The Beginning

Friend to Stranger to Lover?

 

"Hi, what's your name?" said the little brunette boy.

The little crying blonde boy looked up. "H-h-hyu-hyukjae."

The brunette boy replied "I'm Donghae. Let's be friends."

10 Years Later

Hyukjae POV

     "Donghae, hurry up! We're going to be late!" I yelled. Let me introduce myself. My name is lee Hyukjae, but you can call me Eunhyuk. I guess you can say that I’m skinny but don’t be fooled, I have muscles since I like to workout. I don’t show them off like some people do. I get bullied a lot but I don’t fight back since I’m shy and I don’t have confidence in myself. I have blonde hair and a gummy smile, which I think the noonas find adorable. My family consists of me, my little sister Nini, my mother Ara, and my father Shin. My family is poor but I attend SM Academy, a school for the elite, on a scholarship, thus the reason for my bullying. I’m on the dance team at a local theatre with my best friend, Donghae, and our other friends. My ultimate dream is to become a dancer.

      "Aish, Hyukkie you're walking too fast. At the pace I'm going at already I'm going to fall any time n---Owwwwww!" I looked back and saw Donghae on the ground face first. Let me tell you something about him. Lee Donghae is my best friend and is the same age. We met 10 years ago in the park where he found me crying cause the bullies were making fun of me and calling me monkey. Did I mention that I'm a cry baby? Anyways, Donghae is from a poor family as well and his parents are nice people. He always protects me from bullies and when he heard that I was bullied by someone he always asks who and then after I'm never bothered by them again. I always wondered about that but never mind. He always tells me the truth and he can be kind of a klutz at times. But maybe I should help him up now right?

      "DONGHAE! Are you ok?" I asked while I was running back to him. "I'm okay Hyukkie. It's just a little bruise," I heard him say as I watched a little blood roll down from his lip."Donghae, you're bleeding! We have to get you to the hospital." "NO! I'm really fine Hyukkie. Now let's go, we're going to be late." I watched him as he got up and wiped his lip with a handkerchief. "Are you sure?"I asked since I wasn’t convinced since I am a real worry-wart. "Yeah. Now come on." He said as he started running towards the direction of the academy.

     We arrived at school a few minutes before the gates closed. "We barely made it. We have to start leaving earlier now, Hae." I gasped out. "I agree Hyukkie, I wouldn't want to get detention with Mr.Lee. You know how he is." replied Donghae as he was catching his breath as well. Donghae and I headed to our first class, which was Health. Hae and I have all of our classes together. As we were heading towards the classroom I heard someone shouting me and Hae's names behind us. We both turned around but we couldn't completely turn since we were attacked with a very tight hug.

     "Donghae! Hyukjae! I've missed you guys!", said the boy dressed in a pink shirt and black skinny jeans. You may know who it is but I will tell you. This is our friend Lee Sungmin. He is a few months older than we are and is an aegyo king. He loves bunnies and the color pink. He may seem cute and nice on the outside but he can be mean whenever he needs to be. He is dating our friend Cho Kyuhyun who is in our grade but they love each other nonetheless.

      "Sungmin hyung, you saw us yesterday!" exclaimed Hae, who was looking redder by the minute. "Min hyung, you're squeezing too hard." I told him.

     "Oh, sorry guys. Did you guys just get here?" he asked as he let us go and went back to Kyuhyun's side. We just nodded since we knew we were about to be scolded yet again. "You know that if you get another tardy you're going to get detention with Mr.Lee right?". We nodded again. "Start coming earlier, arasso?" said Min hyung. "Ne, hyung." we both said in unison.

     "Minnie, just leave them be. If they get in trouble let them, they're just too stupid to not get caught." Hae and I glared at Kyuhyun as he was smirking. Let me tell you something about him. His name is Cho 'the devil' Kyuhyun. He's in our grade but he's a year younger than me and Hae. He's a freaking genius and yet he has all of our classes since he could basically choose whatever classes he wants. He looks innocent on the outside but he is really evil. He pulls pranks on people and I should know since me and Hae have been victims to a lot of them. For example, he switched our alarm clocks and made us come 2 hours late, hid all of my strawberry milk and Hae's nemo plushies, and blackmailed us into wearing dresses and going to school like that. Don't get me started on how he managed to do that.

     "Kyu, don't be mean to them. You know they can't help it, they're too childish."Min hyung said in his aegyo voice. "I totally agree my cute Minnie." Kyuhyun said as he kissed the top of Sungmin hyungs head. Hae and I just kept pouting as we watched the sweet couple in front of us talk as though we weren't even there. "Whatever hyung, me and Hyukkie are not childish. Besides you and Kyuhyun are childish as well since you like bunnies and he likes playing games." Hae said. "True but we don't act like we're little kids do we?" Min hyung asked. Now that he said that it's kind of true since me and Hae do act like that sometimes while Min hyung and Kyuhyun act like grown-ups.

