Existence

Reminiscing Rose
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'Just one day.'

'Just one day.'

31st August 2027

2:46 p.m.

A heavy smell of medicine and anaesthetic entered the man’s nose as he opened the door. It was awfully cold in the bleached white room despite the hot weather. The curtains were draped to the side, sunlight giving the room a slight blaze. Jungkook walked to the centre, where a girl was lying on the single bed. Around her were countless machines and monitors, each functioning to keep her alive. Needles and tubes surrounded her too, and they once again reminded Jungkook of how his loved one was fighting between life and death.

He gave her a light kiss on the forehead before sitting down on a chair next to the bed. He also studied her—a habit he could not seem to let go—in silence. The sunlight helped her brown hair glow, her pale features stealing some warmth. She was the same as yesterday, the day before, even a month ago. How long had it been since she fell into a comatose state?

“Jagiya, I'm taking Jaehyun home today," he told his wife, despite knowing that he would not receive a reply.

"I finished painting the nursery. It's green, just like you want it to be," he smiled as he removed a single hair strand that was out of place.

But still, she said nothing.

“Jagiya, are you still mad? Is that why you are doing this to me?”

Four months. He had been doing all these for four months.

"Jagiya, I miss you," Jungkook murmured softly. As he felt his heart shatter once more, he wondered why everything turned out this way. "Jangmi, please. I miss you."

He missed her brown eyes the most.

5th February 2018

11: 07 p.m

It had been a very long time since she stepped foot into the Han household. The last time she was there was for spring cleaning a few years back. Jangmi had managed to drag Jungkook and all 6 of his hyungs to help her clean the house up. It was not as grand and colossal as the Jeon mansion; the bungalow was like any other 2-storey house. However, cleaning it was a whole different thing. The boys suddenly felt grateful for their maids and butlers when they had finished cleaning.

The Han house was one of the assets that her parents left her, along with quite an amount of inheritance. As an only child and sole heiress, everything was enough for Jangmi to last a lifetime. The girl was currently in her last year studying in university. She did have plans to continue her studies in the future, but as of now, nothing was certain.

But one thing was, and that was how she loved this house, especially the backyard which was also her late mother’s garden. She remembered how back at the Jeon household, Yoon Najung was a green woman herself. Boy, the two were really best friends. But the garden of the Han’s was no longer beautiful; flowers had long wilt, the green leaves now the colour of the sunset.

The night was dark despite being decorated with dazzling stars. Most of the houses there had their lights off, signalling that the neighbourhood had went into deep slumber. Light raindrops were carried by the night wind, adding cold and dampness to the night. 

Jangmi closed her eyes and breathed in the crisp air and it sent shivers down her spine. In her moment of relaxation and calmness, she could not help but to hear street lights flickering on and off; they were disturbing her silence. The hollow chirps and clear cricket sounds added to the disturbance too.

“Why are you on the ground?”

Jangmi fluttered her eyes opened and abruptly turned her head towards the source of the voice. She sighed with a thin smile when she saw who it was. “Just because,” she replied lazily, once again closing her eyes.

The girl heard the boy’s rough footsteps approaching her; she wondered why she did not realise them sooner. Her right side suddenly became warmer and she could smell his intoxicating cologne. “Well this is no fun,” the boy said.

“Silence is golden, Jungkook.”

“It’s boring.”

“Then don’t be here.”

Jungkook cringed at her answer. “Ouch. That hurts jagiya.”

“I’m not your jagiya,” the words rolled of her tongue automatically. She was this close to falling asleep, if only the boy would sod off and go away. Yeah, like that would happen.

Despite her closed eyes, Jangmi could literally hear her companion smirk. “You’ll be my jagiya tomorrow,” he chirped happily, earning a grunt from the girl. “I can’t believe the wedding is tomorrow.”

“I can’t believe you’re here.”

Jungkook chuckled, pulling her right hand up and started twirling the ring on her finger. “Are you still mad at my mom?”

“No,” she answered in a harsh tone. “I’m mad at you.”

“How is it my fault?” he looked at her in disbelief.

“Jungkook,” she opened her eyes and turned to look at him straight into the orbs. “I like your hyungs. I like them very, very much. But to have Kim freaking Taehyung walk me down the aisle? Are you serious?”

“Look, I know that Taehyung-hyung can be a little crazy at times--”

“A little? Really?” she cut him off and shook her hand away from his, looking back to the stars above. “The wedding rehearsal was already a mess. I don’t want tomorrow to be a disaster. And having Taehyung-oppa walk me down the aisle is as good as securing a nightmare!”

He let out a frail sigh. “Jangmi, look at me.”

She ignored him.

“Han Jangmi, look at me,” he tried again.

She stayed silent.

“It’s not about Taehyung-hyung, is it? You’re flustered about something else,” he spoke of his conclusion. “Come on, tell me. What is making you so mad?”

No answer.

She was not crying, so he knew that whatever it was, it was not that heavy of a matter. He took her hand again gently turned her to the side so that she would be facing him. She did not look sad, just angry and annoyed.

“Would you please tell me what’s wrong?”

There was a pregnant pause between them; she made him wait, long.

“All of it. Everything is wrong. We’re not supposed to be doing this, Jungkook. We’re not ready, I’m not ready. I can’t do this. There should be no wedding tomo—”

He silenced her with a kiss.

The girl looked more annoyed when he pulled away. “Well that was rude.”

“You didn’t seem to mind.” He grinned. “So there, we’re done practising our kiss for tomorrow. There’s nothing more that you should be worried about.”

She rolled her eyes. “You Jeons are seriously going to be the death of me one day.”

“Oh jagi, we Jeons do not kill one of our own so don’t worry. All you have to do is say ‘I do’ tomorrow and I guarantee you that no Jeons will even lay a finger on you.”

She snorted. “I doubt that.”

“Why? Surely you can trust your future husband.”

“I’m going to walk down the aisle tomorrow and a Jeon is going to be my husband. He can’t even keep his hands off of me now.” She held her hand that was sealed with his up. “imagine what he will do after everything is official.”

Jungkook openly chuckled and kissed the brunette’s crown. “Aren’t you being sly right now?”

“A tired woman is a cunning one,” she agreed.

He chuckled further. “I never heard that one before.”

“I made it up on the spot. Give me some credit, sheesh.”

“Okay, okay. My Jangmi is always a smart cookie, isn’t she?” he cooed.

“Unbelievable,” she sighed. “I forbid you from calling me ‘jagi’ and now you use ‘my Jangmi’? Welcome to Slytherin.”

“Wow. You are tired.”

“And annoyed. You can’t forget annoyed.”

“With Taehyung-hyung?”

“No, with you. I’m annoyed with you,” Jangmi clarified.

“And that is because?”

“You just crashed my bachelorette party,” she said bluntly, adding more sarcasm to her voice. “And before you ask, yes. I don’t have any girlfriends. They’re just too noisy, you’re hyungs are enough for me to cope with." Okay, none of the two statements were real, but still.

“This is your bachelorette party?” he cracked up. “God! Jangmi, I thought you were running away. Do you have any idea how you sent me and my hyungs on a wild goose chase?"

She snickered. “No one told you guys to do so."

"You should have seen my mom's face when we realised that you were gone.”

"I didn’t make a bad impression to my future mother-in-law, did I?”

“Are you kidding me?” he kissed her hair again and played with her bangs. “The last person my omma would ever hate is you. But don’t push your luck that much though."

"How did you find me anyway?"

"Your phone GPS. The tracking application thingy.""

"How come you didn't find me right away?"

"You try having your fiancee going missing, your mom scolding you and have your six friends bombing you five hundred questions each."

“Oh,” she murmured, stifling a giggle. “You really can’t get your hands off of me, can you?”

“Don’t,” he continued playing with her hair, “even go there.”

“Got it Kookie.” That name caught him off guard; she seldom called him by that dreaded nickname. “I guess this is the part where I tell you all my concerns?”

She felt his head nod. “Always at your service.”

“Here it goes then.” She took in a deep breath. “Should we be doing this?Isn't this too soon? I don't even know what to think anymore. It’s just that, you’re a . . . ”

"Now you're dropping the machine gun on me." He chuckled. “ Let me guess, is it because I'm a Jeon?”

