2/2

A Brighter Tomorrow

Jongup watched Zelo leave his room, waiting until he heard the front door slam to let the tears out. 

So this is what rejection feels like.

Slowly, Jongup laid down and let the thoughts in his mind absorb him. He was obviously hurt by Zelo's turndown, yet his heart felt a bit relieved.

I am so in love with Zelo. Why? He's funny and cute. We both love to dance together. Though, I don't like that he's tall and can be a bit immature at times and overreact about everything. He does make me comfortable, but is that why I think I'm in love with him? Does he just make me feel safe and my love is only brotherly?

Daehyun... He's so... I'm not sure. Adorable? Stunning? Cute? He does have awesome looking hair that seems to flow with the wind, and he does have full, plump lips I'd love to nibble, and he also has a very nice body figure; muscles showing through his tight shirts, and he has- Ok, I get it. Daehyun is pretty gorgeous for a man and his smile seems to be brighter than the yellow orb in the sky.

Jongup let his mind race for a good four hours, before the door to his room opening snapped him out of it. 

"Jonguppie?" Jongup looked over to see his brother standing in the door way. "You alright? You didn't come down for dinner and I was worried." The younger smiled at the other, loving how easily concerned the elder could get.

"I'm fine, Himchannie. Just a lot on my mind." Himchan frowned, walking into the room and sitting down next to the younger on the bed.

"What's wrong, Jonguppie?" Jongup sighed as he sat up, not being able to look his brother in the eyes.

"I... I rejected my mate..." He said quietly, but hearing the gasp from the elder told Jongup that he had heard him.

"You met your mate already?! So unfair! I haven't even met mine! Ugh. So who is she?" Himchan questioned, trying to focus on his brother's problems and not remind him of his.

"It's actually a boy. His name is Daehyun. It's actually Zelo's mate's friend." Himchan's eyes widened.

"Seriously?! He found his too?! That's even worse!" Jongup tried hard not to roll his eyes, but sometimes his brother only thought of himself. His brother was lucky not to have found his mate yet, because then he could have whoever he wanted. Or maybe he will be alone forever, because he'll never find his mate and others won't want him. 

Jongup frowned at his subconscious thoughts. He never wanted his brother to be alone; that would be terrible. 

"Now Jongup, why did you reject your mate?" Himchan finally stopped sulking and got back to the right topic.

"Because... I... I'm in love with... with-"

"With Zelo. Yeah, everyone but the younger knows that." Himchan stated.

"Well, he knows now. I told him and he completely rejected me." Jongup lowered his head, feeling his heart ache a bit, but not as much as it did when he saw Daehyun's teary face.

"Well, do you blame him? He found his mate; the person he wants to spend forever with. The one who gave him color. He loves you, Jongup, he really does, but as a brother. Plus, does he know about you having a mate?" Jongup nodded, causing Himchan to sigh. "Then it makes even more sense that he rejected you. He doesn't want to be that guy who takes away another's chance at love. Do you really want to be that guy, Jongup?" The younger sighed, shaking his head and reaching for his cell phone.

"Thanks, Channie. I'll call Zelo now and make up with him first." Himchan smiled, patting his baby brother's head, before leaving the room. Jongup dialed the familiar numbers and hit the call button, waiting only three rings worth before it was answered.

"Go away, Jongup. I'm still pissed at you." Zelo answered, before hanging up. Jongup took a deep breath, before trying again. "Jongup, seriously. Go the fu-"

"I'msorryZelo! IwasacompleteidiotlikeusualandIhopeyoucanforgiveme!" Jongup yelled really fast, hoping the younger didn't hang up.

"First, calm down and repeat because I didn't catch any of that. Secondly, you don't have to yell." Zelo's tone was bored and dull, hurting the elder a bit.

"I said, I'm sorry, Zelo. I was a complete idiot like usual and I hope you can forgive me. I want to make things right. Will you help me?" Jongup still wasn't so sure on how he was going to make things better, but he had to at least try.

"We'll go see them after school tomorrow. Before then, I probably won't talk to you." After that, Zelo hung up the phone, leaving Jongup with a small smile on his face.

~~~~

Zelo had come over to the elder after school like promised, though he wasn't the happiest little camper. He arrived, not giving his normal hug to the other, and said they were walking to Daehyun's college so that they could talk after he got out of class. They headed out on their way, an awkward tension around them.

He did smile a bit and told Jongup he was excited about his little study date with Youngjae later the next day. He even took out his phone and texted him, Jongup noticing the bright glow in the younger's eyes. Jongup felt guilty about trying to steal Zelo away from someone who made the younger happy. What was I thinking? I'm such an idiot. Though, what am I going to do about Daehyun? Should we just be friends? Should I keep ignoring him? Or should I give us a tr-.

Before Jongup could register what was happening, he was down on the ground with scraped hands caused by the reflex of catching himself as he fell. He ly to widen his eyes at his friend on the ground, blood sliding down his temple. Jongup scrambled over to the younger, shaking his form.

"Zelo! Zelo! Answer me, damn it!" Jongup let out a sob, leaning down and placing his lips against the youngers. Jongup thought their first kiss would be special, intimate, and out of this world with fireworks exploding in his mind, but all Jongup could think about was getting his best friend to breathe again. After a few attempts, Zelo started to cough, cracking his eyelid's a bit. Jongup smiled as he heard the ambulance in the distance. Thank the Lord for whoever called them!

"Zelo, everything is going to be ok." The younger nodded, slowly reaching into his pocket and pulling out his phone. He handed it to Jongup, nodding his head towards it.

"Call.... Youngjae..." Jongup felt his heart break once again, but he nodded. He looked down at the device, seeing the screen light up as Soul Mate was displayed. He answered it. 

“Hello?” He sniffled.

“Who is this?!” Youngjae shouted. “Where is Zelo??”

“Zelo—“ His voice cracked. “Zelo was hit by a car while we we-were walking from home to the school.” Jongup moved a bit to the side as the paramedics picked up Zelo and put him on a stretcher. He hopped into the ambulance and sat down on the floor, making sure to stay out of the way.

“How… what…” Jongup could heard the concerned and scared tone in the other's voice.

“I thought he died; I gave him CPR and he responded though. We are in the ambulance now but—but” He had to take a break as sobs escaped his chest. “I’m scared… Zelo has you in his phone as soul mate… can you come to the hospital?” Jongup quickly told which hospital they were headed to, before hanging up and focusing on Zelo. Suddenly, the doors were flying open and Zelo was rushed inside. 

Jongup noticed a familiar blonde in the waiting room, feeling even more guilt as he glanced into the desperate and frightened eyes. 

"Zelo!" Youngjae screamed, but was held back by the nurses. Jongup looked at his friend, knowing that he could possibly die. Just as he was going to look away, he saw the younger mouth "sorry" towards Youngjae. Jongup glanced back at the elder and saw crushed look in his eyes.

"No..." Youngjae whispered as the heart monitor beeped in a straight line. "NO!" Jongup jogged over to the elder, offering his comfort. Jongup felt absolutely remorseful and responsible. He tried keeping Zelo, a very smart and determined boy, away from Youngjae, a guy who seemed to care more for the younger than he knew. Youngjae stirring in the younger's arms caught his attention. Jongup saw the hopeful look in the other's eyes as he walked towards the glass where Zelo laid on a bed trying to be revived. 

Jongup took that as his chance, running out of the hospital and straight towards the college campus. He prayed that the elder was still there. Jongup wasn't entirely sure where he was going; ok he was a lost puppy, but he had to at least try. He was only a couple houses away when he saw the front door open and a bunch of young adults exit. He ran faster, glad he had great stamina, and looked around for the elder. He couldn't seem to find him, but he did catch a glimpse of someone familiar. He quickly ran towards the elder, stopping right in front of him.

"Hey! I remember you. You are one of Daehyun and Youngjae's friends." Jongup tried to smile, though he was trying to catch his breath a bit.

"Yeah and you're the guy who rejected my best friend. I should ing pound you into the ground, but since I'm a pacifist, I'll ask nicely what the you want?" Jongup stared at the elder. That was nicely?

"Do you know where Daehyun is or give me his number or something! It's important." The elder furrowed his eyebrows, before shaking his head.

"Why the should I give you anything after wh-"

"I'm going to apologize and make things right!" Jongup didn't mean to yell, but he was impatient right now. The elder sighed, pointing towards a boy who was sitting on a bench and waiting for the bus. Jongup looked closer, figuring out that it was Daehyun sitting there. He quickly turned to run, but stopped.

"Thank you so much..."

"Yongguk." The elder said.

"Thank you so much, Yongguk-ah! I owe you big time!" Jongup turned and sped towards his target. Once he was a good five feet away, he began to slow down to a fast walk, not wanting to scare the elder. He sat down next to the boy, who still hadn't looked up from his lap. Jongup could basically feel the depressed atmosphere.

"...Daehyun?" The elder turned his head slightly, only to gasp and scoot away.

"Please don't hurt me!" He cried, shielding his face.

"Daehyun, I don't want to hurt you." Jongup tried to reassure the other, but the elder kept pulling away.

"Please! Just... just leave me alone. I get you don't want me. Just leave me alone!" Daehyun stood and ran, not caring about the bus anymore.

"Daehyun, wait!" Jongup followed after the elder, easily catching up to him and grabbing his wrist. "Daehyun, please listen to me!" 

"I've heard enough!" Daehyun tried to pull away, but the younger was definitely stronger than him. Giving up, he huffed and looked away. "Please... just... leave." 

"Not until you hear me out. Daehyun, I'm really sorry about what I did. I was just... being stupid. I thought I was in love with someone el-"

"Ok! I've heard enough!" Daehyun tried to pull away again, but Jongup held on tight.

"But! I'm not in love with him! I realized it was only brotherly love! That I was only feeling that way, because we grew up together. I love him, but only as a really close friend." Daehyun stopped struggling.

"So, why are you telling me this?" Jongup bit his lip, nervous about this part. What if he was rejected?

"I didn't mean to yell at you, I just was confused and had so much going on in my head and I snapped. You aren't ugly; far from it. You are a very gorgeous man, Daehyun. I love the way your eyes sparkled when you see me, and the way they curved into moon crescents when you smiled, and I was heartbroken when I saw you crying. God, I'm a horrible person for putting you through that. I guess what I'm trying to say is... I want to be friends, Daehyun. Friends who some day will lead into a relationship. I want to get to know you and hang out with you, before we jump into this whole soul mate business. I promise to give you a fair chance." Daehyun let his mind process the information, knowing that he didn't really love Jongup yet; that his heart told him he did, because he mind told him he was his soul mate. 

"T-that sounds reasonable." Jongup smiled, leaning over to peck Daehyun's cheek. 

"I have a good feeling about this." Daehyun blushed, not expecting any of this from the younger. Maybe he wasn't meant to be alone after all. 

 

~~~~

OMG IT'S FINISHED! I'M SO SORRY ABOUT THE WAIT! I hope you enjoyed it! It feels good to write again <3 btw how I see the picture, Youngjae lost Zelo so he can't see in color anymore, which he is watching daejong who are in black and white in the gif. and if they both turn to look at Youngjae, he'd be in color. (that's my view on it to fit this story) XD