The Show

One Shot: Loving Kang Gary

“Noona… The PD just called….” 

Jihyo sighed when she heard her brother spoke, knowing what is coming. Moonie knew that she doesn’t like last minute or urgent work because she is the type that plans her days to ensure she is able to give her best at work and balance out her life. Things like this upset her but she could not say no. Contract was signed.  

 She looked at Gary busy packing his backpack. They planned for a short road trip away before she has her work scheduled the next day. The worst thing about these impromptu work is breaking it to Gary. They’re at the stage where they are very comfortable and rarely fight or argue over petty matters but this new show of hers is taking a toll on Gary. 

 “I am really sorry sis… I told them you need to rest but they insisted this will have a great impact on the show and since it is not being received as well as they expected, they want.. Ermmthey are forcing you to go. I didn’t dare argue further… You know how they are.” 

 She released a loud sigh again. Stress building up. “I don’t have a choice anyway.. I guess I have to cancel my plan with Gary now… Haiihhh but he’s really excited and he’s packing up right now.. What do I do??” Moonie can hear her desperation. He cannot do anything to help. They both agreed to take on the job for her. They have to live with it now. 

 She ended the call and calmed herself to talk to him. “Honey…” He turned to look at her and instantly got worried seeing the look on her face. He left what he was doing and walked to her sitting on the couch and sat next to her, holding her hand. 

“What is wrong??” She sighed and looked at him in the eyes. She turned sideways to face him and held onto his cheek. 

“We will have to cancel our plan…” He knew what was coming next and got upset.  

“What is wrong with them?! Can’t they just do things properly and respect your time..” He wasn’t mad at her but she had to hear him get angry. She dreaded this part of breaking the news to him. It can turn his mood around in a split second. 

 “The problem is we both signed a contract with them.. And whatever you do effects the show too. They think that we have not done enough..” 

“What do they expect.. I told them to expect this from the fans. We have one of the most influential branding as a couple. Our couple branding is the most expensive.. They know how strong our fan base is” 

“They must have thought we have separate followings that can support our side projects… But looking at it now.. I don’t think our fans are open to anybody else taking me away from you..Not even for a short project. I thought they’d treat it like my other drama projects. It is scripted..” 

“They’re trying to make it real.. The fans are very protective, they hate this arrangement. You can act all you want but these people promoting and provoking them with the idea that you’re falling for him instead of me.. is making them doubt our credibilities and honesty. Fans will get sick of us someday..Even our couple ratings by ad agencies are dropping. It’s hard for me to keep the rating and at the same time trying to support this project. I am not used to making things up. I can tell half truths but I really cannot lie. This is not good for me!” 

He sounded very upset and frustrated. She is upset too and it wasn’t her personal choice in the first place. In fact she was the one whom objected to it but he talked her into it realizing the big potential market in China for them and Moonie.  

“How do u think I feel??” She started raising her voice. She was upset too and him ranting at her made it worse. “I didn’t want this. YOU wanted this. I did as you wanted. So stop being upset at me.. You should have considered the consequences and expect this to happen. That kind of money doesn’t come easy.” She was kind of upset that he was excited of the project because of the big payment and exposure they’re offering. She understood that he hustles in his work so she knows why he accepted it and made her do it. She was upset that he didn’t think it would come to this when she had told him before to think it over to see if it is worth the money. She is from the industry.. She knows how it works better than him but he was so positive about it.. But not anymore. 

 He turned to the front and sat back closing his eyes trying to calm himself. Trying not to fight with her. She knew this too and got upset even more. She went into the room and took her bag and car key and headed out. He sensed her moving but didn’t think she’d walk out.. He opened his eyes and saw her walking to the door and jumped up to follow. 

 “Wait! Where are you going?” He sounded calmer. 

“To work.” She answered flatly, avoiding his eyes. She knows she’d give in to him without getting her point across if she givein now. She need for him to understand that it was not her choosing and she was doing what he wanted so he had no right to rant out at her. 

“Now?” 

“Yes, now. I’ll have meetings tomorrow morning. Will go to Beijing in 3 days.” 

“What?? China?? Why didn’t u tell me??” He sounded upset again. 

“I was trying to tell you! You didn’t listen. I just got the call!” She was upset too. He had not experienced her like that for a while that it struck him. 

“We are both upset now. Not a good time to talk. Let’s take these few days to calm down. We’ll talk when we come back.” She had to end it before it gets worse. 

He nodded agreeing to her. Trying not to talk much, fearing it’ll make things worse. “When are you coming back?” She was already walking through the door. 

“Monday. I’ll see you at filming.” And she shut the door and walked away. Setting her mind to work mode. Turning off her emotions for a while. She’ll let him cool off. She needs to cool off too. 