“Well, exactly,” she hung her head low.

“Jangmi, if this is abou--”

“The pressures of becoming a Jeon just scare me, Jungkook. I’m afraid that I’m not cut out for this life. You’re going to take over the company one day and the best I can make out from my future is becoming a lawyer.”

“I see no wrong in that. I’m pretty sure that you’re going to be one heck of a lawyer and we won’t have to hire bloodsucking attorneys for the company.”

“That’s not the point,” she said with half-lidded eyes. “I mean,” she continued, “look at your mom, and look at me. She’s a businesswoman with laser eyes and sharp instincts. A woman like her is a perfect candidate to marry into the Jeon family. Then look at me, I’m only a--”

“I am looking at you, Jangmi,” he murmured softly above her crown. “And I see the woman I love, the girl I want to protect and cherish for the rest of my life. Nothing else matters to me, Jangmi. But I have to admit, you being beautiful and having a high IQ are like the icing on the cake.

“You do know that my mother didn’t come from a family like my father’s too, don’t you? Heck, my maternal grandparents are middle class. Not that I have any issues with middle class people. Nope, definitely not.” He chuckled while she giggled softly. “The point is, my father married my mother because he loves her; statuses didn’t matter to him. And now, I am following his footsteps. I will be waiting for you at the end of the aisle tomorrow, because I love you.

“Besides, my mother turned out great. I’m sure you’ll match her in no time, you lawyer,” Jungkook finished and looked down to his fiancée, meeting her stunned eyes.

“What?” he asked as an amused smile curved on his lips.

No answers were given, she could only stare at him with her amazed brown eyes.

Jungkook let out another chuckle and lowered his head, kissing her on the lips. The girl laid there motionlessly for a few moments before regaining her senses and returning the kiss.

“I know that the wedding seems rushed and maybe looks like I’m only doing this to take responsibility on . . . what had happened.” They both inwardly shuddered at the memory. “Well, I’m not going to lie. I am taking responsibility. But mostly?" he gave her his brightest smile. “I love you.”

Jangmi turned away and averted her gaze to the night sky, she needed something to make her flushed cheeks stop blushing. Her fiancée flashed a Cheshire grin, knowing from her red cheeks that she was flustered and nervous.

“You know, jagiya,” Jangmi—still with her hot cheeks and pumping veins—tried her best not to squirm. “You have to say something. I think it was you having the pre wedding jitters?”

She cleared with a fake cough. “I need some peace.”

“Oh great. I just poured my heart out and now you’re ignoring me? Some fiancée.”

“The one and only, Jungkook.”

“The only girl I know that loves white roses but hates chocolates. I wonder where that came from.”

“Oh for the love of--”She opened her eyes and once again fixed her gaze on him. “—now you’re questioning my favourites? I’m hurt, I’m seriously hurt.” She gave him her playful sad look.

He rolled her eyes. “You will be one heck of a good lawyer one day. You sure know how to avoid questions and change subjects.”

“You think so? I'll make good use of it in the future then.” She beamed cheekily.

“As long you don’t use it in our marriage,” he warned her mischievously before dropping his grin into a softer smile. “You okay now?”

Her hands went up to his head to play with his hair. “Mhm.”

“We need to communicate more you know,” he said in a playful manner, earning a light tap on his forehead from the girl.

“Let us see if I make it down the aisle tomorrow. Then, we can talk about communications.”

“You’re kidding me, right?”

“We’ll see.” She grinned slightly. “I mean, if Taehyung-oppa messes up tomorrow, I am going to flee and get out of this country to avoid all the humiliation.”

“Oh come one, what is the worst thing he could do tomorrow?” he challenged, tickled by her worries of his hyung.

“For starters? Make me trip, like this evening,” she sighed. “I wasn’t even wearing heels. I wore flats, flats!” Jangmi face palmed.

At hearing her words, the lad rolled and sat up. He took out his phone and started dialling someone. Jangmi—now recovered from her inner nightmare—knitted her brows together as she witnessed Jungkook’s sudden action.

