Part One

Trapped

Part One

 

Kris sighs and signals for another bottle of whiskey, ignoring the loud ringing coming from his phone. It was a birthday present from Tao. He hates it but he doesn't tell Tao. He'd would probably go on about how much he saved and blah, blah, blah. When Tao does this, Kris tries to blocks out his words (he's tried walking out of the room but the annoying bastard just follows him) and think about the days without Hwang Zi Tao. He smiles. Wake up, find a hot girl to have with, eat, and sleep.

 

His thoughts are interrupted again by that blasted piece of metal. People are looking at him now so he quickly answers it. "What?" Kris almost shouted, annoyed. He knows it's Tao; who else would call him when he's out drinking? Tao tells him to come home- dinner's ready. He grunts in response and ends the call. Finishing his drink in one gulp, he slams some money on the table and takes a cab.

 

Tao moved in his flat six months ago after a massive argument from his family trying to reason with him. But he had his mind set and reluctantly hsi family relented but frequently stops by to threatened him and to visit Tao. Whenever they come, he can't resist insulting them and riling them up. Every time ends with Tao in tears and both parties with mild injuries. They always have arguments about them. He asks why Kris won't be nice to his family since they're soon to be his family too. He sighs and lies that he'll try and get on with them. He doesn't believe him and turns away from him. He doesn't care and sleeps peacefully, oblivious to Tao's silent sobs in the night.

 

When Kris arrives, Tao runs to greet him and takes his jacket. He ushers him in the dining room where dinner awaits. Red candles were everywhere and a bottle of red wine sits in a bucket filled with ice. Rose petals are scattered on the floor. He stares at their dinner. The steak is slightly burnt and the sauce is has big clumps in it. They sit down and start to eat. Tao starts talking about how his day was and he manages to block out most of it and nod and say yeah and agree with him. The asparagus is dry and too hard and it's same with the steak. He tries to eat most of it so not to offend him but when he goes to get more wine, he secretly gives it to the dog.

 

He wonders what brings on this "romantic" dinner. He racks his brain and realizes it's their two year anniversary as a couple. Tao's obviously going to expect something so he excuses himself to the bathroom and conjures a bunch of roses (he's not sure if it's his favorite flower but since it's her namesake she won't mind). He finishes it off with a nice ribbon and pink tissue paper. He approaches Tao and gives him the flowers. Tao gives him a smile but his eyes don't light up. While he washes the dishes, Kris thinks he's crying. Cautiously, Kris takes a look and his suspicions are correct.

 

Groaning inaudibly, he takes out the ring his parents had forced him to buy. It's quite nice really but he doesn't want to give it to Tao. His parents want him to marry soon and produce an heir as soon as possible. He only decided to go out with Tao to get back at his ex but he doesn't realize the consequences from this union. He doesn't even know why he decided to ask a guy out. 

 

He wouldn't be allowed to break up with Tao. Their family would lose their precious status that they had regained and people would hate him and all the other old prejudiced families. Only marriage was the thing left to secure the whole ing thing. And seal his fate of ever having another woman in his bed again, the loss of his freedom. His parents knew this and could do nothing about it. This situation made him hate Tao and he couldn't fall in love with him. This makes him desperate to do something that weren't expected of him.

 

s he drops down on his knees and asks Tao to marry him, he regrets ever asking him out. Even when he beams and grabs him for a kiss, he feels strangely detached. Like someone merely observing this supposedly happy moment. His brain starts making a plan, something outrageous and wrong. He didn't know what but he knew he had to do something. Before he lost his freedom.

 


Four months later

 

For the fifth time this morning, Kris is fiddling with his engagement ring. It's a simple gold ring, nothing special to it. He was in a bad mood and didn't even want to buy it. So he'd randomly selected one and paid for it. And now he was wearing it. He wasn't bothered by the fact it was so plain and boring (rather like Tao) but the fact it constantly reminds him that he's going to lose his freedom soon. He feels trapped and he finds himself unconsciously taking it off. Kris isn't ready to be tied down and face a pathetic, typical life of a family. He doesn't want children- they're annoying and loud brats. He knows he will be a terrible father. Kris just wants to run away from all the damn expectations of him. He's also sick of the congratulations from everyone he meets and pretending all the time.

 

When the door knocks he automatically lets them in. The door opens and reveals a new and y woman. She's stick-thin but has a big chest which is prominent due to the low neckline of her dress. She brushes her straight blonde hair from her face and smiles at him. "Hi, I'm new. My name's Trina." Her eyes spots his empty ring finger and the ring besides it. He quickly slides it back on but she only smiles. Trina approaches him and leans forward giving him an excellent view which makes him hard instantly. He hasn't been for a long time- Tao wants to wait till their wedding night to make it "extra-special". He thinks it's a load of and tells Tao that. He's still ignoring him. Kris doesn't care especially since this is the chance he's been waiting for. Kris tears his eyes from her cleavage and smirks at her, deliberately caressing her hand. "Trina. What a beautiful name for such a beautiful woman." He smirks seductively at her and sees her cheeks turn pink.

 

He knows it's wrong to do this, yet his urge to do something condemned is too compelling and he lets that side of him emerge.

 


A month later

 

The past month has made Kris feel more relaxed and less trapped as he flirts with Trina. No one knows of their secret attraction of course and she doesn't say anything. She knows that he's engaged but this doesn't deter her. He's pleased with this and no one suspects anything. Tao doesn't- he completely trusts him and accepts his excuses of working overtime. Tao spends most of his time at his office so he doesn't question him.

 

He lies back on his chair and smiles. It's not long when Tao comes in with his home-made lunch for him. He grins and gives him a peck on the cheek. Tao hands him his lunchbox and coffee inside he's made him tuna and sweet corn pasta. Tao watches eagerly at his reaction and Kris forces his face to appear delighted and he kisses Tao on the cheek. The truth is he hates the lunch Tao makes him. It's always the same and tastes horrible- he hates tuna but he knows better than to tell Tao.

 

So when Tao leaves he dumps the content and throws the box carelessly aside. Tao always wants the box back to see if he finishes it (Tao says it can be re-used again as an excuse). A moment after Tao leaves, Trina enters. She closes the door and locks it. He smirks.

 


5 hours later

 

They went into the Qingdao Bar and order drinks. They both ask for whiskey and he smiles. Tao never drinks whiskey, he prefers beer (Mostly because Qingdao is famous of its beer). After they go through a couple bottles, they are both hot. They go through more whiskey and by his fifth bottle he's forgotten everything apart from the y woman next to him. He drags her out of the bar and calls a cab to go to his address.

 

As soon as they arrive, they begin to rip each other's clothes off and kissing passionately. They knock things on the way but he doesn't care. Even through his befuddled mind, he can hear a distinct loud clatter of books falling on the floor. They break apart to find the source of the noise.

 

He realizes too late that this isn't his flat anymore. He turns slowly, and he sees Tao. His arms are hanging loosely on his sides and his books are scattered on his feet. They stand there frozen until Trina speaks. "Oh Kris, what's wrong?"

 

He ignores her, dread coursing through his body. He opens his mouth to speak but he realizes he can't explain. What can he say? Tao seems to know this too and walks away. Kris blinks and he finds himself running to stop him. There's nothing he can do though, he's already seen what he's done and Tao won't forgive him. Kris grabs Tao arm and forces him to face him. Then Kris sees him.


Hwang Zi Tao is crying. He roughly wipes away the tears but they don't stop. He's never cried. Not even when he lost his wushu championship title and broke his arm. Not even when his grandma died. Yet here he is crying all because of me, Kris realizes. He feels terrible and tries to rub away his tears but Tao slaps his hand away.

 

"Why, Kris? After everything I've done for you? I've gone against my whole family to be with you, do things for you to make you happy but I hate, and tolerate how you treat people I love!" Tao screams at him, utterly broken. "I loved you!"

 

And then he realized what he's done. How he's broken Tao's trust and heart all because he felt trapped. Kris knows he's done nothing for him. He hates cooking but to please him Tao does it. And I don't even appreciate all the things he's done for me, little things that I remember now, Kris thinks. How foolish and idiotic he is. Kris tells that he's so sorry for what he's done and not done. But he knows it's too late. The love for him that was shining in Tao's eyes is gone. It's replaced by cold hatred and hurt.

 

Kris stands there, watching Tao go. And the most important revelation is that he realizes that he loves him too.

 


Awww... Poor Kris. :(

 

#WeBelieveInYouKris