1/2

To be side by side with my favorite side of you

Over the years Sehun had known him, he had seen many different sides to Yixing. All of them charming, all of them qualities and attributes that made Yixing nothing short of lovable. Even if he didn't always show it in the most obvious of manners, Sehun loved and appreciated Yixing for everything he was – and Yixing was a lot of things.

There was shy Yixing, who would gaze down at the feet of the person opposite to him and awkwardly rub the back of his own neck whenever he felt nervous.

Then there was polite Yixing, who would fold himself in half for everyone who passed him by, never ever forgetting his manners. It didn't matter if he met the rich or the poor, the old or the young, Yixing would show his utmost respect to whomever he would encounter.

Eccentric Yixing would say the strangest, most adorable things.

Moodmaker Yixing was the funniest out of everyone without trying, or even realizing it. Sehun was quite fond of that fact. Not once would Yixing brag about his ability to entertain people like Baekhyun hyung and, to a lesser extent, Chanyeol hyung did. Even with his humor Yixing was as humble as ever.

Hardworking Yixing would become nostalgic about the time they spent as trainees because of how long he has already been in the industry and how long it has taken for him to reach this stage of success and popularity. Sehun knew Yixing appreciated EXO's success in a way he himself could never understand. He could see the way Yixing continuously strove to become better at singing, dancing, composing – how he walked along the path he had slowly paved for himself, determined, to become the musician he had always wanted to become. Sehun loved every moment when Yixing's fingers would press on ivory keys or metal strings and he was there to listen.

Friendly Yixing would get along with everyone and was able make new friends without even noticing it. It often seemed as if nothing could get him down and he was always there to pick others up.

Strong Yixing would practice hard, unrelenting, despite his injuries. He would whip himself into going that extra mile, regardless of how much it hurt. The injuries would get Yixing down, not because he was bothered by the way they ached, but because he knew he could do so much better without them. Sehun knew Yixing only blamed himself for the injuries, for not making faster progress or faster recovery. Sometimes Sehun thought the wise Yixing, who had been hardened by the many years he had worked in the entertainment industry, was an idiot.

Helpful Yixing would do everything he could to make others feel better – even if it meant he himself had to suffer. Sehun wished Yixing were more selfish sometimes. He was one of the hyungs, he had the right to. However, as a Chinese person, Yixing strongly believed they were all equal. They were all friends of the same standing and Yixing would always rather catch a cold than watch a friend shiver in the humid, cool air of the Han River at night.

Playful Yixing would joke around with Luhan whenever they were supposed to be representing EXO-M. Sehun would listen to the tonal language spill from Yixing's lips. It sounded so foreign, yet so familiar. Sometimes Sehun hoped Yixing would talk to him in Mandarin, whisper the soft words right into his ear, even if he wouldn't be able to understand any of it. Other times Sehun wondered if it was completely acceptable to pop a semi for a language.

Filial Yixing, whose love for parents and grandparents was rivaled by none, was one of the most known sides of him. The fans loved it, the public valued it, Sehun thought it was charming. Seeing the wide, dimpled smile Yixing had upon his face when he got to visit Baekhyun's grandmother during a rare weekend off had been worth every second of the -numbing ride to Yanggu and back.

Sweet, dopey Yixing would be impossibly clueless and even fall asleep during the most surprising times. There were moments when Yixing was without a single clue of what is going on around him. Sehun didn't mind. Filling Yixing in was a good excuse to wrap an arm around him and pull him close to murmur in his ear about something completely insignificant that Yixing would be just as good off not knowing, like how Luhan hyung and Minseok hyung had gone to get coffee and gotten mistaken for a gay couple because of the way the former acts around the latter. That guy really needs to control the fanservice when they're off the clock or just go ahead and confess already.

Sensitive Yixing would attempt to wiggle away from Sehun whenever the maknae softly blew air onto his neck. Sometimes he would even gently, playfully slap Sehun to express his annoyance at being teased. What was basically a touch of a hand in exchange for Sehun's lips briefly grazing Yixing's neck – Sehun didn't consider it a bad deal at all.

Brotherly Yixing would always let you lean against him. His shoulder was always there to support Sehun's head, his neck was always there for Sehun's arms to wrap around. Yixing was too kind, even lending his body to others for comfort. In the darkest of moments, during the darkest of hours, Sehun pondered if he could perhaps borrow more than a shoulder or a couple of armfuls.

And then there was Yixing when he danced. When he moved around on stage in his performance outfit, make up flawless and hair perfectly styled. When he spent hours sweating in the practice room, his attention on the details and the neckline of his sleeveless top hanging dangerously low. His sharp yet sensual and smooth movements, his body submitting to the confines of the choreography but still fighting against it by putting Yixing's own spin into everything he did. His piercing eyes that looked at the camera, the crowd, the practice room mirror that reflected the clouds on the back wall, making it look like he was dancing up in the sky, in heaven. If it wasn't for Yixing's expression turning into something y, something sinful, Sehun might have thought every now and then that Yixing really was an angel like some of their fans argued he was. Sehun liked dancing with Yixing but he loved watching him dance. All those moments when he was there, sitting in the front row, eager and entranced, to witness the side of Yixing that came out only when he danced.

During their appearance at the China Big Love Concert back in September, Sehun had been sure he had seen that side of Yixing manifest itself without any particular moves to pull it out. He had often hoped but he hadn't ever believed he would see that without any music to accompany it, see a glimpse of that one side of Yixing that left him breathless more often than he would like to admit... until the kiss. It had been quick, fleeting, and under the guise of a game but Sehun was sure that spark in his eye, that telltale sign of a confident, almost cocky, y Yixing had been right there, right in front of him. Sehun knew he hadn't been imagining it. Thinking about how he was the one who got to see it up close made him feel excited to the point where he could, almost, literally feel the sparks beneath his skin and to wonder if, if by any chance or a of luck, he would be able to draw that side of Yixing out again.

Sehun was able to fight it during the Miracles in December promotions, even with Yixing playing that grand piano on stage, looking so innocent and ethereal dressed in all white, and he managed to tough it out through the awards season into the new year, until one day when all the thoughts he had been entertaining about Yixing in his head mixed with the beat of Overdose thumping through the practice room door and Sehun decided to throw caution to the wind, or onto the floor of the hallway outside the practice room, and go for it, just do it already.

He looked down at his feet.

The logo on his shoes seemed to be cheering him on.