Second Promise

June's Promise

"Eh?"

I didn't turn even though I had a feeling it was directed to me. Things were hectic in the office today with various issues to be settled and problems that arose. But it's nearly seven. Already so late. I should've went back at six but I was held back. And now it's almost seven.

What if he was really there waiting for me?

It's embarrassing to admit to it, but it wouldn't be a stretch to say it was all I had been thinking for the whole day. Seven o'clock in the evening, the skinny guy with wavy brown hair, small eyes, gold wire rimmed glasses and awkward but bright smiles.

The stranger I knew not but curious to know nevertheless, since I'd like to see if his so-called fate really does exist.

And just as I nearly walked past the machine to check out from office, the big boss stepped inside with stricken face and I bowed down while she was already making her announcement while striding in.

 

"Everyone, we have an emergency. Into the meeting room, now."

"But I have to take Ahreum from daycare center. Her appa is overseas. Only me left."

"Okay, you can go back. The rest, let's go."

"I have a date..."

My ears perked at the mention. Soojin is really something, to mention something so trivial and expecting to get away with it. Huh, this girl is sassy. But I doubt Madam Hwang would go easy on her for such excuse.

"A date?"

"Yes. My parents set it up. The guy's a chaebol I heard. If I don't go, I might not be able to get married at all. I'm already twenty six."

Then I saw her scooted nearer to Madam Hwang and I heard my name mentioned. Of course, the greatest example for all women who wanted to get married and not ending up like me. I've been breathing this great exemplary air in the office for over ten years. It doesn't surprise me anymore, though the annoyance was inevitable. So much, that I wished I could just go back to the river and...

"...you will meet the person who will not make you lonely or wanting to suicide anymore." 

Supposedly, I've already met him. But since I would not be back at seven, surely he'd think I'm avoiding him. Well, I don't even know why I should feel the desperation to meet him, maybe I'm just sick of being used as the warning or pity sign or joke in the office, at family gatherings, everywhere. 

It'd be nice if they knew that I too, have a date, even if it's not exactly a date, but more like a thank you gesture. Ahh, why so petty? Just let them say what they want to say, shouldn't I play that role? The same role I've been playing all my life? The submissive one?

"You have nothing going on, right?"

Of course I have something going on too. What, you think just because I'm the ahjumma here, you're free to assume?


"No, I don't."

"Good, meeting room, now."


I sighed inwardly. No matter how I tried to fish out the courage from inside, she was right. I had nothing going on. I wasn't even sure if the guy would really be there in front of my house. It did seem too fairytale-ish. While here, it's my opportunity to do a job and settle a problem well, when many others wouldn't. Maybe, maybe this time, it'd open her eyes, open the road to a promotion? Who knows? Either way, I couldn't tell 'I have a date too...with a guy who came to send my identification card which I didn't even realize I lost'. Even imagining it made me so embarrassed. It was a silly thought and they'd only end up making fun of me even more.

I don't have the courage, the strength to be faced with new kinds of reactions that would ridicule me no less. Especially for something even I was uncertain of.

 

"So, Eunhee, I want you and Minjung to go and try to persuade Eric no matter what, don't let him cancel. And you..." She pointed at me. "...go to persuade Cherryish, because I heard from Eric that all problem that led to the cancellation happened because of Cherryish."

"Yes, okay." I nodded, jotting down what I had to do. What or who is cherry...Cherish... anyway? A product? An actress? Sponsor? A dog? All I know is that, Eric is the head of our company's biggest client. A handsome guy born in the same year as myself, rather young to be helming his own stage production company, but despite his handsome face, he has good head on his shoulders. Smart guy. But one I'd be relieved to not work with directly. Not because he's handsome, but rather, because he's a handsome bastard who would make my life hell. So, thank God I wasn't sent to beg him to not cancel the agreement with our company. I wouldn't succeed anyway. Madam Hwang knew. And I bet those younger girls would be happier to meet him. Who wouldn't? Other than myself.

"And why does she get to meet Cherryish?"

Did I heard wrongly? Why would they question something like that? Don't all girls here always swoon about Eric?

"Because we need young pretty ladies to persuade Eric, and...we need...her, to persuade Cherryish."

"That's funny." 

She was right, even if tactless and rude, I'm used to it, so it doesn't affect me anymore. But what Madam Hwang said about needing me to persuade this...Cherry thing, sounded more worrying. It reminded me of the first time I was sent to Eric and he went crazy because he was expecting someone...well, as Madam Hwang said, younger and prettier. While I don't think I look that bad...at least not back then, but I was definitely far from Eric's standard, whatever that's important for, considering we're just to advertise for his productions, why would we need to look like supermodels for him? Huh.

"Cherryish doesn't like pretty girls. I got an information that one of the reason Cherryish wanted to terminate contract with Eric, is because Eric wanted to use pretty girl for the production, and Cherryish disagree."

"Ommo, has the world gone mad?" The other younger one mumbled.

"So, you go. Take this address, and don't leave the residence until you succeeded. Because Eric wouldn't continue if he couldn't get Cherryish, and our 'persuade Eric team' depends on you alone since we're short of people right now."

"I will...make Cherry agree."

"It's Cherryish unnie, tsk."


Am I supposed to know? Maybe I should search through the internet first? But Madam Hwang wouldn't be pleased to know I had to search to find out what Cherrish is. And those girls would make fun of me. For the sake of my pride, I had to leave confidently, and get Cherrish to stay on the project by hook or by crook no matter who or what she, he, it, is.

They didn't even give me any file containing information of the project, when I wasn't even handling it in the first place. Is this an opportunity for career advancement or a one way career suicide path?

 


The address turned out to be at a secluded area. I even got lost twice and had to ask the locals, but as expected, the house was big.

"Yes?" The ahjumma who opened the door had a pleasant but curt smile.

"I'm looking for...Cheery...Cherr..."

"Cherryish?"

"Ah, yes." Shame seeped through my cheeks at being caught failing to pronounce it properly when even an old lady could. What kind of name is that anyway?

"Cherryish went out. And will only be back after midnight."

"It's alright. I can wait."

She sighed and regarded me from head to toe, adding to my self conscious.

"I think you should just go back. Cherryish won't meet you."

"But I need to meet...uhh...Che...rryish. Or my boss will kill me. Please ahjumma, at least let me meet her?"

The rather short ahjumma raised her eyebrows but only nodded and excused herself to the kitchen, before coming back with a deep red and purplish drink.

"It's roselle, Cherryish's favourite. If you want to persuade, you ought to know something." She smiled and left.

She was right, I knew nothing. I should've just ignored them and do a quick search about this Cherry, but now...I only know the favourite drink. Curiously, I took a sip of the cold red liquid. Contrary to the deep and rich colour; the sinfully redness, the taste was sweet, in a light and simple way, that made me happy, and crave for more. The happy feelings this drink gave, made me more confident to face Cheer...cherrysh. Even if I have to kiss her feet. I will do it. I've been through worse.

So I waited. But the wait proved to be too long. And soon my thoughts went back to the guy who must've left my doorstep hours ago, if he was even there. I guess, my fate is just to beg for other people's mercy for my employer's sake. At least he didn't lie. At least someone kept his words to me, even if it ended without even started. What was I expecting anyway?

 


When I opened my eyes, I realized I must've had fallen asleep, for how long I knew not. But the surrounding still looked the same. The spacious but rather basicly furnished and dimly lit living room in the mansion still looked the same. The only difference was the blanket covering myself, that had fallen down halfway from the settee I fell asleep on.

"Ommo." I looked around, worried if I had missed Cherry.

As if having supersonic hearing, the ahjumma reappeared.

"Is Cher...rish home, ahjumma? May I know the time?"

"Fifteen minutes to twelve. You're still wearing your watch." She smiled mildly, to my further embarrassment.

"Is...is this your blanket? Thank you so much." I passed it to her, but instead of taking it, she simply walked away, leaving me all alone again. The place was too quiet. Even though my own house is just as quiet...but it's not the same, my place is smaller, so it doesn't feel this cold when quiet. I could just open the door and I won't feel the chills of being alone anymore with everyone going about since my place isn't that far from the market. But here, the quietness and emptiness, makes it so easy to feel every little thing, like when a gust of wind blow through spaces in between the little strands of unshaved hair on your arms.

"You're awake?"

I immediately sprang up and bowed at the sudden other voice that boomed through the air. "Hello, I come here to meet with Cherrish. Sorry for..."

"I waited for you."

I looked up only to discover the guy I met this morning. But his hair looked gelled neatly together this time making it appear shorter, and he was wearing dark brown sweater over his tucked-in light yellow shirt.

"I thought you're scared of me and refused to go home. It turned out, you've found me first." He smiled.

"I...I'm actually...here to find Cherry...Cherrysh."

"Cherry-ish." He pronounced it slowly, helping me to follow and imitate the difficult English word.

"Could you be...Cherryish?" But it couldn't be. Cherryish sounded too girly to be a guy's name. I couldn't imagine calling him Mr. Cherryish.

"No." He shook his head and his smile stretched wider as I sighed in relief.

"But I can help you. I'm Cherryish spokesperson, well, whenever Cherryish gets into trouble." He chuckled a little. It sounded like he's used to it. Could it be a positive sign? But no, he might not understand how I badly need to get Cherryish to agree right here right now. Not some other time. I couldn't afford to wait.

"Just, can you let me meet her?"

"You want to...meet her? I mean...Cherryish?"

I nodded wholeheartedly.

"Okay, but you have to eat first."

"I will. But only after I meet Cherry-ish"

He let out a long, deep sigh, and nodded. "Cherryish is at the back. But the path is rather dangerous and steep, so Ahjumma will take you there. Be careful okay."

I nodded happily, that things were starting to move towards the right direction.

"But promise me one thing?"

I stared at him curiously, as Ahjumma had already come, all prepared to take me to the place.

"Come back here before the sun rises? I'll wait."

It was a rather strange request. But I simply nodded. It couldn't take that long to get Cherry-ish to agree, could it? I still need to go to work tomorrow morning anyway. And Cherry-ish would still need to sleep or she'd have dark rims below her eyes.

As I waited for Ahjumma to pack the roselle drink at the kitchen, a piece of his speech this morning came back replaying in my ears.

"...if we met once by chance, then fate will find its way for a second."

I guess...maybe fate really has its way, maybe it really does exist. It doesn't even make sense. But I guess, that's the thing about fate, they don't make sense. I hated it all my life for that reason, but now, I felt rather thrilled by it, by what else fate would have in store for me. I knew I shouldn't let myself be carried away, but how could you not?

"Are you sick?" The ahjumma smiled slyly.

"No. I'm fine."

"You're blushing."

Aish. Ahjumma, will you stop catching me being embarrassing already? She's scary. Why would I blush anyway? Huh.

"Let's go."

I trailed behind her.

 

It was minutes after twelve midnight, second of June; when I realized as we walked through the narrow path in the dark, that fate had somehow fulfilled the second promise of June already. A promise he made to find me, even if technically, I was the one who found his place, and he found me here. But still...it gave me warm feelings, and a renewed faith.

And it made me too, want to fulfill a promise, to the person I met for less than a day.

 


 

ok, so was it rather lame or cliche? yeah i'm sorry...i didn't say it won't be cliche...i mean, once you saw the word fate...can you imagine it not being cheesily cliche? i'm not that 'capable'. it'll probly get lamer...but if your expectation isn't skyhigh...i guess it's not that bad...is it? ok i'm freaking drained n mentally exhausted now. see ya when i see ya i guess?...don't be silent readers unless you don't want updates, i'm going to end this fic by end of june anyway whether i really finish it or not...i think.

ps: and there's a lot of variation in the spelling for Cherryish here bcuz she couldn't pronounce/spell it right. xD. i had trouble too yknow. any idea who/what is cherryish? :p / and the Eric i imagined here was Shinhwa's Eric...xD