[DRUMSTEP] Breathe

† Demon † Princess

 

 

The pain is intense, yet he finds it more tolerable than before, a dull rhythmic pound in his chest. He has survived the event of last night. That much is certain. He has been unconscious for? There is no way to tell how much time has passed since the world faded out of focus, since Blood Lust... Blood Lust...

I see you are awake, mister Sword Demon sir. Though, without being possessed by mother's treasure, hmm, does that make you the Sword Demon still?

A voice bearing great purity and clarity penetrates deep, dispersing the thick fog in his head. A voice... resembling that of a child. It is what fills his emptiness. Had he been...

I would not call it that. No, no. I am more of a guide. Do not worry too much, sir. I would not force you to do anything you do not wish to do. So long as you let me come out to play often. I like to play.

Who are you?

Attempt to flex your right hand and you will know that I am Daughter. Let us be best friends.

The more he concentrates on his right hand, the more diluted the pain becomes... even the one at his wounded shoulder. The weight in his palm is solid and warm. Much lighter than Blood Lust, yet there is something else...

It will not do to compare us, sir.

He raises his heavy eyelids and blinks, but it does him no good. Nothing... as if a blindfold lays between him and sight.

The eternal fire rages on as she watches his fingers work in vain. "There is nothing covering your eyes. Save yourself the effort."

He does not seem to hear her. His fingers continue to claw away at his eyes... as if such foolish display of dedication would enable him to see again. "So this is your revenge."

"Revenge? That is hardly the case. Revenge has never been a motive." She is incapable of lying. "I only mean to separate you from the sword, but you have been linked to Blood Lust for a very long time. Severing such an intricate bond has left you in a miserable predicament. Perhaps... worse than what I had initially anticipated. Daughter's calming lullaby has helped you achieve deep slumber."

That would be me. I am Daughter.

"Sleep enables your mind and body to heal what it can."

His lost of sight, he can only blame himself... for having been led by the voice in his head. If this is to be the outcome of such an ill union, he has every inclination to accept it.

Fear not, sir. If you cannot see, I will be your eyes. But... you seem distant... as if you do not wish for my help. Shall I call you brother or father? To close the strange, cold gap between us?

Yes, it is strange. How long has he been asleep in this strange, dark place?

Four nights. You almost woke up on the third, father... but mother kicked you in the head accidentally. An accident, father. I am sure of it.

"I see you two have exchanged pleasantries."

Scarcely aware, he has unsheathed the short wakizashi.

"In your current state of mind, you will require her assistance. When you are no longer in need... you may return her to me. Until then, she is yours. I trust you will use her... with greater wisdom."

His fingers graze the playful surface of Daughter's blade. The texture has become his direct familiar. "Why have you given me... your sword?"

"I thought I had explained it quite well, the reason."

"Why have you spared my life? Do you mean to insult the memory of your loved ones?"

"They will understand. Consider my debt repaid."

It will not do to argue with mother. Her pride cannot be hurt for she has given it up to create my twin brothers, Main Hand and Off Hand.

... What is it you mean by... given it up?

I see... so you know, but only to a certain extent. I had assumed you knew the rest. Do not worry, father. I will tell you. Mother, she cannot mold us out of thin air. She has gives us life by sacrificing a part of her own.

Then... you must be her inner child.

Not quite. I am her free spirit.

Soon, he catches himself wondering... was Blood Lust created in the same way? Where was it now? Ah, yes. He remembers. His cousin, Donghae, is still alive... but he is not here.

"Where is he?"

"If you mean the new wielder of Blood Lust, then... he has run off again." She does not sound at all surprised by his cousin's action... as if the man runs away like a coward more times than she can count.

"Then that can only mean..."

"He has been taken." Not immune. The answer she had hoped to see proven false.