“Yobeoseyo? Hyung?” Jangmi’s eyes widened. “Ah,deh. You guys are what? But hyung!” Jungkook looked at the girl beside him, “I already found her. Ah, okay, wait up.”

He put his phone down and the speaker. “Hyung? You guys are on speaker now.”

They heard a buzz and a muffle before someone finally responded from the other side. “Jangmi~!" that was definitely Taehyung.

“Yah! Give me the phone!” Jimin? Or was it Hoseok? “J-jang!” It was Hoseok alright.

“Get off of my face, you horse!” another voice was heard. “Rosie, you there?”

“Namjoon-oppa--”

“Oh my God Jimin! I’m trying to sleep here! Get off me!”

“But Yoongi-hyung, maknae and Jangmi are on the phone.”

“Let him sleep will you, kid?”

“But Jin-hyung--”

“And give me back my phone, aish,” more muffles. “Maknae?”

“Hyung” Jungkook sighed. “Shut up first okay? Let me speak.”

Silence.

“Uh, we’re waiting?”

“He told us to shut up Taehyung!”

“Yah! Park Jimin! Who are you to--” Jungkook and Jangmi heard a smacking sound. A very loud one.

Jungkook cleared his throat. “So, about tomorrow. Are you guys going to play rock-paper-scissors again?”

“Rock-paper-scissors?” Jangmi asked.

“For the wedding tomorrow? Hell yeah!” Hoseok replied.

“My hands are golden. You guys won’t beat me, a’ha!”

“Kim Taehyung! Just shut up and let me sleep or I swear I’m going to cut off your hands.”

“Well that’s scary.”

“Shut up!” all 5 boys—Taehyung excluded—yelled.

They heard a long sigh from the other side. “Ignore the rest, maknae-duel. I’m going to walk with Jangmi tomorrow. So don’t worry about tripping, okay Jangmi?”

“Jin-opp--”

“This evening was so funny!” Hoseok cut off the girl’s words. “Uh, I mean Tae-tae was funny. Not you J-jang, not you.”

“It was an accident, I swear!” Taehyung defended. “Did you run away because of that, Jangmi? I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry, I’m sorry. I swear, if you give me another chance, I will--”

“Like that’s going to happen—”

“Holy ! Jin-hyung, there’s a ghost chasing us! Drive faster, drive faster!”

“This is why you can’t drink, Taetae.”

“But Namjoon-hyung. It’s right there……no! Don’t look at it or els--”

“I am going to chain you to pieces, Kim Taehyung! Would you just shut up?!”

Jungkook and Jangmi shook their heads with their brows furrowed. Jungkook gave Jangmi a glance as the line started to buzz again. “Hy-hyung?”

 Namjoon answered them.“Yoongi-hyung is killing Taetae right now.” They heard punches and kicks from the background. “The signal is going off, we’ll meet up tomorrow.”

“Eh? But we were just--”

“Can’t help it, maknae, Rosie. We’ll see you two tomorrow. Bye.” And with a click, the line ended.

Jangmi once again landed on the ground with a thud, rolling while she was at it. The girl ran a hand through her brunette hair and tousled it. “That’s it, I’m out.” She turned and faced the sky. “I love you, but I’m out.”

“Jin-hyung said that he’s going to walk with you tomorrow, didn’t he? I’m sure he’s saner when it comes down to him and Taehyung-hyung.”

“Ugh.”

6th February 2018

9: 57 p.m

The wedding did not turn out to be a nightmare. In fact, Jangmi dare said that it was one of the best days in her life. She did not trip despite the heels her mother-in-law made her wear, nor did the insides of her come out when the she realised that all eyes were on her. Though, it did make her wonder whether the guests were looking at her or Jin. The always charming man definitely managed to steal the show with his y smirk and morning hair. But hey, he guided all the way to Jungkook, so Jangmi did not mind his (overdosed) handsomeness at all.

Besides, the groom was more striking in her eyes.

He reached for her almost immediately, taking her hand in his. Jin gave them a (fatherly?) smile before joining the rest of the boys who were standing on Jungkook’s left. They exchanged vows, and with a kiss, everything was sealed.

