Intruder

Intruder

            Yoongi yawned as he scratched the back of his head, slumping out of his bedroom and down the hall towards the kitchen. His body was on autopilot as he made himself a cup of coffee. Suddenly, a loud snore sounded from the living room. He froze. He lived alone.

            He quickly snatched the nearest weapon, which happened to be the now empty coffeepot. On tiptoe he scurried out to the living room, peeping his head around the corner to inspect the scene before proceeding. The room was too dark for him to see anything other than the steady rise and fall of breath from a dark lump on the couch. Yoongi couldn’t believe his eyes; someone had broken into his home just to sleep on his couch. How had he not heard them?

            He gingerly stepped into the living room and tiptoed up to the figure. He grasped the blanket that covered the stranger, pausing to calm himself before revealing the intruder. He expected to see an old, smelly hobo, but, to his surprise, when he lifted the blanket he saw a handsome man about his age. The boy continued to snore loudly, inhales and exhales passing through a mouth that hung agape. Yoongi watched him curiously for a moment, unsure of what to do. It seemed as if the stranger could – and would – sleep all day if Yoongi allowed him. He wondered momentarily where he came from and why he was there. He looked so peaceful and cute; Yoongi almost didn’t want to wake him. But then he decided as this was his house, he had the right to wake the intruder up.

            Yoongi gingerly prodded at the boy’s shoulder, but he just continued snoring peacefully. Yoongi huffed in annoyance as he poked the boy’s cheek growling, “Wake up, god dammit.” He still remained fast asleep. Yoongi debated smashing the coffeepot on the boy’s head, but he knew he couldn’t live without his daily caffeine, so he decided against it. Finally, he decided to just shriek and squawk until the boy woke up.

           “Wake up, ! Get off my couch!” He wailed, running in circles around the couch, flapping his arms as he screeched like a pterodactyl. Yoongi paused, hands on his knees as he panted. He glanced at the boy. He was still sleeping. How the hell did he sleep through that?

           Yoongi yanked at the boy’s dark brown hair, pulling his head off the arm of the couch. “Wake the up!” He shouted in the boys ear before callously letting his head smack back on the arm.

           The boy remained sleeping. Yoongi sunk to floor, sitting cross-legged as he groaned, setting the coffee pot down beside him. He rested his elbows on his knees and his head in his hands, glaring at the handsome boy on his couch. He whined in the back of his throat in annoyance.

           Suddenly, the boy’s cellphone went off and the stranger immediately sat upright in response, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.

           “You gotta be kidding me…” Yoongi growled, shaking his head in disbelief. “I tried everything to wake you, and all it took was your damn phone. You good for nothing, lazy –“ Yoongi shouted, grabbing the boy by his collar and shaking him.

           “Umm…do I know you…?” The boy replied curiously, brushing Yoongi’s hands away.

           “Don’t you think I should be asking you that?” Yoongi demanded, crossing his arms and sidestepping to block the boy’s view of the coffeepot. “This is my house after all!”

           “Ugh, inside voice, please,” he groaned, clutching his head in hung-over agony. “Wait. What? Your house?” The boy asked, rising to his feet in a panic. “I’m so sorry; I thought this was my friend’s house. I know he lives somewhere in this neighborhood,” he explained sheepishly, scratching at the back of his head. “I guess when I tried to get there last night I ended up coming in here instead. I really need to lay off the vodka…”

            “How did you get in here so silently if you were drunk?” Yoongi asked curiously. “And where is your shirt?”

            The boy tapped his chin as he tried to remember before pointing at the open window. “And as far as my shirt…I’m not really sure. I might’ve come here without it…”

            Yoongi face palmed as a heavy sigh left his lips. “I guess this is partially my fault for leaving my window open at night. I’m just lucky you’re a harmless drunk instead of a murderer or something like that.”

            “True! You should really keep that closed and locked at night from now on,” the boy chided.

            “Hey, if it hadn’t been open then you would’ve been sleeping out on the sidewalk. You should thank my forgetfulness for supplying you with a place to sleep,” Yoongi replied, crossing his arms in defiance.

            “I probably should’ve known that this wasn’t Namjoon’s house when I saw your cats; he’s allergic,” the boy sighed thoughtfully. “Also he’s kind of afraid of them.

            “And that didn’t seem weird to you at all? That your friend who hates and is allergic to cats had two cats as pets?” Yoongi demanded, hands on hips.

            “I mean I was drunk at the time, so I wasn’t in my most logical state…” he shrugged.

            “Ugh, you’re unbelievable,” Yoongi sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose.

            “Hey do you think I could get some water and pain medicine?” The boy asked, slowly walking towards the kitchen, rustling through the cabinets in search of a glass. “I’ve got a killer headache.”

            “Why don’t you just go to your friend’s house?” Yoongi huffed in annoyance. The guy ignored Yoongi’s comment, instead deciding to approach Yoongi and lift the smaller boy and place him gently on the counter.

