Chapter 1 - Signing Up

Contract to Their Hearts

Kris was handsome, Kris was tall, blond and from a foreign land. Many swooned when met by his cool gaze. And Kris was also nearing bankruptcy.

 He had been foolish to think he could fly to Korea and instantly make it in the world.

His small apartment didn’t cost him much but it still cost him. Plus he didn’t have a job.  His landlord would only wait so long and that time was getting shorter with every tick of the clock on the wall.

Kris lay on his second hand mattress that was one of the few belongings in his room and sighed.  How many places had he scoured? No one wanted to take him in, and he was starting to think it would have to come down to the last thing he still possessed. His looks.

He got up and walked with heavy feet to the nearest internet café, and taking out his phone that he could scarcely afford the bill to use, he searched for a nearby host club that might take him.  After noting down several different host clubs he set out again. The nearest one was JYP Host Club. As he was nearing the club he heard what sounded like a fight going on in the alley and was instantly put off, and almost changed his mind on the whole host club idea anyway. But money was money, and so deciding to come back later if he found nowhere else, he set off for the next one.

He arrived at the front door of SM Host Club at exactly the same time as another male, who Kris secretly found attractive but wouldn’t admit even to himself as he wanted to maintain his position as most attractive person in his life.

“After you.” The other male said in a distinct Chinese accent. Kris nodded his head silently towards the other to show his gratitude before pushing open the door and heading towards the main reception.

A busty woman appeared at the desk, eyeing Kris head to toe in a seemingly approving way.

“How can I help you?” She asked, leaning forward in what was probably a very seductive movement to other men. “Are you here to book an appointment? Here we have a catalogue of the different host club members if you wish_”

Kris interrupted the woman midsentence and asked “could I speak to your manager please?”

The woman looked momentarily taken aback before composing herself and nodding. “Yes, sure. Please wait here until he arrives. How can I help you?” She asked, turning towards the other male who had arrived at the same time as Kris.

“uh well.  I like to see… jīng lǐ. Same as man.” The man spoke in very broken Korean and with a distinct Chinese accent.  He looked across to Kris, his eyes pleading for help, and although Kris usually put up a good resistance to cuteness and aegyo, he couldn’t seem to help himself from coming to this stranger’s aid.

“He’d like to see the manager too.” Kris said to the receptionist.

The woman nodded and asked Lay to wait while she went to fetch the manager.

The two men stood awkwardly for a few moments before the stranger broke the silence. He spoke in Chinese this time.
“You are Chinese, aren’t you?” Kris gave a simple nod in response, but this didn’t seem to faze the stranger who wasn’t deterred at all by Kris’s stoic expression.

“Thank you for helping me back there. I’m new to Korea and I haven’t quite mastered the language.” He went on in Chinese and Kris was finally spared when the manager strolled into the reception area.

“Hi I’m Lee Soo Man, how can I help you?” The man asked, looking between the two gents.

Kris cleared his throat before speaking. “I was wondering if maybe you might have any vacancies at the moment.  Any vacancies, even if it’s just a cleaning job.” Kris really hated sounding this desperate, but he was on his last knees.

Lee Soo Man nodded. “Actually I do have a few positions available, especially for a face like that, you could increase business by, I’d say at least 6 per cent! Min! Hey Min bring out an application form and a contract would you?” He called to the busty receptionist who had also returned.  “If you look through these and submit an application I’d be glad to take you on.”

He left Kris to look through the papers before turning to the other man.

“How can I help you?” Soo Man asked.

“Uhm, I also want job vacancy.” The man said, looking nervous.

“Two in one night, and not half bad looking at all!” Soo Man spoke to no one in particular. “The forms are this way, head straight over here.”

He left the two men to fill out the forms for a few moments. Kris was halfway through his when he felt a presence by his side.

The man spoke in Chinese again. “Excuse me, I don’t suppose you could help me read the Korean could you?” He asked sheepishly.

Yet again Kris felt himself giving in, and he took the form from the stranger. “What’s your name?” He asked, pen poised at the name box.

“Zhang Yixing.” The stranger replied.

“Host name?” Kris asked.

“What’s that?” Yixing asked confused.

“It’s like a stage name, so the customers can’t find your real identity.” Kris explained.

“Oh, well then. Lay.”

After a few minutes the two of them had completed their forms and handed them in.

“Excellent.” Soo Man said. “You may move into the dorms upstairs once I have reviewed the paper work. Expect my call.” He waved them off, a large smile plastering his face.

Kris and Lay left at the same time, giving each other one last look before heading off in the direction of their own homes. Kris’s heart felt at ease, he wouldn’t have to live in his small lonely apartment anymore. And he would have a stable income.

If only he had read the small print.


My first chapter is done!!!! Please subscribe if you like and leave comments with what you think! Constructive criticism is welcome! There may be mistakes in this and I will proof read at a later date. Thank you for reading and I'll update as soon as possible.

-1990stalker-