The Ex Man

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

“Yes, kwangsoo… What’s the matter?” He walked through the door to Gary’s living room and sat on the sofa. “I have bad news… I don’t know how to say it” His face looked worried.

Gary calmly sat on the coffee table facing him. He is calm today. He is in his best mood. Lounging at home in his white tee and blue shorts. “What’s the matter? Calm down and tell me.” Kwangsoo looked at him and couldn’t tell him. “Where’s noona?” Gary thought it would be better to call Jihyo.  She handles Kwangsoo better. “She’s reading inside.  Wait, I’ll call her”

He went to the bedroom and saw Jihyo asleep with a book by her side.  He smiled knowing his girlfriend hates reading thick books. He sat next to her on the bed. “Baby…” he called out softly. She moved at his voice.  She’s used to his voice waking her up, even when he speaks softly, she would come out of her slumber. She opened her eyes smiling, knowing he’s there looking at her. She reached out for his hand. “What’s the matter, love?”

“Kwangsoo’s outside.. he doesn’t look good.  I think he wants to tell us something. Can you please help calm him down?” She sat up and let him pull her out of bed. “I’ll just freshen up first, I’ll be out in a bit okay”

He walked out towards the kitchen and got drinks for all of them.

“Kwangsoo… why are you suddenly here? Is everything ok?” Jihyo sat next to him, putting her arm around his shoulder to comfort him.  Gary loves seeing her with Kwangsoo when they’re not fighting. She treats him like a baby brother. He smiled watching the scene in front of him.

“Jihoon is coming on our show!” he suddenly blurted out. Gary still don’t get it but he saw Jihyo’s face changed. “Which Jihoon??” Jihyo looked at him and he instantly got it. Suddenly he is upset. “Who brought him on?!”

“The production company made a deal with SBS.  I don’t think they know the situation. I was told by the producer today… Can’t do anything about it”  Gary looked at Jihyo.  She wasn’t angry... she was worried.  She told him her story. In fact, she told him everything there is to know. He was not upset because of the guest but he was upset because of that look on Jihyo’s face. He went over to sit on the coffee table facing them. He reached out for her hand and she looked up at him sadly. He instantly moved to her side and pulled her into his arms. She was hugging him back for comfort.  Kwangsoo doesn’t know the whole story.  He expected her to be upset but not this quiet. “Are you okay, noona?” he was worried.

“She is not okay… I guess we just have to deal with it” Gary spoke on her behalf. “Thank you for telling us in advance. I’ll take care of her” Gary signaled for him to leave so he can sort things out with her. He just stood up and left without saying goodbye.

“Jihyo… Don’t be too sad, I can’t stand seeing you sad” He picked her up, sat her on his lap to hug her better. She composed herself, gave him a tight hug and let out a deep breath. She leaned back. “Will you be okay oppa?” He figured she was also worried about him.

He would not be comfortable filming with her ex especially when he felt like punching him for causing her to suffer in the past. He is not sure if he can contain himself and not let it show too much in front of the camera.  He is worried that he would overreact if he does something to Jihyo.  He is not good at hiding his feelings.

“Of course I’ll be okay” he smiled but it wasn’t convincing enough for her. That made her smile because she knew he was trying to make her feel better about it. “You know you can’t lie right? Why bother?” she touched his eyebrows. His eyes will blink more often when he’s lying or pretending. “Because I don’t want you to worry about me. I will go do yoga if it helps me with this” She laughed. He hates yoga. She inched closer and kissed him. “You are just perfect for me.”

“Tell you what… Let’s talk to the PDs on how they’re going to do the show. I think they would at least call you within these few days.  Then I’ll go with you to convince them to have the least interaction. You don’t worry too much, ok. I’m here to protect you” She nodded in agreement. “I know”.

…..

She just can’t sleep she can’t find a position to sleep. Her movements woke him up. Gary saw her restless. He leaned to her side on his elbow and pulled her to face him. “I can’t sleep…” he moved in closer so he was lying on his side facing her. “What can I do to help?” he whispered lovingly while brushing her hair to the back so he can see her full face and left his hand lingering on her cheek.  “I don’t know. I can’t sleep.” She has a lot on her mind. “Let’s go in the Jacuzzi to relax” he was already up, pulling her out of bed. “Oppa it’s 1 am!” but she followed him to the bathroom anyway. “So what? Our moms are not here to scold us.”

They settled in the warm bath. Her head resting on his shoulder. He hums a melody as a lullaby. She giggled but found comfort in his voice. “What if I fall asleep in here?”

“Just sleep… I’ll put you in bed.” He continued humming until he felt her getting heavier on him.

She woke up to find Gary missing. “Oppa~” she called out. Gary rushed back to the room knowing well she hates waking up alone. “Did you sleep well? I made breakfast” He held out his hand for her. She stood up and hugged him “thank you… that was the best sleep in so long!” she went to the bathroom and Gary got back to preparing coffee.

He sipped on his coffee while going through the news on his iPad. Jihyo sat herself in the seat next to him and helped herself with breakfast. Like an old couple in the kitchen, no conversation was needed. She took her ipad checking on her email and work schedule. “I have to go to the office to settle a few things. I’ll be back for lunch. What are you doing today?” She shook her head to tell him she had no plans. “OK then, I’ll get going…” he took his car key and leaned down to kiss her before heading out.

2 hours later, she called him. He was packing up to go home. “Oppa… I’m worried” Now, he is worried. She couldn’t wait for him to get home to talk about it. He kept her on the line.

“We talked it out right? The PDs are also accommodating our request.  Don’t worry too much. You can trust me. I am in the car now, can we talk when I reach home?”

….

He found her munching a pack of chips in front of the TV. He sat next to her and gave her a peck on the cheek. “How’s my baby? I’ve only been gone for two hours and you’re stressing out already!” he laughed at her display of stress.

“Ya! Don’t you worry about tomorrow??” He shook his head and smiled. “Why should I? He was never part of my life. I prefer to keep it that way” He leaned back to lie down on the sofa, his feet next to her. “But he was a big part of my life” she sighed. He is still calmly watching her. “He was… not anymore.” She looked at him trying to figure out how he is so calm when normally he would be the one overreacting.  Knowing what’s on her mind, he laughed. “Why should I be worried about him? I am the better man. I think he’s more scared of me” he said boastfully. “I am here with the best woman he could not appreciate. Actually I am thankful of him..”

“What the hell are you talking about?? He was my biggest mistake!” Now she is upset. He quickly sit up beside her and held her hand. “If he hadn’t done all that… would you be here right now? Call me selfish, but I am glad you two broke up.” He took a wet tissue to wipe her hand clean just in case she thinks of smearing it over his face. “And why are you wiping my hand right now??” she can’t comprehend what he was trying to do. “Just in case you feel like slapping my face… I would not want all those on my face.” She laughed out loud.

“You are unbelievably cute!” she kissed him on cheek. “I can’t imagine not having you in my life” she hugged him tight. “That is my point.  Imagine if he hadn’t done all that he did. Would you be here with me?” She gets what he means now. “But I’ll probably leave him for someone better… Maybe I would have had two kids by now…” she was provoking him. He let out a deep sigh. He could not reply to those words. “yeah… maybe you would be living a better life by now.”

“Hahaha! Why are you suddenly sensitive all of a sudden? You were really positive just a while ago!” he looked at her and instantly knew she was fooling him. She turned to face the TV but her fingers are already intertwining with his. “I think I should thank him too. I wouldn’t be this happy if I hadn’t been through all that” He tightened the grip on her hand to acknowledge that. They sat silently, watching the TV.

Gary was positive going on set. Jihyo can’t help being worried. She has to face him after so long. But she is more worried if he does something that would make Gary uncomfortable.  She was more worried about Gary. Before they went into the room for the pre-filming briefing, she stopped him before they reached the door. He saw her worried face and wrapped his arms around her waist.  “Oppa, promise me you will control yourself.” He touched his forehead to hers. “I promise. Please don’t worry too much. You won’t look good on camera” her hand naturally caressing his cheek as she always does when nobody’s around. But she was looking through him, her mind was elsewhere. Gary saw that too. When her thumb got near his mouth, he turned and bit on it to bring her back to reality. “That hurst!” she glared at his laughing face. He took her thumb in his hand and tried to kiss it better. “You were already off somewhere, I had to bring you back.  Can we go in now?”

She took a deep breath and let it out. He leaned down for a kiss to distract her. The kiss lasted longer than he intended. He needed to find comfort too.  He was nervous too.

“Ya! You lovebirds just can’t be left alone!” Kwangsoo interrupted them. She blushed and hid her face while hugging Gary close. Gary saw Jihoon slowing his steps walking towards them.  He saw them but pretended he didn’t. Kwangsoo pushed them into the room before Jihoon is near.  The rest of them are already inside the room. Gary led Jihyo to sit on the empty stools behind the fully occupied sofa. Sitting close, he leaned backwards to rest his arms on the table top behind them, a hand on her back. Her hand resting on his thigh.

PDs started briefing them on the filming process and what to expect. Too many guests, which means they are all going to be separated to be in teams with the guests.  Gary as usual, gets the pretty girls. “Sorry I can’t let you be with jihyo… You two are too sweet the fans are going to go crazy” The PD was just highlighting that fact for the guests, so they know the situation to expect during filming. “To be fair, I am giving jihyo the pretty boys” the PD joked and continued with the other teams.

She leaned in and whispered “Please don’t flirt too much… I am jealous”.  She gets jealous seeing girls around him. “Yes, ma’am” he answered a little too loud, purposely. They burst out in laughter knowing full well what he was saying yes to. He was trying to calm her nerves.  She appreciated that.

….

They were given a one hour break on the train.  Gary thought it went well, he was cool with sitting next to her ex. Her ex was not. He guiltily took pleasure in that. Jihyo was constantly watching him from behind, worried because she could not see what is happening in front. Gary went to the back to see her. Her team mate, being understanding, stood up to mingle around with the other guests. Gary nodded his thank you to him.  “Here, eat this… you don’t look good” he handed a bun to her. She took it and ate silently. He leaned in to whisper while she ate “Heyy… please cheer up. I did as promised.. I won’t get into trouble… promise me you’ll film normally?” he talked so softly it made her warm. She nodded agreeing to him. “Tell me you’ll do it” He was nuzzling her cheek. “I will. But don’t make me jealous with the two girls ok?” He nodded his head agreeing.  Whatever makes her better.

Jihoon wanted to talk to her. He wanted to officially apologize but with Gary there, he was afraid. From Kwangsoo, he knows Gary is very sensitive when it comes to her. He’ll just wait until filming ends.  Maybe at the hotel.

Before separating to their rooms to rest, all of them had dinner together at the hotel’s private dining room. The room was full of laughter while they talked about the day’s filming. They mingled around.  Gary went up to Jihoon and pat him on his back to get his attention.  Jihoon turned and was surprised to see him there. Gary was smiling. “Jihoon ssi… Please don’t feel so awkward around me.” He was feeling awkward. “I know what you did to her… I am upset but however it is in the past. In a way as much as I want to hate you, I have to thank you for that past… we all make mistakes we regret. I did too. But all those mistakes make us better. You have moved on and so has she.” Jihoon starts to calm down listening to him. He now knows why people say he gives some sense of calm and peace when he talks. “Because of your mistake… she has now become the best woman I could imagine being with.” Jihoon smiled. Jihyo saw that. Her man and her ex is talking and smiling. She found it weird but comforting.  Gary never looked so gentlemanly cool. She doesn’t know what the conversation is about, but she knew it’s for the better.

She decided it’s about time she faces it. She went up to them and touched Gary on his back. He turned and held onto her hand. “I believe you’ve met this man before…” he joked. “Do you want me to leave you two together to talk?” Gary offered. He wanted her to have the closure. She smiled lovingly at him. “No, you stay here and listen too” Jihyo gripped his hand tighter for the confidence. Jihoon agreed to that. “Jihyo… I am sorry for what I put you into in the past.  We were young back then. You have always been a good girl but I have no excuse for what I did... I am sorry” His head bent down apologetically.

“You know… it was hard for me to see you once again. It brings back all those memories.  But oppa tells me..” she looked at Gary so he knows whom she meant. “it’s in the past… If all those had not happened. I would not be here now. I am happy with my life now. We were young. We have grown up wiser.” She smiled. “the wise thing now is for us to leave the past behind us and move on anew…”

“Let’s shake on it” he held out his hand to her. She shook it. “So let’s make it less awkward between us. I know it’ll take time. But let’s try” He remembered her being as positive before. He was glad she had not lost her good qualities. “By the way… you have chosen well, Jihyo” he looked at Gary. She turned to look at him too. “Yes, I have.” She said proudly.

….

She was drying her hair and he was reading the hotel guide on the bed. “Want to eat anything? I am ordering some food before the kitchen close. I don’t want to be hungry later”. She went on the bed beside him to look at the room service menu.

He put down the phone. And gathered her into his arms. “How are you now?” He wanted to hear it from her lips. “I am okay.”

She sat up and faced him. “I was looking at you from across the room when you were talking to him. I have never seen you more handsome!” she leaned down for a peck on the lips. “True as he said… I have chosen well.  I have never felt so proud of you to walk up to him like that.”

“I don’t think he will walk up to me anytime soon… I had to”

“You had to?”

“I wanted both of you to have closure… So I can live peacefully without him on your mind. Before I get jealous, I have to settle it” She laughed at his reasoning. She knows his real reasons well. “Thank you. Come to think of it… You are beyond my expectation!”

“What did you expect me to do? Punch him??” he was acting it out to her amusement. “Or should I pin him down like this?” he turned towards her and pinned her down. “That would be so gay!!” She feigned being disgusted.  He chuckled and kissed her cringing nose. “What did you expect?”

She held onto the face above hers with both hands and smiled that loving smile. “I expected some sarcasm… you’re always good with it when you’re jealous” he laughed because her words are obviously true. “I didn’t have to do anything and he was already frozen in his seat… I couldn’t do it.  Besides I promised you I’d behave, didn’t i?” She circled her arms around his neck and pulled him down for a hug.

A knock sounded on the door. “Keep quiet, it’s room service” he went to the door to take the food cart in by himself. “You ordered so much!” She was surprised to see so much food on the cart. “You didn’t eat much at dinner, I know you would be hungry by now”

She jumped out of bed and gave him a hug. “Have I told you how much I love you?”

He turned around to look at her “Not since this morning.”

“I love you so much it tortures me to sit at the back and not see what’s affecting you in the front seat” His eyes rounded hearing her said that. “Seriously?? You had that worried face on the whole time??” She nodded guiltily. “But I know you look beautiful anyway… even when you cry… do you know that I’ve never seen anyone cries so beautifully?”

“I know” she said matter-of-factly. She went to sit at the table and started munching on the food. He watched her eat. He can never find a flaw in her beauty. He took a notepad and pen and started scribbling on the bed.

She felt the silence had been too long and turned to look at what he was doing. “What are you writing? I thought you’re done writing the new song. Can’t you take a break for a while and eat with me”

“Just give me 10 minutes... I got some idea to improve the new song”.  After he wrote the verse, he took his phone to record his rap.  She heard him and smiled while eating. She loves how he writes of her so beautifully.  When he finished she pulled him to his feet and hugged him. “Thank you, love. Remind me to reward you later” she winked and pulled him to the food.