Chapter 5

Identity Crisis

“You love me, right?

I had a very frightening and scary dream

You left me just like that, forever

It’s a dream where you can hear,

 But can’t form a coherent word

You won’t have the chance to lose me

Don’t do it even if we fall short of one second

No, I won’t let you go

I’ll take all the negligible things

You love me, right?” – VIXX ‘Eternity’

 

Baekhyun had a weird ability ever since he was young. He could tell the good days from the bad days and he could feel when something bad was going to happen. Baekhyun woke up in the morning with a bad feeling for the entire week. He knew that the week would be terrible and he was more than just scared, he was absolutely terrified, His skin was tingling with the bad vibe and his fear increased when there was knocking on the door. There shouldn’t be knocking, it was his day off. He got out of bed, wrapped himself up in his blanket and walked out to open the door. He froze as he recognized the person in the doorway.

“Hi, are you Byun Baekhyun?” the owl eyed boy in the doorway asked. Baekhun slowly nodded. “I’m Do Kyungsoo,” the boy held out his hand.

Oh, but I know who you are. I spent an entire year hearing your name being gushed into my ear. Baekhyun politely smiled and shook the boy’s hand.

“Uh, Kai sent me here…damn it, I mean Jongin, since you can’t possibly know the name Kai…” the boy rambled on nervously.

I know who Kai is. I gave him the name because he was obsessed with his mirror.

The owl eyed boy was still going on. He was speaking complete rubbish to Baekhyun’s ears and what was worse was, the neighbors were looking at Baekhyun funny because he was wrapped up in his ‘Supernatural’ blankets.

“What does Kai want?” Baekhyun snapped. Kyungsoo blinked in surprise.

“Kris found him.”

Baekhyun thought he would faint. All his hard work was gone. He had to see Chanyeol! He needed to. Just as Baekhyun was about to go into panic drive, Kyungsoo put his hand on Baekhyun’s with a comforting smile, one that warmed up Baekhyun. Baekhyun had not seen a smile like that directed at him since forever.

“But he said that he would not tell Kris anything important. Your secret is safe with him. And believe me, when Kai says something like that, he means it,”

Baekhyun was still dazed by the younger male’s smile.

“I should go. Just pretend like you don’t know Kris met Kai and you should be good!” Kyungsoo smiled at him once again. “I have to go now, I have choir!” Kyungsoo turned and practically bounced away. Baekhyun watched him go.

How foolishly young and naïve. I wish I was like him.

------o------

“Good afternoon Mr. Kim,” Kris greeted the younger boy curtly. Jongin looked like he wanted to run for his life. His eyes were darting to every corner of the police station as he sat there across from Kris. Kris took the seat opposite to him. Jongin looked at him with wide eyes while chewing his lip. “My name is Detective Wu Yi Fan. But please just call me Kris. It makes thing so much easier for me and you as well.” Kris smiled. Jongin however, looked more terrified of the smile than reassured. “I believe you know my best friend. His name is Byun Baekhyun and he works at-”

“Is Baekhyun hyung alright?” Jongin instantly interrupted.

“Excuse me?” Kris asked in surprise at the very nervous college student.

“Well, the last time I saw hyung, he fainted at the café he works at. I couldn’t do anything to contact him after that,” said Jongin with a pout.

“Baekhyun is fine,” Kris told the younger male.

“Oh, that’s a relief,” Jongin smiled brightly. “Is he eating well? He used to eat only Ramyun. I told hyung that the Ramyun would make him sick. But he never listened to me. He always thought, ‘why should a college student like me with no time listen to a little high school brat?’ because honestly, isn’t that how all the college kids act like? I mean, even I act that way now. Not about Ramyun of course, I eat three healthy meals a day because my boyfriend Kyungsoo keeps shoving food down my throat, his food is fantastic and food is good for a dancer anyways.” Jongin nodded.

Kris blinked at the kid.

“He is eating well because he has a boyfriend now,” Kris lied about the eating part just so that the kid wouldn’t start an entire tirade again.

