Chapter 2

Not Another Arranged Marriage

1. Wondering


 

 In front of the mirror stood up a young lady, wearing a simple yet elegant wedding gown. She kept admiring helself through her reflection, wondering if she was seeing right or was she just hallucinating.  Wandering her slim hands through the fabric of her gown, an amuse smile grew on her face. She never thought that wearing such gown could make her feel beautiful and more confident, never had she thought about wearing it in the first place. But she had to, because this was her duty and she didn't have any other choice.

"Ma'am, it's time" she heard the organizer calling her to make her entrance and finally face her soon to be husband. With a heavy heart, she made her way to the door and waited patiently for it to open. As soon as she heard the entrance song she took a deep breath and the door opened at last. Step by step she found herself getting nearer to the altar, where her groom was waiting for her wearing a very elegant suite with his hair styled, making him look like a very sufisticated young man. There was no doubt, she found him very attractive, but that wasn't the thing she was looking in a guy: for her, looks didn't matter; better yet, the thought of looking for a partner never crossed her mind at all. But look at where she was now: facing the altar, with him on her right and in a matter of seconds she will no longer be free.

"I do." she heard him answering the priest, who was now facing her ready to ask her the same question. 

"And you, Baek Jinhee, do you take Jung Taekwoon as your lawful husband,  to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better and for worse, for richer and poorer, in sickness and in health, till death do you part?"

She stared at the priest wearing a blank face. After few second of pure silence the priest repeated himself and once again nothing came out from . The groom faced her, anxiousness printed in his face. She stood there paralized, watching as the priest's lips started to move in a slow motion way: everything around her started to spin and all she could hear were just muffled voices.

"Baek Jinhee, for the last time, do you take him as your lawful husband?"

"I-"

knock knock

Jinhee shot up from her bed with a heavy feeling inside her chest. Rubbing her eyes she looked around and found herself alone in her room. Was that all just a dream? She thought moving her legs out of the bed looking at the clock, which showed 2am with its hands.

knock knock

"Yah! Baek Jinhee, open this door now." Jinhee dragged herself in front of the door, wondering who in their right mind would come to her room at such late hour. "Jinhee-ah, open up it's Oppa." Oppa? she thought; right, he was supposed to come. With hidden excitement she immediately open her door revealing her beloved Oppa. 

"Missed me?" Jinyoung smirked opening his arms inviting the girl for a hug. Without thinking twice, she threw herself at him crossing her arms around his neck. It has been a really long time since the last time she could hug him like this: because of their respective busy schedules they never had time for one another. Jinyoung was busy with his newly opened studio and due to his undeniable talent he gained numerous clients right away. Whereas for Jinhee, she was preoccupied with work at her father's company causing her to consume all her energy.

"You don't even have to ask." she answered still clingging unto him. Jinyoung just chuckled at his sister's answer and hugged her tighter.  "I know."

Breaking their hug, Jinhee moved a little so she could let her brother enter her room. "Nothing has changed here, huh? Still the neat frick, I see." the younger one could only laugh at her brother's comment, but well that was completely true: she hated being messy; she was quite a perfectionist, where everything had to be in order and neatly arranged. 

"Oppa, I told you not to come," she changed the topic "you didn't have to, really." Jinyoung turned to look at his sister and raised an eyebrow, "I have to do it, if my dearest sister is having troubles even without saying anything. And most importantly, my baby girl is going to get married without telling her Oppa about it. Do you expect me to just sit around and watch you taken away by some random guy? Well, sorry to tell you but I'm not that kind of brother.".

Nothing could take away the possessiveness Jinyoung had of his sister, he would do everything just to make sure nothing will harm her. There was this time when Jinhee had her first ever forced date and Jinyoung kept following them everywhere: he surely was few meters away but his presence was quite noticeable. Instead of feeling embarrassed,  Jinhee was more thankful for it, because she wasn't interested in dating in the first place; so having her brother following them was just the right way to not let the guy try to make a move on her.

"Yeah, the same old overprotective Ajusshi." Jinhee laughed at the nickname she gave her brother. "Call me that again and you won't see the light anymore." "As if you can do anything to me, you just love me so much." She showed some cute faces, knowing that her aegyo would affect him a lot. "Hep hep! Your aegyo won't work with me anymore, young lady. So save it." He turned his back to her and approached her bed before laying on it as if it was his own.

"Oh really, Oppa?~" He frozed hearing her use that kind of tone with him. He remembered how he used to like that a lot back when they were kids, but growing up Jinhee matured really fast and those things were not in her dictionary anymore. It amused him actually: he would still see cute expressions on her from time to time, but he never thought that he would witness her cute voices ever again.

"You know," Jinyoung looked up at Jinhee "you should be like this more often. You look more approachable and fun to talk to.". Jinhee was a bit taken aback from it and lowered her gaze while thinking of herself. Was she really that unapproachable? Was she really that boring? But she didn't have time for fun, there were things more important than fun. As long as she was at peace while working then she was just as fine, she didn't need more than that.

"If you keep being a cold princess, then no one will marry you." Jinyoung joked.

"I'm getting married, remember?"

"Well ehm- N-no one will love you then" He reasoned.

"You love me"

"That's different."

"It's still love, Oppa."

"Jinhee listen," Jinyoung sat up and patted a spot in her bed next to him "there are different types of love: there's the love from your own parents; the one you get from your siblings and relatives; there's the friendly love; and last but not the least, the love you only get to experience with one particular person. You may call it whatever you want: true love, puppy love, love at first sight, unconditional love etc. But remember one thing, this will come to you in the most unexpected way. All you have to do is be open about it, you'll never know it may come tomorrow, next week or perhaps it already came. Just don't be so close to yourself. As much as I don't want you to get married this soon, maybe this is the time when you'll get the chance to let your soft side out and experience new things. I know I was overprotective of you back then, only because I thought you weren't ready it yet. But looking at you now, I'm sure deep inside here," he gently poked her left chest "you already are." 

Was she ready to love and to be loved by that one particular person?

Will she be able to love in the right way?

Will that person love her the right way?

Endless question ran across her mind and she didn't know how to answer them. She knew that she'll be able to find those answers one day, but it wasn't now. She needed to find herself first, what purpose she had in this life and what future was waiting for her. Right now, in contrary of what her brother said, she wasn't ready to love yet. Not as of now.

"Do you know him?" Jinhee softly asked. "Who? Your future husband?" she nodded slowly. "Well, I know his name." she heard him say, causing her curiousity to rise up. "Jung Taekwoon is his name." 

Jung Taekwoon.

This name sounded quite familiar to her, but she couldn't pinpoint where she heard it. Maybe she met him already before, but she couldn't recall anyone she met with that name. His name attracted her somehow, and she was wondering why. Based on his name, Jinhee could sense that this guy was not an ordinary one. She'll just hope this Taekwoon guy won't trouble her or stress her out: she had too many things to handle another problem would break her down, literally. 

"Do you know when are you going to meet him?" Jinhee shook her head softly and looked up "Will you come with me if ever I'm going to meet him?" she asked with pleading eyes. Jinyoung just ruffled her hair the smiled sincerely. "There's no need to ask," Jinhee broke out with a rare huge smile and hugged her brother "anything for my princess."

 

~◆~

 

Morning came and Jinhee was waken up by someone jumping on her in her bed. Who dared to interrupt her sleep? It has been a long time since she could sleep that peacefully and yet someone had to jump on her and ruin everything. 

"Eonnie, Eonnie, Eonnie, Eonnie wake up~" Jinhee sighed. It was her sister again, what did she want this time? "The sun is up, Eonnie. And I know it's your day off. So let's go shopping, shall we?" Jinhae stood up and moved towards the curtains before opening them. Jinhee moved around now, murmuring something against her pillow "Hae.. It's my day off, for God's sake.". Today was one of those days which Jinhee rarely accepted as her day offs, most of the times she would rather spent them inside her office doing nothing but work. That is why Jinhae was so happy about it, she could spend it with her sister and bond with her, because they never got the chance to do due to the older one's busy schedule.

