When love is not enough

The Secret Life of Jessica Jung

Jessica ran toward the two men who just kicked her wife into the river. Yoona was injured when she was hit by the chair. Being in the water and bleeding out isn't a nice thing. Yoona can be in danger of blood lost and if she isn't conscious she might drown. Jessica would have called for help via her transmitter that was currently in the watch she's wearing but it's currently malfunctioning when Jessica hit the wall. The watch had an impact against the floor and the wall.

 

Jessica jumped against a pillar, kicking herself in another direction, giving Tae Kyung a big kick across his head. He was rendered temporarily weak for his ears were ringing and his eyes unfocusing.

 

Jessica seethed with anger at the tall man who just kicked her wife out the window. Payback is gonna come for him, twice of what he did.

 

He avoided a swing of fist Jessica gave him and grabbed her outstretched arm instead, throwing her over his shoulders. Jessica quickly rolled back the moment she hit the floor. She can't afford any pauses because she's outnumbered and definitely overpowered. Any opening can cost her delay saving Yoona. No, she can't let that happen. Jessica need to finish this immediately.

 

Seeing Tae Kyung trying to get up from her earlier hit, Jessica quickly ran to him, jumping up and trapping his head between her legs, and swinging her body down until she flipped him over. She landed on one knee, glaring venomously at the tall man. Tae Kyung writhed in pain, his back landing badly on the floor.

 

"I've had enough of you es!" The tall guy screamed, running for Jessica.

 

Jessica started running towards him as well until she slid between his legs the last minute. She kneed him on the back once she got her footing, followed by an elbow to his head.

 

"!" He grunted, swinging a furious arm backwards but Jessica leaped away.

 

Running towards him again, she gave him two kicks in the air but he blocked it with his hands twice. When Jessica landed, he kicked her away causing her to slide backwards, her shoes leaving impressions on the dusty floor as she tried to stop the impact.

 

She glanced to her right, noticing her gun lying a few meters away from her. He noticed the gun too. Both ran to pick the gun and just when he was about to get it, Jesica kicked his hands away. He didn't let her go near the gun though, swiping her feet with his leg. Jessica fell on the ground hard but she quickly slid the gun away with her foot.

 

When she got up, she realized both of them are now up albeit Tae Kyung still wincing in pain. A fist came her way so Jessica ducked down to avoid it but Tae Kyung waited for her with a kick. Jessica avoided the kick by splitting her legs, bending her chest so that it is touching her knee. Good thing she is flexible as because splitting is definitely not the forte of others. They would have screamed in pain by now.

 

Collecting herself up, Jessica flooded Tae kyung with a barrage of punches but he kept on blocking it with his arms. When the other guy tried to come closer Jessica struck him with her foot on the face, bringing her heel down his head for the second hit. She jumped and attacked Tae Kyung with two consecutive kicks while in the air on his chest. He staggered backwards, his back hitting the wall painfully.

 

Jessica ran to the other guy who was kneeling down. He was still trying to shake off the attack he received earlier. His ears are ringing. Grabbing the handcuff at her back pocket, Jessica kicked him on the stomach. When he tried to swing a punch one more time however, Jessica was waiting for his wrist with the handcuffs.

 

Click.

 

He frowned when his left wrist got cuffed. He tried to pull his arm away but Jessica knew better. She twisted his arm behind his back, pressing both of her knees on the small of his back. She tried to cuff his other hand but Tae Kyung finally recovered and helped his partner by grabbing Jessica's hair and pants, tossing her away.

 

Jessica winced in pain. "You did not just touch my hair." She gritted her teeth.

 

With the other dude bending on all fours while getting up, she ran and used him as a pedestal in order to give Tae Kyung her right knee on his nose. He staggered backwards, clutching his nose that is now bleeding.

 

Jessica didn't stop there though. With her elbow, she hit his chin, resulting to him throwing his head back. At that opening, she kneed his prized possession until he was left kneeling and clutching his crotch. Jessica finished him with a kick to his neck. He was left lying cold on the ground. She quickly pulled out another piece of handcuffs, cuffing the hands still clutching his crotch.

 

She turned to the other dude who has finally gotten up athough he was standing funnily. "You es are really hard to deal with." Reaching inside his pocket, he pulled out his swiss knife.  "Come here, you ! I'll slit your throat."

 

Jessica eyed him warily. If he was supposed to intimidate her then he is doing it wrong. He quickly swung his knife, surprising Jessica but she has managed to dodge it. However he has managed to get a little bit of her arm. A small slash started to bleed but it was something Jessica could manage. He was using his right hand to strike because his left hand would be slow because of the handcuff. However he used that for his advantage. He also swung his other hand, the metal cuff barely touching Jessica's face.

 

He smirked at her. Once Jessica regained her footing, he kicked her to the chest so she was sent flying a few feet away. His maniac laugh filled the room. Now he had the upper hand.

 

Jessica rubbed her chest. She was thinking how she could take the knife out of his hands. She had to fight him with barehands-

 

Glancing behind her, she spots her gun waiting on the floor. She rolled backwards, getting a hold of her gun. She pointed it at him, gritting her teeth.

 

"Hands in the air!" She shouted. "Or else I won't hesitate to shoot!"

 

But he merely smirked at her. "Can you even do it?"

 

Jessica gave him a mocking smirk in return. "Why not? You owe me big time. Kicking my wife out that window was a bad move."

 

His smile faltered, replacing it with a disgruntled look.

"Argh!" He threw his knife at Jessica who dodged it easily.

 

The attack warranted a retaliation. Truthfully Jessica would not have pulled the trigger because he wasn't doing anything. She badly wanted to after what he did to Yoona but Seohyun's words echoed in her head. Jessica couldn't break protocol.

 

Bang!

 

Jessica pulled the trigger, aiming it at his leg. He finally got down the floor, writhing in pain. The shot was done in self-defense. It was a retaliation for a dangerous attack.

 

"That's for breaking a chair on my wife's head." She stood tall over him, glaring at him menacingly. "I beat you enough for that kick you gave her."

 

She twisted his right arm, forcing his wrist to finally enter the handcuff that was already around his other wrist.

 

"I have a lot of questions for you but that can wait." She said. She tapped her watch repeatedly, bringing it back to life after a short malfunction earlier. She pressed her watch that also served as a radio. "This is agent Jung. I got two men down here at the third floor, one is bleeding due to GSW. I need a medic here. Also we need medics near the river, Yoona fell and she's bleeding. I'm coming to save her."

 

Jessica tucked her gun back in her holster, glaring at the two men on the floor. She ignored the tall man's whimpers. She injured him in a way that he will have a hard time getting up much more walking.

 

Jessica walked over the broken window to look over the river. It was dark underwater so searching for Yoona will be difficult. She fiddled with her watch. She pressed the button on the side and light projected from the inside. She got to admire this new device from the tech lab. It was Kyungsoo's creation.

 

Without any hesitation, Jessica jumped out into the water. The river was cold but it was not the time to complain. She needed to find her Yoona as soon as possible.

 

Going deeper into the river, Jessica swung the light around to find Yoona. Her wife can swim, there is no doubt about that. The question would be if she is conscious enough to swim and save herself. Yoona was hit by a chair and she was bleeding profusely when she fell out the window. There is a seven minute rule when it comes to drowning. Jessica noted that is has been five minutes and forty one seconds since Yoona fell down the window. She now has a little over a minute left before Yoona gets cardiac arrest.

 

Pointing the light east, she noticed bubbles coming from that direction. She swam her way in that direction to finally see her wife Yoona who has her hands up, sinking slowly down the river. There was almost no bubbles coming out her nose or mouth. She wasn't moving and definitely she wasn't breathing. She was unconcsious and slowly losing life.

 

Jessica scooped Yoona in her arms and as much as her remaining energy could muster kicked their way up the surface.

 

"Ack!" Jessica spit the water once they emerged on the surface. There was a spotlight that quickly lighted their position so Jessica swam to the shore with Yoona in her tow.

 

Once she reached the cemented platform, Jessica laid Yoona on the ground. Seohyun, Tiffany and Yuri ran to her side. They just finished the mission in the building and let Minho and Siwon supervise taking the bodies and the injured men to the HQ.

 

"Yoona!" Jessica called, tapping Yoona's face for any response but there was none.

 

"We need medics!" Seohyun shouted. "ASAP!"

 

"Yoona!" Jessica cleared Yoona's airway by lifting her head. Opening Yoona's mouth, Jessica started blowing air into her system. Pull away inhaling, press her lips against Yoona exhaling. Jessica repeated that five times before placing her hands on top Yoona's chest.

 

Clasping her left hand over with her right, Jessica straightened her arms and started pumping Yoona's chest. She was doing CPR repeatedly to bring her wife back to life. She kept pumping until ten counts before breathing air into Yoona once again. She repeated those actions over and over that her eyes started to tear up.

 

"Baby, you have to wake up!" She pounded on Yoona's chest in frustration before resuming pumping her chest. "Come on, Yoona! You can't leave me!"

 

Tiffany, Yuri and Seohyun watched hopelessly as Jessica desperately tried to bring Yoona back to life. They badly wanted to help Jessica but there was nothing they could do. It's not like they can bring Yoona back to life. They can only hope that Yoona stay strong and hold on.

 

"You can't leave me, baby!" Jessica shouted with overflowing emotions. "I still owe you the truth. I'll tell you everything, I'll repent for my lies my entire life. Just please, please, come back to me!"

 

Jessica was crying now but she didn't stop pumping Yoona's chest. Then she once again blew air into Yoona's mouth. It was then when Yoona coughed out loud.

 

Ah-huk. Ah-huk.

 

"Oh god!" Jessica cupped Yoona's face, instantly relieved that Yoona is finally breathing. She didn't open her eyes though, she's probably barely conscious. Her brain just suffered from lack of oxygen so she's definitely out cold and also she's still losing blood.

 

"Medivac's here!"

 

Two medics arrived. One held the stretcher while the other one rushed over to Yoona's side. He brought out a small flashlight and opened Yoona's eyelids.

 

"She's out cold." Then he noticed the blood on her head. "She's bleeding. She's also having a hard time breathing." He faced his partner. "Prepare a blood bag and ready the oxygen tank."

 

His partner quickly ran to the van to follow his instructions. He scooped Yoona up with his arms, putting him on the stretcher. Jessica and the others helped him in rolling the stretcher all the way to the van. He was about to shut the van closed but Jessica held it open.

 

"I'm coming with my wife." She said and from her tone it wasn't debatable.

 

He nodded and let her in.

 

"We'll meet you at the hospital." Yuri told Jessica before the door was shut.

 

Jessica sat by Yoona's side, holding her hand tenderly. She watched the medics put oxygen mask on her wife's mouth as well as insert a needle on her other arm to begin blood transfusion.

 

"Good thing you have managed to save her before the golden time was up." One of the medics said. "She was nearly close to having a cardiac arrest. Her brain didn't have any oxygen flow for more than five minutes."

 

Jessica could only look at Yoona bitterly. If only she finished her brawl in a shorter time she might had no trouble reviving Yoona. Jessica should have focused in getting her gun back to quickly end the fight but her anger towards those two men drove her to make them miserable by hurting and injuring them.

 

She was so scared because she didn't know whether Yoona will go back to life or not. She prayed, definitely, but when she did the CPR repeatedly without any response from Yoona, Jessica wasn't prepared to hear any of her friends telling her that it's over now, that Yoona's already dead.  For a moment there, Jessica considered, had Yoona didn't stir to life, pulling the trigger of her own gun against her skull. She'd rather die with Yoona rather than deal with the misery of losing the love of her life, her everything.

 

Kissing the back of Yoona's hand, a lone tear fell on the corner of her eye. Jessica was damn grateful to the heavens for letting her Yoona stay with her.

 

"I love you so much, baby." She whispered against Yoona's hand. "I promise. I'll tell you everything. I'll be honest from now on so stay with me alright? Don't ever leave me." She pleaded.

 

Her thumb rubbed against Yoona's cold skin. It terrified her when it crossed her mind that if Yoona didn't wake she'll be holding a cold dead body right now instead.

 

"I won't leave you, Yoongie. I'll stay here. I promise." She continued, planting a kiss on the back of Yoona's hand once again.

 

 

****

 

 

It has been a three days since Yoona was admitted in a hospital. She has not regained consciousness yet but according to the doctors, it is normal because Yoona is drained mentally, physically and emotionally. Her body and brain are still recovering especially since her brain wasn't able to properly receive oxygen. Now her vitals looked good and the wound caused by the wooden chair has been stitched.

 

Jessica didn't leave Yoona like she promised for the past three days. She lied to Yoona countless of times already but Jessica meant what she said that night. She won't lie anymore. Her cover life which were all made up of lies already did enough damage to her wife Yoona.

 

As much as Jessica want to tell Yoona she's no longer an agent when she wakes up, Seohyun is currently busy dealing with the casualties, injuries and arresting those people who were part of Yoona's list. She's got her hands full so she couldn't exactly approve of Jessica's resignation. Jessica understood though. Seohyun would have definitely approved it if Jessica's mission in Thailand went smoothly but unfortunately Yoona's disappearance happened.

 

The media somehow found out Yoona has been rescued but has sustained an injury. Since the moment Yoona underwent surgery until this time the media are camping outside the hospital waiting for any news. Tiffany and Yuri were once asked regarding Yoona since the two were known publicly as lawyers and Yoona's wife Jessica's friends. Of course they didn't answer any questions regarding Yoona because that wasn't their story to tell. Jessica pleaded to keep silent for now because she didn't want to put Yoona in any difficult situation.

 

CIA agents are outside the hospital and Yoona's room. They were all currently covering as police officers. They couldn't say they are from the CIA. It is supposed to be a shadow intelligence organization unlike the Interpol, FBI or DIS.

 

"Look at this." said Taeyeon the moment she got close to the hospital's entrance. "The reporters are everywhere."

 

"There will be three new addition to the campers." Sooyoung joked but Sunny could only pat her on her shoulder.

 

"Well if you two are interested, you both can camp here while I go in and visit Yoona." She coolly pushed her shades up. She started walking towards the entrance, ignoring Taeyeon and Sooyoung's calls.

 

"Miss Lee!" A reporter shouted, bolting from his position over to Sunny's. She remember him as Do Jin Hoo from STS news. "Are you here to visit Yoona-ssi?"

 

In no time the other reporters followed his direction and flocked around Sunny, Sooyoung and Taeyeon.

 

"Yes, we are here not as reporters but as Yoona's friends." She answered, walking through the crowd and ignoring other questions.

 

"Is she okay now?"

 

"Who saved her?"

 

"Is she now awake?"

 

"How did she sustain her injuries?"

 

Sunny held a hand up, passing through the crowd as she kept her silence. Before she can pass through the entrance however, two guards blocked her path.

 

"Lawyer Jessica Park is expecting us." She lifted her shades and eyed one of the guards own sunglasses. The guards' glasses were equipped with retinal scanners. Only the people who is within the system's list of allowed visitors are allowed to enter.

 

Former Head Tactician: Lee Sunkyu. Allow Entry.

 

The two guards parted and let her pass but they blocked Taeyeon and Sooyoung's path.

 

"Hey! Let us in!" Sooyoung protested.

 

Sunny tapped them on the shoulder. "That's my wife." She pointed at Taeyeon. "And the other one is our friend. They're with me."

 

The two guards nodded, bowing thrice at Sunny in a ninety degree manner. The polite gesture didn't go unnoticed by Taeyeon though. How come they act so respectful to Sunny when they act so tough to them? It's like hoobaes afraid of a sunbae.

 

The three of them walked down the hospital corridor going to the east wing. When they saw four men in black suits standing in front of a door, they knew they have already reached Yoona's room.

 

"Did Jessica hire some men to guard Yoona?" Sooyoung asked Taeyeon in  a whisper.

 

"I don't know but since there is an issue with the chief of Seoul police department, the SPD's efficiency is being questioned. I guess Jessica is just making sure the people guarding Yoona aren't connected with the authorities." Taeyeon reasoned.

 

Sunny stood in front of the guards. "We need to speak with Jessica privately."

 

Nodding, the four of them split into two. The first two guarded the right side of the hallway and the other two the left side. Sunny handed her bag to Taeyeon.

 

"Please hold it for me, baby. It's going to be bad."

 

"Bad? What do you mean-"

 

The moment Sunny entered through the door she dodge the kick that for sure would leave her unconscious. Thank goodness being a tactician taught her to anticipate things like this or to be specific an attack from a furious friend.

 

"Woah! The Jessica? You could have hit my wife!" Taeyeon was about to walk to Jessica and confront her but Sunny blocked her with an arm. "But she almost hit you Sunny!"

 

"I was going to hit her but unfortunately she dodged." Jessica answered back. "You just freaking broadcasted a report without telling me, !"

 

Pushing Taeyeon away with her arm, Sunny blocked Jessica's fist with her hands. She ed her fingers forward, aiming for Jessica's neck but she jumped back. Sunny didn't have any thoughts in attacking Jessica though. In her head, she was more focused in defending herself against Jessica's attacks. After all, she knew she pissed the girl when she put Yoona's report for broadcast without telling Jessica.

 

Taeyeon and Sooyoung watched in confusion as Jessica continued attacking Sunny who kept on blocking and dodging those attempts.

 

"I know I was wrong but the thing is..." Sunny grabbed Jessica's on coming fist and twisted it to prevent her from attacking. "Yoona would still be safe even if I report it because they weren't after her. They were after you."

 

"Urgh!" Jessica broke free from Sunny's grip by throwing her head back, hitting Sunny on the forehead.

 

"What the Jessica?!" Sunny exclaimed, looking so pissed.

 

"Stop defending and attack me." Jessica said before raising her knee, hitting Sunny square on the stomach.

 

"Bunny!" Taeyeon screamed but Sunny put a hand up, telling her to stay out of it.

 

"I won't back down, you ." Sunny gritted her teeth.

 

They both run towards the other. Sunny ducked down to avoid another kick. She swiped Jessica by the foot with her leg. Since Jessica had her other leg in the air, she lost her balance and hit the floor. Sunny quickly got on top of her, punching her twice in the face. She then grabbed Jessica's shirt by the collar.

 

"Get your head straight, Jessica! You really want to fight inside your wife's ward?!" She shook Jessica to emphasize her point.

 

Jessica pushed her away. She backed away a few meters awar from Sunny, glaring menacingly at her.

 

"What the just happened?" Sooyoung asked looking so bewildered. When Taeyeon went to Sunny to hold her up, Sooyoung went to Jessica instead. It's not that she's on Jessica's side. She just wanted to help her friend stand up especially since her lower lip got a cut from Sunny's punches. Or wait, Sooyoung is contemplating whether that cut was present since the very start and just opened again when Sunny threw those punches.

 

"Jessica's out for revenge." Sunny answered, dusting her clothes calmly.

 

"Revenge? It's not like it's your fault what happened to Yoona." Taeyeon said looking incredulously at Jessica.

 

"No, not that." Sunny shook her head. "She got her cover compromised so she's compromising mine as payback for that broadcast, which I admit was a stupid move." She admitted truthfully. "I made a stupid decision, Jessica, and that might have cost Yoona her life. I'm sorry. I really am."

 

"What if Yoona didn't make it alive then? What would your sorry do, Sunny?!" Jessica exploded, releasing the pent up anger within her.

 

Sunny didn't say anything though. She took Jessica's anger calmly. Seohyun called her and explained Jessica's situation. She was anxious all the time, jittery and angry of what happened to Yoona. She wasn't talking to anybody, she never left Yoona's side, she doesn't get that much sleep because she only get nightmares of Yoona's momentary death, she doesn't get to eat that much unless you personally visit her and remind her to eat. Yoona's state has rendered her in complete distress. They couldn't blame her though when Jessica almost lost her wife. It can really drive one insane.

 

"Then I'll live my life forever repenting for what I did." Sunny answered, approaching Jessica slowly. "I'm really sorry Jessica. I won't make any excuses and I'll understand if you can't forgive me-"

 

Finally breaking down, Jessica grabbed Sunny for a tight hug. Sunny rubbed Jessica's back soothingly, trying her best to comfort her friend.

 

"I was so scared, Sunny." Jessica sobbed. "I knew it was nobody's fault but mine. Being married to Yoona has put her in danger."

 

Sunny just stood there, rubbing Jessica's back in comfort. When she finally calmed down, Sunny made her sit on a chair beside Yoona.

 

"Okay. Since both of you has calmed down it's time to answer some questions because I'm lost." Sooyoung finally spoke, looking so confused. "What cover?"

 

Jessica looked at Sunny warily. She does feel bad she had to engage Sunny in a fight in front of Taeyeon and Sooyoung. Honestly speaking, now she thinks she's an idiot for exposing Sunny's cover, but Jessica was just so mad at Sunny. Now that the anger has subsided thanks to that hand to hand combat, it suddenly dawned into her that exposing Sunny's cover doesn't make everything even. Yoona is still unconscious and now Taeyeon is probably devastated.

 

"I'm a former CIA agent, Sooyoung." Sunny finally admitted after taking a deep breathe. She faced Taeyeon with a sullen expression. "I was the head tactician, the one in-charge of every mission and formulating every plan and contingencies."

 

Sooyoung pursed her lips into a thin line, preventing herself from muttering any comment. She isn't supposed to be the first one to talk to Sunny regarding this because that's Taeyeon line. It's an issue between the two of them. After all, they are a married couple. Sooyoung wondered if after today that marriage is still intact.

 

Taeyeon, however, remained silent. Her face was unreadable. Sunny expected her to be furious now or even lost, confused, but her face showed no emotion. She was quiet, sending Sunny in a fit of panic.

 

"Baby-" Sunny started but Taeyeon's words stopped her.

 

"I-" Taeyeon began. She darted her gaze around the tiled floor before bringing it up to Sunny eyes. "I sort of know that already."

 

Sunny looked shocked, even Jessica. They were dumbfounded as too how that is possible given the cover was solid. Had Taeyeon investigated Sunny's background? Had she saw any classified messages on Sunny's phone while they were still dating? If not, how was it possible that Taeyeon knew?

 

"You knew?" asked Sunny, sounding so surprised.

 

Taeyeon sat down the couch. Sunny doesn't know what Taeyeon's feeling bacause her expression was still unreadable but she was sure her wife's overwhelmed terribly.

 

"I- You sort of blurted it out a few weeks before our wedding." Taeyeon continued.

 

"Oh, I didn't blow it." Jessica muttered, her late guilt for the physical show earlier eating her up now that she's calm down. It was an irrational move but not unreasonable.

 

"I blurted it? You mean implied?" Sunny asked even further.

 

Sooyoung stood against the wall, arms folded and mouth shut. She swore to be good. No snide comments or any comment that could be the trigger in a probable pending break-up for that matter.

 

"You were drunk." Taeyeon added, recalling the memory. "I guess you were guilty with that huge secret. It bothered you to keep it from me especially with our wedding a few days away."

 

Sunny gaped in surprised. She doesn't remember that happened. And so Taeyeon did the liberty of reminding her as she recounted the story.

 

Bam. Bam. Bam.

 

It wasn't a knock on her door but rather hard hits cause by the palm of a hand. Taeyeon temporarily halted typing her report for tomorrow's show to answer the door. To her surprise, she spotted her soon-to-be-wife Sunny drunkenly standing outside. As far as she remembers, Sunny asked permission to go to a night out with her friends- Jessica, Seohyun, Tiffany and Yuri. When she checked the time, it was only half past nine in the evening. Taeyeon actually thought Sunny will be staying out late. She thought Sunny would want to spend more time with her friends as much as possible before their wedding in three weeks.

 

Taeyeon was really surprised when she found out about a month ago that Sunny quit the firm, even more when Sunny announced she applied for a position at TBS station. She didn't want to make a big deal out of the issue though. She knew Sunny is old enough to make her own decisions and one of the things she decided is to work alongside her future wife Taeyeon.

 

"Baby." Taeyeon caught her drunk fiancee who almost fell and hit her forehead on the door. "You've had a lot to drink."

 

Sunny could only giggle pitchly. She trapped Taeyeon face with her hands, pressing it together until Taeyeon's lips protruded. "How is my cutie Taengoo? Dwid you mith me?"

 

Taeyeon's smooth forehead creased at the sudden display of aegyo. She always knew Sunny can handle alcohol well but to see her so intoxicated that she barely can stand nor speak properly surprised her. Not that Taeyeon wasn't used to her fiancee's aegyo. She just wasn't used to see her damn right intoxicated.

 

"I did miss you, Sunny." Taeyeon admitted though she was sure Sunny wouldn't remember anything by tomorrow.

 

"Taengoo-ah." Sunny pecked her lips, giggling excitedly.

 

Taeyeon led Sunny to her room. She wanted her to rest now given the fact she's probably tired after hanging out with her friends and drunk.

 

Taeyeon bent down at the foot of the bed, removing Sunny's shoes carefully. She laughed softly when she noted Sunny's tall stilletos. That might have been a little over ten inches long.

 

"She just can't give this up, can she?" She mumbled, shaking her head helplessly.

 

"Babe." Sunny sat up, her released from ponytail hair fell down her shoulders messily. "I have something to tell you." She sung merrily like a song.

 

"I think that can wait tomorrow, bunny." Taeyeon chided affectionately. "I want you to rest now."

 

"No! This can't wait tomorrow or the truth serum will wear off!"

 

Taeyeon looked at Sunny weirdly. Now she was sure Sunny's incredibly drunk. She's now spouting nonsense as well.

 

"Truth serum?" Taeyeon chuckled at the incredulity. 

 

"Yes!" Sunny slurred. "So now I have to tell you the truth."

 

Taeyeon raised an eyebrow. "And what's that?" She played along.

 

"I," She paused for emphasis. She put a hand on her chest, feeling proud of what she is. "Am the head tactician of the CIA Asian Division. Tactical department chief, Lee Sunkyu."

 

Taeyeon frowned. Who the is Lee Sunkyu? "Who is Lee Sunkyu?"

 

Sunny pointed at herself. "Me!"

 

Taeyeon's frown deepened. She doesn't know what's currently going on her fiancee's head. Were the things she spouted the truth? Or was she just dead drunk that she's making things up? Yet again aren't drunk people the most honest ones?

 

"You don't believe me, do you?" She looked at Taeyeon with droopy eyes.

 

Taeyeon wore a smile, shaking her head honestly. "You know I believe you. But I just can't put my head around the fact you're an undercover agent. Let's discuss this tomorrow, shall we?"

 

Sunny pouted, shaking her head disapprovingly. "Do you want me to prove it? I'm serious here, Twaengoo!"

 

That's probably the reason why Taeyeon can't take her seriously. She's drunk, first and foremost, and to be honest Taeyeon can't imagine Sunny as an agent.

 

"Rest now, Bunny." said Taeyeon, pulling Sunny back to the bed. "You're very drunk and I'm worried about you."

 

But Sunny didn't listen. Instead she broke away from Taeyeon's grip and headed to her purse that Taeyeon put at her dresser. Taeyeon watched carefully as Sunny dig through her stuff.

 

"Here's my badge! Chief Tactician Lee Sunkyu." Sunny read the description off her badge.

 

Taeyeon gaped, taking the badge from Sunny and inspecting it carefully. Taeyeon would have insisted this still isn't true but she can't explain why would Sunny go through the effort of making a fake badge just to prove her point. Unless she wasn't lying and the badge is legit as it could get.

 

"And this is my gun."

 

Taeyeon looked up and watched in awe as Sunny twirled the gun around her index finger. She caught the grip and with her other hand pulled back the slide on top of the barrel. It was a gun which Taeyeon do not know what its called but it looked like a small pistol though.

 

"You believe me now?" Sunny hiccupped. She stared at her watch. "You need to believe me, Taengoo! The truth serum's about to wear off."

 

Taeyeon sighed in relief when Sunny collapsed on the bed. Soft snores indicated Taeyeon that Sunny's sound asleep. She picked the gun Sunny held carefully and the ID that has fallen in the floor.

 

"I believe you." She whispered as she stared at the lovely face of her fiancee. She alternated her gaze between the picture on the ID and Sunny's serenely sleeping face. "I do."

 

Sunny held out a hand after listening to Taeyeon's story. "Wait. I personally came to tell you the truth? And did I really say truth serum?"

 

Taeyeon nodded, remembering that night vividly. "Yes, you said it."

 

"Ah! That night... We did a mission. You put the glass of wine that contained drops of truth serum beside your own." Jessica recalled.

 

"Why was there a truth serum in the first place?" Sunny asked dumbly. She couldn't remember that night well.

 

"Because we were supposed to talk to a suspect and if he didn't cooperate and tell the truth we would let him  drink a sip or two of the serum. Fortunately he was an who was only after saving himself so he ratted out his conspirators. That's why you brought the spiked drink at our table. I guess along the way you interchanged your glass from the spiked one." Jessica explained and watched Sunny's look of horror.

 

"Oh my god! I blew my own cover!"

 

"Yes, you did. I guess that just confirms our squirmish earlier wasn't the reason your cover got blown." Jessica nodded, pleased with herself.

 

Sunny looked at Taeyeon guiltily. "Since you married me does that mean-"

 

"I don't care what you worked as." Taeyeon declared. "At that time I was more grateful that you told me who the true you really were. I had my uncertainties, really, but I'm over it."

 

Sunny looked at her in shock. Did her unintentional revelation didn't bother Taeyeon? "You mean you accept me?"

 

Taeyeon grinned widely. "If I cared what you worked as, I wouldn't have shown up at the altar."

 

Sunny nodded, smiling warmly at her wife. She walked over to where Taeyeon is, hugging her tightly. "Thank you for showing up at the altar then."

 

Taeyeon reciprocated the hug, planting a soft peck on Sunny's head. She would be lying if she said she wasn't surprised with Sunny's revelation that day. Taeyeon thought about it carefully and she realized it didn't bother her one bit. What weighed more? The truth of Sunny's identity or not being with Sunny at all? Given the fact that Taeyeon showed up at the altar, it only proves she would prefer to be with Sunny so whatever Sunny worked as wasn't an issue.

 

She was actually surprised when Sunny announced she will work at the station so that she can be with Taeyeon. But Taeyeon knew one of the reasons Sunny picked her wife's field as a change in career was because of the strong desire for public service. Taeyeon never complained though because she knew the sudden change in Sunny's career meant she has left her previous job. Sunny left her highly secretive and dangerous occupation in order to be a normal wife just for Taeyeon and it was something Taeyeon was grateful.

 

Sunny loved her greatly that she gave up her old life just to start a new one with Taeyeon. With Sunny's sacrifices, it was hard for Taeyeon to have doubts regarding their marriage. Sunny loves her and Taeyeon loves her too.

 

"You two really look great together."

 

Breaking the hug, they gave Jessica a guilty look. They've forgotten that Yoona's still unconscious and that Jessica's badly missing her.

 

Sooyoung stood at the corner silently. She was really shocked when she found out Sunny and Jessica turned out to be spies orather secret agents. Well, Sunny was previously one. She was glad that Taeyeon wasn't bothered by that fact but Yoona might be a different case. Yoona's always been honest and what she hated the most in the world other than unverified news scoops is dishonesty.

 

To be honest, Yoona is one of those reporters Sooyoung could proudly say put dedication and integrity in her work. Whatever news she report, Yoona made sure it was honest and real. That's why she wasn't sure how Yoona will deal with Jessica given the fact she hated liars.

 

"How's Yoona?" Sooyoung asked.

 

"Her vitals are good." Jessica reached for Yoona's immobile hand. "She's been under the water for more than five minutes so her brain didn't have any oxygen circulation. The doctors are sure she will wake up but-"

 

The three guests looked at her nervously. A but may not be a good news.

 

"There may be a slight problem with her when she wakes up." She finished.

 

"Oh, no." Sunny gasped. "What kind of problem?"

 

"Speech, mobility, sight... The doctors aren't sure yet but there's also a chance she'll be just fine."

 

Jessica kissed the back of Yoona's hand, gazing into her wife's sleeping feature. Every single day she will always hold Yoona's hand. It gave her assurance that her Yoona's alive, that she will wake up. Jessica made a promise. Even if Yoona doesn't wake up, Jessica will stay by her side. She will take care of Yoona until her very last breath.

 

"What happened to the bad guys?" Sooyoung asked out of the blue. "TBS' president, Chief Ahn and Mr. Yeon were summoned to the police- wait. They weren't sent to the police station, were they?"

 

Jessica shook her head. "CIAA took them in. The investigation is still on-going but I think whoever we've arrested are just the pawns and the officials. The king or queen is still out there." She brushed the back of Yoona's hand with her palm repeatedly. "And the people we've arrested hasn't seen them yet."

 

"It was a shadow transaction, right? No surprise why they haven't seen the executives of the organization." Sunny added. "It would greatly help your investigation if Yoona saw their faces."

 

"Well, we have all the leads Yoona gathered against the pawns of the organization. What we need now is Yoona's statement but that can wait until she recovers." Jessica said. She intertwined her fingers along Yoona's.

 

Taeyeon stood at the foot of bed watching and listening to her wife and Jessica talk. Sooyoung just sat at the couch, quietly listening to the voices albeit a little disoriented with all the information she found out today. It was pretty much a hard pill to swallow, finding out two of your friends are actually secret agents- although it's not so much of a secret now.

 

Taeyeon jerked her body forward, hands planted at the foot of the bed. "Is it me or did I see Yoona's finger move?"

 

Jessica darted her eyes on the fingers she held. True to what Taeyeon said the dainty fingers of Yoona started to move. Jessica gasped in relief. She felt as if a barrel of ice cold water was thrown over her, soaking her from head to toe.

 

Her free hand reached to caress Yoona's face. "Baby? Do you hear me?"

 

Yoona's face moved albeit slightly. Her eyelashes trembled and her eyelids started fluttering open. Jessica teared up a little when her wife finally regained her consciousness.

 

"Oh my God, Yoona." Jessica whispered, planting a wet kiss on her wife's forehead. "Thank goodness you're awake."

 

"You worried us, buddy!" Sooyoung said, now standing by the bed, smiling brightly at her bestfriend.

 

"I wasn't worried." Taeyeon added. "I knew you're strong and even if you have to cross hell, you would just to wake up."

 

The side of Yoona's lips moved though not so much but it was an indicator that she smirked, agreeing to what Taeyeon said. She would come back from the dead if she had to because she wasn't going to die that way.

 

"I'll call the doctor then." Sunny offered.

 

As the doctor examined Yoona, the four of them stood by the foot of the bed. The doctor used a portable flashlight to check Yoona's eyes. He also asked Yoona a few questions like whether her bandaged head hurt or if she's still having any trouble breathing because her lungs were filled with water when she underwent surgery. Once the doctor cleared Yoona, he left the room leaving Yoona with her friends and wife.

 

"Do you need more rest, baby?" Jessica asked. She was preparing the  fruits she stored at the fridge.

 

"I slept for days already. I want to get out." Yoona answered but it seems that there was a little hostility with that kind of tone.

 

Jessica closed her eyes, understanding the sudden coldness of her wife. She donned a smile nonetheless when she turned around and gave Yoona the fruit bowl. "Here, have some fruits."

 

"What happened?" Yoona asked after munching two pieces of pears.

 

"What's the last thing you remember?" Jessica prodded carefully.

 

Yoona's right hand reached for her bandaged head. "I was fighting someone and then I felt a hard hit on my head. That's it."

 

"No wonder you weren't able to swim. You really lost consciousness after that hit." Jessica whispered sadly. "Don't worry. We captured all those people who kidnapped you so once you're fully recovered you can make a statement regarding the abduction."

 

Yoona sat upright but she cringed a little when a sharp pain engulfed her head. "Ouch."

 

Jessica quickly ran to her aid, cupping her face tenderly. "Are you okay, baby? Don't push your self too much."

 

Yoona pulled her face off Jessica's grasp. The action obviously hurt Jessica's feelings but she controlled her expression because she wasn't in any position to be mad about Yoona's anger. She was at fault and Yoona's outburst was expected.

 

"I'm fine." Yoona stated. "So you captured everyone... What did the woman and the old man say?"

 

"Woman and old man?" Sunny asked, confused. "As far as I know there wasn't anyone of that description captured."

 

"Those two are the heads of the organization." Yoona revealed. "Young Suzy was the girl's name. I don't know the old man's name though."

 

"Do you remember their faces?" Jessica quickly asked.

 

"As a matter of fact, I do." Yoona confirmed. "I remember their faces vividly. I can describe their faces for the sketches if I need to."

 

"That will be great, Yoona. We can run a facial recognition and we'll find them in no time." Jessica expressed delightedly.

 

Yoona nodded, staying immobile and silent. She looked up to see the faces of her friends smiling comfortingly at her. She was grateful for their presence but right now she has something important to deal with.

 

"Guys.... Can you leave us for now?" Yoona asked sincerely.

 

Taeyeon, Sooyoung and Sunny exchanged looks before nodding apprehensively. They gave Jessica one final look of encouragement before heading out, leaving the married couple alone.

 

Jessica bit her lower lip, writhing uncomfortably at her spot as she waited for Yoona to speak. The silence was slowly driving her insane. At last, with one deep breathe, Yoona opened to break the eerie silence.

 

"Who am I with right now?" Yoona asked with a hint of sadness and fury laced behind those words. "Am I speaking to Jessica Park or is it Jessica Jung?"

 

Jessica felt a sharp pang of guilt creep within her. Her heart ached a little at the cold animosity directed towards her. This confrontation isn't anything like they had before. Jessica knew then that no matter what they fight about they'll reconcile the next day. However, right now, Jessica isn't exactly sure the same thing can be said about today's fight. Yoona has never been this cold towards her before, she has never spoken this mean before and more importantly, she has never been this hurt before.

 

"I-" Jessica started to reason but even she herself doesn't know how to answer that question. Who is she right now? Is she the secret agent Jessica Jung or the make believe lawyer Jessica Park? "Even I am not sure anymore of who I am. But what I know is that whether I am Jessica Park or Jessica Jung, I am still the Jessica who still cares and loves you, Yoona."

 

"Do you hear yourself, Jessica?" Yoona scoffed in disbelief. "If you yourself doesn't know who you are, how am I supposed to know as well? Who am I married to?"

 

Jessica began to tear up. She knew Yoona deserved answers but Jessica herself couldn't answer it. "Yoona-"

 

"Are we even legally married?" Yoona asked again. Jessica remained silent and it only infuriated Yoona even further. "Answer me, Jessica! Damn it!"

 

Jessica jerked at the sudden rise on Yoona's tone. "Y-Yoona..."

 

Yoona darted her eyes down. The sight of Jessica tearing up tugged her heart but she wanted to learn the truth. "I've had enough of the lies, Jessica! What part of our marriage is not a lie? In fact what part of you is not a lie?"

 

"My feelings for you is not a lie!" Jessica retorted, blinking away the hot tears. "I love you, Yoona."

 

"And you know I love you too." Yoona replied tenderly but right now, love isn't enough to stop the pain Yoona's feeling. It's not the pain of her injuries but the pain in her heart. "But I don't know anymore, Jessica. I don't know what's true and not anymore and it kills me because I never thought that the person I love could lie this way to me."

 

Jessica wanted to explain. She wanted to say that she was in a compromising position, that she was an agent sworn to secrecy even from her own wife. But it was a futile explanation. Jessica had a lot of chances to tell Yoona. She could have done what Sunny did and quit, she could have told Yoona honestly when they were still dating, she could have remained silent and never uttered all those made-up stories about her life. She had a lot of choices and yet she chose to continue lying to Yoona.

 

"I want a lawyer." Yoona said after a moment of silence. Jessica veered her gaze back at Yoona, mouth gaping in surprise. "I want someone who can look into our marriage and tell me whether it's legal or not."

 

Jessica was deeply hurt at the suggestion but she cannot do anything about it. This is the consequence of her lies. She actually didn't expect it will go this far but Yoona's action is justifiable. When Yoona isn't exactly sure what her wife's real identity is, that makes all the things about them questionable and that includes their marriage.

 

"I-I understand." Jessica said, stiffling a cry. "I'll ask Seohyun to send you a representative."

 

Wiping away her tears with the back of her hand, Jessica put the bottle of water near Yoona. She also placed the bento boxes she made for her wife on top of the bedside table. She was sure her wife's hungry given it has been a couple of days since she was unconscious.

 

"In the meantime, you have to eat a lot to gain back your strength. I'll be back-"

 

"Don't worry about me. You have a case to solve. Taeyeon or Sooyoung can help me with my discharge. And until my lawyer finishes his or her review of our marriage, I'll be staying over my parents."

 

Jessica felt like a knife stabbed her heart. Right now it felt like her marriage is falling apart. Even Yoona is drifting away from her. Yoona loves her, that Jessica knows, but the pain Jessica inflicted on Yoona broke the very foundation of their relationship- trust. Yoona loves Jessica and Jessica loves Yoona but it doesn't make the pain any less.

 

"I understand." Jessica said in a low voice. "Then... Get well soon. I-I have to get back to the case. The sketches- We'll talk about it next time. For now you need to rest."

 

Yoona nodded but she averted looking at Jessica. She knew if she saw Jessica's face her resolve will be extinguished. She might just pull out the tubes connected to her body and jump out the bed to give Jessica a tight hug or even a mindblowing kiss. But it took every ounce of her will to stop herself. Jessica won't have it easily.

 

Jessica grabbed her coat and stopped by the door. She gave Yoona one final look but the unreciprocated gaze just added to her hurt. With a heavy heart, Jessica exited the room. Once the door was closed, she leaned against it and let her contained tears flow freely.

 

"Oh my goodness, Jessica! What happened?" Sunny, who was seated outside the room, inquired.

 

The tears and the pain in her heart made answering difficult for Jessica. So instead of answering, she shook her head and quickly ran off, ignoring Sunny's calls.

 

"Was that Jessica?" Taeyeon returned with a cup of coffee, offering it to Sunny.

 

"Yes, it was Jessica." Sunny took the cup but didn't drink it. Her eyes remained at the disappearing back of Jessica.

 

"Why did she run?" Sooyoung returned as well, holding a bag of packed lunches she bought from the cafeteria.

 

"I don't know but I guess she and Yoona got into a fight." Sunny blew her coffee, darting her eyes at the door to Yoona's room. "And it's probably have something to do with their marriage."

 

 

****

 

 

Jessica sat on Kyungsoo's desk absentmindedly. While Kyungsoo ran the facial sketches they got from Yoona, Jessica sat there like an empty vessel. The only good thing she has been thinking about is that Yoona finally got discharged two days ago. However, like what she said in the hospital, she stayed to her parent's house. Jessica's not sure if Yoona had told them already but if not they still will think the couple got into a very serious fight especially when it resulted to Yoona staying out of their house. Yoona has never done that. The most extreme thing she did when they got into a fight is sleep at the guest room.

 

Planting her feet up the chair, Jessica placed her crossed arms on top of her knees. She was in the brink of crying again again but it's not because of her fight with Yoona. It's just that she misses her wife yet she couldn't come see her. Their resident lawyer Kim Ryeowook was assigned by Seohyun to attend to Yoona's request. Yoona wanted to have a legal representative look into her marriage with Jessica.

 

Honestly speaking, Jessica can already tell where this is going. There is a very high probability her marriage with Yoona coming to an end but it was a consequence she was willing to take. Being away from Yoona is better than witnessing her die again. The pain of separation from Yoona would be a lot more bearable than to never see Yoona ever again. This might be Jessica's punishment for all the pretense and lie she made. After all, she did tell herself she'll make up for all her sins.

 

"How are you, Jessica?"

 

Jessica slightly gazed up to see Tiffany looking worriedly at her. "Miserable... But compared to when I thought I lost Yoona forever, this misery is bearable."

 

"Do you want me to talk to Ryeowook? Ask how the case is going?" Tiffany offered kindly.

 

"I appreciate the effort Tiffany but I don't think that's needed anymore." Jessica answered with a forlorn look on her face. "Yesterday when I saw Ryeowook, he apologized to me. I'm guessing that apology meant he found a loophole already."

 

Tiffany remained silent. She has no idea how to console her friend. Aside from the pending separation, Jessica also misses Yoona. Ever since that last encounter at the hospital, Jessica hasn't seen Yoona again. The only time Jessica gets to get a glimpse of Yoona would be when she's on TV broadcasts giving statements and interviews.

 

"Hello gorgeous specimens!" Yuri entered the room with a loud voice trying to enlighten the mood of everyone. "How's the search Kyungsoo?"

 

"So far nothing's come out of our database." Kyungsoo replied with a hint of disappointment. "I've widened the search from every database domestically and internationally. In a few hours we're bound to get our matches."

 

"Good. Seohyun's having a hard time too with the interrogation so even the answers we need from the people involved would take a while." Moving in front of Jessica, she towered of the girl with a small smile. "The two guys you arrested in particular are giving Seohyun a rough time. Would you like to give her a hand?"

 

"If I enter the room and they don't answer my questions, I might end up pulling the trigger." Jessica replied with malice. "Why do you think Seohyun took me off the case?"

 

"She took you off the case?" Tiffany gasped in surprised. "When did this happen?"

 

"Just this morning. I have been too fired up that I ignored some protocol so she took me off the case before it gets out of hand. Those two bird brains..." Jessica balled her fists thinking of the two thugs inside the interrogation rooms. "I haven't forgotten what they did to Yoona."

 

"So what's your plan now?" Yuri prompted.

 

"I honestly don't know but if ever my marriage ends I guess I'll withdraw my resignation letter and continue being an agent. I mean there's no more use for me to quit, right? Yoona found out all about it. Besides, working day and night might take my mind off Yoona."

 

It was a futile wish though because Jessica know that no matter how hard she work, even though she work forever, Yoona would always be in her mind. Yoona has been instilled already inside her mind, body, heart and soul.

 

"I don't want to be negative or anything Jess but I'm just curious about something." Tiffany prodded carefully. She didn't want to say anything that will further aggravate Jessica's situation.

 

"Go ahead, Tiff." Jessica prompted.

 

Tiffany leaned her back against the chair she occupied. "If ever the separation becomes final, are you not going to do anything to fix things with Yoona?"

 

Yuri nodded, putting an arm around Tiffany's shoulders in agreement. "I'm curious too."

 

Jessica sighed heavily while shaking her head. "I broke Yoona's trust. Even if we fix things in the future the question would be whether she can forget everything that has happened and trust me again." She almost teared up remembering the disappointed face of Yoona in the hospital. "Trust and love- those are the pillars of a relationship, at least our relationship. With trust gone, love can barely sustain it. I love her and she loves me. I trust her, with my whole life, but I don't think the same goes for Yoona anymore. What's worst is I am the one who broke that trust."

 

Tiffany and Yuri exchanged glances. They wanted to cheer Jessica up. When the latter's at work she display this strong front. She doesn't shed any tears although the longing for Yoona is evident. However when she gets home, Jessica will cry her heart out. Two days ago when they decided to pick Jessica for work, they found her asleep in her couch hugging her framed wedding photo. The house in which Jessica stays is filled with her memories of Yoona.

 

"With the way I broke Yoona's trust, it's like she discovered me sleeping with someone else. It's the kind of trust breaking that happens when one cheats. It's like... You can say that I cheated on her, which is true. I cheated her by lying about who I am. Even I don't know who I am anymore, Tiffany." Jessica stated, finally letting the pooled tears flow freely. "I know now. I guess after the separation I'll start my soul searching. Maybe I'll find my true self." She added humorlessly.

 

She wiped the tears with the back of her hands but it just won't stop. Finally the dam broke. Pained cries and sobs filled the room. Tiffany quickly moved over to where Jessica is to give her a hug. It was the least she could do for her friend.

 

"It hurts, Tiffany!" Jessica sobbed. She buried her face at the base of Tiffany's neck, wetting her friend's shirt but Tiffany didn't say anything. "I miss Yoona."

 

"Shhhh.... I'm here. Yuri's here. We're here for you, Jess." Tiffany said, rubbing the back of Jessica tenderly. "We won't leave you."

 

With the sun in Jessica's life threatening to leave, the most Tiffany can offer is to be a light. It may not be as bright as the sun Yoona provided but enough to light Jessica's path.

 

 

****

 

 

Yoona lied on the bed gazing at the ceiling filled with many thoughts. A big part of her terribly misses Jessica but the stubborn part of her, the part that won, refuses to admit she wants to see the girl again.

 

Yoona isn't just mad at Jessica for lying about her identity. It's the whole deception that left Yoona angry because they made a fool out of her. Everything about Jessica was made up from her education, work, friends, and family. It got Yoona wondering if she knew her wife at all.

 

Yoona couldn't help but wonder if they laughed at her that time she visited their office to congratulate Jessica for the success of her case. Did they plan what Jessica will say to Yoona whenever she get an overseas 'seminar'? Did they rehearse their lines whenever Yoona invited them for a meal? Did they mock Yoona's naivety when she recorded that special news?

 

Was the weakness Jessica showed Yoona at home to like failing to open a tight bottle of mayo real or was it an act to deceive Yoona into thinking that 'weak' Jessica needed 'strong' Yoona? What about those times Jessica asked Yoona questions about the current news? Was that an act to let Yoona think she knew more things than Jessica?

 

Those thoughts are what actually makes Yoona mad. Yoona hated the fact those pretentions made her think she was a dependable and strong wife for Jessica. It made her feel small all of the sudden. She wasn't strong and she wasn't dependable. She was a fool. A fool that got caught in the life of Jessica Park- or was it Jessica Jung?

 

Yoona buried her face deeper into the soft pillow. She has taken the day off because she doesn't feel well. In fact she was sure she won't feel well in the upcoming days, probably even months or years.

 

She turned her body so that she's now lying on her back. "I feel like crap."

 

"How can you not?"

 

Yoona quickly sprang up only to see Taeyeon standing against the doorway with folded arms. "Oh, it's just you Taeyeon."

 

"How will you not feel like crap, Yoona? I mean you look like crap right now!" Taeyeon retorted.

 

Yoona merely shook her head and fell back the mattress. "You don't need to tell me. I know."

 

"Sunny told me you called in sick." Taeyeon said, keeping her eyes on Yoona. "Does your injuries hurt again?"

 

Yoona stared at the ceiling. Right now she didn't feel like talking to anyone. She just wants to be alone. "I just don't feel well."

 

Taeyeon took a deep breath. She made a face but quickly composed herself. "Now this is a first. Im Yoona doesn't want to go to work."

 

Taeyeon moved from the door and sat to the chair by the desk. She crossed her leg over the other and just kept her eyes on Yoona. The woman silently ignored the presence of another which Taeyeon knew is deliberate.

 

"How's the divorce coming along?" Taeyeon said after a while.

 

Yoona didn't take her eyes off the ceiling. "It's not divorce."

 

"Ah, I see. How's the separation coming along? There, happy?"

 

Yoona merely rolled her eyes at the mockery. They all do not approve of her action regarding her marriage but it was her problem, not theirs. "Lawyer Kim said he'll thoroughly review the case and he'll see me when he's done. Although I already know how this will end."

 

"Me too." Taeyeon admitted sadly. "I've researched about hiding one's identity before marriage. Apparently it can be a ground for fraud anywhere in the world. That said, the marriage is voidable."

 

Yoona finally got up and faced Taeyeon. "If you already know that much, you can tell your wife to stop convincing me. Even if I do nothing, the marriage isn't even legit from the very start!"

 

"Yoona, my wife has a name." Taeyeon replied calmly. "Also, you need to understand that Sunny's just doing this because she's worried about Jessica."

 

"I get it. Jessica's her friend that's why she did that. But what about you? Aren't you my friend? Shouldn't you be worried about me as well?"

 

"You and Jessica are both my friends, Yoona. That's why I am worried about the both of you." Taeyeon reasoned. She took a deep breath then continued. "Technicalities aside, you still love Jessica. Isn't that enough to keep the marriage intact?"

 

"Well I'm not like you, Taeyeon." Yoona finally got to her feet, shoulders heaving at the start of her outburst. "I'm not like you who can just forget about your lying wife. The lies brought me to Jessica Park's world that doesn't really exist in reality. I was in a distorted reality that those CIA people made-up just to hide their group. What really pisses me even more is the fact that they couldn't trust me. I get they won't trust me after only dating Jessica for a while, but Jessica herself could have told me the truth when we got married, right? Since she never brought it up it means she planned to hide it from me. She could hide it forever. Do you understand it, Taeyeon?!"

 

Taeyeon watched Yoona's outburst. It was just like a newly popped bottle of champagne- the intensity, huge and deep.

 

"I understand, Yoona." Taeyeon expressed her sentiment. "If the incident didn't happen you might live the rest of your life not knowing about the secret. You really would have lived in a distorted reality." She added. "But Sunny told me Jessica filed her resignation already right before the incident. She planned to have a normal life with you. She wanted a family and was ready for that however the incident happened."

 

"So are you telling me that I should be grateful? That she will finally abandoned her life as an agent to be a normal wife and a mother?" Yoona asked in mock disbelief. "That doesn't change the fact that I am already in the distorted reality of Jessica Park! If we had a kid that will be even messier! Just like me our child will be deceived. Don't you get it, Taeyeon? Everything about Jessica is a lie!"

 

Taeyeon jolted at the increase in of volume of Yoona's voice. Furious and irrational, that's Yoona's state right now. "Calm down, Yoona."

 

" it!" Yoona refuted. She then pointed a finger at Taeyeon. "And you Taeyeon, I can't believe you let Sunny off without feeling about it. She deceived you too! Your marriage is voidable as well!"

 

Taeyeon balled her fist. Yoona is far from calm right now. And so with everything she got, Taeyeon swung a fist aiming for Yoona's face.

 

Blag!

 

Yoona fell on the floor. Her hair covered her face as she seethed impatiently.

 

"Are you calm now?" Taeyeon breathed into her right fist, shaking it as well to ease the pain. She wasn't the athletic type and she never hit anyone before. "Damn, I didn't know hitting someone can be this painful."

 

Yoona sat upright, leaning her back against the bed and looking up the ceiling once again. There is an obvious cut on the left side of her lower lip. The bleeding was moderate but she didn't bother wiping it so it looked bad.

 

"Getting hit and hitting someone is hard yet that's Jessica's job. Her body and health is always on the line. Do you know how hard she has to try to avoid getting hit? Because if I was in her position I wouldn't want to go home and let my wife see I got a bruise." Taeyeon slowly reasoned. "What about gunshots? You think she never feared her life? She probably wears a bulletproof vest but there's always a point blank range. How many prayers do you think she prayed just to make sure she can see you again?"

 

Taeyeon slowly walked over to where Yoona sat. Slowly she got to her knees. "Jessica got a dangerous job but the thing that makes her strong is the fact that her wife is waiting for her once the mission is over. You keep her alive, Yoona. If it weren't for you, she would have become reckless and may have gotten herself hurt or worst killed."

 

Yoona didn't utter a word but the tears that escaped the corner of her eyes let Taeyeon knew she was listening.

 

Taeyeon got to her feet, gazing down at her friend with worried eyes. "You asked me why I let Sunny off. That's because I knew about her identity before our marriage."

 

At that statement, Yoona veered her gaze up to Taeyeon. "What happened?"

 

"Do you remember that time a few weeks before my wedding? I asked you to meet me in a bar and you listened to my uncertainties for the upcoming wedding." Taeyeon recalled. "I found out about Sunny's identity when she came to my house one night, drunk and truth serum within her system. She showed me her badge and her gun and she told me the truth. So basically I already know her identity before marriage."

 

Yoona remembered that night. Taeyeon looked so lost. It was more than getting cold feet on the upcoming wedding day. It turns out this was the reason.

 

"I asked you, right? I asked you, Yoona, if I can get through the wedding? But never answered me. Instead you asked me another question but that question became my answer." Taeyeon continued. "You asked me if cancelling wedding, not pushing through the marriage, would be a decision that I can look back a few years from now and say I don't regret it."

 

"So what is it, Taeyeon? Are you okay waking up in the morning and Sunny's warmth isn't around? If you cancel the wedding, can you say to yourself a few years from now that you don't regret that decision?" Yoona cringed when she downed a shot of whiskey.

 

"I- I can't say I won't regret it." Taeyeon answered. "Sunny's the only right thing that happened in my world full of wrong."

 

Yoona nodded. "Do you love her then?"

 

Taeyeon stared at her empty glass before nodding. She faced Yoona with a determined look. "Of course, I do. I love her."

 

Yoona beamed brightly at the answer. "Then that's all that matters!"

 

Yoona closed her eyes. Why the did she say that?

 

"Before the wedding, Sunny resigned from CIA and she legally changed her name to Sunny Lee. She embraced the name given to her for cover and abandoned Lee Sunkyu, her real name." Taeyeon explained. "At first I was hesitant with the marriage still but when she told me she will apply at the station so that she can be with me, I realized it didn't matter whether she's Sunny Lee or Lee Sunkyu. She want to be with me and I want to be her. That's why I accepted what she is and what she was."

 

Taking a deep breath, Taeyeon bent down to face Yoona closely. Their eyes connected and as much as Yoona wanted to look away, the part of her that wanted to hear more rendered her motionless. Maybe that eager part was the part that hopes Taeyeon talk some sense into Yoona.

 

"So let me ask you this Yoona. Let me ask you the same question you gave me that night. This separation with Jessica, once it ends for good, will it be something you won't regret a few years from now? Or better yet, will it be something you won't regret the moment you open your eyes tomorrow?"

 

Taeyeon put a hand on Yoona's shoulder. "I just want you to be happy Yoona. And to be honest, you will be more miserable in a world without Jessica." With two pats on Yoona's shoulder, Taeyeon got up and headed for the door. "Think about it Yoona."

 

Once Yoona heard Taeyeon's footsteps disappeared and the door closed, she slumped down the floor bringing her groggy gaze up the white ceiling. The whiteness sort of became a blank canvass that's why with the use of her imaginative mind, Yoona mentally drew the face of Jessica. The closer she completed the face, the more tears come out her eyes. She didn't even notice she was already crying.

 

" your mouth, Im Yoona. You shouldn't have told that to Taeyeon." Closing her tired, heavy eyes, Yoona tried to sleep. The rest gives her temporary freedom away from Jessica. "Stupid Yoona."

 

 

****

 

Jessica closed the fridge the moment she got the carton of milk. Opening the lid, she gulped it down in one shot before throwing the carton at the trash. She paused momentarily to look around the kitchen. By now it's already dinner time yet she wasn't in the mood to cook for anything. The hunger her stomach feel is nothing compared to the hunger of wanting to see Yoona.

 

Her eyes fell on the dinner table. By now, if Yoona's here, the table will be full of dishes. Jessica has plenty of time cooking especially for Yoona. Besides, a perfect Saturday night is their date night.

 

Jessica remembers.

 

She remember dining with Yoona with their hands intertwined. Eating was slower since they only have one hand to use, but the sweet whispers and the soft kisses were worth it.

 

Slumping on a chair by the dining table, Jessica's gaze fell at the pieces of paper sitting on top of the table surface. The separation is now complete. The court ruled the marriage void from the very beginning due to fraud which is in terms of hiding one's identity to his or her partner before marriage. It's under the same clause when one hides his or her gender to his or her partner before marriage.

 

The court settlement was done in secret. All eyes are on Yoona ever since she started being a whistle blower. They will eventually notice it soon that Yoona's no longer living with Jessica and soon will discover they are no longer married. Yoona agreed for the last time for a make believe scenario. They will make it seem a divorce so that the public won't find out about Jessica's work.