“He has a boyfriend now? Really? Is it Park Chanyeol? He used to go on and on about Chanyeol hyung back then! I had to pay him back with going on and on about Kyungsoo. He hated it when I interrupted him speeches about Chanyeol’s eyelashes to talk about Kyungsoo’s lips. But the look on his face when I interrupted him was always totally worth it!” Jongin laughed.

“Yes, he is dating Park Chanyeol. First of all, how do you know-”

“He really is dating Chanyeol hyung? Wow! Baekhyun hyung finally got him. He used to keep pining away about how he would never get Chanyeol and about how Chanyeol’s ex-girlfriend Kim Ye Jin would keep chasing after Chanyeol. I still remember when Baekhyun hyung wailed about how Chanyeol didn’t know what he was doing to his heart by being so nice to him and-”

“Just who the hell are you?” Kris snapped, losing his calm.

Jongin flinched.

“I-I’m K-Kim Jongin, arts st-student at-” Jongin stammered.

“Not that kid. How do you know Baekhyun?” Kris sighed in annoyance.

“Baekhyun hyung tutored me for a year…” Jongin whispered, definitely subdued and scared of Kris once again.

“Why is Baekhyun scared of what you might say to me, or anyone he knows in fact?” Kris asked.

Jongin gaped at Kris.

“I don’t know…” he whispered.

“What do you know of Baekhyun’s incident three years ago?” Kris asked.

“Baekhyun hyung was ?” Jongin looked like he was about to throw up, or cry. One of the two. He looked up at Kris with the same scared gaze he had when he first saw Kris. “But he told me that his stalker-” Jongin’s eyes widened and he slapped his hands over his mouth. Kris raised his eyebrows and leaned forwards. Finally an interesting scrap of information fell from the brat’s mouth.

“Continue that sentence or I will charge you for withholding information from the police which is a crime as well,” said Kris threateningly.

“Baekhyun hyung said his stalker would never do something like that, he had too much at risk…that’s why he often asked me to walk him back home because he knew his stalker would never do anything to harm me…” Jongin whispered.

“You were the only one that knew he was being stalked during that time, Jongin. Do you realize what you have done? Because of you, Baekhyun got ! A man got murdered!” snapped Kris.

Jongin’s head snapped up to look at him. “A man got murdered?” Jongin gasped. Jongin started trembling. “I didn’t mean to…I swear I didn’t…I’m so sorry Detective Wu, I’m so sorry…”

“It’s alright, you can go,” said Kris, waving his hand at Jongin.

Jongin turned and fled the scary police station.

------o------

“How’d it go?”

“I don’t know, Soo, I should be given an acting award. The Detective completely fell for it.”

“Shut up! This is nothing to be proud of. You’re deceiving the police!”

“I had to do it for Baekhyun hyung. I owe him that much.”

“Yeah, and you landed in the hospital with a knife wound because of him.”

“Because of him I got you. I owe him for life. I wish I could do more for him.”

“You are such an idiot.”

“But you love me, don’t you?”

“Urgh…sometimes I wonder why I do…but anyways…who was his stalker?”

“Do Kyungsoo!”

“Yah! Can’t you tell me? It’s not like I’m going to open my mouth!”

“I can’t tell you something like this. It will ruin your pretty ears.”

“Omo, you cheesy brat. Come back here and I will kill you!”

------o------

“I may be smiling right now but I’m trying to hold it in

I’m strongly clutching my two hands

You’re being deceived when I’m saying that I’m OK

I’m shedding all my tears behind your back” – Boyfriend ‘Janus’

Baekhyun was dragged out of his apartment and into Kris’ new car which he had bought to impress Tao. Luhan and Chanyeol were already in the car. Luhan was fiddling with the radio system and informing Chanyeol that none of the new groups knew how to sing nowadays. That was until he stumbled upon Boyfriend’s ‘Janus’. He sat back and enjoyed the song while Baekhyun sat there uncomfortably while Chanyeol sat there stiffly. Luhan and Kris did not realize the song was affecting their two friends in the back seat and sang along with the song happily.

