Abortion is Yummy

Saranghae My Teacher [abandoned sorry orz]

Rise and shine for the PIL students! Today is the day they’ve been waiting for. For their Filipino class, they’re going to the Philippine Culture Center. Since it’s a whole day trip, this is equivalent to no classes.
     
“Good morning students. Everybody knows this day is the day we’ve been waiting for. We are going to the Philippine Culture Center for the first Chibugan Festival. We’ll be feasting on the Filipino food like the famous adobo, sinigang, halo-halo and even street food. Exotic ones like fried grasshopper…” Ms. Park announced.
     
“Another thing, take photos of the five foods you loved. Make a short essay about each in Filipino. That’ll be your project. I hope you’ll all pass on time. The early birds and the creative ones will earn more points. Deadline is on the last day of the month.”
     
Students scratched their heads and complained about Ms. Park’s project. Buses were filled with students’ chitchats about their love life, celebrity news, crushes and the rumor about Ms. Park’s engagement with a celebrity. Most accept it as true, some declare it as faux.
     
Meanwhile, the four boys, who are seated at the back of the bus, are in dreamland. Jongup was having the same Zelo-is-a-girl dream. Zelo’s dream contains his plan of writing a confession letter for someone. Kai is dreaming having a date with Kyungsoo. Chanyeol’s REM made his dream of kissing his Ms. Park more realistic.
     
“Please keep your voices in low tone,” Ms. Park ordered all the section A students riding in bus 1. The voices vanished. “Remember to enjoy your trip while still having manners. Respect everybody. Understood?”
     
“Yes, Ms. Park~”
     
After 45 minutes of travel, the students went “YEES!” for they have finally reached their destination: Philippine Culture Center. Lucky for them, it’s also the 1st Chibugan Festival. All sorts of ambrosial cuisine made their stomachs rumble.
     
The four sleeping beauties at the back were separated from their dreamland by Chanyeol’s dream girl. “Boys, time to wake up. Or else you’ll miss the food and the folk dances later.”
     
The boys stood and apologized in unison, “We’re deeply sorry, Ms. Park!” with matching 90 degree bow. Later, they left the bus to start tasting all the food they smell.
     
The boys decided to split into half and help each other in their projects. Zelo is with Jongup and Kai with Chanyeol. The former ambled to the dessert section while the latter wandered, simply to find Ms. Park.

 

Zelo and Jongup first tried the Kakanin (Filipino cake) section. They were mesmerized by the colorful sapin-sapin, a glutinous cake made by three layers: yam, aniseed, coconut meat and pandan (coconut screwpine). “So this is how rainbows taste like,” Zelo said while still eating.
     
Jongup pointed a store named Sari-Saring Suman (Assorted Rice Cake). They tried suman sa lihiya (rice cake wrapped in banana leaves with coco-butter syrup), suman sa ibus (rice cake wrapped in ibus/palm leaves), suman sa antala (steamed rice cake wrapped in banana leaves) and espasol (cylindrical-shaped rice cake dusted with toasted rice flour).
     
After filling their black hole stomachs, they decided to take home some for their family. Then they barged in the blockbuster Parol – a store that boasts the Filipinos’ Christmas favorites namely puto bumbong (purple cylindrical sticky rice cake) and bibingka (rice cake topped with salted duck eggs, margarine and cheese cooked on charcoal oven). Their perseverance of waiting in line for almost an hour bore success. The cashier even gave them a leaflet, showing instructions on how to eat the two smoking hot grub.
     
“Salted egg… it’s from the Chinese, right?” Jongup asked while cooling his piece of bibingka. “Tastes good! This is really perfect for Christmas!”
     
Zelo cannot reply for his mouth was filled with the sticky puto bumbong, topped with latik (coconut milk curds). His violet smile made Jongup burned his tongue while drinking hot choco.
     
Later, they queue up again in another best-selling store – Collete’s. They bought their signature buko (coconut) pie.
     
All of a sudden, a Filipino stranger dragged them to a store named Nerison’s. “They have good cassava cake! It’s good! And don’t forget to go to the pasalubong center!” then he left. They decided to follow his advices, even though they don’t know him.
     
