VER 2. LUHAN

ιηѕι∂є тнє ƒιяє

VER. 2 FT LUHAN

It was a Friday night and the boys of EXO were getting together for a fun night of games and strange TV shows. It was common for Luhan to attend these gatherings, as he was going to do tonight. Luhan approached the door of the house they were meeting in for this week and knocked quietly before letting himself in. It seemed as though he was late, for the festivities had already began. The card table was full, the television was occupied by Xbox and others were hanging around talking.

“Hey! Glad you decided to show up! Have a drink,” Xiumin said, shoving a drink into Luhan’s hand. It was definitely alcoholic, but it was weak, just the way he wanted it. He took a sip and looked around; he felt strange today, usually he was never late but now that he was he felt like such an outcast.

“Hey Luhan! Come have a seat, we were just talking about the latest fan sign,” Lay called, inviting the man over. Luhan smiled, exactly his type of environment. He ambled over to the couch where Lay, Suho, Chen and Tao were sitting all discussing the latest events. 

“I swear, some fangirls are just so crazy,” Tao commented with a chuckle, causing the others in the group to chuckle as well. Luhan sipped his drink again, holding it in both hands. “Hey man, loosen up a bit. What have you been up to?” Suho encouraged, grabbing his friend gently be the shoulder and shaking him around a bit.

“I don’t know, I just feel weird today. Maybe it’s all that hollering and name screaming in my head,” he laughed. But even though he was trying to keep with the light mood, his face was getting paler by the second.

“Hey, you don’t look so good, you’re so pale. Are you doing okay? Let’s go get some fresh air and talk,” Lay said with a smile before he stood, offering a helping hand to Luhan. They stepped out the back door after Lay excused the both of them and they headed over to the bench on the patio. The cold air felt good on Luhan’s face and he sighed. “Let’s talk. What’s on your mind?” Lay asked concernedly.

“I’ve just been having these weird visions. Do you remember my really good friend in high school? Damn, I can’t remember her name right now, but I’ve been seeing her face in my dreams, in my day dreams, literally all the time. I don’t know why, but I have a feeling like something bad is going to happen, and it involves her.” Luhan sighed, he wasn’t sure Lay would understand. It was strange; he didn’t even want to bring it up anyway.

“Yeah, yeah I remember her. She was a sweet girl. What do you think all of this means? It’s obviously really affecting you,” Lay replied looking over to Luhan whose face had begun to look significantly better.

Luhan sighed again, gripping his cup tighter in his two hands before Lay took it from him, trying to get a good look at Luhan’s face to see what he could have been thinking, but it was fruitless. “Like I said, I don’t know. But it doesn’t feel good, whatever it is.”

Lay sighed as well and looked up to the sky, “I don’t want to tell you what to do, but maybe you should leave a little early tonight and try to get some sleep. I could even take you home if you wanted me to,” he offered.

“That’s kind, but I’ll be alright, driving home won’t be so bad if I leave early. Thanks for coming out here to talk.”

“Sure, I just hope everything is okay with you. If you ever need to talk, you know where to find me,” Lay replied with a small smile and a slight chuckle before the two of them headed inside.

“Hey Luhan! Come join us for a game of BS!” Chanyeol called as Xiumin cleared a chair for him.  Lay nudged him from behind, handing Luhan’s drink back to him before he headed over to the table.

“Chanyeol thinks he can beat everyone at this game, but don’t fall for it… He lies almost every time,” Xiumin said, whispering the last part to Luhan.

“Dude! You’re ruining the game and we haven’t even started!” Baekhyun protested as Xiumin dealt the cards, rolling his eyes at the group of boys.  A couple of rounds went by and Luhan had appeared to be having fun. It was all taking his mind off of his previous thoughts which was really what he needed. Playing games was the best thing he could do right now.

It came around to Chanyeol’s turn again, “Two fours,” he said, laying his cards down. Baekhyun squinted at him while Sehun squinted at the cards. Baekhyun soon squinted at the cards before his eyes went wide open.

“Ya! Chanyeol! I caught you, you liar! Two fours my , you laid down like six cards!” he yelled, picking up Chanyeol’s pile to fan out to the rest of them to look at.  Luhan could only laugh as he laid his hand down face down and took the last sip of his drink. It was the only one he had planned on having that night. While the two across the table settled their difference—which involved much more yelling and butting of heads, literally, than everyone would have liked—Luhan checked the time on his phone. It wasn’t that late, but he planned on leaving soon.

