The Middle

Decisions

Five years after their debut, JunSoul was one of the most popular idol duos in the country.

Known mostly for their ballads, the public was in love with the pair of handsome men weaving tales of love and devotion in perfect harmony with one another. Meanwhile, music industry insiders respected the songwriting prowess of the two. Because of their reputation for artistry, JunSoul was not only an idol group, but a much sought after production team with Minjun doing the majority of the lyrical composition and Junho perfecting the melody and sound engineering. Soon, any act that wanted a guaranteed hit made sure to associate themselves with JunSoul.

As for Minjun and Junho's opinion of their rise in the kpop world, both guys were just happy to be living their dreams after struggling for so long. Many nights when the two would retire to their dorm, a two bedroom apartment leased strictly for the sake of appearances, Junho would just sit in the lounge chair beside their panoramic living room window and gaze at the city of Seoul. Hundreds of thousands of lights lay blinking up at them from the street like the heavens turned upside down. It left Junho teary eyed to be able to see the literal distance he and Minjun had climbed since their ramyun noodle days. Each time the saline drops would breach the surface of his eyes, Minjun would sneak up behind him, curling his arms around those rounded shoulders and kissing Junho's temple, reassuring the other that they deserved every bit of this happiness. They had earned it.

Soft moments like this were few and far between. Because of their status as idols Minjun and Junho found themselves needing to be extra careful when it came to how they exchanged intimacies. Much of their time was spent ducking and dodging paparazzi and saesang fans that tried to capture the two's every waking moment hoping to see something special, hoping to get a glimpse at their lives behind the veil. Rather than try to hide in the dark, Minjun and Junho decided to engage in a little fan service out in the open. Little things like holding each other's hands, giving back hugs and occasionally a little game of blow and just to get the fangirls going, were enough to get people to believe that the affection between them was nothing more than brotherly. And that's how they needed to stay in order to protect their careers and everything they spent their whole lives building up towards. Eventually the pair found themselves so good at playing the game that questions of why they were still single well into their late twenties started to die down. Even the question of why two grown men would decide to share a dorm with each other after so long begin to be less to do with their uality and more a testament to their strong sibling-like bond. The press has given them a new nickname - Jun Bros.

With their public personas so firmly established, the couple begin to feel more comfortable exchanging small touches in public and maybe whispering into each other's ears but they still saved the majority of their sweet moments for the closed doors of their own bedroom.  Those times laying in the dark, bodies writhing against one another in satin sheets, were the only moments they truly felt connected as lovers, free of cameras and eyes focused on JunSoul. Having guided Minjun away from the window and back to their bedroom, Junho found himself wrapped around Minjun in the post-ic haze of their love-making. Tonight had been slow and loving and everything he needed after today's meeting with their manager and the dreaded news he delivered: enlistment.

Enlistment is an inevitability in the lives of every Korean man of eligible health and status. Both Minjun and Junho knew that they would have to do this, idol or not. But since Minjun was now rapidly approaching the deadline for maximum enlistment age, their label had decided it would be better for the group if they both enlist. Then they could have a huge comeback album once their service was done. The plan was solid and Junho wouldn't have wanted to promote the group by himself anyway. Having Minjun by his side meant everything to him and if he could, he would follow the other into the depths of hell. But Junho was no fool either. He was scared not just for himself but also for Minjun. There were no guarantees they would be assigned to the same unit and with more public scrutiny of celebrities and their attempts to dodge the laws of service, Junho knew there was a possibility he wouldn't see his lover for another two years. Two years without the person that had been his strength through the lean years. Two years without the person that believed in them when Junho couldn't see pass his doubts and insecurities. It might as well have been two decades.

Minjun felt the stiffness of his boyfriend in his arms and knew he was mulling over the news from earlier. Not wanting him to fall into depression, he tilted Junho face up towards his own and gave him a searing kiss, burning through his fears and filling them both with heated adoration. Suddenly the haze was replaced with renewed passion and the two made love well into the wee hours.


It had been two months since the announcement of their enlistment and today both were scheduled to take their pre-enlistment physical. However Junho had woke up that morning feeling miserable. It wasn’t a new development since he had been kind of queasy over the last couple weeks. He assumed it was most likely stress related. Over the years Junho had been known to get violently ill right before significant events like their first Music Bank stage, their first appearance at an awards show and most recently just before they started filming their latest concert DVD. But today the sickness seemed to be washing over him in waves and without the accompanying nerves. Not wanting the enlistment office to think he was trying to fake his way out of duty, Junho sent Minjun on to the enrollment facility while he went to visit a private physician.

Dr. Jang was one of the first doctors Junho meet after he joined Park Studios. He had been the one to treat Junho’s broken leg and since then Junho had come to trust and respect the baby-faced practitioner. During the series of medical history questions Junho had to answer back then, Dr. Jang had shown his sympathetic nature when the ual history section started flustering Junho. Sensing the patient’s distress, Dr. Jang won Junho over by mentioning how embarrassed his own boyfriend gets when he has to answer the same questions.  It was a subtle but effective way of telling Junho that he understood the idol's delicate position and would remain discreet. And discretion is what Junho needed today.

“Hey Dr. Woo. Long time no see.”

“For a doctor, that’s always a mixed blessing. What brings you to see me, Junebug?”

“Not much. I just haven’t been feeling so hot. You know how it is, worrying about our comeback and getting ready for the enlistment. I think maybe I’ve developed an ulcer or something because I’ve been nauseous and really food sensitive lately. Do you think you can prescribe me something to get rid of the sick feeling?”

“Now, Junebug, you know that I don’t ever just prescribe meds. If you say it’s your stomach that’s hurting you then let me get my ultrasound machine and take a look. You could have a hernia or some other bowel issue that we aren’t considering. It won’t take long and it would definitely ease my mind to investigate things.”

“You’re the doctor. Whatever you say goes.”

Several minutes later, Junho lay on the examination chair as Dr. Jang smeared the cool gel across his abdomen. Immediately after placing the wand on Junho’s tummy, Dr. Jang went silent, searching for any and everything that may be causing Junho’s discomfort. Almost 15 minutes later, the doctor was ready to shut things down went he heard a weird echo coming through the speakers. A faint wooshing sound, just out of time with Junho’s heartbeat, seemed to grow louder the closer the doctor got to Junho’s bladder. Now on the hunt for the source of the echo, Dr. Jang’s eyes grew large at the sight of a foreign organ just above Junho’s colon. Recognition fought with disbelief at the image he was seeing, but there could be no mistaking the textbook shape on the screen. Lee Junho had a uterus…a working uterus nurturing what looked to be an 8 week old fetus.