     "Oh well, change of topic. We should probably get into the classroom now before we're late. I wouldn't want to get into trouble because of you two. Let's go in Minnie." Kyuhyun pulled Sungmin along with him while me and Hae were left in the hallway gaping at the smirking devil. "Aish, that boy needs to learn some manners, Hae! Doesn't he care that we're older than him? " I burst out in frustration. "I know Hyukkie but you know the only person he has respect for is Sungmin hyung. Come on , let's go." he said as he held my hand and brought me to the classroom. I just followed along since I was already used to his skinship. We held hands all the way to our seats since we also sat next to each other. When we were almost to our seats Sungmin hyung pulled Hae outside the classroom. I wonder what hyung wanted with Hae, I'll just ask him when he comes back. After a minute or two, Hae and hyung came back into the classroom. Hae sat down and he looked sad about something. "Hae are you ok?"  I asked but he was too deep in his thoughts to hear me. "Hae?" I tried again but while shaking him a little. "Huh?" he seemed startled. I repeated my question "Are you ok?". "Oh, yeah I'm fine. I was just thinking about something." He said still a little dazed. "What was it about?" I urged. "It was nothing. I was just thinking about what Sungmin hyung asked me just now. He was wondering if I could hang out with him this weekend. I told him that I wasn't sure." He said finally making eye contact with me. "Oh, why?" I asked. "I guess he wanted to talk to me about how happy his and Kyuhyun's life is." he answered but it felt like it wasn't the whole truth but I don't think I should dig any deeper. I just nodded and paid my attention towards the front since the teacher had already came in.

     "Okay class, we are going to be having a project that we will be representing in front of the class with a partner of your choice. The subject of your presentations will be on things that you are passionate about. The deadline of your project is in 2 months. That is all, I will give you until the end of the period to find your partners and the topic of which you will present. When you have already chosen, come up to my desk and write you and your partner's names and your topic." After Ms.Taeyeon told us, the students started wandering around the classroom asking people to be their partners or deciding on what they were going to talk about.

     "Hae, do you want to be my partner?" I asked even though I already knew what his answer would be. I saw how his face brightened up when his smile grew wide. "Of course Hyukkie! What do you want to do our project on?" he asked as we both thought about what to do. "How about strawberry milk, or nemo things, or the ocean, or..or...or..hmmmmm...." Hae started thinking aloud and a pout formed on his face. Suddenly, an idea came to mind. "I got it, Hae. Why don't we just do our presentation on dancing?" Donghae broke out in a toothy grin. "You're so smart Hyukkie. So how would we present that to the class then?" I already had the answer figured out. "Easy. We'll just talk about our dreams since we both want to be dancers and then we'll demonstrate a few dances." I finished explaining and waited for Hae to say something. He was thinking for like a minute and finally nodded. "That's a great idea. Come on, let's go and sign us up." he said as we both stood up and walked towards Ms.Taeyeon's desk. We stood next to Sungmin hyung and Kyuhyun as they were finishing writing their names down.

     "What are you guys doing your project on, hyung?" Hae asked as he was writing down our names. "We were thinking about doing a presentation about different styles of singing, and then we'd end up singing a duet together at the end. Doesn't it sound romantic!?" Min hyung was grinning dreamily while Kyuhyun was holding a straight face like it was nothing. Sometimes I wonder if he really has feelings for Min hyung but I already know that its true by the way he looks at him. I wish I could have someone to look at like that or be looked at. Now that I think about it, I wonder if Hae has someone that he likes? He never mentions anything about his love life.

     I turned my direction towards Hae and saw him looking at me. "Is there something on my face?"  I asked since he seemed really focused. He blinked a few times and then his face turned a little red. I wonder what's wrong with him? "Nope, there's nothing Hyukkie. I was just thinking how wonderful this project is going to be." he replied while he was already heading back towards our seats. I said goodbye to Min hyung and Kyuhyun and headed back as well. "So! Hae, whose house do you want to do this at?" "I don't know. What about yours Hyuk? Yours feels more homey and comfortable." "Sure, I don't mind, but how come you don't want to do it at yours? Your house is okay too." I watched as he tried to think of a reason. 'Okay, nevermind. We'll do it at my house then." He nodded.

     The bell signaling the end of class rang and all the students got up. I finished packing up my stuff and waited for Donghae to finish his. “Ok, I’m done. Lets go.” Hae said as he got up from his chair and we started heading to our second class, Math. Math wasn’t our best subject but we managed to get by. The only bad thing about the class is that Kyuhyun had that class too, as well as all of our other classes. A few more hours in this hell-hole and then I can get to dance practice.