“And this is why Chanyeol always wins,” Xiumin laughed, crossing his arms over his chest as he watched the two.

“Yeah but this time I caught him! He can take those cards and stick them—”

“Anyway, let’s just return to the game. Baekhyun it’s your turn on fives,” Kai said, fanning himself with his hand of cards, practically showing them to everyone at the table; he didn’t seem to care. The game passed quickly and Chen had gotten out first, followed closely by Kris and Xiumin. Luhan forfeited his cards and now it was a battle between Chanyeol, Baekhyun and Sehun.

“Leaving so soon, Luhan?” Xiumin asked, glancing away from his hand of cards to watch the male as he inched closer to the door. Luhan blushed and turned to the older male, nervously scratching his neck.

“Well you see, it’s getting late and I really should get home. I want to be awake enough to drive home. Thanks for having me over!” he replied reasonably. Xiumin chuckled and waved the male off, allowing him to be on his way. He waved goodbye to everyone else—which took much, much longer than he would have liked—before he could get out the door. He fumbled for his car keys, dropping them on the floor a few times in all of his exhaustion before finally making it inside.

He took a moment to take in the feel of his luxury leather seats, getting a little too comfortable and a little sleepier before he shoved the key into the ignition. He knew he was too tired to drive, but it was better than what the others were—heavily intoxicated. Luhan made it a point not to have too much to drink if he knew he would have to drive himself home, but tonight he was extra careful. It was the weekend and he knew he would have to be on high alert if he even thought about making it home safely. There would be a lot of drunk drivers out that night.

After waking himself up a little more, he reversed out of the driveway and through the neighborhood onto a busier street. He was exhausted and yawned what seemed like every five seconds, but he was determined to make it home safely.

Tires squealed and horns blared before the sound of a woman screaming.

Luhan’s car was hit before he could even register entirely what had happened. He saw the oncoming car, but couldn’t form a reaction in time. He threw his hand on his horn and tried to veer out of the way of the car, but when he veered, it only caused him to be broadsided on his side of the car—the front of the other car having hit directly against his driver’s side door.  

Blood had spattered across Luhan’s windshield on the inside; he knew he was seriously injured as he struggled to breath against the airbag that was currently crushing him, though it had just barely begun to deflate. His vision was beginning to be clouded by his own blood; he could feel the warm metallic liquid streaming down his face. Had he fallen asleep while driving? He realized, after forcing his way out of the car with all of the strength he could muster, that he had driven on the wrong side of the road.

He brought his hand up to his head, touching the warm liquid and it easily coated his palm. He knew the injuries were serious so he quickly pulled his cell phone out and called for an ambulance. “Yeah, there’s been a car crash, two are severely injured. Please send help right away,” he said. His voice was already failing him; he could feel that he could barely stand up. He slipped his phone back into his pocket after some reassuring words from the receptionist, telling him that they had ambulances on the way.

His mouth fell open and his eyes went wide as he looked inside the window of the other car. The airbag had been deployed and there was blood on the inside of that car as well, but whoever was in the driver’s seat no more than thirty seconds ago was no longer there. Luhan struggled out of his car, falling to his hands and knees on the street before he was able to stand. Another car had pulled up not but seconds later, but he brushed that off. He wasn’t really concerned about the help that he needed right now, he just wanted to see if whoever was in the other car was okay. He approached the window to see if anyone was inside the car at all, but there was nobody there.

Luhan had experienced so much blood loss in the past minute, he wasn’t sure he was going to make it to see the next day. He let his body fall, but it didn’t fall to the ground, it fell into the caring arms of another human being—another person that Luhan took a few minutes to recognize. “Kim Lina,” he whispered, looking into her eyes.

“Look at me, Luhan. You’re going to be okay, okay? You’re going to make it just hold on, paramedics are on their way,” she tried to reassure him, her soft smooth hand over his face. He knew, deep down in his stomach that this is what he was talking about earlier. He didn’t know what was going to happen, but he knew it wasn’t good and he knew it involved Lina.

“I’m going to die,” he assumed, feeling the life draining out of him by the second. At least it was going to be in the arms of his first love. She looked at him, fear in her eyes as she pushed his hair away from his face. It was caked in blood by now, but she didn’t really care.