 

Ever since the looming separation started, Jessica withdrew her resignation from Seohyun. As much as possible she wanted be busy all the time to get her mind off Yoona. Jessica's gaze burned the court ruling documents. She wanted to tear it but somehow it felt like the last connection she'll have with Yoona.

 

"You're a hopeless case, Jessica Jung."

 

Ding.

 

Jessica wondered who's at the door. She asked her friends to leave her alone this weekend. She needed time for herself.

 

"Maybe it's Tiffany." She sighed in exasperation. Tiffany's such a worry rat.

 

Standing up, Jessica headed to the door. The moment her eyes fell on her visitor though suddenly she felt difficult to breathe.  "Y-Yoona...."

 

Yoona stood there unmoving. The bags under her eyes were too obvious. Her hair wasn't groomed properly like it used to be. She was wearing simple jeans, shirt, jacket and sandals. From the looks of it Yoona went out in a hurry without bothering to tidy herself.

 

"C-Come in." With a shaking voice, Jessica stepped aside to let Yoona enter. She watched the tall figure walk past her and look around the room. "Did- Did you forget something? Clothes? Shoes?" Jessica asked awkwardly, pushing the door close.

 

Yoona turned around, eyes meeting Jessica. She didn't answer, in fact she didn't speak. She just stood there gazing pointedly at Jessica. Her jaw trembled in suppress rage. Maybe the reason Yoona came here is because she wanted to vent out her anger at Jessica.

 

Jessica is willing to hear her out though. She knew the rage and contempt Yoona felt and she's willing to feel her wrath. It was all Jessica's fault. She wasn't in any position to avoid it. Jessica squirmed uncomfortably at the hard gaze and silence Yoona's giving her.

 

"I- I know you're angry at me." Jessica began. "And no matter how much I apologize I know you won't forgive me. It's my fault, I know. I ruined our marriage." She quickly wiped a lone there that escaped her eye. She can't cry! She's the one at fault here. "B-But with all the lies the only thing that is true is the fact that I love you, Yoona."

 

Yoona remained silent much to Jessica's confusion. Is Yoona going to be like this the entire time?

 

"I- I miss you, Yoona." Jessica said sincerely. "I really do miss you."

 

To Jessica's surprise, Yoona took long and quick strides towards her and before she knew it her back's planted on the door with Yoona trapping her.

 

"Y-Yoona..." Jessica's voice trembled. For some reason she felt scared about her wife- or rather Yoona's action.

 

Without any warning, Yoona dived for those trembling lips. Jessica's eyes widened in surprise, threatening to go out its sockets, but she quickly regained her composure. Why is Yoona kissing her anyway? Nonetheless, Jessica wouldn't refuse this gesture.

 

Grabbing Yoona's face, Jessica reciprocated the kiss. Their tongues smashed and their teeth clashed. For some reason Jessica understood the meaning of this visit. It was goodbye. For the last time Yoona will see her, for the last time Yoona will kiss her and for the last time Yoona will make love to her.

 

There were no words spoken even though they reached the bedroom, unshed their clothes, touched each other's body and sweated while they made love. The only noise that filled the room was the sound of pleasure escaping their lips.

 

Jessica clutched the back of Yoona's head as she let out her fourth scream of release that night. Yoona let her lips trail kisses along Jessica's neck before settling for a last kiss on her lips.

 

"I love you." Yoona murmured.

 

Jessica's eyes sting with tears. "I love you too, Yoona."

 

Jessica watched with a heavy heart as Yoona put her shirt on. "Does your parents know already?"

 

Yoona shook her head. "No, I haven't told them yet. They'll be pretty sad when they find out about it though since they really like you."

 

Jessica sat up and covered her body with her white sheet which is now drenched in sweat and body fluid. "I'm really sorry-"

 

"Don't apologize." Yoona cut her off. "Please, don't. If you do you'll make this harder for me. Do you know why I came here anyway? Why I just suddenly pounce on you-"

 

"I know." Jessica admitted, a hint of somber in her tone. "This is goodbye, right?"

 

Yoona sighed heavily. Jessica got it right. Yoona thought about this visit a lot. She thought it was only right to see Jessica at least one last time. Originally Yoona planned for them to talk but when she got here, her nervousness blanked her mind. Also when she saw Jessica's face she abandoned the idea of talking and instead aggresively kissed her for the days she spent without seeing and talking to Jessica overwhelmed her senses. At that moment, when she stood face to face with Jessica, Yoona just wanted to touch her. Yoona wanted to express to Jessica the words she failed to deliver.

 

She is still in love with Jessica but she's hurt and the trust broken.

 

"I- What makes me feel worst is the fact you didn't bother telling me at all. You never come clean." Yoona slowly expressed. "It's like you don't trust me at all. Who will I tell that my wife's a secret agent? Will I endanger your life and our family? I have many things I don't get but there's nothing I can do about it anyway."

 

Jessica listened well, ignoring the continuously flowing tears.

 

"I don't want to talk anymore. I don't want to hurt your feelings." Yoona gazed back at Jessica. "On the other hand, I apologize if I made you suffer because of this separation. I still haven't thanked you yet for saving me. Thank-"

 

"Don't." Jessica interrupted, sniffling a little. Why is Yoona so kind? Why don't she just unleash her fury at Jessica? Why does she have to care about Jessica's feelings? Why does she have to apologize when the one who suffered more is Yoona herself? "I did that not because it's my job. You are- I mean you were my wife, Yoona. I'd rather die than lose you."

 

And yet Jessica will still lose Yoona nonetheless. But it was better this way. Yoona will live.

 

"I- I see." Yoona stuttered. Her heart feels so heavy. She doesn't want this night to end yet court has spoken. Their marriage is now over. "I- I hope I was able to make you feel what I feel about you, Jessica. I felt yours and although there are lots off lies, your feelings are the only thing I know that's true."

 

Finally Jessica smiled a little. It was a little consoling to know Yoona doesn't doubt her love. "Thank you, Yoona. And yes, I felt it too. After all, action speaks louder than words, right?"

 

When Yoona reached for her pants, Jessica bravely asked her for one last favor. She just couldn't bear sending Yoona away. She can't watch Yoona leave.

 

She reached for Yoona's arm to prevent her from wearing her pants. "Please stay, Yoona. Make love to me until my body can't take it anymore. Leave only when my eyes are closed because I can't bear to watch you leave."

 

Yoona's heart ache at Jessica's tear streaked face. Nodding, Yoona once again unshed her clothes and kissed Jessica passionately. Jessica's request may have been selfish but Yoona is selfish herself. She doesn't want this night to end but since that wish is impossible, Yoona would at least savor her last night with the woman she loves.

 

The next morning, Jessica woke up late and with a sore body. She looked at the left side of the bed and saw no Yoona. They finished their love making around four in the morning. Yoona collapsed due to exhaustion and her still healing injuries could no longer keep up while Jessica collapsed due to exhaustion of crying endlessly and the heaviness of her heart she carried these past few days.

 

Somehow that heaviness become lighter. Maybe Yoona took some with her or maybe Jessica has managed to set if free last night. Nonetheless, although she and Yoona talked lightly last night, it still doesn't change the fact that beginning today Jessica's now living alone. Her marital status has now changed and her marriage is now over.

 

Jessica gazed at her wedding ring. It fit her finger perfectly. Should she keep it away or should she keep on wearing it and drown in the memories of Yoona?

 

Jessica sighed and decided to keep on wearing it. She's a masochist. The ring would be her last connection with Yoona. Besides, it ought to keep away people who'll try to hit on her. Maybe she'll take it off once she hears the news that Yoona's moved on and found a new love.

 

But right now, even though she'll look like a fool, even though she'll hurt herself, Jessica just can't seem to keep the ring away.

 

"You're making this hard for yourself, Jessica."

 

Yet she still doesn't have the heart to put this ring away. It is something Yoona gave her that symbolizes her love. Yes their marriage maybe over but Yoona confessed her love for Jessica. She's still in love with Jessica. And unless Yoona stop loving her, Jessica will continue to wear this ring.

 

"Masochist." She whispered to herself. She placed her palm on her heart, feeling the coldness of the metal against her ness. "Yoona..."

 

Their marriage was over but their love wasn't. That idea is the only thing driving Jessica sane. At least for now.

 

TBC

 

A/N:

 

YOOOOOOOOOO! I know this update is long due that's why I made it long! So what you just read is the last chapter of this story. I know, angsty all the way, but  this is the direction I had in mind when I thought about this story anyway. Stay tune for the Epilogue! 

 

As usual, comment your thoughts. I wanna know! And please vote if you like or hated this chapter. HIHI

 

-kariboo17