Consort Do

Consort Do

 

 

25th June,1950

 Kyungsoo ran his paintbrush along the edges of his canvas idly, the painting that faced him was one of his family, his parents, his older brother and himself. It was the last class of the day and Kyungsoo like the rest of his classmates affected by the early summer heat couldn't be bothered to finish his project, a slight droning sound filled the otherwise silent class. Jongdae's brows furrowed as he his stool to face Kyungsoo inquisitively, the sound slowly increased and Kyungsoo's eyes widened in recognition as the dull humming turned into roaring marking its quick approach. He ran to the window looking up at the darkening red sky just as two jets flew overhead, he paled as he caught sight of the streaks of red along their tails. More droning sounds joined the first and Kyungsoo's heart felt like leaping out of his chest as he counted them, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen! He turned to the rest of his classmates eyes wide with fear, they were being invaded!

"Everybody out! Warn everyone, the North has invaded!"

He pushed the boy closest to him into motion and the previously silent class went in complete havoc, everybody got to their feet bursting into the hallways screaming out the message.

Kyungsoo grabbed onto Jongdae as the first warning siren sounded, the older boy was frozen in place as he gaped out of the window. Kyungsoo tugged on his hand pleadingly,

"Jongdae please, we have to go!" he remained still, "we have to leave NOW!" 

The desperation in Kyungsoo's voice broke through Jongdae's trance, he nodded holding onto Kyungsoo's trembling hand. The younger boy was close to tears he wanted to be with his family, Jongdae clutched his hand.

"I will get you home, Kyungsoo. Hyung, will get you home," he promised pulling Kyungsoo out of the closest exit, the window. If it was any other day Kyungsoo would have laughed at the absurdity, but today he clung onto Jongdae like a lifeline. They weaved through the throngs of people panicking in the streets with difficulty and Kyungsoo pressed his face into Jongdae's back eyes shutting tightly as people started to scream.

"Hyung will get you home," Jongdae repeated like a mantra, Kyungsoo's only response was to squeeze his hand tighter wondering if Jongdae knew he was starting to sound slightly frantic. Kyungsoo was thankful that he was trying to reassure him though so he kept silent. They started running when they broke out of the frenzied crowd, Kyungsoo's speed increasing as he saw the white gate walls of his house. He skidded to a stop when he reached the black iron gates turning to Jongdae who released his hand

"Come with me hyung," he reached out for Jongdae, but his friend evaded his hand with a rueful upturn on his lips

"I have to go to my own family, Kyungsoo,

Kyungsoo's chest tightened painfully

"I don't want you to go,

"We'll see each other again," it was lie and they both knew it, Kyungsoo's eyes started to tear up. The second warning siren sounded, Jongdae bit his lower lip and pushed Kyungsoo towards the gates

"Go. Before your parents worry," Kyungsoo hesitated and Jongdae shook his head running off, he had to leave or Kyungsoo would never go in. Kyungsoo tore his eyes away from Jongdae's diminishing form and forced himself to go enter his home’s compound

 His parents were already there, ushering him in as soon as they caught hold of him. The doors were shut and locked behind him as his older brother came down the staircase bags in hand, he tossed one to Kyungsoo who merely stared at it blankly as it dropped near his feet.

"What's going on?" He asked vaguely guessing what was about to happen and hoping he was wrong

"You and Seungsoo are going to the port," his father said gesturing for the guard by the door to grab the fallen bag,

"And you?" His father shook his head.

"Your mother and I are staying behind-"

"No! I won't leave you and umma!" he burst out before looking at Seungsoo wanting his brother to back him up, but the older boy only looked away guiltily. Traitor! His mind screamed. A hand cradled his face gently brushing soft against his cheeks reassuringly,

"Umma?"

"You have to go. Seungsoo knows what to do, for now just trust us and go. Okay?"

 Kyungsoo wanted to protest but his mother although gentle was a persistent woman, whatever he said would be overruled without a thought. He nodded reluctantly turning to his father, fear doubling at the grave expression he wore.

"Don't let them break you, son," was the last thing his father said before he and Seungsoo were pushed out along with guards. Kyungsoo looked over his shoulder about to ask who his father was referring to but the words died on his lips as he caught sight of the tears in his parents' eyes as they watched their two sons being taken away. Guards rushed about and around them building up a pile in the yard and starting a fire, Kyungsoo watched in shock as family portraits were burned eradicating all traces of the Do's ever having sons. His mother finally broke down clutching onto her husband's arm. Kyungsoo stopped wanting to run back but Seungsoo held onto him, dragging him forcefully by his collar.

"It's safer for all of us if we leave, I'll explain this all to you later. First we need to get to the port safely,"

-

 Kyungsoo pulled the coat around him tighter and curled into a corner of the cold ship. They had just left the port, their guards wishing the two Do heirs good luck before promising to guard their parents. Despite knowing they would with their life Kyungsoo didn't feel reassured. Seungsoo sat beside him sighing heavily as the waves jostled the two,

"We're going to China," he announced voice barely a whisper, Kyungsoo's head snapped up disbelief etched across his face.

"They'll kill us, they're supporting the North!" Seungsoo shook his head,

"Aboji has made us both alias', he predicted the invasion years ago and started making preparations ever since. We can both speak Mandarin and a bit of Cantonese, it's perfect,"

Kyungsoo remained silent as Seungsoo filled him in on the plan.

-

July 1950

Yifan's dark eyes traveled across the brightly-lit room, he scowled as laughter filled his ears. He could not fathom how they could be laughing at a time like this, their soldiers had just begun invading alongside the Northern Korean troops and everybody was already acting as if they had won. As if the invasion was a cause to celebrate. His father stood beside him eyes raking the room as Yifan had previously done.

"Anyone that catches your fancy?"

Yifan's eyes hardened as his father gestured to the young dainty women loitered around the room,

"I have no interest in women, such frail creatures are easily broken you should know from experience father,"

 His father didn't even bat an eye at the insult or the sarcastic tone, Yifan scoffed as expected from one of the War Masters.

"Loneliness can drive a person mad Yifan," his father warned, Yifan smirked.

"Yes, you should know that better than anyone else," and for a second Yifan felt happy to see the flicker of sadness cross his father's eyes, the elder sighed truly tired of everything.

"I know you hate me Yifan, but it is not healthy to keep your anger in. You need someone to confide in, not a wife," he said quickly knowing his son was about to protest, "Just a companion. Since you seem to harbor hate towards women your companion can even be male, I will not object."

Yifan raised a brow seriously contemplating the idea,

"I will think about your suggestion, Sir,"

 His father nodded before walking off in search for someone who actually enjoyed his presence. Yifan looked around the room again passing through smiling faces he paused catching sight of a diplomat's son, face melancholic as he stared blankly at the wall across the room. Yifan wondered if the rumors he had heard earlier in the day were true, the rumors which said that the boy refused to leave Korea and had to be dragged back home. Judging by his face Yifan guessed part of the rumor was true. He wasn't even trying to hide his displeasure. Yifan approached him curious and took the seat across the table.

"Wu Yifan," he stated without any other preamble, the boy stared at the hand he offered thoughtfully before shaking it.

"Zhang Yixing," he pulled his hand away and looked down uninterested. Yifan tilted his head, the boy wasn't even Korean yet he acted as if he was just ripped away from his homeland. Yifan wouldn't even care if he was forced to leave China he had no love for his mainland.

"Tell me about Korea,"

Yixing looked up surprised etched across his face, he was silent,

"When the war ends I'm going to go back," he said completely unrelated but surprising Yifan with his determined tone,

"The scenery?"

Yixing shook his head, eyes void of any emotion as he looked around the room.

"The people," he corrected before leaving.

-

Kyungsoo glanced at Seungsoo then at the run down place that stood in front of them, he let out a childish huff turning away arrogantly.

"I want to go home-"

"Don't be a brat, Kyungsoo," Seungsoo interrupted tiredly slightly sea sick from the voyage, he lifted both of their bags, "please," he pleaded temporarily halting Kyungsoo's protests. Kyungsoo's chest tightened with a mixture of anger and sorrow as Seungsoo unlocked the door.

"I hate this, I hate this place," he wailed lip trembling pathetically, Seungsoo turned to him eyes conveying his irritation,

"Do you think I like this, Kyungsoo? Do you think I wanted to leave appa and umma? Wanted to leave our home? Do you think I want to stay in this dump when I've been raised with riches ever since I was born?" He snapped frustrated, a second passed in silence. Kyungsoo lowered his head resigned and off put by Seungsoo's uncharacteristic outburst, Seungsoo sighed rubbing his temple,

"Listen," a hand cupped his face forcing his gaze up and onto Seungsoo's face, "don't think of this as a punishment," Seungsoo's eyes were pleading, pleading Kyungsoo to understand their situation, "we're lucky Kyungsoo, we got out... Do you know what will happen to the people who stayed?" When Kyungsoo didn't answer Seungsoo let him go,

"We just have to pretend for a while, can you do that?" Kyungsoo refused to answer, he grabbed his bag from Seungsoo and brushed by him to lock himself in the only room in the house.

-

August 1950

 Their lives fell into a monotonous cycle after that, Kyungsoo would be made to stay at home while Seungsoo socialized with the traders in the markets. They didn't have to work due to the fund their father had given them before they left, but the elder frequented the area pretending to work to avoid unnecessary suspicion. 

 Once in a while when the elder deemed it safe Seungsoo would allow Kyungsoo to go out, but even those moments were rare and few. So when he asked if Kyungsoo could shop for some food almost two months in, the younger readily agreed. He had spent the gloomy day naively in high spirits wandering around the town only to return to a chillingly empty house. A piece of ripped paper laid on top the table and written on it in scrawling hasty handwriting was,

I'm sorry,'

 The plastic bag slipped from Kyungsoo's grasp as the words processed, he ran to the bedroom door throwing it open. Seungsoo's bag was gone. He opened their closet sliding the drawer open-

'I heard there was a resistance movement-' Seungsoo's excited voice echoed in Kyungsoo's head as he lifted a board frantically, the money was still there. He lowered the board, standing up shakily as he put everything together,

The bastard was going back to Korea, Kyungsoo glanced out of the window. It had started to drizzle, he broke out into a run, shoes and umbrella forgone.

-

 Kyungsoo ran to the pier, eyes stinging, heart heavy and chest heaving painfully with the sudden force. The stones on the rocky road dug into his exposed feet ripping the sensitive skin, but he paid the pain no heed and it only spurred him on. 

 The pier came into sight slightly blurred due to the rain and Kyungsoo sped up stumbling over the first step before slipping on the second. He held back his tears and straightened up, heart sinking to his feet as he looked around the desolated pier. No signs of any ships or boats in sight, he was too late.

 He dropped onto a step adrenaline leaving his body to crumble at its exit. He buried his face into his shaking palms, the gloomy sky overhead darkened as the rainfall intensified soaking him to the bone. 

 Kyungsoo felt as if he had been accidentally punched in the chest by an excited lanky Chanyeol again in his haste to get in front of the line of the theatre counter when his favorite movie came out. Except now, he wasn't twelve and there was no Jongdae or Baekhyun there to wipe away his tears and offer to beat Chanyeol up for him. No Jongin there to glare at Chanyeol until the elder felt guilty and bought Kyungsoo's favorite food for him and no mother to rub his aching chest reassuring him that he would be alright. For the very first time in his life, he was alone.

 Seconds, minutes then hours passed in a daze, Kyungsoo forced his stiff body up and started the long walk back home in the dark. He shivered as the cold wind slapped against him repeatedly, making his teeth clatter together painfully. His body numb due to the cold and previous falls was abruptly yanked backwards, sending him crashing onto the dirty sidewalk. He cringed when he felt the gritty dirt and pooled water seep into his already soaked clothes, the flesh on his palms tearing to match the skin on his heels. A sudden wave of anger overcame him and he glared up through his fringe, five figures stood above him. They sneered as they circled around him,

"You should know better than to be out at night boy," one taunted leaning forward, Kyungsoo held back the urge to gag at the smell he emitted, the others were no better.

"I think I could find good use for you," another said grimy hand grabbing Kyungsoo's hair and tugging on it harshly, Kyungsoo felt tears rise to the surface of his eyes at the pain, he shut them tightly refusing to show them any weakness. The men hooted with glee, but suddenly fell silent.

"What do you think you're doing?" Kyungsoo opened his eyes suddenly hopeful at the younger yet firm voice, he caught sight of a uniform. He didn't know whether to be relieved that he had been saved or panicked that he was now facing an officer and not just any officer but one that belong to the military police. Kyungsoo lowered his head when he saw the ranking of the officer, three stripes, a Captain. The hand in his hair fell away as the men cleared their throats intimidated,

"Just having some fun, Shàngwèi,"

 Kyungsoo dared a peek at the Captain who looked at the men darkly clearly not satisfied with their answer, he took a step forward hand twitching at his hilt as if itching to withdraw the sword there.

"Is this boy having fun as well?" He questioned eyebrow arching in mock thought as he looked at Kyungsoo, he turned his attention back to the cowering men,

"Clear off, the next time I catch you I will not be so forgiving," the men took off like bullets leaving their false bravado in the dust, the Captain looked disgusted before turning to look behind his shoulder. Another man stepped out from the shadows, he was in a different uniform and was taller than the Captain. Kyungsoo tried to get up as he saw the ranking of the soldier, it would not do him any good to be in the presence of a General. He used the wall as his support ignoring the pity in the Captain's eyes.

"Thank you, I apologize for wasting your time," he said quietly slightly surprised at how young the General was. The General's eyes flickered from his bloodied scratched up hands to his equally bloody feet.

"I will give you a ride home," he said speaking up shocking Kyungsoo and the Captain judging by the slight widening of his eyes, "if you have one," he added as an afterthought, Kyungsoo thought of the long walk back home in his battered state and through the dark and the cold. It would take him an hour the least and he did not think his feet would be able to endure the abuse so he nodded. The General turned,

"Follow me then, Zitao, help him,"

 The Captain, Zitao, came over to assist Kyungsoo. The three made it to the sleek black car in silence, Zitao helped Kyungsoo into the back seat ignoring his quiet protest of wanting to sit in the front. Zitao started the engine going towards the address Kyungsoo had given him. A few minutes passed in silence, Kyungsoo kept his head respectfully bowed more out of fear than anything else. The General's eyes had not left him since they had sat down.

"Name," it wasn't a question.

"Jing Xiu," it came out unnaturally stilted making Kyungsoo cringe and Zitao glance over his shoulder for a second inquisitively.

"Jing Xiu, do you always go out alone at night? It is the time of war, the streets are no longer safe,"

"I was going after my brother," Kyungsoo answered quietly before tears rose to his eyes again. "He was all I had left and now he's gone," a tear slid down his cheek and he wiped it away quickly embarrassed. He had never been a crier why must it start now? The General's face remained impassive,

"What of your parents?" He asked meeting Zitao's curious eyes in the rear view mirror, the Captain was wondering why the General was so interested in the boy. It was not like him to offer anyone rides nonetheless initiate conversation willingly.