… 

Gary was tossing around in bed that night. He hates it when issues are not resolved. He was unfair to Jihyo. She had all the right to be upset with him. He wanted her to have the time to calm down before he talks to her. He knows Jihyo will turn off all her personal problems when she is working and considering the urgent call she received that morning, he assumed she must be busy the whole day. He was not sure if she had finished for the day. He wanted to talk but he didn’t want to effect her mood while she is working. 

 

It was midnight. “She should finish by now right?” He was asking himself. “Stupid! Why didn’t I call Moonie??” He was cursing himself. He picked up his phone and texted Moonie. 

“Is your sister done with work?” 

“Yes, about half hour ago… Did you fight? She’s not herself right now. She was working fine the whole day but after work she’s just not as usual.” 

“A little.. I need to talk to her. Don’t tell her I texted.” 

“OK.. But we’re in the car now, heading home… She said she wanted to have breakfast with our parents tomorrow so she’s spending the night at home” 

“Help me.. Let me know when I can call..” 

“Parents are already asleep by now. We’ll be retiring to our rooms when we reach home. Try in half an hour. We’re almost home.” 

“Thanks, bro..” 

“Don’t stress yourself. She loves you.. Just be nice to her. She’s really tired today.” 

“Will do. Goodnight” 

.. 

The half an hour was one of the longest he’d ever lived. Waiting to talk to her. He was not even sure if she is going to answer his call. But he wanted to call so he can be less miserable. Hopefully. 

 

He dialed the speed dial number 8 for his lucky charm. It was ringing for a while before she picked up.  

“Hello..” She sounded tired. 

“Hello, honey… You sound tired.” He spoke with his deep voice. She can hear him being mellow. She was upset with him but hearing his voice like that made her feel better. 

“I am tired. It’s been a busy day.” She was calm. Not soft but calm. 

“Ermm… I am sorry…” He sounded sorry but she was waiting for him to continue. “I was upset with them but you had to hear me get upset. I was unfair to you. You’re right… I made you take on this project, I shouldn’t put the pressure on you. I am sorry..” 

“Oppa… I know you well to know why you do things. It’s just that, I do feel that it is unfair to me. I didn’t want to do it but you convinced me that it will be fine. But now that it is not.. You’re the one being upset when I should have been more upset.” She explained calmly for him to understand her side. 

“I know. I was ranting and then I realized I should have been more considerate…” 

“Besides being my boyfriend.. You’re my boss too. Either way, I’d want to do as you wish. But sometimes I wish you’d just be my boyfriend and comfort me instead of ranting. This is hard on me…” Her voice cracked and he felt his heart constricting in pain. 

“I’m sorry…” He had no words to explain. He could not explain himself.  

“I know you are, oppa…” She comforted him. “Otherwise you wouldn’t be calling me this late.” He smiled hearing her improved tone. “You’re supposed to sleep now. You have a meeting early in the morning.” She remembered his schedule too. 

“I can’t sleep.. I need to talk to you…” He paused. “I miss you” his honesty never failed to make her smile. 

“What is your call time tomorrow?” He wanted to make sure that he’s not robbing her of her rest time. 

“I’m going out at 10am… I’ll have breakfast with mom and dad first. You have a meeting at 8.30am. You should get in bed now…” 

“Are you coming back before going to Beijing?” He was hoping to see her. 

“Oppa… Let’s treat this as our time out. Not that I don’t miss you.. I think the stress is building up that we have to spend some time apart and cool off…” She heard him sigh. “I think you need it more than I do. I wouldn’t want us arguing over my sudden change of schedule or my lack of time for you. You get what I mean right?” She didn’t want him to get her wrong. 

“I get u. I have to agree with you on me needing it.” 

“So we’re good?” She had to make sure he’s ok with it. 

“Yes.. We’re good…” She heard his voice dragged trying to continue. “..but.. Can you do something for me tonight? I know you’re tired and all.. “ 

“If it doesn’t require me getting out of the room.. Sure.” 

“Facetime?” He heard her small laugh when he asked that. She ended the call immediately and called him on facetime. That got him smiling so wide that he could not stop it in time when he accepted the video call. She was laughing at him. 

“You’re so happy right now aren’t you?” He could see her lying on her side with some light from her dimmed room light. He decided to get in bed and lie on his side facing the phone. 

“We’re side by side now..” He can be very sweet in his actions that it makes her feel loved. Not in the usual romantic ways other men would do but in his unique ways. 

“Honey, you look really tired… “ 

“I am ok.. I’ll go to sleep and I’ll be fine tomorrow morning. You need to sleep now or you’ll be cranky tomorrow!” He laughed admitting the truth in her words. 

“OK OK I’ll sleep now. I’ve seen you now, I can sleep now…” 

“Wait!” He was about to end the video call. 

“Yes?” 

“Leave the phone.. I want to watch you sleep.” that made him smile. 

“As you wish princess. Although I doubt that I’ll be sleeping before you do…” 

“Just leave it on and shut your eyes. I’ll end the call when I’m done watching you…” 

“OK, ma’am!” He shut his eyes instantly. “Goodnight, sunshine..” She heard him murmur before sleeping. “goodnight.” 

… 

She woke up to see Gary still sleeping. She didn’t end the call as she fell asleep too.  She smiled at the familiar view. The difference is she normally gets to touch and caress that face in the morning. “Oppaa…” She called out softly to him as she normally does to wake him up. She called a few times before she saw him waking up. 

He heard her voice and it registered in his mind as she being there and he sat up so quick to look for her. He heard her laugh next to him and remembered they were on facetime. She looked at her and laughed at his foolish self. 

“Aiishh.. I thought you came home to me…” He continued to lie on his side and talked facing her.  

“I woke up and saw you still sleeping.. It’s 7am. You should wake up now. Get ready for your meeting…” 

“Alright.. I’ll get ready now. Send my regards to your parents… I need to call Jongkook hyung now. I’ll talk to you tonight?” 

“OK.. All the best for your meeting.” 

 Jihyo was super busy preparing for her Beijing trip. She had sessions with communication experts assigned by the producers just to make sure her gestures get the right effect for the show. Bolin had been a good friend, he respected her and was very professional. On several occasions, he called up Gary just to inform of their scenes that require him to be extra affectionate with her. They met in Beijing to prep before she makes a surprise appearance at his event. He talked briefly to Gary over the phone when he called Jihyo.  

“If I am in his place. I would really appreciate my woman’s co-star doing this. So I am doing this to make things easy for him and for you. It’s just my way to tell him that I am being professional and not getting into his territory. We guys have our own code. We don’t mess with our friends’ women.” Bolinexplained to her when she questioned why he needs to call on Gary when he has nothing to do with it.  

 “Jihyo.. You’re very kind and considerate. Your boyfriend may trust and love you but he must have some insecurity too. Because you’re nice to everybody, he knows that men like him will definitely want you. If he can be madly in love with you and willing to do anything for you, to him, there may be some other men willing to do that too. I am working closely with you, there is a possibility I may fall for you like he did so me assuring him that it’s not happening is a big relief. He’s a great man.. He’s just too humble to see that.” 

“Thank you. You’re a good man too. Not my kind of man but you’re good.. For your woman, you’ll be the greatest man.. As he is to me.” She hugged him in appreciation.  

 “You know… He tells me often to take good care of you and protect you from these super hungry producers. He is worried for your well-being more than he is about other things. He definitely has his priority set. As a man.. to have a man so protective of you yet he doesn’t force you to do things his way, that’s the best you can ever ask for. He could have told you to slow down in your work or take on projects that would keep him at ease but he didn’t. He let you explore your potential. He wanted the best for you. If a man is able to forgo securing you to himself for you to live your dreams, don’t let him go.”   They often have these talks during their breaks and that made her comfortable working with him because he has become a good friend to her and to Gary as well. 

 “Yeah.. I know all that. It’s the reason I am with him. He had shown me all that. In the beginning it was all lovey dovey and romantic and we couldn’t care less of what happens around us. But when it happened, it hit us hard because we didn’t know how to handle things. I gave up on him…” 

 “That was when I met him… During his wild days.” Bolin had to laugh at that memory. “He was really different back then. I was different too, so we got along well partying when he came over. Then suddenly, he stopped. We weren’t that close so I didn’t ask. After working with you and seeing him with you.. I know his reasons. I actually asked him last week.” 

 “Seriously?? He hates talking of those times to me.” 

“Of course… He doesn’t want you to be upset. It’s his past anyway. When I asked, he told me that he had been partying for months and got to a point that he asked himself what he really wanted and if it was doing him any good. He changed overnight. He got to work. He said he has what he had always wanted. He has money and fame. He has the freedom to do music… But he can’t seem to make good music. He felt detached. Being the lyricist, he sure put it right… He said ‘ I had all the pieces but nothing connects them’ he was lost I guess.”  

“And I connected them…” She had heard him said that before..In a song he wrote for her. 

“He wrote that in a song for me.” She smiled proudly. 

“He sure writes a lot about you!” 

“Yes! I have to tell him often ‘do not release that song’ or ‘change those words if you’re releasing it’. I know I am controlling his work, but he’s so used to expressing himself so openly that it will make him vulnerable. I love his honesty and his work… Just that, we never know who has bad intentions against you.. When you show too much of yourself, you give them the upper hand. I did that to protect him.. And us.” 

 They had a long heart-to-heart talk that night, talking of love and life.  It was late when she came out of his room to retire to her room. It was too late to be calling Gary knowing he has meetings to attend the next morning. She missed him after the chat with Bolin

 She tapped on the app on the phone to watch the CCTV footage of their home. She thought of going through the archive to see him going in and out of the house during the day. He had CCTVs installed facing the front door and on the balcony for security reasons. She has a habit of watching the CCTV when she is away and missing him, unknown to him. She made a point to not use it to check his movements and he had agreed on that too when he had them installed. 

 She noticed the live footage is actively recording movement.  Gary is on the balcony lazing in his chair, writing. She watched him and as if he could feel her watching, he glanced up at the CCTV before getting up to go to bed. 

 The next day, his SNS feeds were filled with pictures of her and Bolin. Gary looked through every pic. “I wish I can have her attending my personal event like this.” She did offer herself before. He refused to have her at his events… Until the time is right. He thinks that she should not be tied down by him or their relationship. But still, he is proud of her going places.  

 She took the last flight in that night. When she arrived it was past midnight and they had filming that morning.  “Are you going back to your house or mine?” Moonie asked as they walked to the car. He was referring to Gary’s house he is living in. 

“I’ll go stay at your place. It’s already late and you’d have to pick me up tomorrow if I go home. I’ll let you have an hour of extra sleep. I’ll go home with you. I think he’s asleep now anyway. I can just see him tomorrow.”   She didn’t text him or call him the whole day although he did text earlier. She was too busy and by the time she reached it was already too late, He needed his rest. 

 When she went on set in the morning. She saw Gary and he was gloomy. She knew it must have been because she didn’t reply to him the day before. He smiled at her but not the normal cheerful smile. Everybody else soon crowded her to ask about her Beijing trip.  No chance for her to talk to Gary. They had to get ready fast and started soon after. 

Gary was his normal self but didn’t talk much to her. They had some sort of gag orders from the company. Monday Couple was instructed to lay low and avoid interactions where possible. He’s doing his job well avoiding her during filming. She went along too. It was kind of weird to suddenly make Monday couple cold but they had to for the sake of her new show and the pressure from both companies. 

 When transferring to another location, she sat next to him in the back. She can’t talk to him since cameras are recording but she placed her hand on his knee where it’s off the camera shot. Soon, his hand was on hers and she turned hers around to hold his hand. They sat in silence, holding hands for comfort. Small movements of their fingers intertwining are their only communication during the ride but both knew they are OK. 

 After filming ended late that night, Gary went to her. “Are you coming home tonight?” 

“I’ll have Moonie drop me off. I’ll see you at home, ok?” She smiled and he walked on to avoid people noticing them talking in private. 

 She reached home 1minutes after he did. He was already on the couch watching TV. She took off her jacket and went to sit next to him and turned into his arms for a hug. She felt him laugh softly at her action just before he turned and kissed her forehead. 

“Hi, baby..” He kept on watching the TV but his arms brought her closer to him. 

“HI, handsome..” He laughed again while she smiled, kissing his cheek. He turned to look at her in the eyes, “You’re tired. Let’s go to bed. We have filming tomorrow.” He turned off the TV and pulled her up and walked into the bedroom.  

 “How was Beijing?” She lay on her side facing him. Her hand caressing his cheek. She missed doing that. “It’s OK.. Luckily I have Bolin to chat with. We talked quite a lot about you..” He was surprised to hear that. “Really??” 

“He told me how much you care for me and how lucky I am to have a man so protective of me. Somehow, I see some good in doing the show. Spending time with Bolin somehow gets me closer to you. He was with you during the days you hated me… he kind of make sense of things and made me understand you better.”  He chuckled at the word hate.

“I hated you… so much.” He rephrased her words, his fingers touching her lips. “I hated everything about you. I was really angry. That was the only way I can get over you. Or so I thought.” She smiled because it is the complete opposite right now.

“Honey, I am sorry for the other day. I should have been more supportive. I got you into this… I’d put much more thought in the future before committing to a project.” He changed the subject. He wanted to apologize.

“I believe things happen to teach us of new things. This is definitely teaching us something. I just hope you have the patience to go through this. We’re almost done. Things will get better after this. We’re both stressed out right now. Let’s keep things calm as much as we can.”

“I am lucky to have you… Please don’t leave me ever..” He gathered her close to lie on his chest. He released a deep breath of relief.

“I love you too”