✎ faq + guide

✕ nycto academy, a supernatural universe roleplay ; semi-para { 060514 - 091314 }
roleplay guide
-
FAQ.
[ GENERAL ROLEPLAYING/JOINING ]
Q. I've never rp-ed this way before. (semi-para/para/third p.o.v) But I really want to join!
A. Only been used to action and script style? No problem! The admins are here to help. The first thing to consider is how to type in a longer, more in-depth style. Majority of the members practice writing short paragraphs, some type longer than others. But the thing is, we all try and type in the para style. It doesn't matter if you're not as skilled. Think as if you're telling a story, as if writing a fanfic! Observe how other people do it first, then when you're ready, you can try it out. Here is a quick guide to get you started! [ LINK ]

Q. I don't do para. Can I still join?
A. Of course. We're open to all roleplayers. It's not forbidden to do action or scrpit type, but since majority use the para type, you may feel a little left out. The members prefer doing para because it helps develop their characters more. Some have been like you, but eventually they adjusted and have now grown to typing this way.

[ TYPING THE CHARACTER BACKGROUND ]
Q. I'm having a hard time describing my character/building a backstory.
A. This is usually the case for applicants, but don't fret!
1) Here is a quick helpful guide to get you started. [ LINK ]
2) Another method is to try remembering characters in dramas you've watched, books you've read, even real life people you've met. Try to borrow some of their characteristics and build your characters accordingly. Make sure everything fits in. If you wish your character to be a shy, quiet type, set his/her hoobies to match. Perhaps reading, writing, painting could be a few. Set the habits; perhaps s/he bites her lips when nervous, or fidgets when facing new people, but slowly opening up and gaining a friend. You get the drift?

Q. Is a background required?
A. Not necessarily, but it'll be very helpful knowing your character's past to be able to form plots and further develop their personalities.Don't worry, it's not required as soon as you get in. Maybe along the way, after you've met the members, you can start building the past with some events, maybe incorporate your plots in it as well.

Q. What if I want my character a little y/rebellious/badass?
A. We allow such characters, yes (because let's face it - not everyone is always nice). The admins, however, expect that the character's typist will be able to control his/her actions and words so as not to affect other characters or even roleplayers. We will not tolerate ooc drama, so please be careful how you interact. This is where plotting comes in.

[ PLOTTING/GOD-MODDING ]
Q. How do you "plot"?
A. Good question. If you wish to interact with a certain character, you may start plotting by privately messaging him/her and discussing things ooc. Plots can occur with a back story, a conflict, or simply a casual meeting. First get to know the other character. How does s/he behave? Could the House s/he falls under affect how you interact? Try and picture it. Once you have a scene playing in your head, talk it out with the other person. Soon, you'll be bursting with ideas, and a plot will form.

** If in some cases the plot shifted into something you didn't expect - say, for example, the other character was taken aback and got angry for some reason - ask the other person ooc again to clarify. Good plots do have twists and turns, and if you think the twist was a good one, proceed to continuing your plot. If you feel uncomfortable, like the other person has somehow controlled the plot already without your consent, proceed to the next question.

Q. What is "god-modding"?
A. There are two types of god-modding.
1) Character type of god-modding. This is when the typist makes his/her character too.. perfect. Seemingly flawless, unable to be defeated in any way. (Otherwise known as a Mary Sue or Gary Stu) Because let's face it - no one is perfect, no one is flawless. You can't have your character do one thousand push-ups a minute; that's physically or humanly impossible. Your character may be pretty, btu she can't attract everyone; we all have different preferences. Besides, flaws make a character beautiful, in his or her own way. Try to be realistic when interacting, imagine what your character will do.
2) Plot type of god-modding. This is when a character starts taking control of the situation without the other person's consent. The plot tends to go in favor of the god-modding character, and it could be misunderstood. Best thing to do is to, again, talk this out. Make everything clear. If you think the other person is god-modding, ask why it happened first. Perhaps there is a reason behind it. After which you two may settle it and proceed to your plot. Remember, roleplaying is merely for fun, not for sadistic tendencies. >__>

[ HOUSES/COUPLES ]
Q. Why are we separated in Houses? Why are we against each other? Why can't we all just be one school?
A. We ARE one school. The purpose of the House is to give each character a family to call their own, for them to be assured that they have people backing them up and who will always be loyal to them. It doesn't mean you're always against each other. You may notice it's usually the tandem of Silver and Gold, Red and Black. Competition only occurs during House Cup events, to test teamwork and camaraderie. (And c'mon, where's the fun if we're all just one big school?) Nycto may have four different Houses, but all these four are allied to one another, regardless what the impressions are. There may be a few instances of animosity, but all in all, the Houses are meant to test your boundaries. Friends are just around the corner, whether in the same House as yours or not.

Q. How come we can't date someone from another House?
A. Actually, YOU CAN. You can date anyone, but take note of this: IN-CHARACTER, dating between Houses is not allowed. You can only date someone from your own House. But OUT OF CHARACTER, we appreciate all couples! For example, the boy is in Black and the girl is in Gold. They wish to be together but this rule hinders them. Not a problem! Just inform the prefects ooc about the couple. We will add it to our couple list, and they will be considered an official ship ooc. However, when in character, the dreaded rule applies, and they must not get caught by the prefects UNLESS plotted. (Don't worry, maybe one day the prefects will abolish that rule. Maybe.)

Q. Can I transfer Houses?
A. Yes. IF you meet the standards of the prefect of your new desired House. There may or may not be an initiation from the receiving prefect, and you must inform the two involved prefects. But be careful when doing this, you may be labeled as a traitor by your old House, so choose your House wisely.
 
DO'S and DON'TS.
DO. Greet everyone. Old members, welcome our newbies. New members, don't be shy and interact with us. Try to warm up by answering wall posts. One you feel comfortable enough, you may go around and ask to plot. Soon you'll feel at ease and you'll get used to how interaction happens here! ^__^
DON'T. Don't be a snob or a hermit, we beg you. ;; As much as we consider there are these shy, quiet and mysterious characters, it beats the purpose of roleplaying if you choose not to interact properly, or not talk at all. Do not complain that no one talks to you if you yourself don't reply to them. You get what you give, or in this case, you don't get what you don't give.

DO. Be open to plotting. It's more fun coming up with interesting scenes rather than the usual, bumping-in-the-hallways type of meeting. (No offense, but it really does get old. ^^;) Try to recall movies, books, dramas, even fanfics! Then talk to other people ooc and exchange ideas.
DON'T. Be a prude and ignore people who wish to interact with your character. It means they are interested to get to know you. Also, don't rely on other people to come up with starters all the time for you. Plotting is a two-way process, not just one person coming up with the main idea and the other just replies. Don't be shy to discuss ideas, but make sure to word them out carefuly so that the other person doesn't misunderstand.

DO. Make friends. What, you didn't join this roleplay to create enemies, did you? You may gain a few, but make sure they are all plotted and will only stay in character.
DON'T. Join this roleplay just to get yourself involved romantically right on your first day/week. We don't mind if you're enthusiastic about ships, or open to love, but please, this isn't a matchmaking roleplay. Do not force ships that aren't/can't be real, do not go girl/boyfriend hunting as well. If you're simply going to join to complain how no one is attractive enough for you then joke's on you; that kind of attitude is more unattractive than looks.

DO. Respect everyone; the prefects, the members, and yourself. Having respect for one's self earns the respect of others! (But remember, self-respect is different from vanity. =_=)
DON'T. Do anything that will ruin your faceclaim's image, or even your character's image. We don't appreciate people who purposely flirt to break couples up, or send hate publicly. Even though this is an alternate universe, try and act realistic. A boy doesn't giggle very often (but they do make adorable, unmanly sounds at appropriate situations eue), and a girl isn't made to be a doll. Students are students, don't force something into them just because you want your character to be cool or unique. Everyone stands out one way or another.

DO. Treat people fairly. Okay, we get that some cold, mysterious characters can only be warm towards one or a few people, or a nice, bubbly person has a bully. And that's okay! Bear in mind that it's all in character.
DON'T. Facechase, or be selective. Step out of your comfort zone once in a while and reply to all the posts for you. We understand the feeling of getting tingly when a new member arrives and his faceclaim is your ultimate bias (Prefect Woohyun is still patiently waiting for a nice, -caressing Dongwoo), but facechasing will not get you anywhere. If you treat someone very nicely (or in some cases, flirtatiously) just because the character is your bias then we're seriously frowning upon you. We don't endorse such an act.

DO. Make friends with the typists. A cold character's typist might turn out to be a warm, bubbly one, or an innocent character's mun could be as noisy as Sungyeol and Woohyun combined. Who knows, you might find the bestest Internet friends you'll have!
A. Cause OOC drama. Any abusive actions and words directed ooc will not be tolerated. The prefects shall immediately take action on any inconvenience, whether major or minor offenses. Also, cliques are not forbidden, but discouraged. These kinds of groups make new members feel left out. You may have these small groups, but be open to talking and being friends with newbies too! Fraternities and sororities, however, are not allowed.