            “Where do you keep the glasses?” He asked politely. Yoongi silently reached behind his head, pulling a glass out of the cabinet and scowling as he offered it to his intruder-turned-guest. “Thank you!” The other boy beamed, ruffling Yoongi’s hair. “Where do you keep the painkillers?” He asked absentmindedly as he filled the glass with tap water.

            Yoongi huffed once more as he stood on the counter and walked towards the far end. He opened the highest cabinet, which he could only reach standing on the counter, and pulled down a bottle of asprin.

            “Here you go,” Yoongi muttered, tossing the bottle to his guest.

            “Thanks.” The boy just smiled at him for a moment. “You know, you don’t seem all that upset at having an intruder in your home. You’re a surprisingly good host. Most people would’ve called the cops by now…” The boy said with a smirk. “You didn’t wanna call the cops on me, did you? It’s cuz I’m so good looking, right?”

             “Wha-? N-no!” Yoongi spluttered defensively, glaring at the boy. “I just hadn’t thought of it.”

             “It’s okay if you find me attractive,” the boy replied, eyeing him through one eye as he rested his hands behind his head cockily. “You’re not half bad yourself,” the boy smirked, wrapping a long- hand around Yoongi’s thigh and pulling the smaller boy’s legs out from under him, catching him before his smacked painfully on the countertop.

              “I- wha- thanks…” Yoongi sighed, squirming in the other boy’s grip. “Do you think you’ll be able to find your way to your friend’s house from here?” Yoongi asked to change the subject.

              “Umm…” the boy hummed, setting Yoongi down as he walked over to the window to glance down the street. “You wouldn’t happen to know Namjoon would you?”

              “Yeah, he lives two houses down,” Yoongi replied, following and pointing at the house in question.

              “Damn, I was so close,” the boy replied, shaking his head with a grin. “Oh well, if I hadn’t gone to the wrong house then I would’ve never met you,” he continued, caressing Yoongi’s cheek.

              Yoongi leaped back as if he’d been scalded by burning water. The boy doubled over in laughter as Yoongi’s cheeks lit up deep red.

              “You need to lighten up a little bit…umm…?” the boy paused as he realized that he didn’t know Yoongi’s name.

              “Yoongi."

              “You need to lighten up a little bit, Yoongi,” the boy continued with a wide grin. Yoongi just scowled in response, causing the boy to laugh again.

              “Well, I guess I should be going then,” the boy said, walking towards the front door, pausing to grab an apple from the basket at the far edge of the kitchen first.

              “Are you sure you wouldn’t prefer taking the window instead?” Yoongi teased as the other boy reached for the doorknob. “Or perhaps you’d like to raid my fridge?” The boy turned around and just smirked at him in response.

              “I’m Hoseok by the way,” he said before shutting the door behind him with a gentle click.

 

 

 

 

              Yoongi wasn’t all that surprised when he woke up to the sound of a loud thump from the living room. He had “forgotten” to close and lock the window again. He glanced at the clock on his bedside table. 3:58 am. He yawned and stretched as he went out to the living room to investigate. He found Hoseok lying on the floor with a pained expression on his face.

              Yoongi stooped down to get a good look at him. “I’m sorry, sir, but I believe you’ve got the wrong house.”

              Hoseok just groaned in response.

              “I’m assuming your entrance last night wasn’t quite so clumsy,” Yoongi chuckled, reaching out and pulling Hoseok to his feet.

              “I thought I told you to keep this closed,” Hoseok countered, wincing as he rubbed at his sore tailbone.

              “You’re a repeat offender. I believe this could be considered stalking, shall I call the police?” Yoongi asked with a grin.

              “No, but you should call the fire department…” Hoseok slurred with a cocky smirk, swaying slightly.

              “And why is that?” Yoongi asked, wrapping a steadying arm around Hoseok’s waist.

              “Because you’re so hot; you’re on fire!” Hoseok giggled, booping Yoongi on the nose. “Get it. Huh huh? Like you’re really y.”

              “Yes, I get it,” Yoongi sighed as Hoseok stumbled out of his grip. “Easy tiger,” Yoongi chuckled as he helped Hoseok up off the floor once more.

              “You can arrest me any time you want officer,” Hoseok growled with a wink, leaning in so close to Yoongi that his warm breath tickled Yoongi’s lips.

              “I’m not even a cop,” Yoongi sighed, rolling his eyes as he plopped Hoseok down on the couch and covered him with a blanket.

             “That doesn’t mean you can’t handcuff me and have your way with me,” Hoseok purred, waggling his eyebrows.

             “Shut up, I’m going to bed,” Yoongi sighed, throwing a pillow that hit Hoseok square in the face.

             “Why do I have to sleep out here, while you get to sleep in a nice cozy bed?” Hoseok’s whine carried down the hall.

            “Because this is my house!” Yoongi shouted back in mock-anger as he slammed his bedroom door behind him. He pressed his back into the wood of the door as he laughed silently to himself. If he’d known this guy would climb through his window, he would’ve started leaving it unlocked months ago.