05

Never Grow Up
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You're in the car on the way to the movies

And you're mortified your mom's dropping you off.

At 14 there's just so much you can't do

And you can't wait to move out someday and call your own shots.

But don't make her drop you off around the block.

Remember that she's getting older too.

And don't lose the way that you dance around in your pj's getting ready for school.

You're in the car on the way to the movies

And you're mortified your hyung's dropping you off.

At 14 there's just so much you can't do

And you can't wait to move out someday and call your own shots.

But don't make him drop you off around the block.

Remember that he's getting older too.

And don't lose the way that you dance around in your pj's getting ready for school.

(7 years later)

 

“Hyung! Oh my god, just let me off here!”

 

Taemin sighed sadly to himself as a very annoyed Minho huffed impatiently.

 

“Minho, it’s pouring down rain outside, why do you-”

 

“All of my friends can drive!”

 

“So? You are not getting sick again, Choi Minho! You just recovered from the pneumonia a couple of days ago!”

 

“Whatever, hyung! Please, just let me off here, I can’t be seen-”

 

“Can’t be seen what, Minho?”

 

Taemin pursed his lips and narrowed his eyes as he continued to creep the car up the road towards the movie theater.

 

Taemin had allowed Minho to go to the movies with a few friends this evening since it was a Friday night and he had finished all of his homework earlier that day. He didn’t trust the boy driving with his friends, though, since they had just gotten their licenses, and he insisted that he drive Minho. Minho, however, was less than enthusiastic about that.

 

“I c-can’t be seen… hyung, come on, I’m late, please just let me ou-”

 

“Not yet, Minho. You can’t be seen what?”

 

Taemin had an idea of what Minho was going to say, but he wanted to see if the latter dared to say it.

 

“I can’t be seen… ugh! All my friends can drive, and if they see you driving me, then-”

 

“Oh, so you don’t want to be seen with me?”

 

Taemin sighed sadly and his heart felt heavier than normal. He pulled to the side of the road, a block away from where the movie theater was.

 

What happened to the Minho who loved his hyung and depended on him? Appreciated him?

 

“H-hyung, it’s not that, I-”

 

“Not another word, Choi Minho,” Taemin hissed. The younger shut up immediately as the elder reached into his pocket to extract his wallet. He pulled out a few bills and practically threw them at his younger brother.

 

“Here. ₩30,000 should pay for your ticket, snacks, and cab ride home.”

 

“W-what?!”

 

“You heard me. Since you obviously can’t stand to be seen with me in public, then you may find your own ride home tonight. I’ll keep the door unlocked until midnight. Come home any later than that, and you’ll be sleeping outside. Now get out of the car, I really don’t want to see you right now.”

 

Taemin looked forward once again as he Minho mumbled a quick “bye” before scurrying out of the car and slamming the door shut. The rain had gotten even heavier than before, and he watched as Minho ran down the sidewalks, having nothing to cover himself from the rain. Taemin slumped back in his seat a little, a single tear rolling down his cheek.

 

Where did I go wrong?

 

“Hey, Minho!”

 

“What’s up, Min?”

 

“Come on, we’re gonna be late!”

 

“I need to buy snacks!”

 

Minho chuckled lightly as he approached his group of friends- Dongwoon, Yoseob, Junhyung, and Doojoon.

 

“Hey guys,” he replied lightly, exchanging high fives with his friends, “sorry I’m late, I had a little quarrel with my brother before I came here…”

 

“Oh, Taesun, right?” Doojoon commented, raising an eyebrow.

 

“Taemin, ,” Minho snapped back, rolling his eyes.

 

As aggravating and annoying as Taemin could be, he was still Minho’s hyung and he loved him very much. Hearing his friends confuse him and Taesun so carelessly not only hurt Minho’s feelings, but it hurt his pride also.

 

“Well, sorrrrryy, it’s hard to remember who’s who when there are two of them,” Doojoon replied, smiling awkwardly as the five of them walked towards the snack bar.

 

“When there were two of them, idiot. It shouldn’t be hard to remember Taemin, seeing as he’s the one who’s still alive,” Minho mumbled in reply, causing the whole group to go silent for a moment. All of his friends knew about what happened to his family when he was younger, and they tried to avoid the topic at all costs because Minho could get very insulted.

 

Yoseob smacked Doojoon upside the head, giving him a “what the ” look. Doojoon awkwardly rubbed his hands together as he muttered a small “sorry…” before Dongwoon finally broke the ice.

 

“So, uh, how do shrimp chips sound to everyone? It’s on me tonight.”

 

Minho’s mind was clouded and distracted that night. He tried to enjoy the movie as much as possible, but the guilt he was feeling in his gut would not go away.

 

I never meant to hurt hyung that much he thought to himself as he watched an action scene from the new Captain America unfold, he’s just so protective of me, but I’m not the same 4 year old he knew before…

 

Still, though, Minho knew how much Taemin cared for him and the reasons he was so protective over Minho. He knew just how much Taemin sacrificed for him- his time, his money, and even his education- just to ensure that Minho grew up healthy, strong, and very, very loved. Unfortunately, as the years went by, Minho began to take his brother’s sacrifices for granted and would sometimes forget to be grateful.

 

Just last week, Taemin took two weeks off of work to stay home and help Minho recover from his bad case of pneumonia. Minho realized, after all that time, that he had not once thanked Taemin for sacrificing himself, once again.

 

God, I’m such a horrible dongsaeng…

 

The guilt in his heart and mind continued to build up until he couldn’t take it any more. About halfway through the movie, Minho stood up and made his way towards the exit.

 

“Chingu, where are you going?” Junhyung whispered as he, too, got up to follow Minho. The latter didn’t reply until the pair were out of the movie theater.

 

“I… I don’t feel well at all,” Minho lied smoothly, “Taemin hyung fixed some old kimchi for dinner, I think it may have been bad…”

 

“Oh, alright then,” Junhyung replied quietly, scratching the back of his neck, “feel better then, Min. Do you want us to tell you the ending later?”

 

“Nah, I can come see it again later,” Minho replied casually as he quickly checked the time on his watch- 10:30, “it’s best I head home now. Sorry about this, I’ll be sure to catch up with you guys later!”

 

“Yeah, alright. See you, Minho!”

 

With those final words, the two friends parted ways. Minho slowly walked towards the theater doors, groaning quietly when he saw that it was pouring down rain.

 

“Hyung was right,” he mumbled to himself as he slipped his phone deep into his pocket so it wouldn’t get too wet, “I really should have brought my rain jacket…”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter