging along too.

He takes in a deep breath before he made his move.

"Jess?" 

The girl turned around and was taken aback at the sight of Jonghyun. She had no words, she had nothing to say. She just.. stayed silent.

"I'm.. I just knew about what you had gone through when we had that break up and I-"

"Excuse me" Key walked in and broke the two apart "Don't you dare come any closer to anyone in this class"

"Key" Jessica puts one hand on his shoulder "It's going to be okay"

"Okay? Okay?! After what he did to you, it's not okay! Jonghyun, please get out of here, I beg of you" 

"Jess, I-" 

But Key cuts Jonghyun's sentence halfway and pushed him the opposite direction.

"Leave" Key glared at him. 

Jonghyun cranes his neck to see if Jess is still looking. He then takes up the courage and shouts "I AM SORRY JESS, FOR EVERYTHING"

The look on Key's face was priceless. He never thought that that was what he came for. Jonghyun didn't say anything to Key and joined Onew who was waiting by a distance.

"You did it" Onew smiled. 

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Key was by his locker, adjusting some of his things. He didn't notice Jonghyun's presence until he closed his locker. He wanted to make his leave immediately but as what he expected, that other Kim stopped him. 

"Key, can you give me a chance to talk?"

"No" Key said, still not looking at him. 

"As long as I'm holding your arm, you're not going anywhere" He smirked. 

Impatient, he hissed "What do you want?"

"Listen, I know you wanted to talk to me... Before all those things that happened to Jess" Jonghyun began. Key pursed his lips. 

"And I'm still okay with it if you still want to because I have always felt the same way" 

"Why?" Key asked. 

"Because I.. I want to know you more. Not like a date but.. as a friend?"

"Is that how you ask girls out? Taking it slowly and then ask them out and break their hearts?"

"Of course not. If I want to go out with them, I'd just say it straight"

Key looked at how his hands grip his arm. He somehow wished he would do that, but in a more sweeter way. 

Oh my god Key what are you thinking?!

He throws that thought away and simply looked into Jonghyun's eyes. He wanted the truth and he knows eyes don't lie. 

"K-Key, why are you looking at me like that?"

"Tell me the truth" Key demanded "Because if you don't, I'll keep looking into your eyes"

"What if I like it?" 

"Don't play jokes with me, idiot" Key's famous laser eye stare never gets old.

"Okay okay, fine! I do want to go out with you, maybe a date, maybe not. I've been dying to say this to you but I feel like you're too good for me, that's why I never come up to you before"

"What?" Key's eyes soften. 

"I know that you wanted to do the same too. Onew told me everything"

"Curse you, Lee Jinki" Key cussed under his breath. 

"So can we.. you know, be... friends?"

"Onew warned me to stay away from you" Key looks away "So I'll do as he says"

"Give me a chance, please. I'll prove to you that I'm not that bad" 

"Let me go then"

Jonghyun slowly let go of his arm. He expected Key to run off but he didn't. 

"You better prove it to me. You got to do whatever it takes to earn my trust" Key says. 

"Okay. For starters, let's go have KFC after school with Onew. It's my treat"

Key can't help but lets out a small smile. 

After school they all gathered together to head over to KFC. Onew was excited as per usual because... CHICKEN! Key and Jonghyun are still awkward around each other but that will wear off soon. 

"I love chicken so much" Onew said happily. 

"You tell me that every time" Jonghyun laughs. 

"Yeah he tells me that every time too" Key adds. 

"So, you two doing okay?" 

Jonghyun and Key exchanged looks. 

"I don't know to be honest. Let's see how all this works out" Jonghyun says. 

"So tell me, why do you like doing what you're doing" Key decided to ask. Plus, he's curious. 

There's a long story that comes up with it and he doesn't know if it's the right time to tell him about this yet. The setting of the place and time is not right. Maybe he should keep that to himself first. 

"I just like it. Going out with different people and get to know them a little. Have fun.. I don't know. It's just amazing to hang out and date with many kinds of people of different personalities" 

"And break their hearts?" Key raised an eyebrow. 

His heart sank. He remembered the reason why he started this 'player' kind of attitude and it was all because of one girl. She made it so hard for him. And now he's this changed person and the only reason was because of her. 

People don't have a favourite game year after year. One day it will eventually change. So he knows this game he's playing isn't going to last forever. Until after that special someone walks into his life, that's when he'll probably stop for good. 

"Let's not talk about it, shall we? I don't feel comfortable talking about it right now"

"Hm okay then"

"What about you?" Jonghyun asked him. 

"I have nothing special. I'm just.. Kim Kibum. People regard me as a diva in the school, well.. maybe I am but.. maybe I'm not"

Kim Jonghyun and Kim Kibum. 

Two Kims. Whatever will happen between the two of them?

From that day onwards, Onew noticed some slight changes between Key and Jonghyun. They have never acknowledge of each other's existence the last time.. well actually they do but the only difference is that they didn't talk or smile, BUT NOW THEY DO. 

"We should go watch the soccer match later" Onew suggested, glancing at his watch. 

"I don't like Minho" Jonghyun made a disgusted look on his face "He's so.."

"If Key heard you saying that he's going to hate you all over again" Onew warned. 

"So are we going to watch the football match?"

Onew nods his head "Yeah. Hurry, Key already saved two seats for us"

"Key?" 

"Of course he's going to be there. His best friend is playing on the field today" Onew laughed. 

Jonghyun smiles "Then I'm for sure going to watch the football match. Let's go!"

Yup, the changes between the two of them are pretty evident. 

 

A/N

Is this chapter long enough? Hahaha 

Hope you like it

Do subscribe & comment :D