The Pain of Being Us 3

The Pain of Being Us

Hakyeon acted like nothing had happened the next day. Wonsik didn't think much of it, but was he secretly glad that Hakyeon was talking to him again.

"What is your family like?" Hakyeon asked Wonsik after they had both finished eating.
"My family.... Well, I have a sister, she's really cute and I think of her as my best friend. She's been there for me since childhood, and we only had each other to play with. We lived in an area that didn’t have many children, you see. And my parents, they were sometimes busy with work, but we still tried to always have at least one day a week when we just spend the day at home together, talking about stuff, watching movies or making food together. We still did that, maybe not as often as we used to, since me and my sister were both busy studying and hanging out with friends..." Wonsik smiled as he explained, and slowly tears started to gather in his eyes. Hakyeon was first confused by the tears, but realized that the boy must be missing his family.
"They sound amazing, Wonsik. You must miss them a lot." Hakyeon says quietly and slowly shuffles closer to the other. He leans his head on the cage as he watches Wonsik wipe the tears away.
"Yeah, I really do... And when I last saw them... I was in such a hurry to go out, and I ignored my parents... We were supposed to spend the day together, yet I ran out without saying any words..."
"It's alright Wonsik..."
"They're probably so worried. I didn't tell them where I was going, and now I've gone missing..."
"Hey, it's alright... I'm sorry; I really don't know how I could make you feel any better, but... Your family loves you. No matter what. I'm sure they're really worried, and they'll do anything to get you back home...”
"Thanks, hyung... I'm sorry for this, crying and all..."
"There's nothing wrong with crying. I know it's hard to be here, having no idea what's going to happen to us, and being away from your family. You can always talk to me, and cry if you feel like it, okay?" Hakyeon says and reached his hand out towards Wonsik. He smiled, with tears still in his eyes, and took hold of Hakyeon’s hand and squeezed it lightly before pulling back.
"Enough of me... Tell me about your family."

Hakyeon smiles, and for a while wonders what he should say about his family.
"Well, my family... I have two siblings, and we're all really close. I was 9 when I first noticed my abilities - I was pretty angry, some kids from our neighbourhood had been teasing me- and I made a small hurricane out of sand and small rocks. At first I was scared and didn't tell anyone, but few weeks later I started to try doing it again. After a month I could lift a rock of my size, and had been able to turn into sand. Then, I just couldn't keep it a secret and dragged my sister and brother outside to the forest I had been training a kilometre away from our house. They we're annoyed first, saying that they had better things to do. But once I made a hurricane again, a bigger one this time, they told me to show me more and we stayed there for a couple hours. We took our parents to the same place the next weekend, and showed them what I could do. They we're amazed, but also a little scared. Not of me, but for me. They explained that there are people who don't like people like me, and they could hurt me if they found out. I was told to hide my abilities from thereon.

We also had days like your family, not as often as you did, but we bought new movies every now and then and watched them together. We spent half of the days cooking and talking, and the other half on the couch, watching the movies and eating the food we had made... We did that once in a month or two. My parents also taught us to exercise, and took us to different classes till we found something we we're interested in. For me it was dance. I started when I was 12. We went for hikes and went camping few times a year." Hakyeon sighs.
"I really miss them all... I would give anything to wake up in a tent and realize this was a dream and all I had to do was pack up and walk hours down from a mountain. At least I would be with my family." Wonsik smiles at the older, understanding him completely.

He wouldn't mind waking up to a cleaning day, as long as he got to see his family.

But they both knew that this was not some horrible nightmare, this was their reality. They also knew that they shouldn't be thinking like this, and keep their thoughts away from their families and how much they miss them. It would only make them feel worse and the days seem longer.
"Enough moping around, let's talk about something else." Hakyeon finally said, after minutes of them both quietly missing their families.
Wonsik lifted his head and it took him a while to register what Hakyeon had said. He nodded, but couldn't think of any topics.
"Umm... How old were you when you first found out about your abilities?" Hakyeon asked once he realized he wouldn't be getting an answer from the younger.
Wonsik furrows his eyebrows as he thinks back.
"I was 8; I remember that my sister had just had her birthday few days before... I had overslept and in two minutes the school gates were going to be closed. I started to run, even though I lived 2 kilometres away from the school. The tires on my bike had broken the day before when I was on my way home.
So while I was running I just pictured the hallway in school, and suddenly I was there. I was really surprised, and looked around and saw no one, but I could hear the teachers talk in the classes. Then I saw my teacher walk out from the teacher's room and I quickly ran into the classroom. I was really scared for the rest of the day, and then when school finally ended I went into the restroom, near the art and music classrooms, that was barely used and locked myself in it. I closed my eyes and pictured our garage, and when I opened my eyes, I was there. I tried it a few times, going back and forth between the restroom at school and the garage and once I thought it was around the time I should get home, I walked out of the garage and went inside my house.
I practiced a lot, especially during weekends. After a month I finally told my family. They didn't believe me, so I teleported to the garage, took the nearest thing, one of my sister's old toys, and teleported back inside, waving the toy at them." Hakyeon smiled at Wonsik, he looked happy thinking about it.
"Then, we sat down, and they explained that I can't show anyone else, no matter how much I would like to show off. They showed me articles, saying people with superhuman abilities are dangerous, and telling people to let the police know if they knew someone like that. I never heard that we were called "mutants". I did know there were some people who were like me, but I never thought there would be so many of us...."
Hakyeon nodded, and realized that Wonsik was similar to him: the secretive practices and showing his family. Also the things that Wonsik's family had told him, to hide his abilities, explaining that there were people who didn't like them, and were scared of them, even though they were just little kids; were the same things Hakyeon’s parents told him.
Wonsik turned to look at him with a smile, and Hakyeon couldn't help but smile back.
"A part of me is glad that I was brought here. I was able to find others like me. And I met you." Wonsik says quietly. Hakyeon doesn't answer, only nods and takes Wonsik's hand to his before lying down.
They were quiet for the next hours, both staring at the roof of their cage and missing their families while holding hands. Both of them felt the need for some human contact and they could only reach each other’s hands.
Hakyeon closed his eyes and pictured his room, slightly messy with clothes on the chair and some strewn on the floor. He pictured his mother nagging about the state of his room when passing by while he was lying on his bed, legs hanging over the side, talking with his sister and holding hands; his brother running into the room and jumping on them, wanting to be a part of their conversation. They were all laughing and having a small play fight, tickling their brother once they managed to get him off themselves.
He couldn't help the small smile rising on the corner of his lips at the memory.
He could smell the house; the scent of his sister's strawberry shampoo; the smell of sweat from the heat and playing around.
He could feel the slight tickling of his brother's hair on his thighs as he held him down, hear them all laugh.


Oh, just how much he would give to return to that time.

 

 

// heh, I wanted to update this earlier, as a christmas present, but I haven't had the energy to do anything.... sorry that I'm such a slow writer ^^"