"They are both merchants in South Korea, they sent my brother and I home when the war started but they stayed behind," Kyungsoo sniffled slightly not noticing the thoughtful look on the General's face as he appraised Kyungsoo's body from head to toe.

"What do you plan to do now that you brother is gone?" Kyungsoo looked confused at the General's question,

"What do you mean, Sir? There is not much I can do but wait," 

"How do you expect to protect yourself? The time will come when the walls of your house will no longer be able to protect you, what will you do then?" 

Kyungsoo remained silent, he had no answer. 

"You could join the army-" Kyungsoo snorted surprising all of them, his cheeks flared up under the General's insulted glare,

"I am a scholar, not a fighter, Èrjíjiàng," Kyungsoo took a deep breath, missing Zitao and the General's exchange of looks at the boy's army ranking knowledge, "my only aim is to survive," He paused eyes trained outside on the untamed plantation field left to grow wild during the war, "maybe I'll be a farmer," 

 The General's eyes flickered to Kyungsoo's grim-caked hands, even under the dirt one could tell the boy's hands were smooth. Hard work was not something he was acquainted with. The rest of the trip was filled with silence. Zitao pulled up into Kyungsoo’s street, he parked in front of the small house,

"We've arrived," Kyungsoo nodded hand reaching out for the door handle, the General's hand shot out blocking it while simultaneously holding a startled Kyungsoo in place, Kyungsoo's heartbeat spiked up. Did the General know? Did he see through the fabricated lies?

"I have a proposition for you," he glanced at Zitao pointedly, the Captain exited the car understandingly. Kyungsoo's eyes widened, "relax, it is beneficial to you," Kyungsoo remained tense despite his words, the General continued, "I offer you my protection for the whole duration of the war," he stopped letting it sink in. Kyungsoo's brows furrowed,

"For what price?" He finally asked voice shaking, his eyes darted to the dark house outside,

"Your company, your freedom- not that you have any anyways," 

"You're offering me protection in exchange for my company?" Kyungsoo questioned incredulously,

"It is no small thing, I can be very demanding Jing Xiu. If you agree you will live with me, we must have all meals together, you have to accompany me to gatherings, humor and tolerate me- the list goes on," the General followed Kyungsoo's line of sight, taking in the run-down house.

"What do you have to lose?" He braved trying to push things into his favor.

Kyungsoo bit his lip mulling it over silently,

"I will not be punished? If I do wrong? If I upset you?" The corners of the General's mouth just barely lifted in amusement,

"As long as you do not kill anybody, no, you will not be punished. We will go over the rules in detail at the manor," he answered, "if you agree,"

 Kyungsoo dared a glance at the General, he was serious. The sounds of gunshots rang in the air startling Kyungsoo. 

"You can think it over tonight, give me your decision tomorrow," the General said in a rush, he knocked on the window gesturing for Zitao to get in, the Captain complied quickly. 

"Home," the General ordered,

"Wait! You said I could think it over!" Kyungsoo cried before clamping his mouth shut remembering his place as he was glared at by the two soldiers.

"You can think it over at my base, I fear you might not be here when I return for you,"

"But my clothes,"

"I will provide you with anything you need," the General said looking uncomfortable, "now we need to get home, these areas are not safe at night,"

-

 Zitao pulled up into a driveway of what the General had referred to as home. Kyungsoo was reminded of the times he used to follow his father to work, this place was not a home, it was a base. He briefly wondered how many soldiers occupied it. A man scuttled forward to open the door for the General.

"Yifan Èrjíjiàng, welcome home. You have a g-guest?" Kyungsoo took in his clothing and lowered his head, his father would be ashamed to see him in such a state. The General pulled the suddenly reluctant Kyungsoo out of the car,

"A permanent guest," Yifan paused glancing at Kyungsoo, "hopefully. See to it that he is clothed and bathed. He will have the chambers across mine, clean it while he bathes," the man nodded hiding his surprise well, "I want food sent up to my room in an hour," Yifan turned to Kyungsoo, "what would you like to eat?" He asked,

"Anything is fine," was Kyungsoo's quiet answer, Yifan's lips pursed into a thin line not satisfied with the answer.

"Bring us steak," Kyungsoo mouth watered as he was whisked off, striped and dunked forcefully into a warm bath. He let his eyes shut as the attendant left him, the stress from the day slowly caught up with him draining him off his remaining energy. He slid lower in the bath, water coming up to his chin as he drifted to sleep. He woke up to hands threading in his hair gently,

 "Umma," he murmured drowsily, the hands stilled and Kyungsoo's eyes flew open. He turned in the bath sending water and shampoo splashing everywhere, Yifan regarded him back coolly. The uniform was gone and replaced with a white button down shirt, Kyungsoo, in his moment of panic managed to keep his eyes above the General's waistline.

 He prayed for something to stop his eyes from straying lower to confirm his previous blurred vision of bare legs. His prayers were answered in the form of shampoo foam getting into his eyes and making him cry out in pain. Yifan stood up forcing him to stop thrashing about in the tub as he ran water over his eyes, the pain subsided leaving a slightly prickly feeling.

 Silence filled the air before Yifan resumed his previous seat by the tub. Kyungsoo sank deeper into the water mortified at being in front of a stranger, in front of a General, an enemy no less. He even let him wash his hair- 

"How long were you in Korea," the General asked cutting off Kyungsoo's self-loathing thoughts.

"I was born there," he answered truthfully eyes trained on the water surface where he could see Yifan's reflection. The General shifted in his chair,

"Did you mother always wash your hair for you?" He asked quietly, Kyungsoo lifted his eyes at the odd question.

"Sometimes, didn't yours?" 

Yifan's eyes darkened as he stood up abruptly, 

"I did not know my mother, my father drove her mad before I could have the chance." 

 Kyungsoo was stuck silent as Yifan strode out of the bathroom door slamming shut behind him, Kyungsoo sighed what had he gotten himself into.

-


Always tell me where you are going

Never refuse my company

Accompany me to functions

Must follow my requests

Do not deny my affection- Kyungsoo paused suspicious at the content of the rule but continued reading.

Spend time with me whenever asked

Acquire permission whenever you leave the manor grounds

No mingling with army personnel unless-


 The list when on and on and on, it made Kyungsoo's head spin, Yifan looked at him over the tea cup he was drinking from.

"Have you made up your mind?" Kyungsoo stirred his tea absentmindedly, they were having breakfast in the room set up for Kyungsoo the night before. He glanced at the bed that had brought him ten nights worth of sleep then at the fire place that kept him warm.

"Jing Xiu," Yifan prompted impatiently commanding Kyungsoo's attention.

"I accept your proposal, Èrjíjiàng," after all no one would suspect the General housing a Korean, he would be safe. The thought brought a rise to the corners of his lips. He took the cup offered to him raising it to lips as someone knocked on the door. Yifan put his cup down and gestured for Kyungsoo to open the door, Kyungsoo resisted the strong urge to defy him and did as he was told. He opened the door to a wrinkled old man,

"Ah, you're right on time Tailor Lu," Yifan commented, "have some tea before you start working," Kyungsoo frowned as the man entered taking his previous seat across Yifan, never would he have imagined a General sitting down for tea with a mere tailor. His own father was kind but Kyungsoo had never seen him interact with a commoner aside from their house staff at home. He shut the door gently standing awkwardly in place until Yifan glanced up from the man, conversation halting.

"What are you doing?" He asked tone impatient, "sit," he ordered patting the arm of his chair. Kyungsoo paused wondering if Yifan was serious, the General's brows furrowed,

"Don't make me repeat myself," Kyungsoo quickly strode across the floor dropping onto the arm of Yifan's chair, he evaded the tailor's amused smile embarrassed.

"This is Tailor Lu, he's the best tailor in this area," Kyungsoo nodded politely, "he'll be taking your measurements and making you clothes if there's anything you'd prefer you'd better discuss it with him,"

Kyungsoo's lips parted ready to protest, but they quickly shut at Yifan's no nonsense look. He held back a sigh and nodded. Yifan smiled slightly pleased at Kyungsoo's submissiveness.

"I'll leave you to it then, I have a meeting in an hour," Yifan stood up, "a driver will come to collect you at twelve, we're having lunch in town," he nodded at the tailor before exiting promptly. Tailor Lu smiled at Kyungsoo,

"Let's see what I can do for you, Jing Xiu,"

-

Kyungsoo could barely see over the guards’ shoulders as they lead him through the town to meet Yifan for lunch. 

"Is this really necessary?" He questioned embarrassed to be the center of attention when all he had done since reaching Chinese soil was trying his hardest to be unnoticed. The guards circling him nodded,

"It is Wu Èrjíjiàng's orders," one said side eyeing him interestedly, "Yifan Èrjíjiàng," he amended when he received a blank look from Kyungsoo,

"Wu Yifan," Kyungsoo tested the name on his tongue, it felt like it held importance. He repeated it causing the guards to shoot him half-curious, half-amused stares, Kyungsoo trained his eyes on his feet. The last thing he wanted was for people to start getting curious. The soldier in front of him stopped abruptly causing Kyungsoo to crash into his solid back, he rubbed his nose noting the scared looks the guards suddenly supported.

"I apologise, Jing Xiu--," the soldier said in a panicked rush,

"I am fine," Kyungsoo reassured him simultaneously wondering why they were so afraid of him, the soldier stepped aside. Zitao cocked his head to the side as he surveyed Kyungsoo from head to toe,

"You clean up well, Jing Xiu,"

"Thank you," Kyungsoo answered quietly, face flushing with embarrassment as someone let out a little sound of agreement.

"Are you done flirting, Shàngwèi?" A cool voice interjected, Zitao grinned sheepishly although it looked more pained to Kyungsoo,

"I apologise, Wu Èrjíjiàng. I thought you were waiting inside,"

Yifan shot the Captain a look, one that made him break out in cold sweat before mentioning for Kyungsoo to follow him into the restaurant.

"I think it's time to reintroduce you to Chinese cuisine," he commented with a wry grin, a chair was pulled out for Kyungsoo making him turn a beet red. He was not a girl he thought sending a glare in an amused Yifan's direction. The General picked up his menu small smile gracing his lips making him look younger and less like a soldier, Kyungsoo studied him quietly. A waitress came to attend to them, Kyungsoo remained silent as Yifan ordered for them both, he turned to Kyungsoo once he'd finished. The grin on his face took Kyungsoo by surprise, Kyungsoo cleared his throat awkwardly.

"What?" He demanded gruffly making the grin on Yifan's face widen.

"You were staring," Yifan replied cocking his head slightly, "why?"

 Kyungsoo's fingers twitched, the truth was he was fascinated by Yifan's face and he had the most annoying urge to paint it. The General didn't need to know that though,

"Your name is Yifan," he blurted out instead as Yifan waited for the answer, Yifan's brows furrowed before he chuckled.

"Yes I know, is there anything else you wish to tell me?" He enquired almost teasingly, Kyungsoo shook his head mind still filled with the sound of Yifan's chuckle.

-

September 1950

 When Kyungsoo had agreed to the agreement he had not expected Yifan to spend much time with him, the General would surely be busy yet Kyungsoo found himself in the other's presence everyday without a fail. It was unnerving that Kyungsoo felt something was amiss when the other had a meeting to attend to or training to supervise. He wouldn't admit it but he had become almost dependent on Yifan's company because other than Zitao no other soldier would dare strike up a conversation with him.

 Kyungsoo placed the book he was reading down, Yifan looked up from the documents on his table brow raised in question,

"You finished reading that one too?" He asked, Kyungsoo glanced at the cover title 'Escape Tactics'.  Who knew, this book might come in useful for him in the future.

"Jing Xiu," Yifan promoted reminding Kyungsoo he had been asked a question,

"No, I haven't. May I go out?" He asked, Yifan looked out of his window overlooking what the soldiers would call a garden and what Kyungsoo would call an overgrown shrub Centre.

"To the garden?" Yifan questioned seeing nothing of importance, Kyungsoo shook his head,

"To the town," he corrected Yifan slightly timid,

"To the town," Yifan repeated bewildered, "why?"

"I want to see the gallery," Kyungsoo said a bit braver now that Yifan hadn't immediately shot his request down. Yifan glanced at the work on his table,

"But I am busy,"

"I can go alone," Yifan pursed his lips unhappily so Kyungsoo rushed on, "the art would probably bore you anyway. I know the way back here, if I leave now I can get back before lunch,"

Yifan shook his head, Kyungsoo held in his disappointment. He expected to be denied anyway, there was no use in hop-

"You will be escorted, you can come home after you've finished. There is no need to rush," Yifan said, Kyungsoo's lips parted in surprise,

"I- thank you," he said at loss confusion apparent in his voice, Yifan shrugged nonchalantly,

"You are not a prisoner all you have to do is ask," Kyungsoo nodded before excusing himself excitement building.

 Kyungsoo ended up with four escorts that he managed to downsize into two with insistent begging and promises to stay in line. He let out a sigh of relief as the car door shut behind him cutting off Yifan's view of him, one of his escorts smiled as he let out a breath suspiciously sounding like 'freedom'.

The ride to the gallery was a short one and Kyungsoo rushed out as soon as the car stopped earning him disapproving glances from his escorts. He grinned sheepishly unable to hide his eagerness and excitement, 

"Can we not mention that to Wu Èrjíjiàng?" He pleaded, the younger grinned, 

"Mention what? The fact you almost leapt out of a moving car or that you jumped out onto the road full of traffic," he asked tugging Kyungsoo backwards as a few cars passed dangerously close. Kyungsoo just smiled knowing most couldn't resist it saying it made it hard for them to stay mad at him. The escorts were no different as they let the matter drop and brought Kyungsoo towards the gallery's entrance. 

"You can stay out here or go eat, I can go in alone-"

"We are not allowed to leave you," the older said about to purchase tickets for them, Kyungsoo stopped him feeling guilty at forcing the two to babysit him.

"I will be fine,"

"Meng Zi, I'll accompany him. You can go grab breakfast with the driver," the younger of the two said, Kyungsoo was about to protest, "I like art as well," he continued silencing Kyungsoo as he got two tickets. Kyungsoo followed him,

"My name is Henry Lau," the told Kyungsoo as he held the door open for him. 

 The two spent the first hour in silence, respectfully keeping a distance as they studied different art pieces. Kyungsoo paused mid turn as he saw Henry looking at him instead of the art, the other grinned not hiding the fact as he was caught.

"You must have known Wu Èrjíjiàng for a long time," Kyungsoo said pleased by the surprise in Henry's eyes,

"We went to the same academy, how did you figure it out?" Kyungsoo smiled,

"The other soldiers always avert their eyes when I look at them, I realized that only people who have known Wu Èrjíjiàng for a longer time like Huang Shàngwèi don't look away when I catch their eye." Kyungsoo's brows furrowed, "I must look very unapproachable," he reasoned trying to justify their actions, Henry chuckled.

"Let me tell you a secret," he said gesturing for Kyungsoo to come close despite them being the only ones in the gallery,

"Wu Èrjíjiàng has warned everyone to keep their gazes lowered in your presence, he has also told everyone to only talk to you if you speak to them first,"

"But I am not of high rank," Kyungsoo exclaimed shocked at the news, "what will people think? This is absolute nonsense-"

"You are his companion," Henry cut in not wanting Kyungsoo to get worked up and over think everything, "he wishes you to be treated the way one would treat him,"

"But-"

 Someone cleared their throat, Meng Zi had returned eyeing the two warily. He gave Henry a pointed look and Kyungsoo belatedly noticed how close he and Henry were standing. He took a few steps back not wanting to get the other in trouble now he knew the General's orders.

"Is it time to go?" He asked, Meng Zi lowered his gaze while nodding. Henry pushed him forward when he saw him frown at the action,

"Just get used to it," he advised as the three exited the gallery.

-

 

 When they pulled up to the main house there was already another car parked in front of the entrance. Kyungsoo glanced at Henry asking whose it was.

"Hua Èrjíjiàng," Henry answered, "he and Wu Èrjíjiàng man the eastern border together,"

"I see," Kyungsoo got out of the car slowly wondering if the reason Yifan allowed him to go to the gallery today was because he would have a guest that day, "I will go to my room then, thank you for accompanying me to the gallery," he told the two men with a heartfelt smile. He turned to go,

"Jing Xiu," Meng Zi spoke up hesitantly, "Wu Èrjíjiàng has asked for you to go to his office as soon as you returned,"

"But he has a guest," Kyungsoo said, when neither his escorts or the surrounding guards answered he sighed,

"I understand I will go to him as soon as I change into a fresh pair of clothing,"


 

Zitao was just exiting Yifan's office as Kyungsoo came,

"Huang Shàngwèi, Good Afternoon," Zitao smiled,

"Please just call me Tao, Jing Xiu. We are of the same age,"

"Really?" Tao nodded pulling out the army tags around his neck for Kyungsoo to see. Kyungsoo looked somewhat relieved, having to call others by their titles was a tedious task and it made everything feel so stuffy and formal.

"Good Afternoon, Tao," Kyungsoo repeated smile bashful at the informality, the captain looked pleased at the forward progress in their relationship. It was rare for him to meet someone his age. He gave Kyungsoo a curt nod before gesturing for him to enter.

"Good Afternoon to you as well Jing Xiu, Wu Èrjíjiàng is expecting you." He knocked opening the door when Yifan granted access, Kyungsoo paused when he caught sight of another person inside conversing in low tones with Yifan. He took a step back puzzling Tao,

"He still has company," Kyungsoo explained just as Yifan looked up, he gestured for Kyungsoo to enter. Tao nudged him forward when he remained still in the doorway.

"Hua Èrjíjiàng, this is Jing Xiu. Jing Xiu this is Hua Èrjíjiàng," Kyungsoo nodded politely at the introduction as the older man let out a sound of understanding at his unusual entry,

"I'll leave you two to work then," Kyungsoo said about to exit, Yifan held a hand up stopping him.

"Don't be foolish, you can read the book you were reading this morning."

 Kyungsoo glanced at the other General trying to gauge his reaction, but the other merely looked over the map spread between the two jotting down coordinates by the side. Kyungsoo frowned was he really overthinking things, was this normal? He picked up his book and sat down on Yifan's unused chair. He flipped through the pages idly as the two Generals drew up plans, he yawned slipping into mindless daydreams.

A hand landed on his shoulder making him jump, Hua Èrjíjiàng smiled kindly forehead wrinkling,

"I apologize I did not mean to startle you," Yifan was still hunched over the other table frowning over the map,

Kyungsoo shook his head offering a small smile of his own,

"It is alright, I shouldn't have been daydreaming,"

"Yifan tells me you were raised in South Korea, if you'd like I have some books you can borrow written by South Koreans. Perhaps that literature is more suited to your taste," Hua Èrjíjiàng told him, Kyungsoo glanced at Yifan whose eyes flickered from the map to the two men curious at the content of their conversation.

"I would be most thankful if you would," Kyungsoo answered, "I do not really have interest in army matters."

"As more young men should, if only my son were a scholar I would not have worried about him so much,"

"You have a son?"

"Had, now I only have a daughter-in-law and two grandchildren. All who I cherish dearly,"

"I am sorry," Kyungsoo apologized on reflex,

"Do not be, it was a long time ago. He died for what he believed was a good cause,"

"Did you think it was a good cause?" Kyungsoo's asked brain only catching up later when Hua Èrjíjiàng looked surprised at his bold question, he bowed his head in apology,

"I'm sorry, that was rude of me-"

"There is no need to apologize Jing Xiu," the old General's smile was sad, "you are as smart as Yifan says. No, I did not believe my son died for a good cause. War is never good, but to tell him this would be hypocritical,"

Kyungsoo nodded understandingly, the General took a step back glancing at his watch.

"I would like to stay longer to talk but I have a prior engagement, just tell Yifan when you want those books Jing Xiu," the General smiled fondly at him, "Yifan, we will continue this tomorrow," he told Yifan. He bid the two goodbye and exited quietly, Kyungsoo stood up staring at the closed door guiltily,

"I swear I didn't know, I wouldn't have asked if I did,"

Yifan shook his head,

"It is fine, how could you have known you just met him today. Don't over think it,"

Kyungsoo bit his lip,

"If you say so," he conceded reluctantly still feeling guilty. Yifan approached him bending over the table to look Kyungsoo in the eye,

"Come now, that's not a good look on you,"

Kyungsoo smiled despite himself, the General was unusually fair-tempered today.

"Have you eaten lunch?" Kyungsoo asked trying to lighten up, Yifan's answer was negative.

"I was waiting for you,"

"You shouldn't have,"

"I wanted to," a silence fell over them, Yifan shifted uncomfortably under Kyungsoo's questioning glance. A knock on the door broke the silence,

"Come in," Yifan called out almost desperately eager to avoid Kyungsoo unnerving eyes, Tao opened the door,

"Wu Èrjíjiàng, your lunch?"

"I'll be out in a minute," Yifan said walking over to the map and rolling it up, Tao nodded throwing a cheeky grin at Kyungsoo before leaving. Kyungsoo grinned back making his way to the door,

"What was that about?"

"Huh?" The grin slipped off Kyungsoo's face at Yifan's sudden cool tone, "What was what about?"

"Zitao," was Yifan's one word reply,

"What is wrong with Tao?" Yifan's lips parted,

"Tao? You call him Tao?" Kyungsoo shrugged,

"We are the same age," he explained to a less than pleased looking Yifan.

"You call him Tao?" Yifan repeated as if digesting it,

"Do you not permit it?" Kyungsoo asked confused at Yifan's attitude,

"No, it is fine," Yifan forced out through gritted teeth, "you can call anyone whatever you please," Kyungsoo's eyes lit up,

"Then," Kyungsoo started, "may I call you Yifan?"


-


"Good morning," Kyungsoo spun around, a tall yet portly man smiled down at him. Kyungsoo took a step back warily as he took in the unfamiliar military attire. 

"If you have come to see Wu Èrjíjiàng, he is in his office," he said as politely as he could, the man shook his head.

"I doubt he will be happy to see me," he commented before waving an attendant over, "will you join me for tea?" He asked. Kyungsoo glanced at the attendant who gave a quick nod, eyes worried.

"If you wish it," he finally agreed knowing Yifan would have wanted him to be courteous to their guests. The man's smile grew and he mentioned for Kyungsoo to follow him to a table under the shade on the terrace.

"I was hoping you'd agree, it's a pleasure to finally meet you Jing Xiu," Kyungsoo kept his expression neutral at the man's unsettling knowledge of who he was,

"I am afraid I am at a disadvantage, may I know who you are, Sir?"

"My name is Yen Lang," the man answered smile never faltering, "I am a relative of your Wu Èrjíjiàng's," Kyungsoo bit his tongue, Yifan was not his.

"If you knew Wu Èrjíjiàng wouldn't see to you, why did you visit?" Kyungsoo asked confused at why this man would waste his time. Their tea was served, Yen Lang glanced at the wary guards noting with interest that one left his post to enter the house.

"I had a feeling it would be different today," he commented, "so Jing Xiu, I heard you were born in South Korea.. It must have been difficult for you to have to readjust to China and the military base," Kyungsoo sipped his tea slowly trying to find out the man's questioning motif.

"Not at all Sir, Yifan has made sure that I am always comfortable. Although land names and territories may differ, we all live on the same earth," Yen Lang looked pleased at Kyungsoo's careful answer.

"How unexpected of Yifan...you are a scholar?"

Kyungsoo nodded eyes catching the sudden flurry of movements from inside the house as a group of people approached them. Yifan was the first out, Kyungsoo stood up alarmed at the anger in his eyes.

"Wu Tèjíjiàng, I thought you had left," he hissed not bothering to mask his irritation, he looked over at Kyungsoo, whose mouth had slightly parted in surprise at the older man's title.

"Go inside," Kyungsoo complied and made a move to leave not wanting to get caught up in whatever argument these two had. Yen Lang although old was faster, he grabbed Kyungsoo hand keeping him in place.

"Don't be rude Yifan," he chided causing a chill to run down Kyungsoo's back, no one had ever spoken to Yifan like that. The General's jaw tightened in annoyance, "you may join us, I am sure your paperwork can wait for a few minutes," Kyungsoo tried to gently extract his hand from Yen Lang's hold.

"Excuse me gentlem-"

"Sit down, Jing Xiu," Yen Lang cut in voice losing its amicable tone, "we haven't finished our tea or our conversation," Yifan looked livid as Kyungsoo slowly lowered himself down hopelessly. Yen Lang let out a heavy sigh as he released Kyungsoo's hand,

"Just sit down, Yifan. I promise I will leave as soon as I finish my tea," he said waving for an attendant to bring out another chair. Yifan took it begrudgingly and mentioned for Kyungsoo to continue his drinking. It was quiet, Kyungsoo kept his eyes trained on his tea cup as the hostility in the air thickened.

"There is a gathering in the town tomorrow," Yen Lang commented pointedly,

"What of it?" 

"You should bring Jing Xiu," 

Silence fell once again, Kyungsoo inwardly sighed,

"Xi Èrjíjiàng told me he would be attending with a few of his men-"

Yifan stood up, his chair scraped across the floor making Kyungsoo wince at it screech.

"I don't know what you're trying to achieve with your small talk but whatever it is, it's useless," Yifan glared at the quiet man, "you may leave after finishing your tea, you know your way out," he turned and strode back into the house, Kyungsoo swallowed a gulp. Yen Lang let out a long sigh before he chuckled, Kyungsoo frowned was the man senile?

"Well that was good progress,"

"Progress?" Kyungsoo wasn't sure if he heard the man right, Kyungsoo studied the man. He had the same commanding aura Yifan did, albeit more mellowed with age. Yen Lang laughed at Kyungsoo's searching gaze,

"You are a curious one, aren't you?"

"You are his father," Kyungsoo blurted out as it dawned on him, that could be the only reason for Yifan's unexplained hostile attitude.

"Ah, and you're smart too. You must have heard about me from Yifan...am I as bad as he says?" Yen Lang looked genuinely interested in how Yifan portrayed him to others,

"He tries to avoid speaking of you," Kyungsoo replied truthfully surprised to see the resignation in the old man's eyes.

"Of course he would," he smiled as he stood up, "well I won't waste your time any longer Jing Xiu. It was a pleasure to meet you, please look after Yifan,"

Kyungsoo rushed to his feet, making the elder chuckle,

"Yes, Sir,"

"Polite as well, I hope you rub off on my son." Kyungsoo bowed as the man left with his escorts. One of the guards approached Kyungsoo after they had left.

"Wu Èrjíjiàng went out, he said he would see you at dinner," Kyungsoo held back a grimace knowing the other must have left in a foul mood, he inhaled deeply energy drained from the tense meeting and headed to his room to rest.

-

"Zitao! Jing Xiu!" Tao and Kyungsoo rushed to the area Yifan was yelling from, "pack your bags we're going to the town and staying overnight," he continued once they were in talking distance.

"May I ask why?" Kyungsoo questioned gently still wary of Yifan's afternoon anger.

"To go to the gathering of course," Yifan answered walking into the house, Kyungsoo and Tao followed quickly trying to keep up with the other's long strides.

"There will be a combat trade," he said as they climbed the stairs, 

"Combat trade?" Kyungsoo looked at Tao questioningly. 

"It is a tradition among the army, different platoons and sections will send in a representative fighter into a ring. Whichever fighter wins can request something of the losing team,"

"Anything?"

"Anything," Tao confirmed, "once someone had to trade their wife," he whispered conspiratorially making Kyungsoo's eyes widen.

"Zitao stop telling lies," Yifan droned not even turning to look at the two, Tao chuckled as Kyungsoo glared at him. He huffed quietly and went to stand beside Yifan,

"I understand you taking Tao, but why me?"

"Would you rather stay here?" Kyungsoo thought it over before shaking his head, "then get packing,"


-

 

Kyungsoo hid behind Yifan as people, civilians and soldiers alike turned to stare at him,

"Do not hide," Yifan scolded as he grabbed Kyungsoo's arm and dragged him forward to walk beside him, Kyungsoo shrunk in on himself shyness increasing.

"I am not comfortable with all this attention, why are they staring?" He asked lower lip trembling,

"Because they're curious," Yifan responded helping Kyungsoo up some unsteady steps, "you are a topic discussed by many. We are," he corrected, "I do not take interest in anyone, it is natural for them to wonder why you are different," 

 Kyungsoo looked at his feet, he wondered the same thing too. A trumpet blew loudly making Kyungsoo jump slightly. A lithe man stepped forward on the opposite dais, another General from the looks of his uniform. He grinned all Cheshire-like when he spotted Yifan. Yifan sighed stepping forward while pushing Kyungsoo back gently into the shade.

"Long time no see, Yifan!" The man called out cheerfully, Yifan's face twisted unimpressed by the other's cheerfulness. 

"Are you here to challenge me, Xi Luhan?" Yifan asked straight to the point, Luhan's lower lip jutted out,

"So cold," he commented airily reminding Kyungsoo of Jongdae when he was trying to annoy Baekhyun, "I am sure it was you who wanted to challenge me, send your fighter out,"

 Kyungsoo moved to stand slightly behind Yifan as Luhan's eyes strayed to him, Yifan urged Tao forward with a tilt of his head commanding Luhan's attention back to the ring. Luhan pursed his lips together.


"How unfair," he lamented as Tao took a step forward, "what is your condition?" Yifan smirked oozing confidence,

"When Zitao wins you give me fifty of your men, I get to select whomever I please,"

Luhan scoffed turning his head to look at his men,

"You're that confident?" Yifan nodded arrogantly. Luhan smiled,

"Fine, a Shàngwèi battle then, Xiumin," the person behind Luhan moved forward slightly into Yifan's line of vision, Yifan snorted before catching himself at Luhan's slightly narrowing eyes.

"What is your condition?" Luhan's smile turned into a smirk as he made a show of pretending to think of what he wanted,

"Your famous Jing Xiu's company for five whole days without you intervening," 

Kyungsoo felt Yifan stiffen beside him before nodding. Kyungsoo breath hitched not because Yifan had just used him as a barter exchange but because he had finally caught sight of who Luhan had sent out to challenge Tao, he froze as the two fighters stepped into the ring.

Kyungsoo followed Jongin into his house and set his things down in the living room,

"Where do you want to work, hyung?" Jongin asked as Kyungsoo looked around.

"We need a place that has the best light," Kyungsoo told Jongin who paused biting his lower lip in thought before nodding,

"I know the perfect place," he gestured for Kyungsoo to follow him. The two chubby kids walked through a hallway before Jongin stopped opening a door, he stepped in gesturing for Kyungsoo to do the same. The other occupant in the room looked up from his book.

"Minseok hyung, this is Kyungsoo Sunbae. He's helping me with painting literature." 

The slightly chubby cheeked boy smiled at Kyungsoo, something about him reassured the-stranger-shy Kyungsoo who seemed to relax suddenly.

"Make yourself at home, Kyungsoo," he stood up looking at his watch, "if you boys need me I'll be in the sparring dojo," the two nodded bowing as Minseok left. Jongin cleared a table,

"Minseok hyung is my cousin, he's already sixteen. He just came back from china a week ago and will be staying with us from now on," 

Kyungsoo nodded,

"Did his parents stay in china?" He questioned innocently, Jongin shook his head leaning forward to whisper,

"They died in an accident along with Minseokkie hyung's baby sister," 

Kyungsoo let out a gasp, 

"That's so sad," Jongin nodded, 

"Mama says that's why Minseok hyung spends so much time in the dojo, she says it's how he releases all his sadness and anger." Jongin paused, "Minseok hyung is a really good fighter, he's small but strong,"

 Kyungsoo blinked pulling himself out of his head, he leaned forward over the railing trying to get a good look at Luhan's fighter. Maybe he had been mistaken, why would Minseok hyung be here with Luhan? Yifan pulled Kyungsoo backwards as the two boys in the ring started circling each other.

 Kyungsoo shrugged his hand off and moved forward as the man Luhan called Xiumin looked up straight at him, Kyungsoo's eyes widened as he winked. A low grumble left Yifan's throat.

"What's going on here?"

Kyungsoo looked up in relief, he hugged his bag tighter to his chest as one of the men sneered.

"What's it to you shorty?"

Something flashed through Minseok's eyes,

"That's my friend you have there and I'd appreciate it if you'd let him go," he stepped forward.

"Or what?" The same man challenged, Minseok smirked as he tossed his school bag to the side lightly. He brought his fists up and crouched low,

"I've been working on a new move, you can be my first test subject," the man laughed before cracking his fist lunging himself at Minseok whose smirk widened as he lowered his body hands shooting out quickly grabbing the huge man and flipping him over as easily as Kyungsoo's maid flipped kimchi pancakes. His foot came down resting on the man's windpipe stilling all his movements. The other men fled seeing their leader so easily beat, the fight ended as soon as it started. Minseok withdrew his foot only to kick the man in the side,

"You stay clear from my friend now, next time I won't be so nice," the man nodded fearfully, Minseok grabbed his bag before walking over to the trembling Kyungsoo. He grinned at Kyungsoo,

"Come on, I'll walk you home,"

Kyungsoo nodded following Minseok closely.

 A cheer rang out through the crowd as Tao's hand shot out trying to grab onto Xiumin who dodged it a little too easily. Kyungsoo leaned forward again eyes widening, Yifan frowned holding onto the back of his jacket out of fear his companion would tip over the railing. Xiumin kept on dodging for a while before Tao managed to land a blow, Kyungsoo's hand flew to his mouth to cover his gasp but the smirk on Xiumin's face reassured him. Xiumin grabbed Tao's outstretched arm as he was pulling back from his punch and twisted it forcing the taller unsuspecting man to his knees. Tao flinched calling his defeat as Xiumin forced his head onto the ground. It was quiet before Luhan started to clap he stepped forward nodding at Xiumin to let Tao go. Luhan looked at Yifan before turning to Kyungsoo who leaned back at the glint in his eyes.

"I believe Jing Xiu is mine for a few days," he held a hand out beckoning Kyungsoo forward, Yifan's hand clenched around his jacket. Kyungsoo looked at him fearfully waiting for him to tell Luhan no but he remained silent, jaw tense.

"Jing Xiu," Kyungsoo looked at Xiumin who grinned calming the butterflies in his stomach and suddenly Kyungsoo had no doubt the man beside Luhan was Minseok, he nodded.

"Umm," he tried to move but Yifan held on tighter, in the end he had to take of his jacket slightly embarrassed at all the questioning looks they were garnering. He walked down over to Luhan and Minseok who supported twin grins. Luhan saluted Yifan,

"Thank you for keeping your word, we will return him to your residence on Saturday," he chirped. Yifan turned to Tao livid, the Captain got to his feet before high tailing out of the place. Luhan mentioned for Minseok and Kyungsoo to follow him out of the makeshift arena, Luhan looked around before he smiled at Kyungsoo,

"I think you and Min have things to talk about I'll leave," Kyungsoo openly gaped at Luhan who smiled at Minseok gently, "call me if you need me," Minseok nodded.

"I am sorry for this,"

"What-" Kyungsoo was cut off as Minseok hugged him, almost crushingly with force.

"I'm sorry, you're the first person I've seen from home," Kyungsoo's hand came up to pat Minseok's head before lowering to hug him back.

"I am glad to see you hyung, how did you manage to end up under Xi Èrjíjiàng?"

Minseok pulled away,

"We've known each other from before the invasion," he explained, "I was in my room about an hour before the initial invasion when Luhan burst in demanding I come with him. He would not take no for an answer that jerk,"

Minseok paused kicking a pebble in their path suddenly looking angry.

"I should have stayed and protected my aunt and uncle, I should have made sure Jongin got away safely but Luhan wouldn't let me! I hate him, he saved me but I hate him," Kyungsoo looked at him sympathetically it didn't sound like Minseok hated Luhan at all, Kyungsoo understood that feeling all too well.

"I'm sure Jongin got out on time, he's a smart boy." Minseok looked at Kyungsoo weirdly before nodding.

"I hope so, enough about me. What of you? I would never have thought you were the one everyone was talking about. What are you to Wu Yifan?"

"I'm his companion, he protects me with the condition I stay by his side,"

Minseok was silent,

"Does he treat you well?"

"Exceptionally well," Kyungsoo confirmed, Minseok's brows furrowed unconvinced. Before he could say anything though Luhan rushed up to them, eyes gleaming excitedly.

"We have to leave, Yifan's mood has worsened," he grabbed Minseok's arm.

"Due to the loss of his champion fighter?" Minseok questioned allowing Luhan to drag the two away, Luhan shook his head eyes turning to Kyungsoo.

"His mood worsens with the loss of Jing Xiu's precious company for the next few days. I did not believe the tales I had heard until today, Jing Xiu must be treated like a king, Minseok,"

Kyungsoo looked around hoping no one overheard Luhan call Minseok by his real name, fortunately the streets had cleared as soon as the fight ended. 

"I will not be outdone by Yifan, what do you wish for Minseok? Ask and I shall comply," Luhan smile froze as he realized the weight of his words. Minseok lowered his gaze.

"My fair Xi Èrjíjiàng, there is nothing I can ask for that you are willing to give," Minseok pulled his arm out of Luhan's grasp and walked to the place his men were waiting. Kyungsoo glanced at Luhan's crestfallen face at a loss of what had just transpired between the Captain and General.

"What does Minseok wish for?" Luhan's hands curled into fists at the question.

"He wishes for freedom," his gaze never left Minseok’s back, he let out a chuckle, but it sounded more hurt than amused to Kyungsoo's ears "I am no different from Yifan after all," he commented confusing Kyungsoo.

-


 Minseok walked Kyungsoo to the room he would be residing in for the next few days, Kyungsoo looked around. It was the polar opposite of the room he occupied in Yifan's manor. It was lighter and softer yet he did not feel at ease. Minseok stood in the doorway.

"Do not hesitate to ask for anything everyone has been informed to cater to your needs, we do not wish for Wu Èrjíjiàng to be displeased at our treatment of you," he teased, Kyungsoo felt his cheeks heat up at the implication of being pampered by Yifan. He scowled halfheartedly. 

"And where will you be if I need you, Luhan's chambers?" Kyungsoo bit back lips twitching upwards only to still when Minseok gave a curt nod.

"But I must warn you he does not like it when people interrupt our time together, especially at night," 

Kyungsoo was sure his face had turned beet red, Minseok chuckled,

"Get your mind out of the gutter, the only reason we share chambers is because he does not trust me enough to not run away in the middle of the night,"

Kyungsoo frowned thoughtfully,

"Yet he trusts you enough to not kill him in his sleep, how puzzling..."

"He is puzzling," Minseok agreed small smile playing on his lips.

He is not the only one, Kyungsoo thought as he watched Minseok walked down the hallway toward Luhan's room whistling cheerfully.

-

 Kyungsoo walked aimlessly around Luhan's manor, he stopped a passing maid asking her of Minseok's whereabouts. Her eyes turned dreamy,

"Xiumin Shàngwèi is on the training grounds behind the manor, Xi Èrjíjiàng is there as well," he nodded thanking her before making his way to said grounds after asking a few more people of its whereabouts. 

 He spotted Minseok first among a few dozen men, confidently instructing them on their next drill. Luhan he found out was on an elevated platform by himself overlooking the training, upon closer inspection Kyungsoo realized he was only watching Minseok. He climbed onto the platform greeting Luhan who merely nodded in reply eyes still glued onto Minseok as he led the men across the grounds in a complicated drill. Kyungsoo bit his lip trying to stop himself from asking but failed,

"Why did you save him?" Luhan finally looked at him eyes surprised, "You know who he really is, so why did you save him?" He continued slightly embarrassed at his boldness. Luhan turned back to the grounds eyes naturally seeking Minseok out.

"I owe him, he saved me once it is only fair that I return the favor," he said albeit nostalgically,

"Is that all there is to it?" Kyungsoo asked gently not wanting to offend Luhan by pointing out the longing look he currently pinned Minseok under.

"That is all there is to it," Luhan confirmed quietly jaw tense as he forced the words out.

-

Another day had passed quite uneventfully as it could in Luhan and Minseok's company.

"Did you two meet in school?" Kyungsoo asked curious, Minseok set his paperwork down with a wry smile and mentioned for Kyungsoo to take the seat across his. The Captain had brought the younger boy with him to the station as Luhan had a meeting to attend to, Kyungsoo sat down eagerly waiting for the revelation.

"We did meet at school," Minseok answered tone lowered as he looked around carefully, he slipped into Korean just to be safe, "we met at a military boarding school in Beijing. Luhan was popular, his father like Wu Èrjíjiàng's was one of the war lords and because of this, Luhan would have gotten a position in the army anyway. There were two types of students, the ones who feared him and the ones who hated and envied him. Unfortunately for Luhan the latter outweighed the former and he found his safety in the school increasingly threatened as time passed,"

Kyungsoo nodded along processing all the information quickly,

"At first it was harmless like hiding his map during location training or his equipment going missing, but then it started getting dangerous. Things started to get physical-" Minseok's grip around his arm rest tightened as his eyes darkened, "after getting cornered and beat up he got locked up in a supply room, when a janitor found him he claimed the bruises on him were allergic reactions to something bad he ate. Instead of being thankful for his silence they got angrier, it got to a point where even the teachers noticed, but what could they do if Luhan refused to say anything?"

Kyungsoo studied Minseok's expression carefully,

"He told me you saved him,"

Minseok paled at the memory,

"Do you remember Yixingie?" 

"The Chinese diplomat's son?"

Minseok nodded,

"My parents were just like his and I had to move to China when I was 8, I was sent to the academy when I was 11. I met Luhan that day..." Minseok trailed off he was staring at Kyungsoo yet his eyes were clouded, "I was assigned to room with him, I remember opening the door ready to introduce myself when I saw his back. He was about to take off his shirt probably coming back after class, I thought he would have felt it and would have stopped but he didn't,"

"Felt what?" 

"There was a grenade pin tied to the edge of his shirt, a few seconds after pulling off his shirt it would have exploded-"

"What?!" Kyungsoo's eyes widened in shock.

"I didn't think as soon as he pulled off his shirt I dove for the grenade, you can't imagine what I felt when I caught it. I threw it out of the window with barely any time left, the explosion wasn't big enough to blow up the entire area but it shattered all the windows and would have severely injured if not kill, Luhan." Minseok let out a humorless chuckle.

"You-you really did save him, I thought it was just a figure of speech..."

Kyungsoo lowered his eyes to Minseok's shaking hands, even more than a decade later it was clear the elder was still affected. He continued,

"It took me awhile to realize Luhan was talking to me, my ears were still ringing from the explosion I didn't even know I had fallen to the ground. The first thing that idiot asked me was my name, no 'are you alright?' Or 'thank you'." Minseok smiled.

"Before I had met Luhan my Chinese name was Min Xiu, Luhan hated it and forced me to change it. He demanded me to change it to Xiumin,"

 Kyungsoo's brows furrowed, why had Luhan bothered with the order of Minseok's name? It would have still had the same meaning. As if sensing Kyungsoo's thoughts Minseok answered.

"Luhan said 'Xiu' must come first because I was first and foremost pretty, then 'Min' after referring to my agility," he laughed at Kyungsoo's incredulous look,

"I told him he was crazy and that he shouldn't be worrying about my name when he had almost exploded. He merely waved my worries away and dragged me to the registry office in town to change my name,"

"You allowed him to change your name?!"

Minseok shrugged,

"We were eleven and I didn't know who his father was, I thought the people in the office would brush us off and send us back to the academy." Minseok chuckled at the memory, "I learned quickly that what Luhan wants he gets, in less than a week Min Xiu no longer existed. I became Xiumin, the only person Luhan could trust and that's how I ended up here. The end. Have I satisfied your life story cravings?" Minseok asked teasingly, Kyungsoo fought his blush and nodded. The door slammed open, Minseok barely flinched as Luhan came in paper bag in hand,

"Baozi for my baozi," he announced cheerfully, Minseok rolled his eyes.

"That joke is getting old," he said waving Luhan's hands away from his face, the grin Luhan supported grew as he continued to pester Minseok. Kyungsoo sat back comfortably watching the two grown men act like 12 year olds with a smile on his face. In his mental list of things to protect from this war, Luhan and Minseok's friendship would have definitely taken a high spot.

-

 On his fourth day with Luhan and Minseok, Kyungsoo decided the two were a match made in heaven or hell with the way they thought. As soon as he had joined them for breakfast the two had turned to him with matching grins,

"Do you want to go pay Wu Èrjíjiàng a visit, Jing Xiu?" Minseok asked tone light, Kyungsoo shrugged trying to hide his excitement making Luhan's grin grow,

"Are you up for a little prank, Jing Xiu?"


-


 Yifan looked up at the guard by his door, he stood up slowly asking the guard to repeat himself. He did and Yifan strode out of his office quickly eager to see Kyungsoo. He entered the foyer and stopped mouth almost dropping open in shock as his Kyungsoo stood between Luhan and Minseok in a white soldier's uniform. Luhan grinned placing a hand on Kyungsoo's shoulder,

"Surprise! We enrolled him in the army!" Yifan's eye twitched,

"You what?" He asked oddly calm for someone raging on the inside, Kyungsoo seemed to know as he shook Luhan's hand off warningly. Yifan's nostrils flared as he took a step forward, Minseok's brows furrowed as he belatedly realized they might have pushed Yifan a little too far, the other was still sore from losing Kyungsoo to them. Luhan on the other hand was either oblivious or wanted to see Yifan throw a fit, Minseok bet his life it was the latter.

"He'll be training under Xiumin from now on so you-" it all happened so fast, Minseok jerked Luhan backwards as Yifan lunged forward hurtling insults at the other General. Kyungsoo jumped in front of Yifan hands coming up to push against his chest trying to create space between him and Luhan.

"Calm down!" He yelled over Yifan's shouts, Yifan struggled for a few seconds before realizing Kyungsoo was the one holding him. He stopped hands coming up to clutch at Kyungsoo shoulders, taking to shaking him aggressively instead. Minseok made a move to help Kyungsoo but Luhan held him back afraid Yifan would strangle him in his place.

"Have you gone insane?" Yifan roared making Kyungsoo flinch, "you are-" he trailed off as Kyungsoo looked up at him fearfully, eyes tearing slightly.

"It's a joke, Yifan. I am not joining the army," Yifan's arms dropped to his side. Kyungsoo took a step back, Yifan reached out remorsefully. He grabbed onto Kyungsoo's shoulders gently this time.

"I apologize for overreacting, I've not been sleeping well lately," it was not a lie, the tall General looked absolutely wrecked. His hand reached out tenderly brushing against Kyungsoo's jaw in apology of his earlier harsh actions. Kyungsoo pulled away turning to the shocked silent duo,

"Thank you for your hospitality but I think I need to stay with Yifan, may I?"

Luhan nodded dumbly pulling the unblinking Minseok along with him towards the exit.

 

-

January 1951

 Kyungsoo made his way to the dining hall for breakfast, he yawned eyes shutting as he rubbed them tiredly. He had spent the night tossing and turning after countless nightmares of home, family and friends. The sound of laughter drifted up from the courtyard making Kyungsoo frown in confusion, he stopped a passing guard.

"Is anyone here?" The guard nodded gesturing to the courtyard from an open window, Kyungsoo swiftly changed directions he didn't want to entertain any of Yifan's guests today. He exited through the back door and entered the seldom used garden.

"Kyungsoo?" Kyungsoo stopped heart dropping at the use of his real name. He turned slowly before letting out a gasp. Jongdae stood up eyes wide as he looked at Kyungsoo from head to toe. The two were similarly dressed in fine clothing that was not too plain nor too extravagant, proof of being well looked after. Kyungsoo stepped forward eyes tearing slightly as Jongdae grinned, a sight that was now foreign but welcomed to Kyungsoo.

"Didn't I say we'd meet aga-" he broke off stumbling backwards as Kyungsoo barreled into him incoherent sentences falling from his mouth, Jongdae laughed heartily arms coming up to wrap around Kyungsoo. He rested his chin on Kyungsoo's shoulder savoring his warmth,

"You must be the famous Jing Xiu," Jongdae commented voice light with teasing, he felt Kyungsoo's body shake with silent laughter,

"I am actually," Jongdae pulled back expression incredulous as he looked at Kyungsoo properly,

"Seriously?" He asked eyes filled with wonder, "you're Wu Èrjíjiàng's, Jing Xiu? His consort?" Kyungsoo nodded making Jongdae laugh amused, his friend always seemed to have the weirdest terms that came with blessings.

"Well Jing Xiu, I am Chen," Kyungsoo pulled away but he held onto Jongdae's hands staring at them.

"I can't believe you're here," he whispered eyes starting to sting, "my heart is at ease to see you safe, I can't begin to express how happy I am,"

"The feeling is mutual," Jongdae said freeing a hand to caress Kyungsoo's cheek fondly, "and you need not worry, when I left your mother was put under house arrest while your father was taken in for questioning and I heard Seungsoo joined the Resistance."

Kyungsoo nodded heart getting lighter by the second,

"And what of your family? How do they fare?" Jongdae's hand dropped as he lowered his gaze, Kyungsoo caught sight of Jongdae's shiny eyes and held back his gasp,

"No," he whispered refusing to believe it, a slightly blurry baby Jongtae's smile flashed through his head. The baby's smile was so much like Jongdae's that their parents were convinced that when he grew up he would be a replica of their older son. Kyungsoo's chest tightened at the thought of that not happening anymore, Jongdae tried to smile as he saw how unhappy Kyungsoo had become, it only served to make Kyungsoo angrier as he hit a fist against Jongdae's chest.

"No hyung, don't you dare smile!" He hissed eyes b with tears on behalf of Jongdae, "you're not fine so don't pretend to be,"

Jongdae's smile wobbled before it dropped completely, a tear ran down his face,

"It hurts Soo, but I have to act like I didn't even lose my whole family..." Jongdae paused and Kyungsoo's heart clenched painfully as another tear made its way down Jongdae's face, "three months of smiling and acting like I'm part of a family who's country assisted in killing mine," Jongdae let out a choked sound, hand coming up to clutch his chest, "I wake up every day wondering how long will it take before I become insane from all this acting," Kyungsoo wiped Jongdae's tears away looking around for guards before dragging him further away from the house.

 By the time the two returned it was almost noon and the house was filled with shouts, Kyungsoo's eyes widened as he recognized it as Yifan. He grabbed Jongdae's hand urging him to hurry, the yelling stopped as soon as the two made their appearance. Yifan marched towards Kyungsoo face red with unmasked anger,

"Where were you? I've told you that I must be informed if you leave the grounds, what part of that did you not understand?!"

 Kyungsoo flinched backwards, it had been weeks since he was last yelled at.

"I apologize Wu Èrjíjiàng, I am at fault here," Jongdae said stepping forward protectively, a stance everybody noted with interest, "I dragged Jing Xiu away for a tour of your base area and town,"

Yifan's eyes narrowed threateningly,

"And who are you?"

Yixing walked over placing a hand on Jongdae's shoulder,

"Wu Èrjíjiàng, this is Chen, my younger brother,"

"You look nothing alike,"

"As we should seeing we are not of same mothers,"

 Yifan regarded the two for a few seconds before he reached forward grabbing Kyungsoo and dragging him to his side.

"Come, lunch is served," he said placing his hand on Kyungsoo's lower back possessively. The motion didn't go unnoticed by Yixing and Jongdae who traded glances with each other before following Yifan.

 

-


 Much to Yifan's displeasure Yixing was to stay for two days to discuss political matters before he returned to the city, Kyungsoo for once was excited and had gravitated towards Jongdae throughout the day whenever Yifan was occupied.

"So Chen, how are you and Jing Xiu acquainted?"

 Jongdae paused taken by surprised at being addressed by the man who had done nothing but scowl at him since they had sat down for dinner that night. Yixing came to his rescue,

"They were classmates, just like Xiumin and I. They were also both born in Korea,"

 Kyungsoo kept his eyes on his plate as Yifan looked at him, from the corner of his eye he saw Yifan's brows furrow a sign of both displeasure and curiosity at Yixing's answer.

"Jing Xiu does not speak about school much," he commented hand dropping heavily onto Kyungsoo's knee. Kyungsoo lifted his eyes from his plate,

"There is nothing interesting about school, Yifan. I wasn't much good at it either," Jongdae put down his chopsticks,

"Why are you being modest? You should see his paintings, he paints the sunset better than the sky does. People oceans away came to buy his work every year without fail," Jongdae boasted, Yifan raised a brow. That would explain Kyungsoo's frequent trips to their gallery,

"Do you not paint anymore, Xiu?" Jongdae questioned with a frown, Kyungsoo shook his head eyes lowering sadly,

"That is unacceptable! If my brother allows we shall go to the town tomorrow, I will buy you all the supplies you need!" Jongdae looked at Yixing who shrugged amused at the outburst,

"I cannot accept, Jo- Chen," nobody noticed the slip more interested at the outraged look both Yifan and Jongdae supported for different reasons.

"I will buy you the supplies whether you want it or not. It is up to you to come with me to buy them," Jongdae pretended to ponder, "Although I would probably choose wrong and just waste money,"

 Kyungsoo bit his lower lip and turned his wide eyed gaze to Yifan whose scowl dropped to a mere downturn of lips,

"May I?" Kyungsoo asked meekly,

"May you what?"

"Accompany Chen," Kyungsoo replied quietly, Yifan internally groaned as he saw the hopeful look in Kyungsoo's eyes. He gave a curt nod,

"I will be busy tomorrow anyway," he said, Kyungsoo smiled and the edges of Yifan's lips twitched upwards in return.

 

-


Kyungsoo and Jongdae walked around the market in high spirits buying Kyungsoo's painting supplies and stopping by random stalls to try food. Jongdae dragged Kyungsoo to an iron smith at the edge of the stall line,

"Rings?" He questioned surprised, not expecting it, 

"Metal is scarce, Sir. We make what we can," the owner answered lowering his head humbly. Jongdae nodded understandingly, 

"I'll take two," he pulled Kyungsoo forward, "one his size and one mine," he continued with a mischievous grin, the owner nodded putting rings forward for them to try. Jongdae let out a pleased sound when he found out there were engraving on the inner band of the rings. 

 He picked one up studying it intently before grabbing Kyungsoo's left hand and slipping it onto his ring finger. He let out a victorious cry at the perfect fit, Kyungsoo tried to take it off wanting to see the engraving but was stopped.

"It's wings," Jongdae told him searching for a ring for himself,

"Wings.. Why wings?"

"Because meeting you again gave me hope," Jongdae answered as if it was the most obvious thing in the world, 

 Kyungsoo pretended to gag at the sweet words earning him a soft punch in the arm, he bent down beside Jongdae helping him with his search. A ring caught his attention, he held it up placing it in Jongdae's palm. The other studied it,

"Infinity..." He thought about it glancing at Kyungsoo who gave him a meaningful look, he nodded, "we will buy these two," he told the owner beating Kyungsoo again with the payment. Kyungsoo let out a resigned huff as Jongdae put his ring on happily,

"Now we can go home, your bodyguards look tired," Kyungsoo hid his amused smile as he survey the burly men tailing them, as Jongdae said they looked tired from following the two energetic boys all day. Kyungsoo glanced at the setting sun before waving one of the men forward,

"We're done," he nodded directing the two to the waiting car.



 Jongdae sat beside Kyungsoo as Yifan and Yixing continued their unfinished discussion at the dinner table. A few other politicians joined them that night all seated on the right side of the table. Jongdae and Kyungsoo carried out their conversation in Korean,

"You must paint me," Jongdae declared waving his hand around, Kyungsoo scoffed,

"The last time I painted you, you complained that I made you look horrendous,"

Jongdae rolled his eyes,

"I was nine!" He emphasized pinching Kyungsoo's cheek hard, "are you going to hold that against me forever? You and your grudg-"

"Chen," Yixing said interrupting their conversation, "where did you get that ring? I've never seen you wear it before," he commented catching Yifan's attention, Jongdae took the ring off slipping it across the table to Yixing,

"We got it in the marketplace today," he told his pseudo brother who examined the ring,

"Why infinity?" He questioned, Jongdae smiled at Kyungsoo,

"Just as a remembrance to a promise I made to Jing Xiu when we were younger, Yixing smiled at the two,

"That's nice," he commented sincerely sliding the ring back to Jongdae, "I take it you've got one as well," he said turning to Kyungsoo whose left hand was under the table. Kyungsoo nodded uneasily spotting the frown making its way to Yifan's face. Yixing laughed, "you two are adorable, friendship rings at twenty-one. Wouldn't the world be a wonderful place if everyone was as close as you two?"

"It would be," Jongdae agreed airily ignoring the glare directed at him.

"Let me see it," Yifan spoke up making everyone turn to him, Kyungsoo shook his head knowing once Yifan got a hold of it he'd probably never get it back again.

He glanced at Jongdae who suddenly looked smug, Kyungsoo's eyes narrowed. He was set up, Jongdae wanted Yifan to be angry. It was like a repeat of the time Kyungsoo had befriended Chanyeol, Jongdae had done something similar calling it the 'staking my claim game'. He nudged Jongdae warningly under the table,

"Cut it out," he said in Korean, Jongdae's eyes twinkled,

"But it's so fun," he argued winking at him,

"This isn't a game," Kyungsoo almost hissed, not looking forward to Yifan’s bad mood.

"I'm sure whatever you two are talking about can be shared," Yifan drawled out barely masking his annoyance. Jongdae scoffed arrogantly earning shocked looks,

"Must you know everything that Jing Xiu does? Aren't you busy playing soldier in your little war," Yixing’s mouth parted in shock at the intentional insult, he kicked Jongdae under the table, 

"Behave," he hissed earning a thankful look from Kyungsoo.

"You dare insult me?" Yifan asked eyes narrowed, "are you aware of what I am capable of?" The grin on Jongdae's face slipped as his face twisted in anger, 

"Oh, I know perfectly well of what you're capable of," Jongdae chuckled humorously, sending chills down a few spines, "what do you have to be proud of? It's sickening how you act all high and mighty reveling in power when all you do is destroy!"

Kyungsoo pushed his plate away appetite dissolved at Jongdae's harsh yet, truthful words, 

"How does it feel to know while you sit in here eating, more blood is getting spilled elsewhere under your command? Men, women, children, all sacrificed for a choice they didn't even make!" The other visitors squirmed uncomfortably in their chairs, "you sit here and all you care about is the fact that your 'companion'-" everyone turned to Kyungsoo on cue, "-is wearing a ring and that I insulted you? How pathetic-"

"Excuse me," Kyungsoo said standing up suddenly unable to hear more, all eyes turned to him. "Enjoy your dinner gentlemen, it seems that I am more tired than usual I apologize," he pushed away from the table and left the dining room ignoring the heated gaze that followed him out.


-


 Kyungsoo tossed and turned in his bed five hours had passed since he had retired to his room but sleep had yet to come to him, he sighed as he sat up in bed. He did not look forward to tomorrow knowing Yifan was probably angry with him, he hugged a pillow to his chest and was about to lay down again to try resume his sleep when he heard a knock on his door. He frowned as he got off his bed, he pressed his ear against the door,

"Who is it?" He asked quietly.

"It's me," Kyungsoo opened his door to peak out at Jongdae who grinned sheepishly at him,

"Are you up for a walk?" He asked hopefully, Kyungsoo frowned still miffed at Jongdae for provoking Yifan earlier and causing an uproar during dinner,

"Now?" Jongdae nodded,

"Can't sleep you know," he admitted tiredly eyes swimming with fatigue, Kyungsoo's eyes softened and he stepped out of his room thankfully still dressed in his attire from dinner. Jongdae took a step back,

"The sky is beautiful tonight," he whispered as they walked towards the kitchen whose door Kyungsoo knew was unguarded. Kyungsoo shivered as the cold air hit him, he looked up Jongdae was right it was a beautiful night. Jongdae chuckled as they continued to walk on aimlessly,

"Do you remember the night I convinced you, Baekhyun and Chanyeol to sneak out when we were seventeen and we all landed a night in prison because Chanyeol's parents thought he was a burglar trying to break in," Kyungsoo's lips twitched upwards at the memory, he nodded,

"How can I forget my father almost killed me, he had people watch me for months,"

"At least you didn't get bars put around your window," 

 Kyungsoo laughed remembering the fit Chanyeol and Baekhyun threw when their fathers both good friends decided to put bars around their sons' windows as punishment. Jongdae let out a sigh, shaking his head.

"Those two had it coming though, they were trouble makers from the start. Their fathers' were probably just waiting for the right opportunity to punish them," Kyungsoo nodded in agreement, he briefly wondered what had happened to the two before pushing the thought away. He only wanted to remember the good tonight, he grinned.

"Do you remember the time we thought we had killed, Jongin," Jongdae snorted before letting out a sharp bark of laughter, Kyungsoo slapped a hand over his mouth but tears were starting to gather at the corner of his eyes as he tried to keep silent. The two scurried further from the house before laughing out heartily. Kyungsoo wiped the tears gathering at the corner of his eyes as Jongdae tried to catch his breath. Kyungsoo's smile softened, they had lost a lot but at least they still had each other.


-

 Kyungsoo bid Jongdae goodbye at his door, he entered his room happier than when he left it. He shucked off his outer clothing and shoes before making his way to his bed with a smile.

"Did you have a nice walk?" Kyungsoo jumped startled head whipping to his armchair by the window. Yifan stood up slowly stretching out tense muscles a sign that he had been there for a long time, Kyungsoo took a step back. Yifan cocked his head to the side,

"Why do you look so guilty?" He questioned as he approached Kyungsoo, "I was feeling bad about what happened earlier and had hoped to maybe cheer you up but it seems I was beaten to it,"

"Yifan, I-"

"You don't need to explain, Jing Xiu. I am tired will you accompany me to bed," Yifan sidestepped Kyungsoo walking towards his bed, he looked over his shoulder at Kyungsoo who followed wordlessly head bowed.

 Yifan laid down on his side facing the part Kyungsoo would lie on, Kyungsoo slipped in eyes shutting immediately. He felt Yifan shift closer before he placed a hand on Kyungsoo's waist cautiously.

"I do not like Chen," Kyungsoo stilled, "but I will try my best to be civil," he opened his eyes to stare at Yifan. The man looked at him hopefully wanting to call a truce and Kyungsoo finally understood Yifan's attitude towards Jongdae. Yifan was afraid of being replaced of being lonely of not having Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo moved closer resting his head against Yifan's chest, he heard Yifan's heartbeat pick up slightly as Yifan jumped not expecting Kyungsoo's actions.

"I appreciate it, I really do," Kyungsoo whispered heart beating rapidly in warning, Yifan only pulled him closer in response.


-

July 1951

 Noise brought Kyungsoo and Yifan out into the courtyard, Minseok and Luhan, their visitors for the day, following closely behind. A military truck was pulled up by the gate, Yifan frowned telling Kyungsoo to stay put as he and Luhan approached the uniformed personal that was waiting. 

"What is going on?" Kyungsoo questioned apprehensively, Minseok shrugged lightly trying to read the soldier's lips but it was impossible due to the distance. Yifan and Luhan took a step back as the back of the truck was opened, Kyungsoo could hear the chains before he saw them. Minseok stiffened, 

"War prisoners," he breathed out anger seeping through his tone, Kyungsoo moved closer to his hyung as the first prisoner stepped off the truck, haggard and dirty. A dozen boys followed head bowed submissively, Kyungsoo lowered his gaze as the boys were put in a line. There was no doubt about it the boys were Korean, he felt Minseok's fingers wrap around his forearm squeezing painfully.

 He looked up following Minseok's gaze and felt his breath catch as a pair of familiar eyes locked with his. Kyungsoo stepped forward name already on the tip of his tongue, the prisoner lowered his head silencing Kyungsoo. Minseok let out an angry sound as he tried to tug Kyungsoo back into place,

"Step back, Jing Xiu," he hissed purposely using his alias to bring him back to focus, Yifan had noticed his reaction and was looking at him oddly. 

"Jongin is safe," the soldiers around the prisoner frowned at the foreign language spilling from his lips, tears prickled the back of Kyungsoo's eyes. Minseok's hold on him loosened at the mention of his cousin's name. The prisoner was punched in the ribs for speaking out, Kyungsoo flinched as he doubled over, the chains around his hands rattled. Tears of pain streaked down his face,

"B-Baekhyun and Chanyeol also got out on time," Kyungsoo rushed forward in a mad run as the same guard lifted his hand about to strike the prisoner again. Eyes widened as Kyungsoo threw himself in front of the prisoner arms wrapping around him protectively, his chest heaved as he panted,

"Enough," he pleaded eyes darting to Yifan's furious slitted ones, "please," 

 The guard looked at Yifan at a loss of what to do, the general strode forward grabbing Kyungsoo's arm yanking him away from the stunned prisoner. Kyungsoo stumbled against Yifan.

"Take them away, I will deal with them later." His grip on Kyungsoo tightened painfully as he dragged him back into his office. Luhan and Minseok were smart enough to stay away. Yifan pushed Kyungsoo into a chair roughly, it scraped backwards at the force.

"Are you insane?" He roared anger at its peak, Kyungsoo shrank backward in his seat.

"Are you an idiot-" Yifan's voice shook, "that prisoner could have snapped your pretty little neck with those chains!" 

Kyungsoo lowered his gaze remaining silent,

"I swear," Yifan promised darkly, hands twitching at his sides, "if you do something as reckless as that again, I'll keep you locked in your room until this war is over. Do you understand?"

Kyungsoo nodded obediently flinching when Yifan slammed the door behind him as he exited angrily, the door opened again admitting Minseok. He sighed when he saw the tiny Kyungsoo,

"You really messed up, he was willing to protect us by pretending not to know us," he commented as Kyungsoo stood up walking towards the window,

"I'm tired of pretending," he said exasperated, "I couldn't just stand there and watch him getting beat up because of me,"

"This is a war, sacrifices have to be made," Kyungsoo looked out of the window as Minseok spoke,

"Do you not think we have sacrificed enough, hyung?" He questioned gently.

Minseok's brows furrowed not knowing how to answer Kyungsoo,

"Just be careful," he warned before leaving as Luhan peaked out from behind the door.


-

"Shàngwèi," Tao looked up from his report putting down the papers that contained the prisoners information.

"Jing Xiu, does Wu Èrjíjiàng know you're here?"

 Kyungsoo's silence was the answer to Tao's question, he groaned Yifan was going to kill him. He picked up the phone about to inform the General of his companion's whereabouts when Kyungsoo placed a hand over his. Tao's movements halted and he let Kyungsoo push his hand down gently phone connecting back with the receiver.

"Help me see a prisoner?" The other half-whispered, half-pleaded. People were starting to look over noting with interest the joined hands of the Captain and Yifan's consort. Tao pulled his hand away from Kyungsoo's, he wanted to cry Yifan would definitely kill him now. Yes, he would definitely kill him.

"Which one?" Kyungsoo smiled, he leaned over Tao's table excited as he pointed at one picture.

"Kim Junmyeon,"


Tao sighed as Kyungsoo stumbled down the stairs on their way to the basement, he grabbed the back of the consort's shirt forcing him to slow down. 

"Slowly, it's not like the prisoners will go anywhere," he muttered making Kyungsoo shoot him a glare at his dry attempt of humor, Tao's lower lip jutted out, "need I remind you I'm putting my job and life on the line to help you?" Kyungsoo's glare dissolved as he nodded.

"I appreciate your help, Shàngwèi." Tao rolled his eyes at Kyungsoo's bipolar attitude, Yifan's consort was charming, but a handful nonetheless.

"Three minutes, Jing Xiu. That is all I can allow," he said gesturing to a cell , Kyungsoo nodded.

"I understand," he moved towards the cell slowly, the prisoner was sitting down slumped against the wall he was chained to. Tao unlocked the door holding it open for Kyungsoo to step into, Kyungsoo approached the prisoner,

"Junmyeon hyung," he croaked voice failing him as the other lifted his head, exposing his blood-caked bruised face. Kyungsoo dropped to his knees in front of the boy lowering his head until it reached the ground, he heard Tao's sharp intake of breath at the gesture. The grime on the cell floor soaked into Kyungsoo's cotton trousers

"Don't," Junmyeon protested weakly, chains rattling as he tried to reach Kyungsoo to pull him up. The younger did not budge from his position, bending even lower.

"This is all my fault," his voice wavered, Junmyeon nudged him angrily with his toes.

"They would have beaten me up anyway, now get up." Although weakened Junmyeon's tone was strong, "your father would be disappointed to see you on your knees so get up," Kyungsoo lifted his head, eyes determined.

"I will get you out of here," he promised pulling out the water he had brought, he shifted closer lifting it to Junmyeon's lips letting the older boy drink before helping clean his face with his sleeves. When he pulled back his pale hands and sleeves were stained red, but it didn't matter because Junmyeon was smiling,

"It is nice to see you still have your fighting spirit," he commented wincing when the skin on his split lip tore more with his words, "I do not doubt you Kyungsoo, but I do not want to see you end up chained next to me. Do not do anything reckless," 

Kyungsoo frowned,

"Why does everyone keep sayi-"

"Jing Xiu!" Tao hissed looking franticly up the staircase, "your time is up, quickly move into the empty cell," he continued waving Kyungsoo over as voices started to drift down the staircase. Kyungsoo shot up at Yifan's voice, sending one last look at Junmyeon before ducking under Tao's arm and into an unoccupied cell. Tao threw a quilt over him before walking back to stand in front of Junmyeon's cell.

"Shàngwèi," Yifan greeted eyes narrowed, "why are you down here?" He questioned as Luhan and Minseok peered into the cell curiously.

"Just checking up on this prisoner,"

"How accommodating, you even gave him water," Tao glanced at the water by Junmyeon's feet and silently cursed Kyungsoo.

"Of course, this prisoner could have useful information. He has to be kept alive," Tao replied reasonably, Yifan scoffed.

"You are not the only one that wants to keep him alive," he commented, from the corner of his eye Tao saw the sheep quilt shift. He wasn't the only one, Luhan turned confused his mouth parted about to voice out the odd movement, Minseok grabbed his hand.

"Xiumin ah, did you see-"

"Xi Èrjíjiàng," he tugged Luhan's hand forcing the general in question to look at him, "I feel slightly light-headed," he lied smoothly, "will you accompany me outside?"

Luhan nodded eagerly, excusing himself and Minseok before dragging the other up the staircase.

"Was it something you ate? Or was it too stuffy in the basement..." Luhan's questions faded away as they climbed the staircase. Yifan turned his attention back to Junmyeon,

"Can he speak Mandarin?"

Tao shrugged telling him the prisoner refused to speak, Yifan frowned,

"I am guessing he went to the same school Jing Xiu went to," he commented making Junmyeon raise his head, Tao paled at the mocking glance the prisoner sent Yifan.

"What makes you say that?" Tao questioned uneasily,

"Jing Xiu is not stupid, he would not jump to the defense of a complete stranger, a prisoner at that," Yifan answered fingers curling around the cell's bars, he glanced at Tao, 

"Tighten the security around this one, I do not like him,"

"The feeling is mutual," Junmyeon mocked in perfect mandarin, "but who cares about your opinion, Jing Xiu likes me," Junmyeon smirked as Yifan's eyes darkened, "and the feeling is mutual, Èrjíjiàng." Yifan tore himself away from the cell at the prisoner's low blow,

"No water for a day," he told Tao before striding up the steps, footsteps loud, heavy and angry. Kyungsoo threw the sheep skin off him,

"I have to get home, Tao, look after him for me! Hyung, I'll be back," He left without waiting for Tao's or Junmyeon's answers.


-

 Kyungsoo darted into his room bolting the door behind him as he shed his dirty clothing. He threw it into the laundry basket as he pulled on new clothes. A loud knock filled the air,

"Jing Xiu," Kyungsoo ran to the mirror patting down his awry fringe, he looked over his reflection once before opening the door. A warm plastic bag was forced into his hands as Yifan brushed by him, Kyungsoo shut the door glancing into the plastic,

"Rice cakes," was all Yifan said as he sat down in the armchair by the window, Kyungsoo nodded that explained how he got home before Yifan.

"Thank you," Kyungsoo sat in the seat opposite Yifan, this was probably the closest Yifan would come to apologising.

"What have you been up to?" The General asked attention on his soldiers marching outside, Kyungsoo shifted uncomfortably.

"Nothing significant, I went for a walk," Yifan turned his attention to him, it was quiet.

"I went to see the prisoners," he finally said, "Kim Junmyeon.. You know him?"

Kyungsoo nodded, he did not see how he could lie when Junmyeon had admitted to knowing him.

"He was my senior in school," he added,

"Was he now..." Yifan's gaze was calculating, "he must be very smart- dangerous even," the glint in Yifan's eyes made Kyungsoo's blood run cold, "he could pose a very big threat if he's not dealt with-"

"No," Yifan looked displeased at the disruption, "please don't hurt him, he's not a threat, I promise," Kyungsoo said quickly almost pleading, Yifan's lips curled in distaste,

"How can you be so sure?"

"I'm not, but-"

"There is no need for you to be concerned over this, he will be dealt with accordingly," Kyungsoo's hands shook in his lap,

"Yifan, please..." He trailed off at Yifan's narrowed gaze,

"What makes you think whatever you say will change my mind?" He asked cruelly, "your senior," he hissed, "will probably be beheaded for being part of the rebellion," 

Kyungsoo felt repulsed at the smug look Yifan supported, his stomach twisted and he hurriedly stood up rushing to the bathroom missing the way Yifan's expression shifted to concern. He pushed the door open weakly barely reaching the sink as his stomach decided to empty itself. He grimaced at the bitter taste and leaned against the counter for support, a hand landed on his back rubbing it comfortingly. Kyungsoo recoiled from the touch,

"I'd like to be alone," he whispered hoarsely eyes meeting Yifan's through the mirror, the General's jaw tightened as he gave a curt nod. The bathroom door slammed shut behind him, Kyungsoo sighed as he opened the tap to rinse his mouth, Yifan was angry with him, again. What Kyungsoo would do later will no doubt infuriate him. He wiped his mouth with his sleeve, he had to make a few phone calls.

 

-

 

Kyungsoo opened his door, Jongdae struggled with the tray he was holding. Kyungsoo took it from him,

"Yifan said you were sick, how are you feeling? I'm surprised he even called-"

Jongdae shut the door, Kyungsoo put the tray of food down and gestured for Jongdae to lock it. He did with a raised brow,

"What are you up to?"

"I'm not sick," Kyungsoo confessed,

"Yes, I figured that out. Why are you pretending to be sick?" Jongdae asked amused at Kyungsoo's lie. Kyungsoo lowered his voice,

"I need your help- I-i-" he stuttered betraying his fear, "I want to break someone out of prison," he said in a rush. Jongdae's brows furrowed,

"Have you gone insane?" He shook his head, "I'm not going to help you, you're going to get us killed-" 

"It's Junmyeon Sunbae," Jongdae fell silent,

"Who?" He asked not believing Kyungsoo, Junmyeon was probably the only person Jongdae actually listened to back home. The two, neighbors since infants were almost like brothers,

"Junmyeon Sunbae," Kyungsoo repeated slightly louder,

"Hyung is here?" 

Kyungsoo nodded, Jongdae took a seat slightly shaken.

"Is he alright?"

"He's been beat up, I fear if he stays there any longer..." He trailed off knowing Jongdae knew what he was implying, "will you help me?" Jongdae nodded without hesitation this time.


-


 A few hours passed, Kyungsoo glanced outside of his window. Because of the rain there was no night march tonight, he and Jongdae could sneak out through the back.

"Are you sure about this?" Jongdae asked for the nth time as they stepped under the pouring rain, "maybe we should make sure first-"

"We do not have time to make sure Jongdae, this is the only night I'll be able to sneak out," Kyungsoo cut in agitated, "do you want to save Junmyeon Sunbae or not?"

Jongdae stopped asking after that,

"I just don't want to get caught, not after all we've been through," he said making Kyungsoo feel guilty.

"Hyung," he said gently rain almost drowning out his voice, "just trust me on this,"

Jongdae gave a swift nod in reply and followed Kyungsoo obediently. With much effort on Jongdae's part they managed to get over a few walls with minimum scratching but many bruises.

"Higher, Dae," Kyungsoo whispered as Jongdae tried to lift him over the last wall, Jongdae grunted using all his energy to hoist Kyungsoo up without throwing him over the other side. The younger boy successfully got on top of the wall extending his hand to Jongdae. They landed on the other side with a small thud, Jongdae looked around anxiously,

"They'll only guard the front, I'm sure they aren't aware of the secret passage that leads to the basement unless they've read up on their history," Kyungsoo said crawling towards the building,

"And if there are guards?" Jongdae asked, Kyungsoo paused,

"Then we'll have to kill them," Kyungsoo smiled as Jongdae's jaw dropped, "I'm just kidding, let's just say I made a phone call earlier to deliver something that will help our hardworking military police to go to sleep," Kyungsoo pointed to an open window where sure enough a guard was slumped against the side dozing off as another yawned eyes unfocused. Jongdae shook his head,

"I am not sure whether I am impressed or scared. I'll make sure not to ingest anything you give me in the future," Kyungsoo suppressed a chuckle, focusing on their goal at the moment

"Come now, we have a person to free." Jongdae nodded more enthusiastic this time.


-


"Wu Èrjíjiàng!" The base was in havoc, "Wu Èrjíjiàng!" footsteps filled the air, loud, heavy and frantic.

 Kyungsoo coughed into his palm cheeks flushed from the fever he had gotten from being in the rain and crawling through the mud the night before. Jongdae shook his head at the pleased grin his sick friend supported. He adjusted Kyungsoo covers as the door to his room burst open, a fuming Yifan entered waving a finger at Kyungsoo angrily.

"What did you do?" He demanded voice loud, Kyungsoo coughed again rejecting the water Jongdae offered.

"When?" Kyungsoo questioned voice rough, Yifan's brows furrowed as he looked at Kyungsoo closely,

"Are you ill?"

"It's just a fever, it will pass," Kyungsoo commented sniffling slightly, he waved Yifan's face away almost slapping him. Being sick always made him irate.

"You've been here all night then..." Yifan said more to himself, his anger was put on hold.

"Of course, where else would I go?"

"You had nothing to do with the missing prisoner?" Yifan questioned still unconvinced, "your precious Senior,"

"Senior?" Jongdae asked sounding perfectly clueless, Kyungsoo mentally gave his best friend an acting award. They ignored Jongdae's question.

"Junmyeon Sunbae escaped?" Kyungsoo asked Yifan who looked thrown off now that he had no one to blame,

"Yes-"

Kyungsoo started to cough again this time accepting the glass of water offered to him, he shook his head.

"I've been in bed since last night, as you can see I am quite unwell,"

"Yes, excuse me. I'll call my physician over to see to you,"

Yifan left, Jongdae turned to Kyungsoo,

"Do you think he believes you?" Kyungsoo shrugged,

"He has no proof, has Yixing called back?" Jongdae nodded with a grin. Kyungsoo's smiled at the other's blatant happiness.

"I am guessing it was a success?"

"He left hours ago, even if they start the search now it would be no use," Jongdae confirmed. Kyungsoo sank back into his pillows tiredly,

"Good," he said, "thank you for staying," he told Jongdae reaching out for his hand. He held it,

"Of course, I wouldn't leave without you. When we go back, we have to go together,"

Kyungsoo nodded ignoring the sharp pang of uncertainty in his heart.
 

-


September 1951

"Are they in?" Kyungsoo asked as he walked into the foyer, the young soldier by the staircase nodded but his eyes kept on darting to the first landing above them nervously.

"Maybe you would like to wait in the living room, sir?" He suggested, Kyungsoo raised a brow.

"Why so?" He asked,

"They are-" Kyungsoo and the soldier jumped as they heard a crash, both looking upwards simultaneously -"fighting," the soldier finished looking worried.

"Why?" The two were fine yesterday when they stopped by to pick Yifan up for a meeting, the soldier looked hesitant before beckoning Kyungsoo closer so he could whisper.

"Xiumin Shàngwèi volunteered to join the third invasion, Xi Èrjíjiàng was informed this morning. They've been at it since..."

"But isn't it natural, I mean Xiumin Shàngwèi is also a soldier. Why is Xi Èrjíjiàng so upset?" Truthfully Kyungsoo knew why,

"Xi Èrjíjiàng's troops are a defending force not an attacking one, we are only here to defend our country. He has made it clear that he's against invading, we will not attack unless our borders are threatened. Maybe that's why he is upset with Xiumin Shàngwèi,"

Kyungsoo's eyes widened at the new information, another crash made the two almost jump into each other's arms."I think I should go up there before one of them kills the other,"

The soldier hesitantly stepped aside to let him through,

Kyungsoo climbed the stairs, body stiffening with every step. He could hear the shouting clearly now. His hand stilled on the doorknob as Luhan's voice rose,

"What do you expect to see when you arrive in Korea? What if someone recognizes you?! What then?"

"You can't stop me," was Minseok's relatively calm answer, "I'm going back,"

"To what? A country in ruins?!"

Kyungsoo's breath hitched,

"To my family,"

"I am your family! I care! I did not save you just for you to get yourself killed!"

"I am thankful, Xi Èr- Luhan. I really am, but it is my decision to make."

It was silent, Kyungsoo was about to turn the knob.

"If you go I'll reveal the others' identities-" Kyungsoo froze at the threat. Luhan was no longer screaming, "Kyungsoo, Jongdae, all of them. Don't think I won't-" Luhan broke off and Kyungsoo heard shuffling.

"You won't, you won't do it because you care for them too,"

"I hate you," Kyungsoo took a step back, Luhan's voice was muffled but the anguish in his tone was clear. "I hate you Kim Minseok, you can go and never come back,"

"Do you really mean that?"

"No."

Kyungsoo raised his hand knocking gently, it was quiet before he heard things being kicked away.

"Come in," Minseok called out, Kyungsoo opened the door.

"Good Afternoon," he chirped. Minseok spared him a smile hand resting on Luhan's shoulder squeezing it reassuringly. Kyungsoo tried not to look around the messed up office.

"Sorry for the mess," Luhan apologized tiredly, Minseok glanced at him worried as he stood up slowly. He shrugged Minseok's hand off,

"If you excuse me, I'm going to retire for the day," he mumbled, Kyungsoo's eyes widened.

"But it's barely one," he protested looking out of the window to emphasize his point,

"I am sorry, but I need to rest I am not feeling so well," he wasn't lying, Luhan had paled considerably. He left the room,

"Don't do it," Kyungsoo said throwing away all pretenses once the door shut behind Luhan, he knew Minseok knew what he was talking about.


"It's not something I want to do, it's something I have to do."

"And what if you don't like what you see? What if something goes wrong?"

"I'll deal with it then," Minseok refused to back down. Kyungsoo looked at him sadly,

"And how will you deal with Luhan? You're just going to leave him?"

"We're even now, we don't owe each other anything. He's repaid me enough," Kyungsoo moved forward grabbing Minseok's hands forcing him to listen.

"Hyung," Korean felt foreign to Kyungsoo now, "Luhan never did it because he owed you anything, he did it because he loves you. You know he does." Kyungsoo released Minseok's hands letting his words seep in.

 

-


Yifan sat up in his bed as his door creaked open, Kyungsoo's head appeared behind it. After Junmyeon's mystery disappearance things had been cold between the two.

"May I?" He asked eyes not meeting Yifan's,

"Come in," Kyungsoo shut the door behind him slowly before padding over to Yifan's side, he made himself comfortable.

"Xiumin Ge is going to Korea for the third invasion," Kyungsoo confessed with a sigh, Yifan raised a brow.

"Luhan is letting him?" He asked eyes lit with curiosity, Kyungsoo shook his head.

"He is against it but Xiumin Ge is stubborn," he unconsciously pouted scooting closer to Yifan.

"Are you worried?"

"Of course I am, Xiumin and Luhan Ge are like family to me," he whispered, Yifan bit his lip launching into deep thought. He carded a hand through Kyungsoo's hair,

"Don't you worry I'll take care of this," Kyungsoo looking up at Yifan, he nodded before closing his eyes allowing himself much needed sleep.

 

-

 

 Kyungsoo slowly came into consciousness. He patted the empty space beside him frowning at its coldness, he sat up glancing at the clock. He jumped up he had overslept, he exited Yifan's room running to his own to get ready. Yixing and Jongdae were stopping by today.

 Kyungsoo descended the staircase nodding at the guards who saluted him, Jongdae was standing in the foyer looking up angrily at Kyungsoo.

"What's wrong?" He asked taken aback by the other's anger,

"Follow me!" Jongdae growled in Korean pointing to Yifan's office. Kyungsoo did shutting the door behind him for privacy,

"What's going on?" 

"I should ask you that! My brother accompanied your General to the admiral's base this morning, he called saying they'd arrive shortly but to make sure you were alright," 

"Why wouldn't I be?" Kyungsoo asked feeling his stomach turn, Jongdae blinked slowly searching Kyungsoo face to see if he was serious.

"You don't know?" He said shaking his head, "that idiot," he muttered under his breath.  

"I know Xiumin's going," Kyungsoo said making Jongdae snort,

"Jin- Soo, he isn't the only one," the other told him suddenly gentle, "sit down," he urged making Kyungsoo frown suspicious,

"Don't you worry I'll take care of this," kyungsoo shook his head taking a step back,

"No," he whispered, Jongdae bit his lip a worried habit of his confirming Kyungsoo's suspicion. He took another step back as Jongdae held a hand out, he shook his head again before throwing the door open running out. Yixing and Yifan stood in front of the doorway, Kyungsoo turned disappearing through another. Yifan didn't even hesitate before running after him, Jongdae sighed dropping onto one of the armchairs. Yifan came back minutes later dejectedly.


-


 Jongdae found Kyungsoo sitting behind some barrels, knees draw up to his chest as he tried to hold his feelings at bay. He sat down resting his chin on his knees like Kyungsoo was, it was silent.

"I used to dream of home, my family, you, Jongin, the boys, but now..." Kyungsoo paused looking up the sky, "now I dream of Yifan," he looked at Jongdae eyes shining, the other could only shake his head sadly,

"You know it's not possible, Kyungsoo. When the war ends we will all have to say our goodbyes, even that depends on whether we survive this-"

"But this is now, Jongdae. I'm not ready to say goodbye to Yifan, let me be selfish," Kyungsoo pleaded, "help me talk him out of it,"

"I won't," Jongdae replied avoiding Kyungsoo's wounded gaze, "I won't help you, if you're not ready to say goodbye to him now then you'll never be," Jongdae stood up, Kyungsoo grabbed his sleeve,

"Jongdae, please," 

 Jongdae let out an annoyed huff, his tone was suddenly laced with anger, "do you really think Yifan cares about you? You're nothing more than a plaything for his amusement," Kyungsoo lowered his gaze to his feet at the insult, Jongdae squashed the guilt he felt at seeing a tear drop onto Kyungsoo's folded knee.

"It's time to stop playing pretend Kyungsoo," he continued more softly, freeing himself from Kyungsoo's grip, "If he breaks you, I'm not sure I'll be able to put you back together again,

-

 

November 1951

 Kyungsoo stood between Jongdae and Yixing as they watched Yifan bark out last minute orders to Tao and another captain, his eyes flickered to Kyungsoo who averted his gaze to his feet as soon as they made contact. Yifan's voice faltered, Kyungsoo his heels making his way inside the house as the truck designated to pick up Yifan and his men arrived. He heard Jongdae follow behind him,

"Jing Xiu," Yixing called out, halting his movements, "are you sure you don't want to say goodbye?" Jongdae let out a small growl,

"That's his problem Ge, he can't say goodbye," Kyungsoo's eyes prickled at Jongdae's frigid answer, his best friend could be a real bastard when he wanted to be. He spun on his heels, stabbing a finger against Jongdae's chest.

"I can say goodbye," he hissed angrily, "Goodbye, Chen. Come back when you don't want to act like a jerk." Kyungsoo rubbed at his eyes angrily, missing Jongdae's sympathetic look, "come back when you've decided you want to be my best friend again," he continued before running off intending to lock himself up in his room but ending up in Yifan's study. He curled up in Yifan's chair trying to ignore the sounds of the truck's engines and yells of soldiers as they sent Yifan off.

