Everlasting Flowers

Everlasting Flowers

Everlasting Flowers

Moving from America to South Korea was a big shock.

You had no friends in Seoul, you barely could speak korean and your parents were always absent from home in their new jobs. Before the first day of school, the only think you could do was spending the whole day in your room, on the internet.

But, finally, the first day of school arrived.

The school was the best one in Seoul, and the most expensive too. Only daughters and sons of CEOs, politics and artists studied there. Your family was also very rich, but you had no interest in that lifestyle. 

Before the class started, you found the school library. That was the most peaceful and empty place in the whole building. Walking around the shelves of books, you found one you wanted to read: Love in the Times of Cholera.

You pulled the book, but, at the same time, someone pulled it from the other side of the shelf.

"Hey," a voice said on the other side, "this book is mine."

"What?" You asked, not letting go of the book, "I saw it first."

Suddenly, the person pulled it from your hands. You looked through the vacant space in the shelf and saw the most handsome guy you had ever. Anyway, he was a thief of books.

You chose a different book and seat beside him in the library study table. He raised his head from the book and looked at you.

"Looks like you gave up on this one." He said, pointing at the book on his hands, with a victorious smile on his ing good looking face.

"Looks like you are pretty naive, thief."

He laughed.

You two spent minutes in silence, side by side, reading your books, but completely aware of each others presence. Finally, he closed his book.

"By the way, my name is Daehyun, not thief." He said before leaving the library.

—-

In the following days, you heard a lot of stories about the F4.

As your classmates told you, they were a group of extremely rick kids, they were also a kind of a gang inside that school. Everyone had to obey their “superiority”. And that just disgusted you.

But, besides that, something amazing was happening.

Everyday, before the first class, you would run to the library just to be the first one to get Love in the Times of Cholera. Sometimes, you would succeed; sometimes, Daehyun would already be there, reading it.

"Why won’t Ariza simply forget about Fermina?" Daehyun asked, talking with himself while reading the book. You were beside him, reading Persuasion.

"That’s the beauty of Love in the Times of Cholera." You said, not stopping your readings. "He will never expect her to accept his love, but he will never give up on waiting for Fermina."

"But…" Daehyun muttered.

He closed the books and looked around.

"I was thinking…" He said.

"Hum?"

"You are quite annoying. You know that?"

"Well," you looked at him and smiled, "thanks."

He smiled and shook his head.

"Are you free Saturday night?"

—-

He took you to watch a movie.

After, you walked side by side around Hongdae street, watching street musicians and admiring the artists.

Suddenly, rain started to fall.

He rushed to one of Hongdae’s stores, but, with the money he had on his pocket, all he could buy was a small necklace. He looked at it, interested.

"We don’t have an umbrella, sorry." He said. "But take this."

Daehyun held your hand and put the necklace on your palm. It was a small heart in red, blue and aquamarine.

"It’s lovely." You said and smiled at him.

And that small gesture made Daehyun’s heart skip a beat. He looked at your smile and, without thinking, touched your lips with his thick lips.

—-

That week, at school, you saw F4 for the first time.

When they entered the main door into the corridor, your whole body froze. Daehyun was one of those four bastards you disliked so much.

That was the reason why you stopped showing up at the library. But you didn’t take the necklace out. You faced the dilemma and realized that your feeling for Daehyun were stronger than you imagined.

—-

After a few weeks, you messed up.

You messed up real good. At the cafeteria, during the break, you tripped on your own foot, holding a cup of coffee. You fell to the ground.

When you looked up, Yongguk, the leader of F4 had a major coffee stain on his uniform, right in front of you. Daehyun watched it all, far away, with a worried expression on his face.

The next day, first thing in the morning, you received a red card.

From that moment on, your life became hell on earth. Everyone, even closer colleagues, would laugh at you and bully you, calling you with bad names. You thought about moving to a different school, but you decided to stay and be stronger.

—-

Monday, a rumor spread like fire in the school.

People were saying two members from F4 had a serious fight. Rumors were proved true when Daehyun arrived at school with bruises in his face and arms, just like the leader, Yongguk.

That same day, your red card was cancelled.

From your classroom’s window, you saw Daehyun arriving at school. He was so hurt. You left the classroom and walked down the stair to the library. He was there, reading Love in the Times of Cholera.

"I thought you had given up on this book." He said.

You sat beside him.

"Naive as always." You took a deep breath. "You don’t need to protect me. I couldn’t care less for those idiots. I’m stronger than you think…"

"I didn’t do it for you." Daehyun interrupted. "I did it for me. I could not see them bullying the person I love. You don’t need to like me back. You don’t need to ever return to this place. I did what I had to. And I would never expected anything back. So, if you excuse me, I have a book to finish. You can go now. I want to be alone."

You sighed and took off your scarf. Under, Daehyun’s necklace was there.

"I’m staying." You said.

He looked at you and, at last, saw the necklace. He looked into your eyes, confused. This time, it was you who kissed his lips. And you kissed his bruised face.