Three

An Anomalous Perhaps

 

 

 

Hea Jung flipped over another page of her law textbook.

 

“The Bill of Rights was added to the Constitution to form amendments. These amendments gave and protected the rights of all American individuals…”

 

This is so stupid, she thought, who cares about law?

 

She sighed before slamming the whole heavy book shut, the hardcover slamming down with a satisfying slap. She stood up, stretching, feeling her back crack as she bent over, her long hair falling over her shoulders.

 

Her phone buzzed on her desk, the screen lighting up with a text. She picked it up, sliding her finger across the screen.

 

Jae Lee

Are you done studying?

 

She rolled her eyes, quickly texting back a reply.

 

Me

Nope. I am so done with law.

 

Jae Lee

I think you deserve a break LOL. Wanna go grab something to eat with me first?

 

Me

Sure, why not? Where?

 

Jae Lee

Mm… How about the workplace?

 

Me

Can’t stay away, huh, even on your non-shift days? Haha :)

 

Jae Lee

N O P E. Pick you up in 5?  :)

 

Me

Sure, sounds good.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


 

“Mom, I’m heading out!” Without waiting for a reply, Hea Jung slammed the door, throwing on her jacket and walking down her front steps.

 

A familiar small white car was parked on their driveway, with a familiar person with a familiar bright smile sitting inside.

 

Returning his grin, Hea Jung opened the door to the passenger’s side, slipping into the seat beside her friend. She had been in his car enough times to recognize the smell of it now. It always smelled of fresh lavender soap, and sometimes, if she was observant enough, she would catch the slight scent of McDonald’s fries.

 

So done with studying law.”

 

He nodded in reply as he carefully backed out of her driveway. “Yeah, why’d you take it anyway?”

 

“I have to.”

 

“Parents?” He glanced over sympathetically.

 

“Yeah. I hate this business and law stuff.”

 

They were on the road now, going through the familiar route to their workplace. Hea Jung had thought that she would get sick of the constant smell of coffee from working so often at Starbucks.

 

But apparently not.

 

She came to Starbucks with Jae often, to just talk or study together in silence. She came to adore the familiar wafting scent of coffee. She knew it was kind of stupid, coming to their own workplace even when it wasn’t their shift. It wasn’t as if their co workers did not recognize them either.

 

“I’ll have a tall regular coffee.” She said at the counter, without even glancing up at the menu board.

 

Tamora, the girl behind the counter nodded. “Jae?”

 

“Make that two.”

 

Jae took out his wallet and paid, handing Tamora several crisp bills.

 

Hea Jung glanced over at him, shaking her head with mock disapproval. “I have to pay for you at least once.”

 

He shrugged. “Nah, it’s alright. Besides, you need that money, don’t you?”

 

She couldn’t even say no.

 

“So…” Tamora leaned over the counter, smiling. “Coming here on another date?”

 

Hea Jung looked back at Tamora, her face flushing a dark pink.

 

Jae just looked away with a shy smile, his cheeks pink as well. “It’s not like that.”

 

Tamora just laughed before placing two cups of steaming coffee in front of them on the counter. Jae grabbed them quickly before hurrying toward the staircase to the upper level. As Hea Jung got her cup as well and began heading up toward their normal seat, Tamora yelled out behind them, her voice loud and clear.

 

“I ship!”

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Here.” Jae held the door for her as she struggled to shove her arm through the remaining sleeve of her jacket.

 

“Thanks,” She mumbled, finally forcing her arm through. “For the coffee too.” She added quickly as the door shut behind them.

 

“It’s nothing.” Jae said sheepishly.

 

They fell into their familiar, comfortable silence as Jae started the car and drove her home.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Hi, Appa.” Hea Jung flopped on to her bed, holding the phone to her ear.

 

“Hey,” His voice was warm as always, although she could hear the hint of tiredness that he was unable to hide over the phone. “How’s it going, Hea?”

 

“Good, I guess. I just got home.”

 

“It’s pretty late, why were you out? You don’t have to work today.”

 

“I know, Daddy, I just went out to grab something to eat and talk with my friend.”

 

“Friend?”

 

She sighed. “Jae.”

 

“Oh. Be careful, okay, Hea? It’s not like I don’t trust that boy or anything, I just don’t want you getting distracted from all your studying. You can’t get low marks or else you won’t get into a good school and become a lawyer.”

 

“I know,” Said Hea Jung quietly. “I know, Appa.”

 

“Good. You haven’t been playing that silly music lately, have you?”

 

“No, Appa.”

 

“Good. Well, I’ve got to go. Night, Hea, sweet dreams.”

 

“Bye, Appa.”



 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~