Chapter 3

P.S. I Love You

Emma woke up bright and early before her alarm went off.  Although her dream was pleasant, she was still happy enough to go to school. 

A knock sounded at the front door as she sat at the table sipping her cup of orange juice.  She found herself getting up and starting for the door.

"Hey, Em," Chanyeol greeted as she opened the door.

"Hi," she smiled shyly.  Her eyes suddenly widened.  "You guys aren't leaving yet, are you?”

The tall boy smiled widely.  "Nah, not yet.  I just came to make sure you were awake."

She blushed.  "Thanks," she laughed, making Chanyeol's smile brighter.  "You want some food?"

"Oh, that's okay.  I'm fine," he shook his head. 

"You sure?"

"Yeah..."

"You don't sound too sure."

"It's fine, Em," he laughed.  "I already ate."

She smirked.  "Okay, just don't come whining to me later about how hungry you are."

He pinched her cheek.  "I won't."

--

"See that girl?"

"Yeah, apparently she's hanging out with the kingkas."

"She's not even pretty."

Emma kept her eyes averted to the ground as she walked into her first class with Baekhyun by her side.  The rude remarks flooded into her head, giving her a slight headache.

"Don't listen to them, Em," Baekhyun said as his hand found hers.  It grasped hers tightly but reassuringly.

She looked into his eyes as they sat down.  "They're right, though."

He put his hand on her shoulder.  "Don't listen to them, okay?  They're filling your head with lies."

"That's what I'd like to think," she sighed.

"Look at me," he tilted her chin up to look at her slightly teary eyes.  "You're the most amazing person I've met all year.  You're smart, pretty, and funny.  They're just jealous because the others and I don't pay them a minute of attention.  They're too clingy.”

A small tear slipped out down her cheek.  He wiped it gently with his slender hand.

"Hey, don't cry, okay?" he smiled.

She sniffed.  "It's just that...no one has ever said that about me.  That's why I came here...because...I was abused."

Baekhyun couldn't believe his ears. 

"My parents were always telling me how I was never good enough.  I tried and tried, but nothing seemed to satisfy them," she continued.  "I didn't think that moving here would help me...but it did."

Baekhyun rubbed the back of his neck.  "Gee, I never knew..."

She smiled.  "It's okay.  You would've found out eventually."

"No, it's just that-," he started

"Hey, newbie!" Hana shouted at her from the other side of the room. 

Emma shifted her gaze to see a blue water balloon being thrown at her.  Before she could react, Baekhyun got up and wrapped her arms around her.  The balloon exploded and soaked his shirt.  Emma's eyes widened at the sight.

"Baek," she whispered.

He pulled back and smiled at her.  "I'm willing to protect you, Park Emma, no matter what the costs are.  I accept you for who you are," he said quietly.  "You're amazing and beautiful, I'm going to have the entire world see it."

opened, but no words came.

"Shin Hana!" Mrs. Kang shouted angrily and pointed at Baekhyun's sopping wet shirt.  "What's the meaning of this?"

Hana only flipped her hair and stalked out of the room.

Mrs. Kang sighed.  "Baekhyun, you should go and get a loaner shirt from the front office."

Baekhyun nodded, his eyes sparkling.  "Yes, Mrs. Kang."  He got up and walked out of the room, leaving Emma dazed in her seat.

"He said...he accepts me," she thought. 

--

Baekhyun eventually came back, but Emma still remained silent.  "Is this a confession?" she thought.

The morning break came, and Emma thought she was going to pass out while hanging out with the boys.

"You okay, Em?" Chanyeol asked.  He touched her cheek.  "You're so pale..."

"Y-yeah," she said shakily.  "I think..."

She suddenly sighed and plopped onto the bench behind her, breathing heavily.

"Emma!" the boys shouted.

Baekhyun held her hand.  "Emma..."

"My...my heart...can't breathe..."

Chanyeol scooped the petite girl up into his arms and ran down the hall into the nurse's office.

"Hello, Chan- oh my goodness!" the nurse exclaimed.  She motioned to the small bed at the side of the room.  "Lay her there."

Chanyeol nodded his head and laid her trembling body on the bed. 

"What happened?" the nurse asked.

"I don't know," he admitted.  "She said she couldn't breathe…and something about her heart."

The nurse nodded.  She walked over to the phone and dialed for an ambulance.

"Hello...yes, I have a student here in what looks like a critical condition...yes, she's immobile right now...thank you."  She set the phone down and looked at Chanyeol.  "They'll be here soon."

"Is she going to be okay?" Sehun asked with the others as they poked their heads through the doorway.

The nurse nodded. 

Emma breathed shakily.  "I'm sorry for the trouble..."

"Nonsense," the nurse smiled.  "It's my job."

The girl sighed and stared at the white ceiling.  Chanyeol squeezed her hand.  "You can do this, Em, you're strong."

"I hope..." she murmured before losing consciousness.