V

Homebound

Hands grasp at white sheets and eyes clench shut as a choked scream slips past parted lips. Sweat drips down the boy's forehead as his subconscious delves into painful memories and visions of a car turning, twisting until it's nothing but a mass of burning metal.

"No," he whispers, voice hoarse, "no, please. No!"

Minseok's eyes flutter open as he bolts upright in the bed. He shakes, expression one of horror as he examines the room around him. Minimalistic and monochromatic, it's nothing like the mismatched and soccer-themed bedroom of his own. It takes him a moment to realize that this is his uncle's condominium and Minseok's situated in one of the two guest rooms. His gaze shifts to the midnight sky as memories of the day before replay in his mind.

After his short appointment and Jongdae's release from the hospital, the family had packed up their necessary items and clothes to travel with Joonmyeon up to Seoul. Chorong had stayed behind, though her own home was in Anyang, Seoul, to finalize their custody paperwork. She'd promised to send over everything left behind. Everything had been dealt with in such a rush, leaving Minseok with the unreal sense of a dream going by. A part of him wondered at how the past 15 years of his life could all decamp so quickly.

He'd stumbled into his new room after a long ride from home, heart heavy and body tired. After shoving his suitcase of clothes into the wardrobe carelessly, the teen had stared at the ceiling for a long while, thinking of everything and nothing at once. Minseok doesn't remember when he'd fallen asleep, curled up on the sheets with his thick sweater still on. His fingers slowly unfurl, letting go of the tear-stained covers. His feet hit the floor cautiously, as if he's afraid that his legs are too weak.

Dark eyes focus on the messily stuffed articles of clothing hanging out of an open suitcase. It's perched on the shelf of the open wardrobe and the organizer inside Minseok cringes before he stands unsteadily to go clean it up. Hands unfold, fold, and pile like they're used to and a part of him relishes this small reminder of a simpler time.

It's a brief amount of time before he's finished. He shrugs out of the sweater and jeans, opting for a much more comfortable pair of sweats and a T-shirt. Minseok makes to step out of the room when he hears his uncle's voice from the hallway right outside. The boy is positioned against the thick door and he can make out the conversation that Joonmyeon is having, but just barely. It registers to him vaguely that the condo is most likely soundproofed, even between the rooms, by the thick walls.

"We're home, yeah," his uncle answers to the person on the other line, "the kids are asleep."

He pauses, listening to the other's voice, and Minseok can hear him sigh in distress at his companion's question.

"My parents are going to wage a custody war for them. It's inevitable," he growls, frustrated, "not only because they want to show me just how superior they are, but also because of the kids' insurance inheritance. My brother and sister-in-law's life insurance is supposed to be worth 10 million USD. Yeah, 10 billion won. It's quite an incentive for anyone, really. That's why I can't let them win and take the kids away. I need to win this legal battle-"

Minseok detaches from the door, back sliding against the wood as he crouches, head in his hands. 10 billion won. That's what all of this was about. Joonmyeon wasn't taking his nephews in because of love or familial loyalty or any crap like that. It was greed that drove him. The money was what he wanted.

He pushes himself off the floor, fury welling up in his gut. He regretted ever having faith and being grateful for an uncle to take care of him and his brothers. Joonmyeon was a cold-hearted snake, the same as everyone else that had approached him for his parents' wealth. A scoff of disbelief sounds in the room as Minseok shakes his head. He lies back down on the bed, lips curled up bitterly. It's an ugly expression, full of hate. To think he was so naive as to believe that his young uncle had eagerly taken them in because of love. How childishly stupid he was.

 

~~~

 

The kitchen is bustling with activity when Minseok walks in, freshly washed and a towel on his wet hair. He's wearing sweats again and Joonmyeon stares disapprovingly at his lazy attire as he hands him a plate filled with toast, egg, and bacon. The teen doesn't even bother to greet anyone, plopping down on the couch. Jongdae gives him a curious look, but quickly goes back to his food when Jongin asks for his leftover bacon.

"We're going to go check out your new school, so change into something nice-all three of you," their uncle instructs, "Minseok, I think you can fit into one of my old-"

"I have formal clothes." he cuts in, chewing on a piece of bread.

Joonmyeon lets out a small 'oh' before coughing awkwardly.

"Alright then. Anyways, be ready to get going in 30 minutes, guys." he says before disappearing behind the kitchen door.

Now utterly confused and finished with his breakfast, Jongdae turns to his elder brother.

"What's got your in a twist?" he asks as one of his hands fiddles with the bandage on arm.

"Yeah, what's got your pants in a pretzel?" Jongin mimicks and the second-born scrunches his nose up.

"Nothing. It doesn't matter," Minseok mutters, "You guys want my bacon?"

The completely irrelevant answer satiates the youngest, who delves into the plate, but Jongdae doesn't take his concerned gaze off his eldest brother until Minseok walks back to his room and locks the door.

When he steps back out, he's 15 minutes early and dressed in a sharp combination of dark slacks and a checkered button up. As he peers at his reflection, he grimaces at the obvious discoloration on his cheek.

"Here," Joonmyeon coughs from behind him, holding out a container of concealer, "it'll help with the bruise."

Minseok manages a curt 'thanks' as he unscrews the top and dabs some of the make up on his cheekbone like he'd seen his mother do to her flawless face. Within moments of artful smearing, his skin back to its pale hue. His uncle seems uncomfortable, but doesn't say anything. He doesn't even look the slightest bit angry about Minseok's treatment of him. Conflicted, the boy sets the container down and storms out of the bathroom. He doesn't want to feel apologetic, but he does.

He's faced with his brothers, all dressed smartly and styled like city boys. Jongdae's bruises and cuts are not at all visible, hidden under a thin layer of make up unnoticeable to an unknowing eye. His bandages hide behind a thick patterned sweater that he picks at, bored.

"Let's get going!" Joonmyeon's voice rings enthusiastically as he leads the boys out and into the busy streets of Seoul.

 