“I regret nothing,” Zelo stated while standing in front of the huge Pasalubong Center. All sorts of Filipino snacks are there. They ogled on the multicolored pastillas de leche and pulvoron wrapped in colorful cellophanes. The sight of cashew tarts made Zelo appreciate his hated nut. Nevertheless, the two fell in love with the store and grabbed everything on their sight.
     
The two have gone dog-tired and decided to sit on the so-called “tambay” bench – a flat bench with no back support. While resting, they munched on banana que (fried banana with sugar) and turon (banana spring rolls) and gulped Baguio’s strawberry taho. Zelo rested his head on Jongup’s shoulder and fell asleep. “Best day ever…” he murmured. Jongup’s cheeks turned strawberry and secretly smiled.

 

“CHANYEOL! Let’s stop finding your girlfriend! We should be doing our project instead,” Kai complained while dragging his feet. Chanyeol pointed an eat-all-you-can restaurant. Their eyes glistened with joy and attacked the restaurant.
     “I’ll get the food! You’ll get our chairs!” Kai ordered. Chanyeol decided to sit near the window so he can still search for his beloved teacher.
     I wonder what Ms. Park is doing right now… Is she busy as well? Is she enjoying this place? Is she with somebody else? NO! That’ll not happen. I must – no, I’m starving. Maybe later. Kai is too slow. I’m… HUNGREEEH! The yummy smell is driving me crazy!  Chanyeol’s thoughts melted when Kai came with numerous plates of viands.
     A cute girl– a Filipino, with tan skin, bright eyes, long brown hair and a warm smile occupied the space beside Kai.
     “Kai, you’ve even been flirted a foreigner!” Chanyeol exclaimed.
     Kai had kittens, so he pulled his ear. “Idiot! She’ll help us in our project! She’s the daughter of the owner of this restaurant. She knows the names, the ingredients, the ways of cooking it and the taste of all of the food in front of us! Your brain must’ve degraded due to no Sandara Park in sight!”
     Chanyeol sighed at Kai’s excuse. He always uses his charm to women so they’ll help him like a damsel in distress. It’s always the same. Kai, when will you change your dirty ways? Maybe a real girl of your dreams would be your catalyst, Kim Jongin.
     “Oh, you’re a VIP? That’s nice! Who is your bias?” Kai asked the girl he pulled to help them, entertaining and flirting her at the same time in Engrish.
     “G-Dragon. I’m a GDYB shipper. Ano… ah! So, where were we? Anyway, this dish –points a bowl of viand with black sauce and green chili on top–, the one with the black sauce is called dinuguan. It’s made of pork. And the sauce is pig blood. That’s why it’s color black. It’s perfect with puto!” She took one puto then dipped it in the dinuguan sauce.
     The boys’ faces were between shocked and grossed out. Nevertheless, they tried it. Their eyes sparkled with joy, not regretting to try it.
     While the girl explains how to make the perfect binagoongan or vegetables with pork cooked in fish sauce, Kai gobbled everything he sees, until his throat choked on the hot and spicy Bicol express.
     “AAAAAAAH! SPICY SPICY SPICY! NYELP!”
     The girl snickered, excused herself to get some ice cream for Kai.
     “That’s Bicol express, a dish made of chili or spicy labuyo. No wonder why it’s spicy. And it’s named after a train. Isn’t that cool?” Chanyeol stated while looking at the poor Kai whose mouth is literally in heat. “Here, have some adobong manok to ease the pain.” He put on Kai’s plate a drumstick of adobo.
     Due to desperation, Kai bit the chicken and stuffed his mouth with rice.
     “Here’s your ice cream, Jongin.”
     Their heads turn and saw their new English teacher.
     “Ms. Do! Wanna have some menudo? Or the peppery afritada? Or the delicious ginataang langka? Or some chicken inasal?” Chanyeol invited their teacher.
     She seated beside Kai and ordered him, “Give me that sisig! I got some good beer coming right up.”
     Kai doesn’t know what sisig is, so he gave her lechong kawali instead. She pinched his cheeks and scolded, “That’s lechong kawali, you Jongin cutie, you! Hey Park Chan! Are you eating that sinigang na hipon?”
     Chanyeol’s eyes squinted. “No. I’ll take this out for somebody. Take that lechon instead.”
     Kai and Kyungsoo gave Chanyeol the you’re-hiding-something-ain’t-you-huh stare. Chanyeol puffed his cheeks and continued eating instead. The two shrugged at him and got lost in their own world. Kyungsoo sweetly spoonfeeds the ever-showy Kai– who even mocked Chanyeol, showing he’s got a date while he’s hopeless for Ms. Park’s attention. Chanyeol took the sinigang na hipon for takeout and left.
     How the hell these two a lot about Filipino food while I’m the obvious alien here? They keep spouting food names I don’t understand. What’s with you, people?! Kai said to himself as Chanyeol walked his way out. Kyungsoo interrupted his cogitation.
     “Jongin, Park Chan left us. Is that okay with you? And… –pinches Kai’s ear– is it true you’ve dated thousands of women while I’m away?! And you’ve even bed them?! And you call yourself Kai? My goodness, qué barbaridad! Por pavor señor! You deserve ultimo punishment!” Kyungsoo scolded Kai while still pinching his ear hard.
     “L-Let me explain…”
     “I can wait for your explanation while waiting for my beer. I deserve a reasonable explanation!”
     Kai swallowed air into his dry throat. It’s explanation time.

 

Kai is right… I’m hopeless for Ms. Park’s attention when she doesn’t even want me. I’m just this ordinary student who goes head over heels for my adviser. This is just one of my hundreds of unrequited love. this life. Will they give beer to high school students?
     Chanyeol sulked in a corner in the Street Food section. I’ll add this as a take-home for my mother. I’m done with my project anyway. Maybe I’ll just go to the bus and sleep. Or buy some sweets for eomma and appa. While cogitating on what to do next, his nose caught the scrumptious smell of barbecue. DUGO! I must buy!
    
He darted to Ihawan ni Aling Nena to buy dugo (pig’s blood), isaw (chicken’s intestine), helmet (chicken’s head), adidas (chicken’s feet) and liempo. While waiting for his order, Chanyeol accidentally bumped someone who is also waiting for her order.
     “S-Sorry po…” he apologized.
     The woman ruffled his hair and laughed, “It’s okay, Chanchan. Where are your friends?”
     Chanyeol’s face reddened as he heard the voice. M-Miss Park… Of all the place in this world…
     The PCC turned slow-mo as Chanyeol stares at Ms. Park’s beautiful face. Why do I always fall for someone who will never love me? Ms. Park… if you only knew how much I worship you…
     “Chanchan! I think your order is ready.”
     Chanyeol snapped from slow-mo world and immediately took and paid his order. A warm hand grabbed his arm and dragged him.
     “Since you’re alone, come with me and let’s eat something that cures hangovers!”
     Chanyeol’s eyes popped out from its sockets due to shock. Ms. Park is a drinker? Well, she’s mature enough to know what she’s doing.
     They buggered off to a man carrying a native woven basket. He yells “Balut~!” again and again to call for customers. Ms. Park dragged Chanyeol with her to buy and eat the famous exotic Filipino dish. The man gave them each an egg.
     “Asin po,” Ms. Park asked favor. The vendor gave her a water bottle filled with rock salt. She cracked the top of the egg, removed the cracked shell, sprinkled salt on the egg and slurped the broth. “Ah… much better. Hey Chanchan. Try this too. – hands Chanyeol her balut–”
     Chanyeol was tickled pink and immediately grabbed the opportunity to “kiss” his dream girl. He swallowed his fear and gulped the warm, delicious broth. She grinned at the scared Chanyeol and flashed her an it’s-alright-you-can-eat-that-thing smile, Since it’s his time to impress her, he ate the whole egg, without the shell.
     “That’s an aborted duck egg, Chanchan. It’s nice to know you love to eat it the way I do.”
     Chanyeol covered his mouth and swallowed hard. Well, I guess abortion is quite… good. All for Ms. Park… –sighs–