Is There Another Chance?

Is There Another Chance?

Note: the italic is Seohyun’s inner thought


I pushed Ceo Café’s door. The clang of bell make Yonghwa oppa, the barista plus owner of Ceo Café, turn his head. He gives me sweet smile and I smile back to him.

“Hi! You look terrible. Didn’t have proper sleep again?”Yonghwa oppa always showed his concern to me.

“Ne” I nodded and walk closer to him

“A regular?” He asked. I’m smiling whilenodded. My regular orders are espresso and two piece of triple choc doughnut.

Normally, after take order we will pay the bill then wait our order in our table. But, because I’m a regular and like to spend my time to wait my order with talking with him, oppa will give me the bill after him give my order.

“So what is this time?”Did your editor nagging again?” He asked while her hands busy make my espresso

“Eng. I didn’t give her draft of my new story yet. She only gives me two more days, but I lacked the idea. Even after stay up all night I still didn’t finished it yet”

“You just need to lift up your mood. I remember, before when you have good mood, you only spent three hours to make a draft from zero”

I chuckled recall that moment “And next day I have stomachache because I drunk five cup espresso”

Oppa grinned. He turns his head and face me “I’ll give you goguma latte this time if you asked for another glass”

“Thank you oppa, but I like to drink mineral water instead goguma latte?”

“Why? You said you love goguma?”

“Yes. But I feel sick if drink more than one cup, and I’ll have another stomachache tomorrow”

Yonghwa chuckled hear my answered. But I really mean that. I have dunk two cup goguma latte before and I didn’t want to think about goguma again for a week.

I look around and found my favorite spot, a table with two chairs in corner beside windows, empty.

“I wonder, is it my lucky or no one interest to sit in there? I always found that spot empty whenever I came”

“Because I left that for you,here your order” Yonghwa oppa put try consist my order in cashier table.

He on purpose let that table empty just for me? I didn’t hear wrong, right?

 “To light your mood, today is my treat”

“Owh really?!Thank you oppa!” I said brightly with wide smile

“Special treatment fro my first regular costumer” Oppa said with his killer smile. I come here since the opening day.

Okay, control yourself, Seohyun-ah. Don’t to often smiling like that oppa. If not … I even didn’t want to think what will happen.

Then, one man enters the café.

“Welcome” Oppa said

This man used formal attire, black suit and white shirt, but without tie. He loses his two button shirt. His have nice cut hair. His face cute, with his smile eyes.But her shoes have a little mud. Maybe he steps into mud before come in because the mud still wet.

Ups, sorry, because of my job, it’s become my habit to observe everything beside me. So, I take my order and walking to my favorite table. After I sit down, I can’t stop my habit to looking around. This café have eight tables, with two tables have four chair and six tables have two chair. And today oppa have few costumers.

Three high school girls have funny conversation. They laugh quite loud and they face already red.One man who sits alone beside them, give the girls killed glare which make the girls ship their drink. They continue talking with low voice and only giggle this time.

That young man wearing light blue jean with red-white strip t-shirt. Looking to his side profile, I think he is in early twenty and doing his homework or his job. The laptop show the Ms. Excel and some times he change to Ms. Power Point. He has stress face, his hair mess because sometimes he messing his hair when his face showed annoyed looks. I chuckled. He looks like me last night. He stands up when his cup empty. He walks straight to Yonghwa oppa and takes another order.

The little girls and her father caught my eyes. They sit not far to me, one table space in front of me. The little girls, I think she is around 6-7 years old, enjoy her blueberry cheese cake. The cream around her lips, some of it smears in his bob hair. The father just smiling likes idiot to her daughter. Okay it’s not his fault. That girl so cuuuute. His father, I don’t know, but he have scary aura with smiling face? Maybe because his beards and scar in his left cheek. Oh! I think he is policeman. I think I can see gun belt in his waist, but not sure.

And beside them, the man who come after me, enjoy her coffee. He only orders drink and check often his phone. I guess he wait for someone. Maybe his datingpartner.Dating.Partner.

I sigh and turn my head to windows. It’s been long time since I have date. Suddenly I feel lonely. I am watching the street beside me. Not many people walking because it’s star to raining. I sip my espresso and continue eat my doughnut while stare to wet street out side.

Clang of the bell make me wake-up from my day dreaming. A girl comes. She wears knee length dark brown skirt and floral blouse,wet in some part. Yonghwa oppa give her towel and help her put the umbrella in huge wooden basket beside door. The girl say thank you and oppa give his killer smile.

So that smile is not only for me? Heol. Wait, why I must feeling disappointed?

The girl takes the order and I don’t want to see the lovely scene, so I just turn my head back to window again.

Lovely couple is walking to my direction. They walking hand in hand, and laughing for unheard conversation. Yeah, they are talking ear to ear. Show up too much right? They walking pass my window and something in that man finger make my eyes totally rounded. He have wedding ring but the women not. You can guess what their relationship.

I shook my head and sip my espresso. My tip eyes caught one man who stands still with his black umbrella and facing this café. Lower part of his light brown pants already soaked, his white blazer too wet in some part, cause the wind-rain. I follow his glare and than I stop in floral blouse woman who sit face to face with a smiling eyes man. Their face is so bright. I think my guess is right, he wait for his dating partner.Because now, he grips that women’s hand, andthe women smiles shyly and her cheek is blushing.

The movements of the man outside, who stand still with his black umbrella make me turn my head and face him. He looks so angry. His face red, his jaws stiffen and he clinches his palm. Oh, I can smell big problem.

That man makes a move. He is walking straight to Ceo Café’. He throws his umbrella then roughly opens the door. Floral blouse women can’t see that man because Yonghwa oppa serving her order. The angry man, take something from inside his blazer, while approach that women table.

OH MY GOD! It’s gun!

“Oppa move!!!” My screaming caught attention all of them, but it’s too late.

BANG!

Everyone screaming and I close my eyes. I open my eyes and I can see splash of blood on Yonghwa oppa pale face and attire. The man who sit in front of floral blouse woman dead! He shoots his head! Floral blouse woman’s body shakes a lot. Like Yonghwa oppa, her pale face and blouse have splash of blood.

“Minhyuk oppa” She murmured with her shaking voice. Slowly, she pulls off her hand from Minhyuk hold. She want to touch Minhyuk’s face but stopped when she looks fresh blood in the table. She shocked and closesher open mouth and tears flowing in her cheeks.

“Move!” The man with gun said, pointing the gun to Yonghwa oppa. Oppa move to side, with his hand open in air.

“If one of you dares to make a move, I’ll shoot you!” He said while moving his pointing gun to every angel in this room.

“Ya! You! Krystal! How dare you meet other man behind me!” That man said and pointing his gun to that woman, who called Krystal, head.

“But, we are over oppa” Krystal answered with her shaking voice. One tear escape her eyes.

“I said we aren’t over! Remember?! And why? Why must this jerk man?”

“Sorry oppa. Sorry. Please put down your gun Key oppa”

Bang!

“Shut up! You didn’t have a right to give me order!”

When this ex-couple talk, I saw, Yonghwa oppa with slow movement going backward to cashier table. I think he is trying to call police. I know he put his phone there.

No, oppa no! Don’t make stupid thing!Oh god! Please help us!

“Please forgive me, oppa, forgive me, please” Krystal begged with both of her palm rubbing each other.

“See? Know you beg for a life to me. I told you before, you can’t life without me!”

Bump.

Yonghwa oppa’s heel hit the cashier table. Key turns his head to Yonghwa oppa.

“Key-ssi” I call him with laud voice

“What?!” He yelled and Bang. She shoot floor beside me. My body shakes. It’s so close to my feet.

Stupid man!!!!

“Don’t open your mouth. Or, I’ll shoot your head!” He yelled and pointing gun to me. My tip eyes caught the father who I taught is policeman; slowly reach back of his pants. Maybe I’m right. He is policeman.

I should make Key give attention to me, than the cute girl’s fathercan take out his gun.

“But Key-ssi, I know you are nice person, you won’t kill people”

“What you said! You didn’t see I shoot this man head?” He said with angry voice and pointing to MInhyuk dead body

“But your hands shaking after you shoot him. Your face become pale and your forehead sweat a lot”

“Shut up!”

Bang! He shoot chair beside me. I close my eyes. My body shakes a lot

Bang! I hear another shoot. I open my eyes. I see blood in the father shoulder. The cute girl is crying loud.

“I told you don’t make a move! Shut up kid! Stop crying!”

Her father hugs her with his healthy hand, but the cute girl still crying.

“Make your child shut up or I’ll shoot her”

Her father suppresses the cute girl’s head into his chest, make her crying unheard.

Because Key attention is into that father and his children, Yonghwa oppa take this change to approach him.

Eiiys! This stupid oppa! Why always doing stupid thing!

It’s only a few step more, suddenly Key turn her head to Yonghwa oppa. Yonghwa oppa freeze. As in the movie, I feel everything is stopping. Every moment turn in the slow motion. Yonghwa oppa’s eyes goggle, a sweat escape from his forehead. Key frown, he glares Yonghwa oppa with killer looks. Slowly he moves his gun toward oppa. Oppa gulped. He follows Key’s hand movement. I held my breath. I clinch my palm and close my eyes as Key move his index finger.

Bang!

Bump. Bump. Sound of something heavy fell to floor.

Slowly, I open my eyes. I am agape. Yonghwa oppa sit on the floor. His right thigh bloody. Key is laying in floor. The cute girl’s father stands beside Krystal. I guess this father push Key when he pulls trigger gun, so the bullet hit Yonghwa oppa’s thigh not his chest. I can breathe normal again. Then, the father take Key’s gun and I run toward Yonghwa oppa.

“Oppa gwencana?”

“Gwencana” He tries smiling, but still looks terrible. He trying to stand up, but blood comes out more.

“Don’t move oppa” I said as I open my vest. I press oppa’s wound with my vest. Hope it can make his bleeding less.

With my tip eyes I see Krystal sit on the floor, crying, beside Minhyuk dead body. Key ‘s right hand handcuffed to table leg. As expected, the cute girl’s father is policeman. Key face gloomy, stare to Krystal who crying like a river. And behind me I can hear the tree girls and young man talk with their family on the phone. The cute little girl clung on her father embrace, while her father sits near Key.

“Seohyun” Yonghwa oppa said while his hand brush my hand which press his wound.

“Don’t afraid. I manage to text my friends before to call police and ambulance. They will be here in a minute” He said.

“N, ne oppa” my voice shaking.

“Your hand shaking Seohyun-ah. Calm. Manage your breath” He said with his genuine smile. Even in this situation he always showed his concern to me. Without I realize, my tears escape from my eyes.

“Why you cry?”

“Aniyo” I quick wipe my tears with my free hand. And my tip eyes caught something. Key secretly takes out his second gun with his left hand and slowly pointing to Krystal.

“Watch out!” I said and throw my body to push Krystal down.

Bang!

For a moment my ears deaf, cause the gun sound too loud. Krystal is below my body. I move my body and she looks fine. She turns her body and our gaze meet. She looks shocked. I want to ask why, but suddenly I think I become heavier, because my hands can’t hold my weight anymore. I fell on the floor.

Wait. Why floor is so warm?

I turn my head and found Yonghwa oppa caught my body.

“Seohyun, hold on. Ambulance comes in a moment. Hold on okay?”

For a moment I don’t understand what oppa said. But, then, I feel warm liquid flowing in my back and when I cough, blood comes out from my mouth. I hear everyone gasped and I hear Krystal crying beside me. In that moment I realize I got a shoot.My mind chaotic.

Will I die? How about my draft? I should give to Hyoyeon unnie tomorrow. Ah, I haven’t feed Dubu. She must hungry right now. I must go home. I won’t die right? The bullet didn’t hit my heart, right? I didn’t want to die now. I didn’t fulfill my entire wish yet. Ah, wait. One of my wish is I can die beside my love. So if I die now, at least I can fulfill one of them right?

“Seohyun! Keep your eyes open! Please” Yonghwa oppa said with his crack voice.

Are you crying oppa? Oh what’s wrong with my eyes? It’s hard to lift my eyelid. I think I’ll die soon. Mybreaths become short. It’s hard to take normal breath.

“Seohyun I can hear the sirens. Hold on, please. Please stay awake for me” My sight blurred, but I think I saw oppa worried face.

Ah, Yonghwa oppa, why you so lovely. Ah, that’s right, I haven’t confessed to you. Should I do now?

I try to open my mouth but my mouth shaking a lot.

“No. don’t try to speak” Yonghwaoppa said

No oppa I must. If not I’ll regret!

“…O…Op…pa” finally I find my voice

“Seohyun-ah you can talk to me as long as you want but later. Later after you feel better”

Aish. This oppa so noise! I must oppa, I must! So shut up and just listen.

“…I”

“Shoo. Why you so stubborn Seohyun!”He mad. I can feel that. But it’s my end of time. It’s my last chance. I try to talk again but suddenly I can’t see anything. I hear oppa call my name desperately. He shakes my body.

“Seohyun. Sheohyun. Seohyun-ah, wake up. Wake-up Seohyun”

I open my eyes easily. I blink my eyes several times and saw my reflection in the window. I thought I was in heaven or hell or first place which dead soul visited, ah whatever with that name. But I caught Yonghwa oppa reflection in a window. I lift my head from table and straight my back.

Did Yonghwa oppa die too? But he only get shoot in his thigh. Oh, maybe he loses a lot blood.

“Seohyun gwencana?”Yonghwa oppa who stand behind me asked. I turn my body face to him.

“Oppa. Are you dying too? Or it’s only God last gift for me to able to see your face again?”

Yonghwa oppa frown. He looks at me with his blank face. Without words he touches my forehead.

He is warm. So he didn’t dead yet.

“You have fever Seohyun-ah” He said while compare my temperature with him

“Hah?” I looking him with my blank face

“Are you having nightmare? You sweat a lot and you gibber too”

Wait. Nightmare? Gibber? Am I still alive?

“Am I still alive oppa? I’m not dead yet?”

“What are you talking about? Your fever is not too high, but why you talking nonsense?” Yonghwa oppa check my temperature again with his palm and compare to his temperature.

“So, I just wake up from a sleep?”

“Yes. Didn’t your neck stiff? You have slept like that for two hours”

When I realize I’m still alive, I’m so happy and I throw my body toward Yonghwa oppa. I hugged him tightly.

“Seohyun gwencana?” Oppa asked and patted my back. Then, my conscious back. I broke my hug.

“Sorry oppa” I said with my red face. I have quick stare to him and saw his grin.

“It’s too late oppa. I must go home” I said as I took my phone from table

“Bye oppa. Thanks for your treat” I am pointing to empty cup, and half doughnut that I didn’t finished yet. I even didn’t know when I fall asleep. After I wave my hands, I walk to door.

“Wait” Oppa said as he grabs my wrist. I turn around

“Can you back by your self? If not, I can drop you”

“Thanks oppa. But I can go home by my self. You have costumer here anyway”

“Your house not far, it won’t take a lot time”

“Gwencana. I’m fine”

“Okay, if you say so. You have fever, don’t forget to take medicine”

“Ne”

“Be careful”

“Ne. Bye oppa”

“Bye” He replied and opens the door for me. We wave to each other then I am walking to my house. It’s only one block from here.

Ah, that’s right! I forget to confess my feeling

I turn my body

Should I come back? Oh come on, it’s not like I’ll die tonight. Hahaha. I can tell him tomorrow after I meet Hyeoyon unnie

I start to walk again. I meet intersection, I take right side. It’s only about five meter to my house. I can see the fence from here.

BANG!

I stop my step. The sound is from behind. Suddenly someone grab my body an turn around my body. And,

BANG!

I can feel the bullet inside my heart. Someone who turns around my body, loose his grip and run. My body fell to the wet street that wet because the rain this afternoon.

“Key calls the ambulance. You come with me. We must chase the fugitive” One man said from a far.Then, he and his friends run toward me. I think there are four or three people.

“You should use this second chance from God wisely, Seohyun” Someone said near my ears. I can feel its cold breath in my ears. I can’t recognize woman or man who talking. Because after that my view becomes dark.

Is there another chance?