Day 4 Fun

I Will Protect You ©

69. DAY 4 FUN

 

We had a tough time waking up the next morning. After little sleep during the preceding nights, our bodies were demanding more rest. We ignored the alarm and woke up only with the incessant door knocks by the kids. Puppy opened the door as I snuggled into our pillow for a few more minutes.

Byong jumped under the covers with me, “Ummappa wake up. Hee umma dressed me. How do I look?”

I nuzzled his face sleepily, “You look very handsome baby just like your appa.”

“Appa you are not dressed? We’ll be late.” I heard Minx scold her father.

Sehun picked up the camera from the table and clicked a few photographs of the morning mayhem in our room. Then he focused on Minx and she began posing while he continued to click.

I closed my eyes again and heard puppy round up our kids and move them out of the room, “Tokki I will ask imo to look after them while we dress.”

He returned after a few minutes and kissed me deep, a surefire way to wake me up. “Hmmmm love you jagi. Good morning!”

“Love you too yeobo. You smell so good in the morning.”

“Fishing for compliments? Half of the good smell is you.” I pulled him on the bed with me and snuggled into him. “Why don’t we send the others out today and stay in?”

He laughed. God, eight years and it still sent shivers down my spine. “Get up and dress. You will like today’s trip. We’ll stay in bed all night if you want. Come on, we’ll shower together.” He pulled me to my feet and to the bathroom.

A shower quickie really perked me up and puppy grinned at me as I prepared kids’ backpacks and my bag for the day. I went over to him and bit his shoulder. “Stop laughing at me. You are a very naughty puppy.”

“Always, for you.”

We kissed just before opening our room door to see the kids getting ready to knock our door again. We checked on them, and walked down for breakfast. We fed the kids, while they tried to guess the day’s trip.

Loading into the tour coach, we set off for our day at Hoover Dam. Our guide gave us a lot of information before we reached it. We all gasped at the first sight. Puppy was right, Hoover Dam was not to be missed.

We first had a guided tour of the insides of the dam where power was generated. It was truly an eye opener. Not just Sehun and Kai but we adults also took the whole tour with our mouths wide open.

We somehow persuaded Kibum to take a walk with us on top of the dam. He hung on to uncle and Taemin while the kids bounced ahead of him. In the middle, Tae stopped and leaned over the side rails. He kept repeating it till the guide warned him to stop or he will be escorted off by security. Uncle whacked Tae on his head to make him behave. When would he grow up? Puppy and I grinned at each other.

We next walked to Lake Mead that was created by the Hoover Dam. Kids jumped in joy on hearing we’d take a cruise on the lake. Kai elbowed Amber and she looked closely at her father and Hyukkie holding hands. We catcalled as she walked over to them and broke them apart to stand in between them. DongHae frowned at her but Hyukkie smiled wide and took off her hat to ruffle her hair. He complimented her choice of new clothes and new style.

She had persuaded Heechul to buy her a cowboy wardrobe during the shopping trip.

“Sweetpea we’ll go and get you a suitable haircut once we return to Korea. Your long hair are not going too well with these boyish clothes.” Hyukkie promised a smiling Amber.

“Don’t you dare cut your hair Amber. I will stop your pocket money. You are a girl and should look like a girl.” DongHae frowned at both of them.

Her face fell. Hyukkie took one look at her and touched DongHae’s elbow, “Hyung, what’s wrong with her looks? I think she is looking sensational. She will be a trendsetter with her new style. It is just outward appearance. It is not going to make her any less of a girl. She has her whole life to look like a girl. You need to understand her silent wishes also hyung.”

“No, I cannot permit such a change Hyukkie baby.” DongHae shook his head in a firm no.

“What? Appa what did you call him? Baby? Appa? How could you appa?” Amber began whining loudly, looking even more distressed than before.

We surrounded them, grinning and wondering how DongHae would handle the situation. The cool and calm man was seldom caught off guard.  

“Right hyung. I am a man. How can you call me baby?” Hyukkie protested along with Amber. She looked at him questioningly.

DongHae looked from one to the other, gauging the situation. “It was a slip of tongue. I meant to call you honey pie Hyukkie. Or would you like me to call you sweetheart, darling, sugar, sweety? Take your pick. What do you think Amber?”

“I am a man hyung. You cannot give me a girly name. I am Hyukkie. And that’s all you can call me.” Hyukkie protested. Amber nodded her agreement.

“Awwww Hyukkie. If you let me call you baby till we return to Korea, I will allow you to take Amber for any kind of haircut.” DongHae smirked.

Hyukkie looked at DongHae then at Amber and back again.

“Come on Hyukkie oppa it’s only for a few days. Please, please, for my sake agree. Appa will allow me the hair cut then. It’s just a word, it’s not going to turn you into a girl. Please oppa.” Amber pleaded with Hyukkie, her indignation at the relationship forgotten. 

We all looked at each other. We were watching a master play two people simultaneously.

Hyukkie looked miserably from pleading Amber to her smirking father. He slowly nodded his agreement, still looking uncertain.  

Amber squealed and hugged him. “Thank you oppa. You are the best oppa in the world.”

DongHae grinned and hugged him as well. We watched as the three of them had a group hug then separated and walked on with Hyukkie in the middle holding hands with Amber and DongHae on either side of him.

Uncle looked speculatively at imo and Leeteuk. “Dae Hei?” He called her and walked on separating her from Soo and Jiyeon. We could see him talking softly with her. Soo looked apprehensively at Doc who smiled reassuringly at her.

Tae the brat called out loudly, “Soo let’s see if uncle can wield same magic with imo for you.”

Before Soo could reply, we heard a loud squawk from imo.

“What? No way. She is still a kid. She is not getting married till she is over 25.”

Uncle said something to her. We again heard her clearly.

“So what if I was her age when we got married. My mother was stupid. I was stupid.”

Uncle again said something.

“No, I did not mean it that way and you know it. I love being married to you. It’s the smartest decision of my life.”

Uncle kept speaking in too low a voice. We heard only imo’s responses to him.

“How can you be so mean to me? You know I married you because I loved you. I still love you.”

“But she has to complete her studies.”

“Oh yes, Leeteuk is a very nice man. I really like him a lot.”

“Of course he will keep any girl he marries very happy. He will make a great husband.”

“Of course I want Soo to be as happy as I am. If she loves a good man, I will support her all the way.”

“What? He is too old for Soo.”

“Yes, yes, I know. I said I want her to be happy like me. Leeteuk?”

“Yes, he can introduce nice young doctors for Jiyeon. But only when she is 25. I don’t want both my daughters marrying young.”

“He has to allow her to do her MBA even after marriage. And no children till she is through with her studies.”

Siwon, puppy and I gathered around Doc and began thumping his back in congratulations. He blushed deep red and spluttered his thanks. Tae, Heechul, Kibum, Jiyeon, Kai and Sehun began teasing Soo who was just as red as Doc.

We all had boarded the cruise boat but everything else was forgotten in our family drama. We finally left Doc and Soo alone and began to enjoy the scenic beauty of our short cruise.

Puppy picked up Byong so he could see and whoop at the water and chatter nonstop. Duckie pulled my pants asking to be picked up. I picked her up and seated her on my shoulders, Byong and Duckie talked in their own language with each other. Minx and Sehun walked over to us and stood beside us talking to the children.

Puppy and I put an arm around Minx and Sehun and smiled at each other in contentment. Our feelings at that moment couldn’t be described. We wished our small family to remain happy for life the way it was at that moment.

After the cruise, we had lunch at the lake shore. There was a lot of ribbing going around during lunch. Amber had finally realized what she had agreed to for the sake of her haircut and the sacrifice Hyukkie had made for her happiness. She kept hugging him in thanks and was not speaking to her father for a day as punishment for tricking her and Hyukkie.

DongHae held Hyukkie’s hand to to speak. She called over Kai to their lunch table and held his hand to father. Kai sat with a blissful expression on his face just staring at Amber. It was only after lunch was over that Amber realized her mistake and punched Kai for staring at her.

Doc had lunch with imo and family and sat through some intense grilling and loads of promises, if I knew imo at all. Soo and Doc were red the entire time.

Taemin and Kibum sat on a table on their own, behaving like a newly wed couple.

Duckie refused to leave my side and her parents sat with us. We joined two tables to accommodate all of us. Umma also joined us. The five of us observed the new couples and their families and placed bets on wedding dates.

Heechul was sure we’ll have a Vegas wedding for both couples. Knowing imo I was betting on at least 6 months time. About DongHae, Siwon put wedding date a month or two ahead. Puppy and I were sure they would move in together within a week of reaching back Korea.

On the way back to Vegas, our coach stopped at a chocolate factory to children’s and imo’s delight. We had a tour of the factory to see how chocolates were made and purchased packs for our group. By the time we returned to our hotel, all the packs were eaten.

We cleaned up quickly for an early dinner and the show for which our tickets were booked. Duckie and Byong needed quick baths and change of clothes as their chocolates were all over them.

On reaching Luxor Hotel for the show, we first had dinner. We had tried to keep the show a surprise for the children but they saw the show’s posters in the hotel and were bouncing in their seats throughout dinner. After dinner, we took a brief tour to admire the Egyptian style and architecture of the hotel.

Our show was Criss Angel’s magical kingdom which held us spellbound. Byong forgot to breathe while Sehun and Minx kept gasping through it. Criss Angel was my favorite magician. I promised my puppy a thank you gift when we returned to our hotel.

Not a single child slept on the way back to the hotel. All were still reliving the magic they’d seen. Byong began yawning as I changed his clothes. Puppy put him into our bed, hummed to him and had him asleep within five minutes. As he went to tuck Byong in Soo’s room, I heard Heechul trying to persuade imo for a Vegas wedding for Soo and Doc.

I was still laughing hard when puppy returned after checking on Minx. Amber and she were discussing Kai and Sehun. Puppy locked the door and we embraced right by the door. Just as we were about to kiss, there was a knock on our door. We banged our foreheads together and sighed.

Puppy reached behind him and opened the door. Kai rushed into our room. “Omoni you have to help me out.”

We looked at each other and walked in behind him. “What’s wrong Kai? What happened?”

Kai sprawled on the bed and gave a big sigh, “Omoni I think I am in love.”

Puppy answered for us, “With Amber?”

“Yes puppy appa, but she keeps punching or hitting me. Today she held my hand during lunch and I have been floating on air since then. My heart feels its beating for two. Wait wait. My heart is with her. And she is using it for punching bag. Help me.”

“Kai you are just 12 years and Amber is a year older than you. You do know that right?” I asked him.

“Omoni I want a noona. I think they have more experience than girls my age. Amber is just right for me.”

“Kai you are only 12. You are too young to really fall in love.” Puppy tried to reason with him.

“Puppy appa, Sehun is same age and he is in love with Minx and you both are okay with that. Why can’t I fall in love with Amber?”

We shrugged. Who could argue with logic like that?

“What do you like about her?” I asked him.

“She is funny, intelligent, has a good sharp punch, and she looks wow in that cowboy hat.”

“And you need our help because?” Puppy asked him.

“Because she hates me. Help me. I will die without her.”

“Well first you need to take her father’s permission to woo her. Then you begin by treating her like a girl.” I suggested.

“But I like her because she does not behave like a girl. Why do you I have to treat her like a girl then?”

“She may not behave like one, but she is still a girl. Still more important is to show her that you respect her. Treating her nicely is the way to do it. When you love someone you respect them and take care of them. It is not a girl or boy thing.” Puppy explained.

“Like you are always taking care of omoni and he of you?”

Puppy nodded. “Yes exactly like that.”

“But you do not show your love in front of others. You don’t kiss or touch or hug or anything that umma and appa keep doing. How do you show your love then?”

“Our love is for us to know. It is not to show to the world. We know that showing it in front of others will embarrass us and we don’t want to embarrass the one we love. So we express our love in private.” Puppy answered for us.

“How do I show her my love? I can’t be alone with her in a room.”

“You look after her during the day. Take care of her wishes, her requests. Put her above your needs. If you are thirsty, ask her if she wants to have some water and offer it to her. Open the doors for her. Pull out chairs for her. Carry her backpack when she is tired, not because she is a girl. Treat her as your equal but take care of her needs. Compliment her sincerely.” Puppy answered again. He was the best person to guide him.

“But puppy appa she hits me when I call her beautiful.”

“Then compliment her about something else. Tell her her new outfits look good. Her new hat suits her face. And don’t stare at her body. That’s a strict no-no.”

“But she has a nice body puppy appa. How can I compliment her clothes without looking at her body?”

“I did not say do not look. I said do not stare. Share your treats and snacks with her.” Puppy clarified.

Kai hugged us and left with a smiling thanks.

“I am glad he came to us jagi. God only knows what Tae would have told him to do.” I said while puppy locked the door once again.

He jumped onto the bed and kissed me deep. “Right now for the next few hours it’s only you and me yeobo. I want to know how you are going to thank me?”

“Tonight I am going to love you. So come here lover boy, it’s been a long day without you in my arms.”

Puppy quickly switched off the lights and opened the window curtains to let in the night lights before he came into my arms. The rest of the night, I took care of my love just the way he liked me to.