CHAPTER 3

I'll Be There
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

“Maeri, I think you should call your brother to come get you. These girls are getting too out of hand.”

Kang Maeri’s head shot up, eyes widened in alarm and fear. Was this guidance councillor crazy? Telling Shin would only make things much worse than they already are. If Shin sets food inside the school, it would result in mayhem since half the girls idolise him and the other half bully her because Shin pays so much attention to her.

Her school life has been utterly miserable from the day she first transferred in, she always lied and told Shin everything was fine and since he didn’t live at home, she didn’t have to worry about him finding mysterious cuts and bruises on her person.

“If I tell Shin, it will only make him feel guilty.” She said fixing her hair to cover the band-aid on her forehead.

The guidance councillor shook her head disapprovingly, ultimately it was Maeri’s choice, but she felt strongly that it was the wrong one. She had witnessed plenty of times the aftermath of the abuse Maeri suffers and puts up with every damn day, so with a firm mind she had discreetly sent an email to Shin while Maeri was in the bathroom, making herself presentable again.

Maeri buttoned up her blouse, smoothing out the creases when she saw her phone flash, her eyes expanded when she saw her brother’s name across the screen. She swallowed anxiously before answering, taking a deep breathe in and out.

“Shin, what’s up?” She said in a too cheerful tone.

“Nothing, just letting you know that I’m coming to pick you up and I have a surprise for you too.”

Shin told her before hanging up, Maeri was dumbfounded as she left the bathroom, saying goodbye to the councillor and heading back to her last class for the day, which happened to be Physical Education. Her bullies always used this period to mess with her with dodge balls, she would end up with bruises after the lesson.

Maeri was still in a daze that she wasn’t paying attention to the game and got hit with a ball to the face. Her bullies sniggered as she fell flat on her back, her gym teacher looked up from his clipboard and sighed.

“Maeri, can you still play?” He asked her

“Yes.” She answered, taking a breath before getting back on her feet, brushing dirt off her bottom, taking her place on the court as the game resumed.

Five minutes into the game and a whistle was blown, everyone looked at their gym teacher, who was making his way to the entrance of the gym and speaking with a woman before turning back to them.

“Maeri, you’ve been given permission to leave early.”

Maeri ignored the stares from the girls as she collected her things and walked to entrance, bowing to her teacher as she made her way out. She knew exactly who had given her permission and started speed walking through the school to the front gate where she saw a crowd of girls gathered, chattering and squealing excitedly while taking pictures.

Expecting to see her cousin, Maeri pushed her way through the crowd of girls until she got to the front. Next thing she knew, she was grabbed and held against a firm body. The screaming girls got louder, she looked up, her eyes going a s wide as saucers.

“Kai?! What are you doing here?!” She exclaimed in surprised shock, Kai only grinned before turning her around away from the crowd and saw Shin and Kyungsoo standing just outside the gate, with grins on their faces.

“Hey Sis”

“Hey Cousin.”

They both greeted, she was about to leave Kai’s side when he pulled her back flush against him, he lowered his head to her ear. Maeri was sure she was blushing, she could feel the heat rising in her neck and cheeks. She knew that Kai was secretly into boys but being this close to him was nerve wrecking but at the same time a dream come true , she could feel the envy and jealously that the girls around them radiated.

“Just stay with me until the bell rings, after this no one will bother you again.” He whispered with a knowing smirk, placing a light kiss on her temple.

The girls around them squealed at his action towards her, some cursed her loudly even though Shin was standing right there, hearing everything. Maeri started to panic as the bell rang, followed by a massive horde of girls coming their way. Her bullies would surely see red why they see her all cuddled up with Kai of Exo. She watched anxiously as her bullies walked towards them, Maeri’s first instinct was to run away but the strong grip Kai had on her arm meant she was going anywhere.

The bullies had pushed their way to the front, shouting profanities as the crowd separated for them, they were ready to begin their daily dose of teasing when Maeri watched their faces go pale, their mouths open in shock.

“Yah! What is Kai doing with Maeri?!” The lead bully asked, shouting while eyeing Maeri with undisguised hatred and jealousy. Kai smirked smugly.

“She’s my girlfriend.” He announced, the lie rolling off his tongue with ease.

Loud, audible gasps passed through the crowd of girls, Maeri went even more red from the stares she was receiving and turned to hide her face in Kai’s shoulder. Kai gave a side glance to Shin and Kyungsoo, the cousin knew it was their cue and went to stand before Maeri’s bullies, their shock turned to surprise.

Shin eyes the girls with outrage, how dare these girls have the audacity to smile so sweetly in front of him when they were tormenting his innocent sister all this time. When he gotten that email about Maeri, he had gotten so mad he wanted to hit something. He also felt guilty that he was the reason she was being tormented daily and he didn’t know anything about it but now he knew, and he was going to make things alright.

“Listen up! I am only going to say this once and only once.”

Shin waited for the crowd to quiet down before continuing.

“Whoever harms my sister in anyway ever again, shall pay for it in blood! I know what has been happening and I am very angry about it. And you, face,” Shin took a step forward to stand toe to toe with Maeri’s tormentor, all her friends took a step back.

“Never ever go near Maeri again, don’t look at her, don’t talk to her. If I find out that you have hurt her in any way, be prepared for the consequences.” He said in a menacing tone and smirking before walking away with Kai and Maeri.

“I don’t know why you guys like Shin so much, you know yo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter