Choosing the Right Title

PERPLEXITY ☰ Writing Tips & Guidelines
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tips for Choosing the Right Title

 

<> <> ♚ <> <>

One of the first things people see when browsing for something to read is the title, and it may entice them to take a closer look at the book, story, or article. But what makes a good title? An effective title should be interesting, convey the tone or central idea of the story, and be easy to remember. Of course, there are lots of fanfictions with titles that are either long, don’t give us a clear idea of what the story is about, and may not be easy to remember.

Titles are not copyrighted, so you may see several stories with the same title. Avoid choosing one that’s already identified with a story in your genre as it may suggest yours is not original, or be confusing to readers. Keep in mind that a controversial title may attract some people but will possibly discourage some from reading the book, and aim for originality without purposely antagonizing your potential audience.

If you are having trouble coming up with a title you like, try brainstorming using some of the following ideas:

1. A key word or phrase that runs through your story.
2. The name of a character or place important to the plot.
3. A word or phrase that may have a hidden meaning revealed in the story.
4. A popular expression related to your subject.
5. A play on words.
6. A word or phrase that not only typifies the story, but will work well as a category in case you write a series.

A common length for titles is 3 words; one word titles can also be effective, but longer than 6 is uncommon. The easier it is to remember, the better for marketing via word of mouth, so avoid words that are hard to pronounce or nonsensical until you are so famous that people can simply say, “(insert your name)’s new story.”

  <> <> ♚ <> <> A Few Rules of Thumb:

~> Titles should not be dull. When you browse a section on AFF, for example is EXO stories, or a collection of short stories, aren't you drawn first to the more unusual titles? Not that "The House" or "The Tree" won't be a good story; but titles with a bit more originality stand a better chance. Examples: Gone with the Wind, The High and the Mighty, "The Tin Star," The Silence of the Lambs, The Maltese Falcon, Watership Down, etc.

~> Titles should be easy to remember. It's hard to tell a neighbor or another AFF user about a story if the title's too long and complicated, or hard to pronounce. It's a good idea to keep things clear and simple.

~> Titles should be appropriate. Don't name your science fiction story "Trouble at Dodge City" just because that's what the starfleet crew calls your space station. Examples of titles that "fit" their subjects: Raise the Titanic, The Firm, "A Rose for Emily," The Caine Mutiny, Presumed Innocent, Love Story, In Cold Blood, etc.

That should help you narrow the field a bit as you try to decide on the right title for your story. But the question remains: How exactly do you find a good title? Where do you begin your search?

 

<> <> ♚ <> <>

A Few Sources to Jog the Imagination: A title can be a popular expression. Gone for Good, Something's Gotta Give, The Horse's Mouth, The Usual Suspects, Good As Gold
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter