Chapter 4

Just A Little Help

14 February

Tina glanced around the office. It was a laid back morning and the staff was in a cheerful mood. Small chocolates were placed on each and every staff member's table as a small token in celebration of the occasion. In addition, when everyone switched on their computers, all their desktop backgrounds were swapped with a valentines day greeting, complete with its pink and red colours.

Welfare must have thought real hard to do this...

Tina shook her head as she watched her sister stand next to Hyuna's table, along with a few other girls, giggling as they admired the huge bouquet of roses Hyuna received moments earlier.

"If getting married means I'm getting flowers every year, I'm proposing to Hyungsik soon." Jiyeon joked as she the teddy bear that was in the middle of the bouquet.

"Noted, I'll warn him when I see him in the cafeteria later."

The girls turned around and laughed and made a space for Tina to join in their huddle.

"Its times like these when I wish I had a boyfriend." Mina sighed as she wrapped her arms around herself, her mind instantaneously going to Kyuhyun.

"If you'd only stop being so picky, you'd be happily attached now."

 Mina pouted as her friends and sister .

"The ocean is so vast, but you insist on looking for the one fish that's on the verge of extinction."

"No," Tina countered, " she has already found the fish and the fish has seen her. But they're just not doing anything to come together...Maybe you guys could give my dear sister a push?"

Mina nudged her older sister and rolled her eyes as Jiyeon, Sohee, Dasom and Hyuna began catcalling.

Mina's wide-eyed affections for their boss wasn't a secret. The whole accounts team knew of her attraction to Kyuhyun but only began to about it when it became apparent that Mina's feelings weren't one sided. In the recent months, Kyuhyun had initiated many conversations with Mina in front of the rest of the staff. If one were to listen in carefully, he'd hear that the topic wasn't even anything accounts- related. On Mina's birthday, he bought lunch for the whole floor and gave Mina the afternoon off. Of course, Mina declined and chose to remain in the office and continued with her work as per usual.

"He's obviously attracted to you, just like how you're so overly smitten with him."

The accounts team, in addition to her sister, had been telling Mina the same line but she refuses to believe it. She'd reason that he was just being a nice boss, a friendly and caring one, and that she shouldn't read too much into his actions.

She had always chastised her sister for over-thinking but at night, just before she goes to bed, she can't help but wonder "What if Kyuhyun really does like me?"

But as soon as the thought enters, she chases it away quickly, telling herself that there's no way in hell Kyuhyun- who's just so perfect in every way- will ever be romantically interested in her. After that, she'll just force herself to sleep.

"I'll gladly buy all of your diving supplies and pay for the boat to bring you to the almost-extinct fish." Dasom offered as the rest began laughing again.

"Aren't you guys taking her fishing analogy a little too seriously?" Mina scrunched up her face as she tried to change the topic. "Do you think these chocolates are his idea or Welfare's? I mean... Nori has been with us for years but this is the first time we're getting chocolates."

"Yes, we know Mr Yummy is sweet, thoughtful and romantic. Its definitely his idea."

Rolling her eyes, Mina looked at the clock and realized she bad been standing there with the girls for the last twenty minutes.

"We'd better return to our tables. Its almost lunch time and we barely got anything started."

The girls obliged and returned to their corners, with the exception of Tina who followed her younger sister to her table.

"Don't you have any work to do?"

"Not really. I've just gotta send valentine flowers on the Director's behalf..."

Mina raised an eyebrow, "Flowers?"

Smiling mischievously, Tina nodded. "To a Miss Cho Ahra."

"That's his older sister." Mina said matter-of-factly, determined to keep a poker face.

"Oh, I know. I was just anticipating if I could get a reaction from you."

Rolling at her eyes at her sister's childishness, Mina returned to working on the public financial report.

Tina left her sister, smiling to herself as she thought of her plan.

If I don't get both of you together by tomorrow, my name would no longer be Hwa Tina.

Tina made a detour to her table and picked up a wrapped package from her bag before proceeding to Kyuhyun's office. She entered and made sure Kyuhyun looked up at her before speaking.

This, shall be the spark to start things. Please use it well, Kyuhyun.

"Sir, I saw this outside your door. It has your name on it though."

Curious, Kyuhyun dropped his pen and held the package in his hands.

"Weren't you girls just standing around there a while ago? You didn't see who left it?" Kyuhyun asked good-naturedly.

Feigning embarrassment, Tina shook her head. "We were admiring Hyuna's flowers. No one walked passed your door either. But I was downstairs earlier so I don't know if anyone could have left it when I was gone."

Kyuhyun nodded thoughtfully and examined package. It was box-like and slightly bigger than his hand with a small card stuck to side. Kyuhyun opened the card.

Happy Hearts Day, boss! I hope I got the size right ;)

Tina inched forward and read the card and was unable to withhold her laughter as Kyuhyun gave her an even more curious stare.

"I'm considering not opening this. It might be from some stalker..."

"Oh come on sir, she has to pass our tight security and our ultra-fierce receptionist to be able to enter the lifts. It's probably one of your many admirers in the office..."

"Many?" Kyuhyun asked incredulously, a pink tinge forming on his cheeks.

"Don't be so oblivious sir, this whole floor, with the exception of the guys, me and Hyuna, think you're gorgeous."

Shaking his head, Kyuhyun smiled and pointed to his eyes. "Of course I know I'm gorgeous. Do you know how much did I pay my Doctor for these?"

Tina gave a gasp of surprise, slightly horrified with what she heard.

"I'm kidding. Did you really think I went under the knife?"

Tina shrugged as Kyuhyun laughed at her, repeating that his face was all natural, except for the BB cream his mother insists he puts on everyday.

"Well, I'll return to my work. If you don't mind, I'd like to know what your secret admirer get you."

Narrowing his eyes at his personal assistant, he shooed her out of his office.

Soon, it was lunch time and the sisters had earlier decided to avoid the restaurants in the vicinity as it was bound to be filled with couples who had nothing else to do but make googly eyes at each other.

"This salad looks its been here for days..." Tina complained as she picked on the various vegetables.

Mina took a bite of her burger and looked around the cafeteria. "I didn't know we had so many inter-department couples." Her eyes passed by Hyuna and Hyunseung, who was from Welfare, Jiyeon and Hyungsik and a few other couples whom Mina knew by face but not by name.

"I'm glad I found Allan elsewhere. It has got to be suffocating to be working in such close vicinity. Can't even breathe..."

It was precisely because of her sister's independence that Mina found it odd that her sister finally agreed to date someone. Tina had her string of boyfriends but she always felt like she was being shortchanged, not feeling entirely happy whenever she was with someone.

But I guess it helps that Allan is Irish. That y accent is enough to make me swoon. Almost though. He can't beat Kyuhyun's perfection...Speaking of Allan...

"So did you give Allan the boxers we picked... I hope he likes the strawberry one. Its your favorite fruit."

Tina looked confused for a moment, before remembering the supposed boxers.

"Its our favorite fruit." Tina corrected, happy that this piece of information proved useful. "Yeah, I gave them to him this morning. He hasn't opened the box yet though..." Tina lied, grateful that her sister was too focused on her burger to notice her slip.

 

Meanwhile in Kyuhyun's office...

Kyuhyun studied the red package as he wondered what could be inside.

He was curious as to who could have given that to him and what could be inside; but along with that curiosity was anxiety.

What if its from Mina? She may have been too shy to do it herself...

Kyuhyun didn't want to admit it to anyone, but he did find his head accountant cute. When they first met, she didn't leave much of an impression on him because of her shyness. But after that day he helped her with the budget discrepancy and their dinner afterwards, he found himself drawn to her as he learnt more about her. He admired how bubbly she could be, despite the initial shyness, and how down-to-earth she was. She never treated him as a superior, but as a friend, someone she could feel comfortable with. She never held back her opinions, and they often debated about mundane events and wasn't shy to point out the need for Kyuhyun to change the vocabulary he used in his speech if he wanted to be understood. The attraction soon began growing, gnawing at the pits of his stomach everytime he saw her. Kyuhyun knew he had it bad for her, and he did hear rumors about Mina harboring a crush on him. But he never had the courage to tell her about it. Despite the successful and confident exterior he often shows, deep down he fears that those rumors are indeed just rumors and he didn't want to make a fool out of himself, especially since they were working in such close quarters.

Kyuhyun continued studying the gift, curiosity eating the very life of him.

Oh be damned. I'm opening it.

Slowly, he ripped apart the red packaging and pulled out the box. Taking a deep breath, he shut his eyes and opened the lid. Once the lid was removed, he opened his eyes.

Inside were a pair of satin boxers. Strawberry prints, satin boxers.