Jinhae knew how cold her sister was towards her, but she didn't know the actual real reason. She always used her sister's busyness as reason, just so she could blame something for the lackness in affection of Jinhee. Every time Jinhee would push her away, she would never give up on her. Whichever reason Jinhee had, that would never change the fact that they were sister. Sisters are meant to support each other, and that was what she wanted to prove to Jinhee. 

"Eonnie, hurry up and go wash up. We have a busy day ahead! Go go go~" Jinhae pulled Jinhee by her arm making her sit up before forcing her to stand up and push her towards the bathroom. "Okay okay, I get it. Give me 30 minutes and I'll be downstairs. " Jinhee gave up and entered her bathroom to prepare herself. 

"Assa! That was pretty easy~" Jinhae whispered once she heard her sister locking the door. Moving out of Jinhee's room, Jinhae headed down towards their kitchen to arrange the table for their breakfast. Jinhae loved to cook, it was one of her favorite things to do during her free time and in fairness she was very good at it. Satisfied with the result, she happily clapped her hands admiring the newly arranged table filled with delicious food. "I wish Eonnie will like it." She prayed waiting for Jinhee to arrive.

Putting some slight make-up, Jinhee smelled something delicious coming from downstairs and smiled softly. "She's at it again.".  Little did Jinhae know, Jinhee loved her sister's cooking. It was the best for her, but due to her cold attitude and un capability of showing affection towards her she never had the chance to tell her.

Grabbing her purse and keys, Jinhee stepped out of her room and headed down. 

"Oh, Eonnie." Jinhae stoop up like lighting once she spotted Jinhee entering their dining room. "That was fast... Anyway, take a sit. I made breakfast for us, come join me.". Jinhee took a seat in front of her and started to eat without saying a thing. As expected by Jinhee, it tasted like heaven but she felt really shy saying it out loud so she kept silent and continued eating. Jinhae could only smile at how cute her sister looked while eating so eagerly, so she guessed that Jinhee liked what she prepared for them, somehow.

After eating, the two sisters headed out and Jinhee drived them to the nearest mall. The car ride was field with Jinhae's rumbling: from how happy she was that she could spend an entire day with her sister to how her classmate had this huge crush for one of their seniors. Jinhee could only keep listening and nodding from time to time. She wasn't annoyed that Jinhae couldn't keep shut, she was rather jealous. Jinhae was so outgoing and straightforward,  while in her case she was rather the quiet and reserved one. She wished she could be more like her and not having problems in opening up, but she was afraid to do so - or better yet she was afraid to make a mistake. So she preferred to just keep her comments to herself and move forward.

Arriving the mall, Jinhae immediately sprinted towardJinhee and pulled her towards the entrance. "Eonnie, palli! I want to see this shop. They said they sell the best skirts, and I'm dying to have one! Palli!". Jinhee shook her head but still followed her. 

The entire 'sisters bonding day' consisted in Jinhae pulling Jinhee inside every single shop and force her to buy this and that, even if she knew she wouldn't use them at all. "Eonnie," Jinhae called her sister's attention "I want to do this last thing with you. And it requires you to give the best smile you've got.".

Hell no. She though.

Jinhee tried to escape her sister's grasp on her, but she was pulled with so much forced that she couldn't say no anymore. After many turns here and there, they were now standing inside this bright shop: there were numerous light stands in every corner and many hanging photo all around the place. It was Jinhee's first time entering a photo shop and it quite fascinated her, the place was so lively and eye pleasing. Jinhee kept admiringthe whole place when an husky male voice called her attention.

 

"Welcome to Starlight Digital Photography! How may I help you?"

 


 

A/N: /bows 180 degrees/ Please forgive me if I haven't updated last weekend, many things came up and I didn't have enough time to post the update. Forgive me.