She met many famous people in the business industry; some were friendly, others were a bit judging. Nonetheless, the guidance and warmth that her new parents and husband (who was equally clueless, by the way) made her feel safe. She was not ready to face this kind of world, but deep down, she knew that everything was going to be just fine.

Traditionally, a mother-son and father-daughter dance should take centre stage. Jungkook waltzed in with his mother, while Jangmi (surprisingly) was forced to choose from six men. It was a hilarious scene for both Jangmi and the guests. The usually cool-looking boys were at each other’s throats trying to have the couple dance. Jangmi ended up dancing with all six, in fear that serious was going to happen should she choose not to. Jin and Namjoon literally had two left feet, Taehyung and Yoongi were decent while Jimin and Hoseok definitely leaded the pack. But her favourite dance partner was her husband, Jungkook. She danced in her flats (thanks to Jin) and the night went quite smoothly. 

Then the toasting happened.

Once again, all six of Jungkook’s hyungs took centre stage.

Let's just say that the night turned awfully crazy after that.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

The original plan was to get married, study for a few more years and get steady jobs--him working for the family’s company and her as a lawyer. They stuck by the plan, but there were roadblocks in the first years.

They moved to the Han household weeks after their marriage as the two decided to get a real taste of married life (whatever that meant). Plus, the house was also near their campus. Jungkook—after much pressing and nagging from his wife—was awarded with a Bachelor’s Degree in Chemical Engineering. He decided to challenged himself and did two things at once—working for his father and furthering his studies—for the next four years.

At the age of twenty-two, Jangmi managed to get her Bachelor of Laws degree with flying colors. While Jungkook studied and worked, she took in a few middle school students to tutor while she waited for the bar exam. Her first try was a successful one, and she entered a two-year training course at the JRTI for future lawyers.

By the age of twenty-seven, Jeon Jungkook was appointed Vice President of Quarter Gold, scheduled to replace his father should the older man step down. Everyone expected him to do so, but it did not mean that Jungkook slacked off. After all, his father did put him through torture during his first few years. Jangmi on the other hand, was officially a lawyer and was working in a steady law firm.

Everything seemed well at the ninth year mark, but their marriage was no fairytale, just simply real life. Having known each other all their life definitely helped, but there were still days where things were not so beautiful. Jungkook and Jangmi had to work hard and faced many hardships and uphill battles. They even questioned their past decisions along the way. But ultimately, they were happy.

Besides, not every roadblock was a bad one.

Jeon Hana was born on 19th March 2020, just two years after her parents’ marriage. She also came right before her mother needed to take the bar exam. Jungkook decided on her name, recalling back to the first time he and Jangmi met. The mother only shook her head, but still happy with the beautiful name. Her arrival was some sort of a medicine for Jungkook and Jangmi. For the first time in two years, it seemed like their wound—from losing their first baby—was healing.

Though the bundle of joy added more to the couple’s juggling, they loved her to pieces and did a damn good job of parenting. Hana, of course, had many people around her, six uncles in particular. They spoiled her nonstop, constantly buying her gifts and coming by everyday just to play with Hana. The girl—though spoilt and a serious princess—was still a lovable girl.

Now, six years later, Hana was about to get a baby brother.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

28th April 2027

5:45 p.m

The young mother had been admitted to the hospital when she felt herself having contractions—which were false alarms—just that afternoon. Despite coming into her eight month on pregnancy, the dizziness and morning—afternoon, evening, night, pretty much all the time—sickness never did go away. She was diagnosed with preeclampsia, a pregnancy disorder that involved high blood pressure. Her condition was currently a mild one, but the chances of her second pregnancy going downhill were very high.

Which brought her to where she was—resting in one of the most spacious room the hospital could offer (Jangmi was going to nag her husband about their marriage finance soon). She did not see the reason why her husband was being so anxious, nor did she understand why her doctor asked her to stay in the ward.

“It’s best if we are cautious and ready, Mrs. Jeon. If you’re not experiencing anymore contractions in the next two days, you are free to go home.”

The doctor said so in such a soft and subtle tone.

It made Jangmi crazier and Jungkook grew more agitated.

Where was that husband of hers actually?

Oh yeah.

Jungkook was on a business meeting in Busan. His father had called him to it despite knowing of his daughter-in-law’s condition. The older did not hate Jangmi in any way at all, but the meeting was a pretty important one, and Jungkook was needed in it.

Jangmi threatened to refuse staying in the hospital when Jungkook started acting up. She by all means loved her husband, but the at times he could be such a child and made a fuss out of nothing.

“Just because I’m stuck in this bed doesn’t mean that you have to be stuck with me here. Go to Busan and attend the meeting. I can’t go to work,” Jangmi kept on babbling and giving her husband more lectures. She motioned to herself, tied down by her protruding stomach and having needles and tubes around her. “Obviously. So you’re the only one left that can go out there and earn money for the baby. So, go.”

Jungkook replied his wife with a you-have-got-to-be-kidding-me look. “I could go 2 years without working and we could still raise 5 children. Money is not a problem in this marriage, jagiya.”

She narrowed her eyes and attempted to smack him on the arm, which Jungkook successfully dodged. “You chaebol jerk. D—”

“We’re probably not going to have any more children any time soon.”

Huh?

Jungkook sensed that his wife was confused at his words, her tilted head said so. “I mean, after all of this is settled.” He motioned to Jangmi’s round belly, letting out a sigh while he was at it. “I think we should . . . stop.”

“Why?”

“Because pregnancy simply hates you.”

“Huh?”

“Look at you, jagiya. You’re sitting in a hospital.”

“Because you and Doctor Kim told me too.”

“That’s not the point, jagiya.”

“Then what is your point, Jungkook?” she called him by name, not ‘yeobo’.

“I just don’t get why this time is so hard for you. You were fine when you carried Hana and now with him?” his voice raised a bit as he eyed Jangmi’s stomach with little annoyance and . . . hate? “He’s not doing you any good.”

“Well the ‘he’ that you’re talking about here is our son. All of these do not matter to me, Jungkook; they’re nothing.” Her voice started to match his.

“What do you mean it doesn’t matter? You’re sick, Jangmi. Sick.”

“It’ll go away like it always does. I don’t see why you have to make such a big fuss about this. He’s our baby, our son. Weren’t you the one who wanted one so badly?”

“If it means putting your life in danger, making you all weak and sick like this.” Her husband paused and took a deep breath. “I don’t need a son.”

There was sickening pause between them as Jangmi eyed her husband with so much hurt and confusion. How could he say that? How could he refuse this baby, their son just because of a little complication? A parent should be happy for a baby’s arrival, not wishing the child would go away.

No wonder he was so . . .unexcited—he refused to voluntarily be involved in anything related to their new baby—these few months.

Jangmi started lying on her back, pulling the covers up and looked away from her husband. “Go.”

“Jagiya,” he begged.

“Go to that meeting and when you come back, maybe that head of yours will be sane again.”

Jungkook sighed and stood up. He kissed the side of her hair that smelled like vanilla and lavender and whispered,  “I’m sorry. You know that’s not what I meant.”

She gave him no response.

“I’ll be back soon. I love you.”

Nothing.

Jangmi heard footsteps walking out and as the door closed, her tears fell.

She cried herself to slumber.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Jangmi woke up when the sun had set. The skies outside were no longer azure; a spread of dark velvet and glittering silver stars coloured the skies. Jangmi could also see colourful lights from buildings that surrounded the hospital.

The girl yawned and stretched before glancing to the side. Her eyes landed on her cell phone and she picked it up.

8:21 p.m

17 miscalls and voice mails.

24 messages.

All from the same person—Jeon Jungkook.

Jangmi swiped through the messages that her husband had sent her, sighing loudly in between. Most of the messages were I’m sorry, jagiya, I’ve arrive in Busan, The meeting won’t take long, Are you okay? Call me, please.

The girl felt bad, guilty even. She knew that Jungkook was only worried about her, but what he had said really made the insides of her click. No matter how much she loved him (which was a lot), a mother’s love had its own level.

Jangmi put the device—the wallpaper was a picture of Jungkook and Hana—down and rested a hand on her belly. She gently it and smiled. “Did you have a good nap, baby boy?” she laughed softly. “You be good in there okay? Mommy and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter