Beautiful Stranger

Beautiful Stranger

 

 

AN: This was originally going to be a oneshot, but I found myself adding more and more. Let me know what you think!!

I like it, it’s kinda cute^^


 

“Do you want to get married?” Ju-ah asks as both girls walk to the closest food stand from their school.

“I have no choice.” Sa-rang says. Her dad married for love, but his family never approved. Eventually he started hating Sa-rang’s mother and things became very difficult for them.

“I’m doing it for my mom. We’ve been struggling for some time and with this money she won’t have to work as hard.”

“Why would your dad only give you the money once you were married?” Ju-ah asks.

“I don’t know maybe because he figured that it would take years for me to get married.”

They sit down and place their order.

“Yah you’re not marrying someone old are you?” Ju-ah asks.

“No! At least I hope not.” Sarang answers a little worried.

Aigoo I never thought you would be a sacrificial lamb.”

“Yeah me either, but I trust that my mom will choose a good person for me.” Sa-rang continues, “She went to the most expensive matchmaker in the city.”

 

They’re eating when this very cute guy appears. Both Ju-ah and Sa-rang can’t stop staring at him. He looks like a model.

Chogiyo. Ramen juseyo.” He says.

Neh.” The ajumma responds.

Olmana?” he asks the price.

Nyuk chon won.”

Nyuk chon won? Nyuk chon won, Nyuk chon won.” He seems to be digging into his memory trying to remember what that means, “Chamshimanyo. I’m not so good with numbers.” He says.

The lady shows the amount using her fingers.

“Ah! Nyuk chon won. Here you go.” He hands over the money and sits on the empty table next to the girls.

It’s obvious he’s embarrassed. Sa-rang, wanting to make everyone around her feel comfortable, tells him, “I have trouble telling time so don’t be embarrassed.”

Neh? Ah neh. Gomawo.” He responds and turns away.

A few seconds later Ju-ah asks, “Are you from here? Sorry it’s just that your accent is different.”

“Actually I just moved from China last week.” He says.

“Ah~ that’s why you have trouble with numbers.” Sa-rang continues, “But your Korean is good.”

“Practically like a native.” Ju-ah adds.

His food arrives and they let him eat in peace. Although his food came after theirs; but he managed to finish faster than them.

After finishing he thanks the ajumma, gets up, and makes his way out of the tent.

Sa-rang and Ju-ah look at each other a little disappointed that the cute guy is leaving, but then they hear, “Chogi..Do you know how to get to _____?”

“Yeah go straight then wuenchok on the first street then orunchok when you see an ice cream shop keep going straight and then orunchok on the second street after that it should be there.” Sa-rang concludes, “You go it?”

“Umm I’m sorry can you repeat that? Or can you write it down instead? I have trouble remembering left and right.” He says cutely.

“Let’s go together.” Ju-ah says, “We have to go in that direction anyways.”

“Aren’t you girls still eating?” He asks.

“No we’re finished.” Ju-ah practically jumps out of her seat, “Ajumma thank you for the food. We’ll come back next week.”

Neh, go home safely.” she says.

All three of them leave the tent and start walking. They haven’t taken a few steps when Ju-ah says, “Oh I almost forgot. I have to go to my grandparent’s house today. Sorry I can’t go with you guys.” Ju-ah practically wants to cry because she won’t be able to walk with the cute stranger.

“Ok well I’ll see you next week in school.” Sa-rang says.

“Ok..Annyong.” Ju-ah says sadly.

Neh annyonghikaseyo.” He says.

 

After Ju-ah left it was a little awkward. In order to end the awkwardness Sa-rang asks, “So you said you just moved here?”

“Yes last week so I still don’t know my way around Seoul.” He says without looking at her.

It was still awkward and she felt embarrassed to ask another question. He was supposed to continue the conversation by asking a question back. That’s what people are supposed to do. Right when Sa-rang is about to ask another question he asks, “Have you been living here long?”

“Yes I was born and raised here. I live with my mom.” She continues, “Why did you move here?”

“For sch..” he’s cut off by his phone. He answers it and starts speaking in Mandarin. A few seconds later he hangs up, “Sorry it was my friend. He wanted to know how everything was going, but I’ll call him later.”

“Wow Mandarin sounds so cool!” she exclaims.

“Haha would you like me to teach you a few words?”

“Yes!” she exclaims.

“Ok ‘Ni hao’ means ‘hello’.” He says.

“’Ni hao’” she repeats, “How did that sound?”

“It sounded good, you have good pronunciation.” He commends. “To say ‘bye’, it’s ‘Zai jian’”.

“How do I say, ‘What’s your name?’” she asks.

Ni jiao shen me ming zi?” He answers.

Ni jiao sher..?” she asks.

Ni jiao shen me ming zi?” He repeats.

Ni jiao shen me ming zi?” She says.

“You got it.”

Ni jiao shen me ming zi?” She asks.

“Yeah that’s correct.”

“No, ha, I’m asking what’s your name.” She says with a smile.

“Oh, it’s Luhan. My name is Luhan” he answers. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Sa-rang.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” He says.

“It’s nice to meet you too.”

After that they both felt more comfortable with each other. They continued practicing and talking about several things.

“Ok” she says, “I have to go that way, but just go straight, turn left, and it will be right there.”

“Ok thank you so much for your help.” He says.

“No problem. Zai jian.” She says.

“Haha Zai jian.” He turns around and starts walking. She’s watching him as he walks away. He looks like a lost puppy. She feels bad for him. Her mother always taught her to help people if she was able to so maybe that’s what motivated her to say, “Luhan!”

He stops and turns around. She starts walking towards him.

“Let me give you my number just in case you have an emergency.”

“Ok thank you.” He says, “I’ll text you the next time I have a problem with numbers haha.”

“Haha deal.” She says laughing.

 

~~

 

That night while studying she opens her book and sees a picture of China’s landscape. It reminded her of the adorable stranger she met earlier that day; and a small smile appeared on her face.

 

~~

 

Although it was the weekend, but that didn’t mean she could sleep in. On the weekends she helped her mother with her work. While working together she tells her, “Mom, ‘Ni jiao shen me ming zi?’, do you know what I said?”

“No.” answers her mom.

“I asked, ‘what’s your name?’ in Mandarin. Doesn’t it sound cool?” Sa-rang says in an excited tone.

“Where did you learn that?” Her mother asks.

“I met someone yesterday that moved from China.”

“Oh that’s nice.” Her mom says, “You should continue learning. It can come in handy one day.”

“Hmm” Sa-rang meditates, “You’re right! Since I want to travel, it can definitely come in handy!”

She pulls out her phone and creates a text:

“So I decided to learn Mandarin. You can help me learn right?^^”

SENT

A few minutes later she feels her phone vibrate. It’s a response from Luhan.

“Haha yes I can help you.”

She looks at the text and smiles.

“Don’t forget if you need help I can help you too ^^”

SENT

A few minutes later her phone vibrates.

“Thanks! I won’t forget.”

She didn’t know why, but she felt completely comfortable with him.