Kyuhyun was initially amused, thinking that this could have been an act of revenge done by the Welfare department as he suggested that they should give the whole office chocolates on Valentines Day, resulting in the staff of the department having to arrive early in the morning to distribute the chocolates on each table.

But then he realized the prints.

Strawberries...Why does this sound so familiar? Whose favorite fruit was it?

Loosening his tie, Kyuhyun thought hard and looked aimlessly through his office window, his eyes falling onto Mina's empty table.

Mina. Strawberries. Her favorite fruit.

Kyuhyun shook his head and urged himself to think rationally.

Don't be an idiot, Cho Kyuhyun. Just because you want it to be her doesn't mean it is her...

But the more Kyuhyun thought about it, the more it made sense that his secret admirer was Mina. There wasn't anyone else in the office who could be the culprit. Other than Tina and the other department heads, Kyuhyun rarely knew anyone on a personal level. He often saw the few accountants in the pantry but he was positive that most of them were either attached or married or were males.

It had to be Mina.

But boxers???

Kyuhyun felt himself flush as he felt his stomach muscles constrict. No one ever bought him boxers before, not even his parents. He admired her bravery and cheekiness and decided there and then that tonight was the time he had to face his feelings, and by doing that he had to face her.

But how do I get her alone?

Returning to his desk, he opened his email account and began typing a new email.

Dear Ms Hwa,

I apologize for the last minute notice. I would require your assistance in an urgent matter tonight. Would it be possible that you help me with the new accounting software? I've been trying to access the system but each time I enter something, it crashes. I need to learn to access it, especially when I'm doing a meeting with the shareholders. If you have no plans and are willing to help, please revert.

Thank you and Happy Hearts Day to you! :)

Cho Kyuhyun (Director)

Kyuhyun reread the email and hoped it wasn't a see-through. He had no issues with the new software, and he definitely knew how to work it during a shareholder's meeting. But it seemed the most legitimate reason to get her alone without raising suspicion. Since most of the staff had dates to go to, he knew the office was going to be empty in record time.

The easy part's done...now what am I going to tell her later?

Kyuhyun began pacing his office and racked his brains. His mind went to the few chick flicks he ever watched and thought maybe he could confess in similar manners. Her cringed as he remembered how cheesy some of those scenes were and closed his eyes. He had to do it his way.

After lunch, Mina trudged back to her table alone while her sister chatted excitedly on the phone. Allan had called just minutes earlier and they were confirming their plans for the night.

Mina did feel a tinge of jealousy that she was going to be alone that night, while her sister was going on a date and possibly not return home.

Maybe its time I start looking at guys within my reach...

She switched on her laptop and clicked on the email notification on the screen.

Her eyes widened as she read Kyuhyun's email.

She immediately felt bummed that he had wanted her help with the new software. She knew it was slightly trickier and harder to use compared to the previous one but to spend Valentines night over accounts instead of dinner, Mina wasn't so sure. She read the email again, slowly the second time and stopped at the last line.

Happy Hearts Day... I thought only I used that. 

Mina always found it a hassle to say the proper term and being the lazy girl she was, she shortened it to 'hearts' instead. She felt her heart flutter at the thought that she and Kyuhyun both had another shared similarity and began typing her reply.

Its always nice to see him even though, this time, it'll be for work.

After sending her reply, she returned to the accounting ledgers and waited for time to pass.

The office began emptying at around ten minutes to six. Hyuna left first and soon, Jiyeon and the rest began packing up and leaving the room.

Tina finally stood up and went into Kyuhyun's room to remind him of his schedules for the next day.

"...And then that's it."

Kyuhyun nodded and thanked her as he took down what she said on his own notepad.

"So sir, have you figured out who gave you the gift?" Tina asked innocently. "And what's inside?"

"I think I have an idea of who she is. And no, I'm not telling you what's inside. It's for me and my admirer to know."

That's what you think.

Tina smirked at her boss when he returned to writing on the writing pad. Unbeknownst to her, Kyuhyun was wishing for her to leave soon.

"Alright then, I'm done for the day. I'll be going."

Tina left the room and waved at her sister before she made her way to the lift lobby. Kyuhyun waited for a couple of minutes before he stood up. He could feel his heart hammering loudly inside his chest and the cold sweat that was suddenly trickling down the back of his neck.

Its do... or die. 

He tried to keep his voice as calm as possible as he opened his door and popped his head into the corridor.

"Mina, I'm ready for my lesson."