Together With Kai (PART 1)

Kitty Kai (Drabbles)

Kyungsoo shifted uncomfortably in his seat as Jongdae fed Baekhyun a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Baekhyun readily the delicious dessert off the metal spoon and purred for more.

"You're going to lose your appetite for dinner if I give you the rest." Jongdae told his pet. He kissed Baekhyun on the cheek before turning his full attention to Kyungsoo, "Where's Kai? You need to take him out one day. Maybe we can set up a little play date for Baekie and Kai."

Blood rushed into Kyungsoo's head, triggering his migraine again. Freaking hell, how was he supposed to answer that question? Unlike Baekhyun, Kai wasn't a purebred hybrid. In fact, Kyungsoo wasn't even sure if Kai was a hybrid or not. The majority of pets were humanoids with cat ears and tails but Kai was a totally different story. When Kyungsoo found the bleeding pet in the middle of a highway three weeks ago, Kai looked more like a deformed feline than a human with animal appendages. 

Jongdae would surely laugh at him for keeping such a hideous creature. Truth was, Kyungsoo didn't want to keep Kai either. He wasn't rich enough to support a pet, let alone a pet as ravenous as Kai. It wouldn't surprise Kyungsoo if half his paycheck went to groceries.

Kyungsoo jumped in his seat when his cellphone began to ring. He knew it was Kai even before he looked at the caller ID, "What is it, Kai?"

"I'm hungry! When are you coming back to make me food?" 

Kyungsoo gritted his teeth, "I just made you kimchi fried rice an hour ago. Can't you wait?"

"But I'm hungry! Hurry up, please." 

Throughly annoyed, Kyungsoo ended the call before Kai could say another word.

"Maybe you should go home." Jongdae suggested, "Kai might starve if you leave him like this."

"He'll be fine." Kyungsoo said dismissively as he turned his phone off once and for all. Ever since he adopted Kai, his social life had gone down the drain. This was the first time in weeks that he'd been able to get away from Kai beside during work hours and there was no way that he'd let Kai ruin this moment for him. Kyungsoo cringed as Baekhyun and Jongdae began folicking. The amount of PDA disturbed Kyungsoo but it was still better than being Kai's servant.

After two more beers, Kyungsoo waved goodbye to his good friend and began heading home. He stopped in his tracks when he came across a Dunkin Donuts. His heart squeezed as he remembered his conversation with Kai. Maybe he was being too harsh. Feeling guilty, Kyungsoo went into the shop and ordered a dozen glazed donuts with strawberry jelly filling. They were Kai's favorite.

Kyungsoo smiled to himself as he envisioned Kai's toothy smile. Despite being a brat at times, Kai also brought joy to Kyungsoo's lonely life. It sounded paradoxical to claim that Kai both infuriated him and delighted him. But it was true.

However, his smile disappered when he opened his apartment door and found Kai seizing in the living room with white foam dripping from his mouth.

"Kai!" Kyungsoo dropped the donuts and went straight to his pet. Using his sleeve, he wiped the foam from Kai's mouth. His brows furrowed when he realized that Kai had eaten the inedible "Keep Fresh" packet found in many packaged snacks. "You stupid, stupid, stupid cat! You're not supposed to eat that!" 

Panicking, Kyungsoo picked up the phone and dialed for an ambulance. He cuddled Kai's body in his arms as he waited impatiently for the paramedics to come. He could feel Kai shivering in his arms and it made his stomach churned. 

The wait was short in actuality but for Kyungsoo, it was the longest five minutes in his entire life.