Prologue ii: The Members of Labyrinth 71

Second To None
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

The First Member: Do Kyungsoo

 

"Happy New Year's Day!" People cheer from outside. I smile cheerfully as I shake hands with everyone in the house.

"Kyungsoo, you've reached the Twentieth Year of Existence. Am I right?" A large guy with spectacles on, asks me suddenly. "Yes." I nod.

"Good luck in the War of Eighty." I gasp, I forgot. My eyes dart to the grandfather clock near the door.

Two more minutes and members from Unit leden are going to be transported to random labyrinths. "Kyungsoo, come back safely." A single tear falls from my eye. "I'll try my best, ma." I say as I hug her-- the woman who took care of me for eighteen years.

I feel the surge of strength run through my veins and I give a final bow to them-- my family. "Goodbye."

My eyes shut and when I open them, darkness. 

"Member number one, welcome. Welcome to the 71st labyrinth."

 

 

The Second Member: Kim Jongin

 

I lazily yawn as the fireworks above boom. Oohs and aahs can be heard from the people gathering in the park. I pat my three dogs and I sigh.

I look at my watch. 00:01. "Four minutes, Jjangu. It was nice living life with you." I hug the three dogs one last time as I hand the leashes to my older sister. "Jongin, take care." She whispers.

"I will, and just in case, I want to tell you that I love you." My eyes water as I utter those words. "I-I" My sister shivers. "I love you too, Jongin. Please come back safely."

"I'll try my best, I'll miss you." I can feel my heart aching as I know that there is no chance that I'm ever going to be alive. Goodbye cruel world, goodbye.

"Jongin, your feet are disappearing." She says. "See you."

I can feel my body stretch and I close my eyes to filter the bright visions around me. Then I stop, my eyes flutter open. 

"Member number two, welcome. Welcome to the 71st labyrinth."

 

 

The Third Member: Kim Minseok

 

"Stop worrying, Minseok. Members of Unit brezen get fifteen minutes. We still have much time." I sob as I hug my father. "Dad, I can't. I can't see you anymore. I can't see everyone anymore. I won't get out."

"Believe in yourself, Minseok." My mother joins the hug. My tears flow more. "I wish that I didn't have to let go of you."

"Minseok." My teenage sister runs a hand across my arm. "I'll miss you." I hug her as well.

"I know you'll survive. I'm believing. I'm praying." She says as she hugs me back. "Though we quarrel, please know that I'll remember you. I'll remember you, mom. I'll remember you, dad."

My mother grips my hand in distress. "Minseok?" 

"Yes?" I smile, treasuring the moments left with my family. "You're becoming cold." "Am I?"

Suddenly, I can't feel them around me anymore. It's becoming extremely cold. My eyelids connect and I breathe normally after a few seconds. As I open my eyes, I feel vibrations in my body.

"Member number three, welcome. Welcome to the 71st labyrinth."

 

 

The Fourth Member: Oh Sehun

 

"Soldier. Do well." The leader of the house says. "Affirmative, captain." 

"We can stop talking like this, for now." He says. "Hun, we're going to miss you. Do well." I smile gratefully. "Yes, dad." Dad. That word is so uncommon to me. I have uttered it only thrice. Once, on my fifth birthday. When I was too happy to follow the rules. Second, when I was sixteen when I decided to rebel. And now, at the moment where we're supposed to part.

He hugs me and gives me a pat on the back. 

"Hun, I survived, then you should too." My older brother speaks up, gripping my hands. "You're a fighter." 

"I don't know if I could, actually. What time is it?" I wipe my tears.

"00:18, Hun." "Mom." I run to her and I embrace her. I am entangled by her slender arms and I cherish the moment. 

"Two more minutes, Hun." My father says. "Good luck. I'm so proud of you and all of your accomplishments."

Mother, who was hugging me, suddenly let go. "It's strangely windy." She says as she eyes me from head to toe. "I think it's time, Hun. Farewell." She hugs me again.

I can see their hair flowing against the breeze. "I love you, all." I say as I wave.

The wind becomes vigorously scary and I shut my eyes in fear. I couldn't feel the wind anymore.

"Member number four, welcome. Welcome to the 71st labyrinth."

 

 

The Fifth Member: Lu Han

 

"Luhan." A gentle voice whispers from behind. Her arms wrap around my neck and her head leans against mine. "Eat." 

"Mom, I'm full." I say as I gulp. "Are you scared, Luhan?" I bite my lip and I nod. I have never felt a heartbreak quite this painful. "Mom." I manage to say. "I'll miss you."

"I'll miss you too." 

Silence. Was Unit duben always this silent? Or was it just at this moment? "I don't want to leave, mom."

"I don't want you to leave too. But we have no choice. I survived that War several decades ago. If I did it, then you could do it too." I gave a bitter smile as I face the window. "You know, mom. I've already accepted the fact." I pause. "The fact that I'm not going to survive this War."

"My son is strong. Why is he saying things like this, huh?" She ruffles my hair and hugs me again. "Don't worry. I'll be cheering and praying for you, Luhan."

"I love you mom." I freeze when I see her, and everything else float. "Luhan, I love you too. No matter what."

I am lunged upwards and I cover my eyes from the sudden force.

And I open my eyes, gray walls everywhere.

"Member number five, welcome. Welcome to the 71st labyrinth."

 

 

The Sixth Member: Huang Zitao

 

I am strong. I am brave. I am a foster child. Living alone for eighteen years has filled me with so much pain that the only thing I can do is survive. "Zitao." My training master calls me. "Yes, teacher?"

"Stop training in the middle of the night. You'll get sick." He says. "Master, today's the day. In just three minutes, I will be entering a labyrinth for the War of Eight

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter