Chapter 10 | 220115

Being Afflicted

Hyun Ji was in her own world as she drew. The conversations that surrounded her in art class were muted. Hyun Ji was one of the few students who actually cared about the curriculum. Many students simply took up the art course because it was easier compared to the other courses and they wanted to be able to score without putting in much effort. As Hyun Ji drew, her mind traveled elsewhere. The conversation between Namjoon and Jin was still fresh in her mind. She hadn't intended on eavesdropping but making her escape was an option she didn't have. Her brows creased and her face scrunched up each time she replayed the conversation.

"Don't bother trying to hide it, Hyung. I've known for quite a while now. It didn't take much for me to figure out that you have split personality." Hyun Ji recalled.

Split Personality. Hyun Ji thought to herself as she continued to draw, only to realize she was done. Putting her pencil aside, she took a look at the image only to have shock registered into her brain. On the piece of paper was a drawing of a guy staring into a mirror. The guy had mixed expressions on his face. Sadness, fear, anger and confusion. Hyun Ji's eyes made its way to the guy's reflection and it didn't take Hyun Ji long to figure out his expression. Hatred. Anger. Twisted. Hyun Ji furrowed her eyebrows, wondering who the guy in her drawing was. 

Taking a closer look, Hyun Ji regretted even asking herself such a question. The guy was none other than Jin, himself. 

Hyun Ji's eyes widened upon the realization as she stared at her drawing. Her eyes paid no attention to the image of Jin but rather his reflection. Her heart palpitated as her lips grew dry. For some odd reason, her hands were trembling. Right then, a question flashed in her mind, waiting for an answer that would never come.

That side of him, the side he has never revealed, what would be the trigger?

She replayed the conversation between Jin and Namjoon once more in her mind.

 

"How did you know?" Jin asked after a moment of silence.

"I just do." Namjoon replied.

"Do the others know?" Jin questioned.

 

Hyun Ji's mind came to a halt.

He didn't tell his friends. Why didn't he tell his friends? Hyun Ji thought to herself as she continued to stare at the drawing. Could it be that he's afraid? Afraid of what people would think of him? Afraid of whether he'd still be treated as an equal? Afraid like me?

≈♦♦♦≈

A knock came on the door of Jimin's room. 

"Come in," Jimin said without taking his eyes of the television. The door opened, revealing a figure..

"Jimin-ah," the sound of his mother's voice caught his attention. Turning away from his television, he kicked his legs to the side of his bed as he sat up.

"Yes, Umma?" 

"Where did your sister go?" Upon the mention of  his sister, Jimin scoffed. The anger that dissipated from his heart earlier on returned as he recalled Ji Hae's words.

"She probably went running. Don't worry, Umma. She's sulking with me. We had an argument," Jimin waved it off.

"But Jimin-ah, how long has she been gone? It's already eleven." Hearing that, Jimin's gaze flew towards the clock as he confirmed the time. Alarm rose within him as he got off his bed and grabbed his jacket.

"I'll go look for her," Jimin uttered as he passed his mother and ran down the stairs. Closing the door behind him, Jimin jogged down the usual route Ji Hae took whenever she went running. His heart raced but he knew it wasn't due to his jogging. Jimin gritted his teeth.

"You idiot, how far did you run?"

 

Jimin jolted upwards and fell back in his seat as he woke up from his dream, panting. Tears were b in his eyes as he took quick breaths. His body trembled and his lips quivered. 

"Jimin-ah, are you okay?" Yoongi's voice caused him to snap up as it hit him. He wasn't alone. He was in the canteen, with his friends, at their usual table. He had decided to take a quick nap but he wished he hadn't made that decision. Picking up his tray, he hurriedly stood up.

"I'm going to class. I haven't finished my homework." Jimin muttered with a straight face as he rushed past them, disposed his food, returned his tray and left the canteen with his head hung low.

Every one of them stared at the canteen exit but shared different thoughts. 

Since when has he ever done homework? Jungkook thought as he cocked his head. 

He didn't answer my question. Yoongi thought.

Namjoon furrowed his brows as he chewed on his food, heaving a sigh as he shifted his gaze to his plate.

 

Bursting into the toilet, Jimin ran into a cubicle, locking it behind him. Slowly, Jimin collapsed onto the floor with tears streaming down his cheeks. Pulling his knees into his chest, Jimin ran his fingers through his hair as he rocked back and forth. His heart clenched as he remembered his dream. He remembered how he didn't even bother to check how long his sister had been gone. He remembered how he thought she was okay. He remembered telling his mother not to worry. He remembered telling his mother he'd find her.

And he did.

 

Jimin was starting to get worried. It had been thirty minutes and his sister was nowhere to be found. Increasing his speed, Jimin went further down the lane, his heart drumming in his ears as he huffed. It was starting to drizzle but Jimin kept going. His body shivered as cold gusts of wind blew against him. He had to squint to see since the lamp posts that lined the pathway were rather dim and weren't helping his situation at all.

Jimin stopped in his tracks to checked his phone. No missed calls from home. No missed calls from Ji Hae. No text messages. Nothing. Instantly, Jimin dialled his sister's number, hoping she'd pick up. However, his hopes were crushed as the call went unanswered. Looking up from his phone, Jimin looked into the darkness of the long winding pathway, gritting his teeth as raindrops trickled down his face. Sliding his phone into his pocket, Jimin continued on his search for his sister. His heart told him something wasn't right but he refused to listen. With every step he took, he sped up and eventually began to run.

Minutes passed and Jimin was desperate for a sign, any sign to assure him his sister was okay. Just then, something in the distance caught his attention. Slowing down his pace, Jimin approached the figure hesitantly. His heart began to race without him knowing the reason. Fear began to rise within him the closer he got to the figure. At that moment, Jimin came to a halt and he felt his heart drop as he recognized the figure.

Lying on the ground completely unconscious was Ji Hae. Her head was on a rock as blood flowed out from the side of her head. Tears began to brim in Jimin's eyes as his hands shook. Slowly, Jimin fell to his knees, his eyes never leaving her figure. 

"Ji Hae-ah" Jimin choked as tears began to fall. Crawling towards his sister, he cradled her in his arms and pulled her close to his chest. Just like that, he felt his world fall apart as he cried, shaking her and calling out her name every now and then. His shoulders shook as he wailed and his throat began to hurt. Rain began to pour but he made no attempt to move. Waves of regret came crashing in.

"This is all my fault." The words came out filled with hate and anger. He hated himself for doing what he did and he was mad at himself for being oblivious.

With a trembling hand, Jimin reached for his phone and called for an ambulance, his gaze never leaving his sister's face. His free hand traveled to her cheek as he caressed it with his thumb, tears streaming down his face.

≈♦♦♦≈

Closing the house door behind her, Hyun Ji shoved her hands into her jacket as she walked down the usual route she took to her usual park bench. Her gaze was directed at the floor though her thoughts were elsewhere. The drawing she had done earlier of Jin was still in her mind as she kept asking the same questions again and again without getting any answers. Without knowing it, Hyun Ji had already reached the bench. Looking up from the ground, Hyun Ji was met with a pair of familiar eyes. The familiar figure seated on the bench pulled the corners of his lips into a warm smile and she found herself doing the same.

"Hey," Howon said.

"Hey." Hyun Ji replied, warmth radiating within her as she sat down.

"So, how was your day today?" Howon asked, turning his head to face her. Even though he knew the answer Hyun Ji would give, which was a simple shrug, Howon still kept his attention on her. His eyes twinkled as he took in her side profile. Upon seeing Hyun Ji shrug like she usually did, Howon scoffed into a smile, prepared to fill up the void in their conversations.

"Well, as for me, today has been a rather good day," Howon beamed. Hyun Ji turned to him and tilted her head - the cue for Howon to keep going.

"Well, for a start, I've completed my choreography. Not only that but I got the best score among all of the students taking the dance course," Howon said with so much enthusiasm. Upon hearing that, Hyun Ji raised her brows, the expression in her eyes changing. Howon knew he had gotten her attention.

"Yeah, he said my choreography was beyond his standards. He even said that my choreography was, and I quote, put together with such great precision, technique and emotions that every single move basked in its own uniqueness," Howon went on, using his mediocre "teacher" voice as he pushed his invisible glasses up, which caused Hyun Ji to let out a chuckle. Seeing that, Howon too laughed.

"Okay, that definitely was not an accurate impression of my dance teacher. I'm not playing around when I say that he is one heck of a cool teacher, and he doesn't wear glasses. And he is definitely younger than I make it out to be," Howon said, grinning sheepishly as they both shared another moment of laughter. In the midst of that, whenever he had the chance, Howon would glance at Hyun Ji and smile to himself.

I don't know why but seeing you like this makes me happier than I usually am. 

Howon continued to tell Hyun Ji about his day, making her laugh whenever he could, and Hyun Ji continued to listen. The pair kept the attention on each other, their gaze only on the other's eyes. Everything else was blocked out. It was as though the two shared their own world, their own sanctuary. As Howon talked, Hyun Ji couldn't help but to feel the warmth within radiating even more. She felt a particular feeling in her heart that was completely foreign to her but even so, she didn't do anything to prevent that feeling. It felt nice.

If only she knew that such a feeling went by the name Happiness.

 

"Howon?" 

"Hmm?" Howon turned to look at her, surprised by her sudden mention of his name.

"Do you know anything about split personality?" Howon was taken aback by such a question coming from a girl who barely spoke whenever they met. Noting the change in his expression, Hyun Ji regretted even saying anything.

"Sorry, I, never mind, don't answer that," Hyun Ji said, stuttering along the way.

"No, no it's okay. I, I was just surprised, that's all," Howon lied. 

I can see that. Hyun Ji thought. Great job, Hyun Ji. You probably just scared off the only person you've talked to.

Hyun Ji was expecting Howon to come up with an excuse to leave and never come back. She was expecting the atmosphere to turn really awkward and tense. She expected him to not even want to talk to him anymore. But none of her expectations were met.

"Yeah, I know a thing or two about split personality. What would you like to know?" Hyun Ji's shifted to his gaze as her eyes widened. Clearly, she made the wrong assumptions.

What? Hyun Ji questioned in her mind, unsure of why Howon was still there. Her eyes scanned his face for anything along the lines of oh-my-god-get-me-out-of-here but all she saw was sincerity. 

He's staying. Hyun Ji thought. He actually wants to stay.

Just like that, a small smile made its way upon her lips as she said, "Nothing in particular. Just tell me what you know."

Putting his thumb and index finger on his chin, he rubbed it with his finger as his gaze was lifted slightly upwards in thought.

"Hmm, well, based on what I know, split personality is a simpler term for Dissociative Identity Disorder. Anyone with that disorder has a lack of connection with his or her person's thoughts, memories, feelings, actions or sense of identity. In rare cases, the person has more than two identities or personalities but in most cases, the person only has two identities or personalities. Their other personalities are often the opposite of their actual personality, the kind of personalities they never wish to have. These people often believe that they are battling their other personalities. They often think that their other personalities are competing for control over their own bodies. Hmm, I don't the possible causes of split personality though one of them is due to trauma of some sort. And well, that's about as much as I know," Howon said as Hyun Ji let everything sink in. With every sentence Howon said, Hyun Ji picked out the important words.

Opposite of their actual personality. Battling their own personalities. Competing for control over their own bodies. Trauma. 

Turning to Howon, Hyun Ji thanked him. Howon wanted to question the purpose of her question. He wanted to ask her why split personality mattered to her. He had so many questions lingering in his mind and he was dying to ask them but he bit back his tongue, knowing she wouldn't be willing to tell him anything just yet. So as to not force her into saying something she didn't want to, Howon simply smiled and said, "You're welcome."

A moment of silence filled the air as the two were occupied in their own thoughts. Just then, Hyun Ji pointed towards the sky with a sudden change of expression on her face.

"Look, an Andromeda constellation." Hyun Ji pointed out. Howon followed her gaze and upon spotting the constellation, he felt warmth bubbling in his heart as he broke into a smile and shifted his gaze to her. 

"You remembered."


 

A/N: Well, here you go, another update for my supportive readers! :) 

I hope the wait wasn't too long though. I'm doing the best I can to find time to update. Apparently, I was able to work on an update tonight as I need not go to school tomorrow. Why? Because I have a heart check-up to go to so wish me good luck and pray for me that there isn't anything wrong okay? :)

Anyway, hope you like the update! Do share your thoughts and opinions with me, I'd love to read them and they keep me going hehe

​Well not only that but I need some cheering up because my phone decided to do somersaults in mid-air and landed on the side of the drain at my school. Basically my battery fell into the drain (I got it out) and my phone screen is cracked. My phone keeps going haywire and has a life of its own. No, I can't get a new phone. Well, maybe not till I do well for my Prelims 1, which is in 4 months time so wish me the best okay? My phone is one of the things that actually meant a lot to me :(

Thank you so much for the 100 upvotes and 366 subs! You have no idea how much it made my day :')

P.S. I'll proofread tomorrow because I'm so exhausted now haha

- RedGuitarist