They arrived at a noraebang and Baekhyun instantly brightened. He hadn’t been to a noraebang since forever and he missed hanging out with Kris in one noraebang room till both of them were either too drunk or too tired to sing anymore. It brought back good memories. Chanyeol put his arm around Baekhyun’s waist and smiled down at him. Baekhyun chuckled softly and moved closer to Chanyeol, allowing his boyfriend to haul him to the noraebang room Kris rented out. It didn’t bother Kris that it was practically raining cats and dogs outside, he wanted to sing in a noraebang and no one would stop him. Which technically resulted in them all half drowned and cold. But they turned up the heater, so all would be well.

Kris chose and sang the first song. He sang Big Bang’s ‘Tonight’ and it was ridiculous, the way he pronounced the Korean words. Luhan, Baekhyun and Chanyeol ended up dying of laughter on the sofas because of how silly Kris was. Luhan picked up the mike next. He picked U-Kiss’ ‘0330’. Baekhyun and Chanyeol stared at him open mouthed in shock while Kris ordered more food and alcohol because: Whaddya know, the sharp tongued blonde had an amazing voice.

Baekhyun was sent up to sing. Baekhyun sorted through the songs till he picked Hyorin’s ‘I Choose To Love You’. Baekhyun put the mike to his lips. It had been a long time since Baekhyun had sung and all honesty, he was more than nervous about it. He started singing and everyone stared at him. Once he was done he quickly hurried to his seat, heart pounding in his chest, cheeks red in embarrassment. Chanyeol pulled him abruptly into a warm kiss.

“Byun Baekhyun…can I marry you?” Chanyeol asked.

Baekhyun turned even a deeper shade of red.

“Yah, Park Chanyeol…are you already drunk?” Baekhyun stammered. Chanyeol grinned at him and buried his face into Baekhyun shoulder. Baekhyun smiled and patted Chanyeol’s head. Chanyeol placed a gentle kiss to Baekhyun’s neck before he got up and went to the front for the mike. He flipped through the songs. He chose Hong Dae Kwang’s ‘You and I’. Chanyeol smiled at Baekhyun.

“Baekhyun ah, this one is for you,” he said, before he sang.

Sometimes Baekhyun would wonder how he managed to score such an amazing boyfriend as Park Chanyeol. Baekhyun remembered how he would sit there in class staring at him. New to the college environment, friendless and insecure, Baekhyun found himself attracted instantly to the good-looking, tall, nerdy and charming male that sat right next to him in more than one class. He never thought his little crush would be returned.

In no time, they were wasted and drunk. Luhan kept hiccupping and giggling. Baekhyun was curled up on Chanyeol’s lap and both of them were mindlessly kissing and whispering words of love to each other. The waiter entered with more food and drinks. Luhan stood up to help him and then tripped and fell into the waiter’s arms. Luhan looked up at the boy and giggled.

“Hey, you’re cute! What’s your name? Oh wait…your name tag says…Oh Sehun!” Luhan giggled drunkenly before passing out in the waiter’s arms.

Baekhyun heard Kris calling someone and broke away from Chanyeol to listen to Kris.

“Oh Zitao…” Kris mumbled.

“Hello? Yifan-ge?”

“Woaini…” Kris slurred his confession, making it sound all like one word.

“Yi-Yifan-ge?”

“Please take care of my Kris!” Baekhyun bowed towards the phone in a rather ridiculous manner.

------o------

Baekhyun woke up with the worst headache of the century. He woke up to Kris screaming his head off and shaking Luhan awake excitedly. Luhan was screaming and swearing in Chinese as he battled Kris off with a pillow. Chanyeol whined and clutched Baekhyun’s shirt harder while curling up against the smaller male. They were in Luhan’s apartment by the looks of it and Baekhyun and Chanyeol were on the sofa. Luhan seemed to be the only one that made it to the bed. Kris had been sleeping on the carpet. Kris kept screaming and Chanyeol whimpered. Baekhyun picked up one of the sofa pillows and threw it at Kris.

“Shut up Kris! Chanyeol is trying to sleep!” Baekhyun snapped.