“No you’re not. You’re going to live. You’re going to fight hard and you’re going to survive this, do you hear me? You have to live, Luhan, please,” she said, tears welling in her eyes. She wasn’t about to let him die right there in her arms. She held him close to her, not caring if he was dirtying her shirt. If he was going to die, he was going to die close to her heart.  “Dammit, Luhan,” she cried; her tears streaming down her face to soak into his hair.

 Luhan’s eyes closed as he took a deep but rickety breath. Tears now welled in his eyes, too. He could feel that he was going to die, his injuries were too severe. He needed help if he was going to live and he wasn’t very certain that he was going to get it. “I just want you to know, Lina, if I don’t make it—”

“Shh, don’t say that. You’re going to make it, I won’t let you die here,” she interrupted.

He grabbed her arm with all of the strength he could muster. “This is serious, Lina. I want you to know that this is how I would want to die. Not necessarily in a car accident, but in the arms of the woman I have loved since I laid eyes on her. I know we drifted after school, but not once did I stop thinking about you.  I want you to know that even if I die today, I’m happy that yours is the last face I’ll see.”  

She shook her head as his eyes closed, his breaths were shallow, but the only deep ones he took were shaky. He was struggling to breathe. Sirens entered the scene and they rushed to his aid, lifting him into the back of the ambulance with Lina following close behind. She sat with him, holding his hand as the paramedics did what they could do, and that was to stop the bleeding. An oxygen mask soon covered Luhan’s face, pumping his lungs full of air that he was desperately needing now.

“Severe head trauma, a couple of broken bones, collapsed lung,” one of the paramedics listed off to another who was writing it down, scribbling profusely. Lina felt helpless, she literally couldn’t do anything. She wanted so badly to save him, but how could she do it. “He’s going to need a blood transfusion immediately. He’s lost too much blood.”

“I’ll do it,” she said, gripping Luhan’s hand even tighter. “I have O type, take however much you need just please save him.” A paramedic quickly strapped a tourniquet on her arm and drew her blood; he said the amount would do for now before they began the transfusion.

It had been a day or so in the care of a nurse before Luhan finally woke up. The nurse had just been checking on him, making sure he had adequate amounts of everything. “Where am I?” he asked, looking around. His vision was still a little blurry, his body was extremely sore and his ribs hurt like no one’s business.

“You’re home, silly,” she laughed. Luhan looked around the room a little more before finally realizing that it was his house, this was his room and this was his bed. “You’re lucky to be alive, and you’re such a lucky man to have such a wonderful girlfriend. She saved your life you know. You needed an emergency transfusion in the back of the ambulance; it was a good thing she was there.”

“My… girlfriend?” he asked, looking around as he sat up.

“I sent her into the other room while I took care of you. She’s really concerned about you, but I assured her that I would take care of everything,” the nurse replied.

“Can I please see her?” Luhan asked; a tinge of desperation in his voice. Was it who he thought it was? Was he even actually alive? He couldn’t really tell right now. The nurse smiled and nodded before leaving the room, retrieving the girl who saved his life.

The woman thanked the nurse as she entered and Luhan swore, this was the most beautiful he had ever seen her. “You wanted to see me?” she asked as she approached him. He waited for her to get close enough before he brought his mobile arm up and wrapped his hand around her neck, bringing her down to crash his slightly damaged lips against hers. It took a few minutes for Lina to realize what was happening before she relaxed into him. She melted a little bit as she slumped down to sit on the bed next to him. She could feel so much emotion in him, the kiss was intimate and longing and he wanted to do anything but let go.

Finally he pulled away, looking deeply into her eyes before speaking. “You saved my life… Thank you,” he uttered to her.

“I told you I wasn’t going to let you die there. I wasn’t going to let you go,” she replied, through his cleaned hair. It was soft between her fingers and he leaned into her hand, wanting nothing more than to feel her warmth. “Oh and, Luhan?” she questioned, causing him to pick his head up and look at her. She leaned forward to him and whispered in his ear. “I love you,” she said, “and I would like to formally be your girlfriend.”

He pulled back and touched her lips with his ever to slightly. “I would like to formally be your boyfriend, and I love you, Kim Lina,” he replied, touching her cheek tenderly with the back of his fingers. “And I promise to never scare you like that again.”

“Instead of promising not to scare me, why don’t you promise me to not be on the brink of death,” she replied, grabbing his hand to hold it tightly.

“I think I might be able to do that, only if you promise me to hold me like you did even if I’m not dying,” he replied with a wink, his fingers fumbling with hers.

“I think I can also do that,” she replied, leaning in for another gentle brush of their lips.