Broken Wings

Don't Be Afraid of Me

BAEKHYUN’S POV

I covered my mouth with my hands as I looked at Jaeshin’s back, fighting the urge to cry. He had black wings, rising strongly from his shoulder blades - and then bound tightly down onto his back. They were twisted and bent, the feathers dark and dull, from being held in place for at least 10 years. The leather ties that held them down had spikes along them, digging into the wings and rendering them unable to be moved at all. The shock of this torturous act hit me, and I vowed to find whoever did this to him and to kill them.

"Jaeshin. Who did this to you?" I asked softly, reaching out to touch the wing softly. My hand came away red with blood, and I realized how much pain he was in. I recalled how much my wing had hurt from just one scratch, to have so many must be agony.

"My lady. She says a faerie with wings is an unnatural creature, so she bound them so I would be normal." Jaeshin said quietly, shame coloring his voice. I felt anger rise in my chest like a tide, my vision flickering red for a second. I would find Aurora, and I would kill her...slowly.

"Jaeshin, your wings are a part of you. They’re not unnatural. They’re beautiful." I said. Jaeshin turned, looking at me over his shoulder, a single tear tracking down his cheek.

"Really?" Jaeshin asked. I nodded, turning him back around gently. I took a deep breath, not sure if I had the ability to do what I wished.

"Jaeshin. I’m going to heal your wings, okay? It might be painful, but it will get rid of the agony in the end, I promise." I said. Jaeshin looked back at me again, doubt in his eyes.

"You can do that?" Jaeshin asked. I nodded, my lips, and trying to appear more confident than I felt.

"Just, try to stay still, okay?" I asked. Jaeshin nodded, reaching out and bracing his hands against the wall of the truck.

I reached out carefully, grabbing hold of one section of the leather binding. I tugged on it gently, making Jaeshin hiss in pain as I slowly pulled the long pieces of metal out of his wings. I kept unwinding the piece, freeing the wings little by little. When I was finally done, his wings were trickling red blood and hanging limply by his sides.

"Okay. Here I go." I took a deep breath, raising my hand up and closing my eyes. I pressed it gently to Jaeshin’s upper back, right in between his wings. I reached inside myself again and pushed my magic out, trying to heal his wings.

After a few seconds, I opened my eyes and found nothing had happened. Blood dripped down from under my palm, and I frowned in disappointment.

"I can heal on my own..." Jaeshin offered. I shook my head, determined to try again. I thought for a second, readying myself.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes and taking a second to visualize Jaeshin’s wings. I saw them now, battered and broken and bloody, and imagined what they would look like when I healed them. Massive and glossy with healthy black feathers. I thought of my horror when I saw them, my anger towards Aurora, and I gathered it all up and I pushed. All my anger and my protectiveness rushed directly into Jaeshin’s wings, making him cry out and arch his back in pain.

I poured my soul into the spell, pleading silently in my head for the healthy wings I had envisioned. There was a loud pop as my magic exploded, throwing me back into the wall behind me. My wings cushioned my fall, but it still took me a second to get my bearings.

When I finally stood up, Jaeshin was laying on his stomach on the floor, seemingly unconscious. I rushed forward, quickly checking his pulse and waking him up.

"Did it work?" Jaeshin asked. I looked at the giant wings that rose proudly out of his upper back, lying gently beside him.

"Yes." I nodded. "It worked." I couldn’t help grinning, helping him to his feet. Jaeshin looked back behind him at his wings and I looked carefully at him.

"Your hair changed color though." I said, reaching up to feel his hair impulsively. He frowned, and I showed him a lock of his hair. It was a fine light blonde, almost white, and it went with his white skin and blue eyes strikingly.

"But look at my wings!" Jaeshin exclaimed, smiling widely for the first time since I’d seen him. I did, turning and sinking my fingers gently into the soft, glossy black feathers. He sighed when I dragged my fingernails over his skin underneath, and I was pleased to see we were the same.