Kris turned to Baekhyun, a full pout on his lips. Baekhyun cringed in disgust. What on earth had stoic Kris doing aegyo early in the morning? It made Baekhyun want to throw up. Baekhyun groaned and massaged his temples, trying to keep the damn headache at bay and Kris wasn’t even helping, in fact his smiled was worsening the headache in all ways possible. Chanyeol shifted and  wrapped his arms around Baekhyun, burying his face into his chest.

“I swear, he’s so cute! He’s like a cute koala bear!” Kris beamed.

OK, Kris was on drugs. Baekhyun was sure his best friend was on drugs. There was nothing else that could possibly-

“Tao accepted my confession!” Kris was in his face, smiling like a million watt light bulb. Oh and besides drugs, there was that. It hurt to look at his smile. It was sickening that it was the first thing that Baekhyun and Luhan had to see early in the morning. It was another story if Chanyeol smiled at him like that. If it was Chanyeol it was just plain adorable. When Kris smiled like that, it was borderline psychopathic. It scared the out of Baekhyun.

“Oh my god, get out of my face. I feel like vomiting on you,” Baekhyun snapped, shoving Kris’ face away. “Go fix me tea. You do have tea, right?” Baekhyun looked at Luhan.

“First, top closet,” Luhan mumbled from his bed. “get me a tea as well, especially since you look like you could cure the ing mutants from X-Men, heaven knows I need to see a doctor for my cramps, I’m aging too fast,” Luhan continued rambling as Baekhyun looked down at Chanyeol who was snuggled against him. Baekhyun smiled and kissed his forehead, smoothing out the wrinkle in between his eyebrows. Chanyeol relaxed in Baekhyun’s embrace as the brunette gently massaged his shoulders.

“I love you so much, Yeollie, I wish you knew how much.” Baekhyun whispered.

Chanyeol continued sleeping.

“I would kill myself for you, so please, Yeollie, please don’t leave me because I’m inadequate. I just want to see you smile all the time and I can’t even do that for you. But I can’t help it, I’m trying so hard…so hard…” Baekhyun kissed Chanyeol’s lips. “Just wait a little longer and I will take care of you,”

“You’re muttering to yourself, or you’re talking to a sleeping Chanyeol, I can’t tell which one makes you more insane,” Luhan said from his bed.

“I’m glad you acknowledged my insanity, it makes me feel so much better,” Baekhyun sarcastically shot back. Luhan burst out laughing before clutching his head and whining about dumb alcohol. It was his fault he drank so much. Baekhyun watched Chanyeol’s sleeping face for a little more before Kris was back, the freaky smile still on his face.

“Here’s your tea, Baekkie!” Kris almost sang out.

“I want to kill you,” Baekhyun muttered, taking the tea.

“I want to kiss you!” Kris giggled.

“I’m throwing the freak out!” Luhan shot out of his bed and ran at Kris, looking like a crazed zombie.

------o------

Baekhyun wrapped up the muffin and handed it to the man at the front with a bright smile.

“Here you go, sir. Have a good day!”

The next customer asked for hot chocolate. Baekhyun left Luhan to the counter and then left to the back. No one had asked for Hot Chocolate in a while and so he had to fetch stuff from the back. Before Baekhyun had even made it to the door, Luhan grabbed his wrist and dragged him to the storage room, a hysterical look on his face.

“Oh God! Baekhyun, what do I do?” Luhan wailed.

“What happened, Luhan? Are you OK?” Baekhyun asked in concern. Luhan put a finger to his lips and then pulled Baekhyun to the door. Luhan cracked it open slightly so that they could see the faces of the customers. Luhan turned to look at Baekhyun.

“Is that the guy that ordered the Hot Chocolate?” Luhan whispered.

“Yeah…”

Luhan shut the door.

“He’s the kid from the noraebang! I’m dead, Baek! I acted like an idiot in front of him and I passed out on him! How am I supposed to face him?” Luhan cried. Baekhyun burst out laughing and almost fell over. He clutched his stomach as the pains from laughing too much kicked in.

“Go out there right now, Xi Luhan, and pretend that you don’t know him. Show him a different you to redeem yourself,” said Baekhyun.

“Should I?” Luhan asked with bright eyes.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“Do you want me to go out and flirt with him?” Baekhyun snapped at Luhan.

“Right, going out,”

“Tell him that we’re out of Hot Chocolate and ask him if he’d like anything else,” said Baekhyun, pushing Luhan out of the storage room. Baekhyun followed Luhan out and stood at the drinks section. Luhan smiled at the younger kid.

“I’m sorry. We’re all out of Hot Chocolate. Would you like anything else?” Luhan asked.

The kid gaped at Luhan.

Luhan blinked expectantly at the younger boy.

“Y-you…” the boy stammered.

“Yes?” Luhan asked.

“He would like a chocolate frappe,” the bronze haired boy behind him said impatiently. The kid still gaped at Luhan. “And I would like a kiwi lemonade.” The bronze haired male whacked the boy’s head. “What the hell are you staring at, Sehun?”

“One chocolate frappe and one kiwi lemonade coming right up,” Luhan smiled once again and Sehun was dragged away by his bronze haired friend. Luhan breathed a sigh of relief and Baekhyun sent him a thumbs up before Luhan smiled at the next customer and took their order. Baekhyun went to Sehun’s table with the order.

“Excuse me,” Sehun cut in as Baekhyun started to walk away.

“Yes?” Baekhyun smiled.

“You guys were at the noraebang two nights ago, right?” Sehun asked. Baekhyun just sent him an amused smile before walking away. Baekhyun walked back to the counter and looked at Luhan with a grin.

“He has an acute memory of you,”

Closing time and Kris and Chanyeol found themselves at the café, sipping their favorite drinks. Chanyeol propped his elbows against the counter and watched Baekhyun clean up with a faint smile on his face. Kris nudged Chanyeol with his knee and the happy virus turned to Kris with a questioning look in his eyes. Kris and Chanyeol were not ones to talk much. They knew each other through Baekhyun. They weren’t close as in ‘friendship bracelets and braiding hair’ close but more like ‘acquaintances with a common interest’ close. They weren’t like Luhan and Baekhyun. They in fact never had a serious conversation with just the two of them before. Sure Kris talked to Chanyeol after the incident for the investigation, but they never really talked.

“What are you looking at?” Kris asked.

“Baekhyun…” Chanyeol hummed with a smile.

“Why?”

“Because…” Chanyeol trailed off, eyes settling on Baekhyun who was scrubbing a table, with a frown on his face. “He’s just so beautiful…he shines like the sun, you know.” Chanyeol sipped his drink. “I’m so lucky to have someone like him. I used to stare at him in class all the time thinking I had no chance with him. Now look where I am,”

Kris smiled.

“You really love him, don’t you?” Kris asked.

“Of course, I love him with all my heart,” Chanyeol answered. Kris thoughtfully swirled his drink in his cup.

“Do you play ‘Left 4 Dead 2?” Kris asked. Chanyeol looked at him with wide eyes.

“I love that game,” Chanyeol stated solemnly. Kris grinned.

“Want to come over to my place sometime and play with me?” Kris invited Chanyeol casually. Chanyeol grinned at Kris. For the first time since Kris had met Chanyeol, he decided that maybe Chanyeol’s smile wasn’t that creepy after all. Chanyeol nodded. Maybe they could become friends.

Luhan came out of the back and turned to Kris.

“Yah! Where’s the grocery list that I sent you?” Luhan snapped.

“Here,” said Kris putting the bag on the counter.

Baekhyun chuckled as Luhan grabbed Kris’ hair and started yelling something about not telling him beforehand was the worst thing that Kris could do to him. Kris ran around the café with Luhan on his heels. Suddenly Baekhyun heard a footstep to his right. Oh Sehun had just stepped out of the bathroom and was staring at Luhan. Baekhyun’s eyes widened in shock.

“You! Were you hiding in the bathroom all this time?” Baekhyun shouted.

Luhan turned, spotted Sehun, let out an unmanly shriek and fell over, face forwards. Sehun hurried over to Luhan’s side and pulled him up. Luhan stared at the younger boy with wide eyes, face turning red as he realized that the kid’s arms were around his waist. Luhan quickly pushed Sehun away.

“Yah! W-what are y-you doing? My cafe is closed!” Luhan stammered.

“Oh Sehun,” said Sehun bowing to Luhan.

“Eh?”

“I’m Oh Sehun,” Sehun straightened up.

“Uh…Xi Luhan…” said Luhan slowly.

“Can I take you out?” Sehun asked. Chanyeol fell off his seat, Baekhyun’s jaw dropped and Kris stared at Sehun like he was an alien. Luhan gaped at Sehun in shock.

“Excuse me?” Luhan asked.

“I would like to take you out if that’s OK with you,” said Sehun.

“Let’s not talk here!” Luhan said quickly, grabbing Sehun’s arm and dragging him out of the café.

“That kid is asking for the devil,” said Kris.

------o------

Baekhyun ran once again, crying, this time it wasn’t raining though. It was nearing eleven thirty in the night. He ran to Kris’ house once again but stopped outside. The door was bolted and locked from the outside. Baekhyun needed help. He needed someone to cry all over. This time, Baekhyun’s lip was split and a purple bruise was forming on his jaw. He ran towards Luhan’s house to discover Luhan was out as well. Heart slamming in his chest, he ran to his apartment, knowing that he would never show his state of brokenness to Chanyeol. He would never show Chanyeol just how hurt he was. He ran to his apartment and froze as he saw Chanyeol standing outside his door, hand ready to ring the doorbell.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol’s eyes met. The door was opened and Chanyeol gently pulled Baekhyun inside, kissing him sweetly and tenderly, tears mixing with love as Chanyeol cried as well. Treating Baekhyun like a china doll, Chanyeol gently pushed him down onto the mattress. Every mark that was created by the man that abused Baekhyun was replaced by two marks of love created by Chanyeol. It was there Baekhyun lost himself and cried in Chanyeol’s arms, cried and let Chanyeol love him completely and wholly, as broken and lost as both of them were. For the first time since Chanyeol and Baekhyun met, Chanyeol made love to Baekhyun.

------o------

Baekhyun hummed to himself happily. Everything was perfect. Kris and Tao were finally dating, Luhan finally found someone that he really couldn’t bully and Baekhyun and Chanyeol were in a very happy stage in their relationship. Baekhyun had just seen Chanyeol two hours ago and he already missed him. It was late and the majority of Seoul was already asleep. Baekhyun was just getting ready to sleep as well. He bounced onto his bed and picked up his phone. He gasped in surprise as he realized that thirty minutes ago, Chanyeol had sent him a text.

I miss you already. Tomorrow I won’t be able to see you because I’m going to Busan.

Baekhyun giggled and texted him back.

Then why don’t you come over and we can sleep together?

Baekhyun dozed off and about fifteen minutes the doorbell rang. Baekhyun sat up. No way, Chanyeol actually came? Beaming, Baekhyun ran to the door and threw it open.

“Baekhyun,” the low and thick voice said.

Baekhyun’s smile faded. Before he could slam the door shut, his wrists were grabbed, a cloth was stuffed into his mouth and he was thrown over the male’s shoulder, struggling and kicking wildly. It was useless of course, no one in his apartment complex was awake anyways, and it wasn’t like Baekhyun wanted them to wake up, he wanted them all to stay asleep. Baekhyun was carried down the stairs and shoved into the backseat of an old, broke-down car.

“Goodnight Princess,”

Baekhyun’s world became darkness.

 “I had a very frightening and scary dream

We started everything together, from the beginning

Everything is still when you’re not here

You leaving me is a momentary dream

I’m in search of the ruthless night which knows no end

Again, I close my eyes. And again, I delve into that dream

To the dream that I would not awaken from, for eternity” – VIXX ‘Eternity’

 

------o------


A/N - and the second last chapter is up!! Are you guys excited? I definitely am! School starts again tomorrow...meh...oh well! I bet you all are very curious about what is going on. But I won't tell you of course. You will have to wait till the next chapter! Love all of you, my faithfull subbies! Oh, but I really would like it if you guys commented. Once again here is Chen and before you ask, yes, I am obsessed with the EXO-M vocalist.

Comment and Subscribe!

Kaeppsong~