~~~

 

They've only been in the classroom for 5 minutes and Minseok still feels nervous. Jongin had happily skipped off with his own homeroom teacher (a nice lady named Ms. Kwon) an hour before and Jongdae had also left with his own homeroom teacher, albiet grumbling slightly about 'the abundance of bald, boring Mr. Lees in the country'. Now, Minseok was facing his own teacher, a young, overly happy man by the name of Mr. Park.

"Hi, Minseok, my name's Park Chanyeol and I'll be your homeroom and Chemistry teacher this year," the man greets with a wide grin as he stretches out a large hand, "just call me Chanyeol though. I don't believe in that 'Mr. Park' nonsense."

For a second, the teen just stares at the outstretched hand, and then Joonmyeon nudges him slightly.

"He's an old college friend of mine, so I know he's harmless. Usually," the uncle pipes up, teasing an involuntary smile from Minseok, "he's not that bad."

Chanyeol just lets out a booming laugh, slapping his knee.

"Nice to meet you, Mr. Park." his student answers, disregarding the other's previous words.

The teacher just continues to laugh. Something tells Minseok that he'll like this one. A knock echoes through the room and all three turn to face a tall male student with dyed amber hair and small cross ear piercings. His school-issued grey blazer is ed, tie loose, and his short hair is styled up tastefully. He looks every bit the epitome of a Seoul high school heartthrob.

"Hey, Chanyeol," the stranger greets with a quirk of his lips and bright eyes, "who's the new kid you want me to tour?"

The only students that are present during the weekends are athletes or troublemakers, and at this point, Minseok hopes to God that this one is an athlete. Mr. Park ushers over the boy towards Minseok, who automatically tenses. Joonmyeon barely manages to refrain from chuckling at his introvert nephew as he shakes his head in amusement.

"Kim Minseok, meet Lu Han. He's your student guide this year and he'll be in all of your classes, as far as I know. He's also in charge of showing you around, so off you go!" Chanyeol grins even wider than before as he pushes his students out of the classroom.

The shorter boy barely has the chance to stumble out before the wooden door slams behind him. Getting kicked out on his first unofficial day and ending up in an empty hallway with a stranger weren't on Minseok's to-do list but he'll have to endure. Lu Han smiles at him expectantly. Minseok has to admit that he's rather good looking and he also seems friendly.

"So," the other boy starts as they walk down the halls, "where are you from?"

"Incheon."

"That's cool."

A period of silence passes through them and Lu Han glances at him once in a while. The new student uses this time to guess where the other is from. He has the slightest accent and his name is obviously foreign. He guesses Chinese.

"Just curious-why are you transferring in the middle of the first semester?" he hums, and Minseok's eyes harden.

"That's none of your business." he snaps, and then he immediately regrets it.

He expects Lu Han to get mad and leave, or something along those lines, but he doesn't. Instead, the foreigner just chuckles softly.

"You're right. It isn't," the boy agrees, "what do you like to do then? Your hobbies are my business if I'm your student guide."

At his surprising reply, Minseok's interest is piqued. This boy most certainly is not like his classmates back home. His introverted and shy personality was often mistaken for a cold one, and he was never the most popular.

"I like soccer," Minseok says quietly, "I'm pretty good at it, too."

The days of his playing on the JV soccer team flood back to him and he suddenly misses his school, no matter how alienated he was at times. The mention of soccer brightens Lu Han's expression more as he halts to examine his companion. Minseok wasn't all long, lanky limbs like Lu Han, but he was lean-muscled from sports and a respectable athlete with his quick reflexes.

"That's great! I'm actually a member of the Varsity soccer team here. Maybe you can join us for a practice-you know, so we can see just how good you are."

Slowly, a smile inches across Minseok's face and he nods.

"Yeah," he responds, "we can do that."

Lu Han extends a hand in front of the other and the shorter boy takes it, shaking it firmly.

"Welcome to St. Michael Prep, Minseok."

And suddenly, getting kicked out on his first unofficial day and ending up in an empty hallway with a stranger doesn't feel so bad anymore.