"These are the wings you were supposed to have." I smiled at him. Jaeshin embraced me quickly, holding me tightly, careful not to crush my wings.

"Thank you so much." Jaeshin said, smiling down at me. I blushed, stepping back, the closeness of him embarassing me somehow. Jaeshin did the same, apparently still shy of everyone, and I picked up his t-shirt.

"Here." I quickly ripped two holes in the back of his shirt like Tao had done for me, helping him guide his wings through the holes gently.

"Won’t they see them?" Jaeshin asked timidly, still embarrassed about his wings. But I suppose if someone had told me I was an unnatural creature, I would still be embarrassed too.

"They’re used to wings by now." I fluttered my own demonstratively. "Besides, no one will hurt you now."

"What about that one from before?" Jaeshin asked quietly, his eyes darting around quickly. I shrugged, rolling out my shoulders.

"Chen? He won’t hurt you again. He still feels really bad about it. Trust me, I’ll introduce you to everyone, and they’ll accept you fully." I reassured him, patting his shoulder gently. Jaeshin looked over at me, ice blue eyes looking at me trustfully and his slight chubby cheeks puffed out.

"Okay." Jaeshin said. "I trust you."

JAESHIN’S POV

I let Baekhyun lead me from the truck, my wings fluttering behind me. They were heavier now, restored to their full size and weight, and I savored the lack of pain. I trotted through the snow behind Baekhyun carefully, warily watching for more wolves.

We reached a small campfire where about 10 wolves were clustered up, plus some humans and other Occults. They all looked up when Baekhyun and I walked forward, and I tried to tuck my wings down and hide behind Baekhyun.

"Suho, Kris. This is Jaeshin. I would like to ask your permission to have him join the pack. He saved my life, and I have promised him my protection." Baekhyun said, his tone respectful but firm. Two males looked up, and Baekhyun stepped aside so they could see me.

A cold sweat broke out over me as the alphas eyes swept me. They lingered on my wings, then went back to their dinners.

"Of course Baekhyun. He is welcome here." Suho smiled. Kris patted an empty space next to him invitingly, and Baekhyun stepped forward.

"Come on." Baekhyun whispered back to me, grabbing my wrist again gently. I nodded, following him and sitting down carefully. A werewolf with large eyes and a squishy face offered me a plate of dinner and I accepted it carefully.

The same girl who had kissed Chanyeol was on my other side, and she held her hand out to me with a small smile.

"I’m Skye. It’s nice to meet you." she said. I didn’t stare at the scars on her face, only looking at her sweet eyes. They twinkled gently, and I shook her hand carefully.

"Jaeshin." I said. She nodded, giving me another portion of meat. I ate it quickly, deciding I liked this girl. She was nice, and she went around telling me everyone’s names.

By the time we were done eating, it was time to sleep. Baekhyun beckoned me forward, taking me back to the truck and laying down on the wooden floor. Skye and Chanyeol also climbed inside, curling up together a few feet away and falling asleep.

I laid down by myself, curling up in a ball and trying to stop shivering. It was cold in the truck, my bare arms and wings freezing. A sudden warm weight startled me, and I looked up to see a pair of white wings covering me softly. I looked over into Baekhyun’s eyes, blushing when I saw he was covering me up in his sleep. Grateful for the warmth and certain he was asleep, I snuggled closer under my head was resting in the crook between his arm and shoulder and his wings were wrapped warmly around me. Baekhyun clutched me tighter in his sleep, wings covering me protectively, and I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

I didn’t notice the quick flash of Baekhyun’s brown eyes or his protective smile in the dark as he curled around me more.

Three updates in one day, hooyah! I’m burning with inspiration.

Guys, I’m really liking Baekshin. Like, they’re here to stay and I will make you love them! (Jk, I’m not forcing you) But I hope you do like them because I think they’re really sweet together. ^^

Anyway, this chappie’s dedicated to my bae again <3 Wake up soon so we can talk!

Bye guys, be sure to leave a comment on what you think~

-Sujin

<3