Chapter One

Mansions Built Upon Sand
Mansions Built Upon Sand
Chapter One
By: Sharl




Changmin bent at Advanced Potion-Making by Libatius Borage in front of him and frowned. While his hand continued to make notes on Everlasting Elixirs, he couldn’t really concentrate on what he was reading. His mind was somewhat always directed back to his father’s letter.

Deciding that he deserved a break, he closed down the book. It was a N.E.W.T. level book anyway, and for a fifth year student who had just finished his O.W.L., it was alright to procrastinate now and then. After putting the book back to its shelf, Changmin left the library. He made his way back to the dungeon. There was still a bit of time before dinner so maybe he could have taken a shower first. 

Although on a second note, flying does seem like a good idea, he thought as he passed by the Quidditch pitch. 

He himself wasn’t a big Quidditch player. Junsu was their house team’s seeker and he was a fantastic player. He was fast, able to catch the snitch most of the time and thus win the game. Junsu loved flying; he often said that nothing could beat the feeling of a wind on your face as you fly.

Changmin found this to be true. But then again, he loved everything that Junsu loved. Everything that made Junsu happy, Changmin would do whatever he could to make Junsu stay happy. Junsu was the most important person in the world for him. Everything else, everyone else, was secondary. Including that bloody fool of a headmaster, especially that headmaster, who somehow had full custody over Junsu. 

For Merlin’s sake, what the hell Junsu’s parents had been thinking when they left that will?

 

+++




Yoochun headed towards the Great Hall for dinner with trepidation. There was a group of giggling second year Ravenclaw students crowding the entrance and Yoochun scowled. He almost shouted at them to just bloody move away when that…that smell hit him again. 

Bugger. Jung ing Yunho was there already, most probably with his Gryffindor so-called-friends. They had made up this morning, and of course Yoochun, like the bloody stalker that he was, had heard about this first before anybody else did. 

He had hoped that the argument would last longer, but there was no such luck. The last time Jung Yunho had an argument with them, the one before this one, it only stayed for three days until those fake friends of his came apologizing, heads bowed and even some of them really looked sincere. If only Jung Yunho, the Boy-Who-Lived wasn’t so naïve, he’d known that those apologizes were nothing more than attempts to have him on their side. 

Because as stupid as those Gryffindors were, they knew that having Jung Yunho on their side was the most important thing. After all he was the one who had defeated the Dark Lord again and again, until finally he killed him for real last year. Now Jung Yunho, the Boy-Who-Lived, was more famous than ever. 

Yoochun didn’t realize he was blocking the entrance until someone shouted from behind. “Oi! Move your bloody arse away if you don’t want to come in!”

Recognizing the voice, he turned around and replied, “Drink some calming draught Jae, you’re making everyone deaf with your yelling.”

Jaejoong, whose beautiful face was turned into a deep scowl, crossed his arms. A prefect badge with Slytherin symbol glinted cheerfully on his robes, but it was a stark contrast compared to the state he was in. He looked like he just went for a swim, all with his clothes on.

Yoochun, despite his worries earlier, burst into laughter. “What happened to you?”

The prefect’s scowl deepened, if it was possible. “Some stupid third year Slytherins thought it funny to play some pranks on a couple of first year Hufflepuff. They somehow managed to convince the first year that they have put bubble-head charms on them that it was safe to dive in the lake.”

“Let me guess,” a new voice joined them, “they didn’t really put the charms on?”

Jaejoong sighed and turned to face the two newcomers: Changmin and Junsu who had their hands linked. “No Junsu, actually they did, but the spells only lasted for ten minutes instead of fifteen. So in panic, the third year ran to me as their prefect and I had to dive in to bring the first year up.”

Junsu then snickered. “You’re always the perfect prefect, Jae.”

Yoochun decided that there was enough crowding already at the Great Hall’s entrance due to their little conversation. There was a line behind them already, and some of the students had even stood on tiptoes to see what’s blocking the way. “Okay, we should, you know, move.”

They all walked towards the Slytherin table, but not before Changmin put a hot-air charm to Jaejoong so his clothes dried off. Now Jaejoong looked like his beautiful self, not even a hair was out of place; Changmin’s charms always worked. 

Out of habit more than anything else, Yoochun felt his haughty mask fell into place instinctively. And judging from his friend’s straighter posture, he knew then that their own masks were also in place. Changmin’s was arrogance, Jaejoong’s was the perfect student (because someone needed to play this part) and Junsu’s… Junsu’s a bit bipolar. Sometimes it was indifference but some other times he was a social butterfly to put it kindly. 

ty was the other not-so-kind term for that. 

And tonight Junsu played the ty mask really really well. He flirted with almost every nearby students, and even to some of the seventh year and Yoochun watched with amusement as a small ruckus broke out at the Ravenclaw table because Junsu had blown kisses in their directions. He never strayed away from Changmin though, whose arrogant mask was enough to deter anyone who dared flirting back at Junsu. Changmin didn’t say anything, his expression was enough.

Yoochun’s gaze strayed at the Gryffindor table. Jung ing Yunho was there, along with his fellow Gryffindors. Yoochun made a face as that smell hit him again. Trying not to think about the attraction that built up inside him, Yoochun spooned some more of his kidney pie.

Half-vella-half-muggle, Yoochun was a fascinating breed. And this year he found his mate. But from any other available wizards and witches in Hogwarts, why in the name of Merlin, did it have to be the Golden Boy, the Boy-Who-Lived himself as Yoochun’s mate?

“You know, you have to tell him before this year ends.”

“No Changmin, I don’t.”

Changmin sighed and dipped his bread into his pea soup before offering it to Junsu, who gave Changmin a very y look in return. Glancing back at Yoochun, he said, “We still have two years in Hogwarts but you have to be with your mate before then.”

Yoochun didn’t answer because he knew this to be true. Changmin was right. Changmin was always right. It irked him sometimes, but then again Changmin was the smartest student in their year, if not in the whole school. He was only a fifth year student, but somehow he just knew everything, even some things that seventh year don’t. Junsu said that Changmin studied more than anyone else, and had been drilled all the spells and knowledge the moment he knew how to read.

“Anybody wants to get Butterbeer this weekend at Three Broomsticks? It’s Hogsmeade week. What about a visit to Honeydukes?” Jaejoong said later while cleaning up a plate of treacle tart and chocolate pies he had in front of him. Yoochun swore Jaejoong had the worst sweet tooth in the world.

“Can’t. My father wants me and Junsu home for a quick visit.”

At that, Yoochun frowned. “Why?” No one was allowed to visit home unless it’s during holiday. Most parents sent letters and packages from home to their children, or came to visit if there was something really urgent, but never called the children home.

“He didn’t say much, only that he got the permission already from the headmaster.”

Yoochun was about to say more, but at that moment Junsu winked at a sixth year prefect girl that sat next to him a little too friendly, making her blushed and spluttered and giggled. That had Jaejoong sighed and growled in annoyance. 

“Junsu, if this house is being known as herin instead of Slytherin, keep in mind that I know exactly where to find you.”


-End of Chapter One-