-

 

Apologetic Jongdae, empathic Yixing and a solemn Luhan were Kyungsoo's visitors for the following week, although the reluctant Luhan had to be dragged away from his office each time by a persistent Yixing. They spent hours trying to distract each other from the absence of certain people in their company, failing miserably when Luhan was barely even there zoning in and out of reality while Kyungsoo retreated into his shell not wanting to partake in conversations. By the end of the week both Jongdae and Yixing had given up and had returned to their house in the countryside opting to accompany the two through calls instead.

 Midway through the second week sans Yifan, Kyungsoo woke up feeling curiously determined. He got out of bed alerting the guards in the hallway of his want to go out that afternoon, they made the preparations while he got ready. Tao who was ordered to attend to the base in Yifan's absence had taken the day off to accompany Kyungsoo on his little quest.

"What do you expect to gain from this?" He asked as they pulled up to the heavily guarded manor,

"Nothing," Kyungsoo answered, "he said he would see me right?" Tao nodded breaking into a smile,

"He said he was looking forward for a visit from you even if it's at the expense of serving as a replacement for his son-"

"He really said that?" Tao shrugged annoyingly leaving the car to open Kyungsoo's door for him.

 The guard by the main door gestured for them to follow another man inside, Kyungsoo wasn't the only one surprised as they were led to the second floor. Tao brought up the inquiry nonchalantly not wanting to sound suspicious and offend anyone.

"Wu Tèjíjiàng, is confined to his bed at the moment," the soldier answered when Tao asked why they were going to the second floor.

"Is he ill?" Tao questioned clearly not knowing of this development, the guard shook his head. 

"We do not know how serious it is , but he insisted to see Wu Èrjíjiàng's, Jing Xiu,"

They stopped in front of two imposing doors, the guard knocked three times in succession before turning the knob, 

"Is he here? Let him in," a voice called from inside

"Yes,Tèjíjiàng,"

 Kyungsoo slipped into the partially lit room stopping Tao from following, the captain looked at him disapprovingly.

"I will be fine alone," he said closing the door before Tao could protest. He approached the bed cautiously,

"I apologize for bothering you Tèjíjiàng, I was not aware you were unwell,"

"Please, Jing Xiu, I'd rather you'd address me as Yen Lang. There is no use of formality between us, please sit,"

 Kyungsoo pulled the chair by the bedside closer studying the war master's pale face, it took on a more yellowish hue the more Kyungsoo looked at it. He wondered briefly if Yifan knew and questioned how serious it was,

"How long have you been bedridden?" He asked causing Yen Lang to smile,

"You need not worry about me, how have you been doing? I've been told you were sick around a month ago and lately you do not have a good appetite," the older man's knowledge did not surprise Kyungsoo anymore, he reckoned there were some people on Yifan's base that reported to him.

"I am fine," Kyungsoo lied making the other chuckle weakly,

"Fine? If you say so." He conceded not wanting to push Kyungsoo. He lifted his hand reaching over to his bedside table, Kyungsoo watched quietly as he turned the frame on it to face him. The war master's eyes shone warmly as he looked at the picture contentedly, he caught Kyungsoo's curious look,

"My strength," he explained proudly eyes losing their shine into something mellower. He gestured for Kyungsoo to take a look at the photo, a pretty lady stood head bent over the chubby child she cradled protectively in her arms. Kyungsoo knew at a glance,

"Your wife," Yen Lang nodded slowly clearing his throat,

"And Yifan," he said fondly making Kyungsoo's eyes water unexpectedly. The world was not fair, Kyungsoo thought sadly. How could Yifan hate a man that clearly adored him despite their strangled relationship? He swallowed uneasily catching Yen Lang's attention. He lowered his eyes but it was too late, the other was not a war master for nothing,

"Do not feel sorry for me," he said, "I deserve the treatment I get from Yifan-"

Kyungsoo shook his head,

"A son should always look up to their father," he said thinking of general Hua, "a son should never disrespect or disregard his father," he continued thinking of his own father, the war master was surprised at Kyungsoo's conviction, "a son should always love their father," he ended barely able to control his voice from wavering,

"Your father must be very proud of you," Yen Lang commented thoughtfully, Kyungsoo thought about it before giving an honest nod. He knew despite not following in his father’s footsteps like Seungsoo did, his father was without a doubt proud of him as well.

"I remember when Yifan was born my wife joked that he would grow up and follow in his baba's footsteps. That was the first time we ever had a real argument, I told her no child of ours would join the army-" he stopped shaking his head.

"Why didn't you want Yifan to join the army?" Kyungsoo asked.

"The world doesn't need any more soldiers, Kyungsoo," Yen Lang answered, "we don't need any more countries destroys or populations to be wiped out," Kyungsoo was so engrossed in the conversation he didn't notice the use of his real name pass the war master's lips, "Yifan could have chosen to be a farmer and I would not be any less prouder of him,"

"You are a good father, I only wish for Yifan to notice it as well,"

Yen Lang shook his head, eyes sad and regretful.

"I am a bad father and a horrible husband, if it were otherwise my wife would still be here and I'd have a son that still called me baba instead of Wu Tèjíjiàng,"

-

 Kyungsoo thanked Tao for accompanying him that day and headed to his room, his head felt full and heavy but it didn't compare to the weight he felt in his heart. He shut his eyes as he recalled Wu Tèjíjiàng's story.

'I met my wife when I had just entered the army as a no rank, ideal-filled teen. Our section was ordered to invade a remote village in one of the northern regions and put down the civil war between two tribes living there. As soon as we stepped into that place it was as if we had travelled back in time, their clothes, their language and their look were so different that we thought we must have crossed the border into some unknown land. I met my wife during a fight where amazingly enough it was she who saved me, it was instant I couldn't have stopped it if I tried. I fell in love and to my relief so did she.' Yen Lang smiled at the memory, 'When the war was put to rest she willingly left everything for me, knowing I had no social position, no money, no family that could support us. She brushed all of my misgivings away and told me I was enough,' the war master had to stop eyes tearful as he remembered, Kyungsoo held his hand

'It was hard, but everyday was nothing short of wonderful with her by my side. She made our small house in the fishing village feel like a mansion and every small meal felt like a feast. I worked myself to the bone for her, I longed to give her an easy life and god answered my prayers by promoting me into a Shàngwèi two years into our marriage. Looking back at it now I shouldn't have been so greedy... I should have just remained a Shàngwèi and not coveted for more.'

He looked around his lavish room unhappily,

'Our beautiful life was shattered by my greediness. Things started to change fast, I became busier as I climbed the army ranks, we kept on moving houses every time I got promoted and every time I came home it was a servant-made meal that waited for me and not my wife,'

Yen Lang was visibly getting tired but he kept on speaking finally relived to be getting it all off his chest.

'I should have realized she slipped into depression, she hated the city and hated the restrictions society put on her. I thought that maybe a visit back home would bring her happiness but I was severely mistaken. When we arrived nothing but destruction greeted us, it turned out that after the army had left the war began again, this time ending when someone burned the whole place into the ground. I had only made things worse, not only was she depressed but now she grieved as well. We returned to the city and tried to go on with our lives both pretending on our parts. I didn't know how to comfort her so I pretended not to see the pain and the loneliness present in her eyes. I just-' he paused frustrated even after all this time, 'I just didn't know how to apologize. Despite this she stayed, for me and for Yifan who was growing in her belly.' His smile was bittersweet, 'Against all odds things began settle and she became a lot happier when Yifan was born, I foolishly thought everything was fine not knowing it was all a flawlessly-built facade until I re Yifan's fifth birthday to a mourning house.' The war master ducked his head tear slipping down a cheek.

'She had finally put an end to her silent suffering, all the time I had spent working believing it was for the best I missed out on the fact that my wife had been in a state of constant depression. She hid it well for the longest time but it had become so bad that she feared she would hurt either Yifan or I in a moment of insanity.' He sighed shaking his head as he picked up the frame caressing his wife's face, 'my brave wife,' he said no longer talking to Kyungsoo, 'I'm so sorry,' he choked out making Kyungsoo tear up, he looked down at their hands fringe hiding his eyes.

'Sir,' he said unable to remain silent, 'I'll talk to Yifan for you, I'll explain it to him," he promised because if the man couldn't have his wife at least he'd still have his son. Yen Lang shook his head free hand coming up to pat Kyungsoo's head thankfully,

'Thank you, Jing Xiu, but I do not deserve it. Instead of being there for him after his mother died I disappeared choosing work over him. I will be fine as long as I know he is as well.'

Kyungsoo had left after that wanting Yen Lang to get some rest. If anyone noticed their red-rimmed eyes they chose not to comment on it.

Kyungsoo grabbed his painting tools wholly inspired by the misunderstood war master, he walked out of his room walking around in search for something. He spotted a guard and waved him down. The guard approached quickly,

"Yes, Sir?"

"Is there a room no one ever uses?" Kyungsoo asked nerves tingling impatiently wanting to get started.

"The attic, Sir."


-


January 1952

'Finally!' Jongdae exclaimed once Kyungsoo answered the phone, 'I've been trying to get through to you for the past four hours, what have you been up to?'

'Sorry, I was in the attic painting. I just came down to get a drink,'

'I figured you were painting, anyway Xiumin called me. He managed to tell me they've docked safely, he would have called you as well but Luhan was there to greet him at the docks and the General was impatient to get Xiumin back home so he could rest properly. He also told me Yifan would probably only arrive sometime tomorrow and that to warn you that he's been in a foul mood ever since they left the south,' Jongdae paused waiting for Kyungsoo's acknowledgement, 'you there?'

'Yes, thanks Chen,' 

'You're welcome, I know it's late but I'm sure you'd want to hear this news,'

'Of course, I should get some sleep then so I can greet him properly when he gets back,"

 Jongdae murmured an agreement ending the call only when Kyungsoo promised he would go to sleep right away.

 Kyungsoo stripped out of his day clothing slowly, he worried his lower lip between his teeth as the rain picked up outside, wind howling loudly rattling against the high rise windows. His only comfort at the moment was knowing that at least Minseok and Yifan were no longer on the dangerous rough seas. 

He flicked his light switch off making his way into the dark hallway outside, he relied on his memory to find Yifan's room and his bed with the aid of the rapid lightning flashes outside. He slipped under his covers eyes drifting shut as he inhaled Yifan's fading scent. They remain shut only to flutter back open when he heard the sound of footsteps, heavy and wet across the wooden floorboards. He frowned as he sat up listening intently as the sound stopped only to be replaced with the sound of the doorknob being twisted open. Kyungsoo's eyes widened and he dove back into a laying position frightened, he shut his eyes pretending to sleep as the door was pushed open quietly. Someone stepped into the room shutting the door behind themselves. 

 Kyungsoo tensed up as the smell of rain and dampness filed his nostrils, the person padded over to the bed careful to not make any loud noises. Kyungsoo felt the person bend over sending droplet of water to his face, he couldn't stop the flinch as icy fingers brushed against his cheeks trying to dry them.

"Jing Xiu," Kyungsoo shot up only to tumble forward, tangled in the sheets in his haste to get up. He fell forward pressing against wet clothing, Yifan's hands came up to grip his forearms steadying him. There was a pause of silence as Kyungsoo studied Yifan. The General looked physically and mentally tired, eyes void of the usually tenderness it shone of recently. He looked away as Kyungsoo slowly stood avoiding his companion's searching eyes. Something didn't feel right the happiness he felt at finding out Yifan was home dimmed as the other shrugged off his wet coat, clothes and shoes following soon after. He brushed against Kyungsoo and silently slid under his covers patting the empty space beside him, Kyungsoo remained standing fighting the urge to dive onto the bed. Yifan pat the bed again,

"I took a bath at the port, I am not unclean," he said voice low, Kyungsoo's resolve broke and he jumped onto the bed jostling them both. Yifan broke out into a small smile as Kyungsoo's arms wrapped around his waist tightening as he laid his head on Yifan's chest.

"This is the welcoming I was expecting," he said long fingers carding through Kyungsoo's soft hair, "did you miss me?" Kyungsoo nodded holding back his relieved tears.

"Don't leave me again," He said fingers digging painfully into Yifan's sides, Yifan pressed a kiss onto the top of his head,

"I won't if you won't," he whispered vaguely, Kyungsoo's brows furrowed,

"What do you mean?"

"Just as I said, I won't leave you if you won't leave me. Go to sleep, it's late,"


-

 

Jongdae frowned at the guard processing his words but finding it hard to believe.

"The sun has been out for three hours and you're telling those two are still in bed?" The guard nodded,

"It's been this way for the past week ever since Wu Èrjíjiàng came back, they should be out in a few minutes for breakfast,"

 Jongdae pursed his lips he and Kyungsoo were supposed to go to the market for some paint supplies and catch a noon movie. At this rate they would not make it, he sighed pointing to Yifan's office.

"Can I wait in there?"

 The guard paused thinking it over before he gave a short nod, what threat could a friend of the consort's be plus he was a scholar not a soldier. Jongdae made himself comfortable in Yifan's chair, he leaned backward and paused as something caught his attention. Something was sticking out of Yifan's top drawer, Jongdae grabbed the end he would do Yifan a favor by cleaning his desk up for him. He opened the drawer releasing what he saw now was a ripped piece of canvas, he peered at the edge catching sight of Kyungsoo's barely legible signature. He smiled and turned to the canvas over wondering which painting Yifan stole. The smile on his face froze at the painting that greeted him, the canvas slid through his loose grasp settling on top of the table. Jongdae stood up confused as he looked at the painting, the last time he had seen it was in their classroom right before they fled during the invasion. Jongdae staggered backwards as the conversation he had with Minseok a few days ago resurfaced.

'We passed by our old school, when I told him it was where Kyungsoo studied he was eager to explore,'

 Jongdae had laughed amused by the thought of Yifan scavenging through an abandoned school just because his companion had attended it. Minseok own laugh subsided,

His mood totally changed after that, he must have stumbled upon something he didn't like. I didn't dare ask,' the captain said,

 Jongdae blanched, he knew what Yifan had stumbled upon now. Anyone could tell it was General Do in the picture, Jongdae was sure Yifan knew it as well. The door to the study opened making Jongdae jump guiltily,

"Jing Xiu, is still upstairs. He said he'd be out in-" Yifan stopped taking in Jongdae's terrified face, his eyes lowered to his table. They widened when they saw the painting, Yifan strode over grabbing the canvas before folding and tucking it between some heavy volumes of books. He had his back to Jongdae as he took in a deep shuddering breath,

"You didn't see anything, Chen,"

Jongdae frowned,

"What are you planning? Why haven't you turned him over?"

Yifan spun around eyes narrowed in fury,

"I said you saw nothing!"

Jongdae's eyes narrowed as well,

"I-"

"Chen!" Kyungsoo's head popped in from behind the door, eyes lit up happily. The smile on his face froze before it disappeared as he noted the tension in the room, he pushed the door open wider and took a cautious step in.

"What's wrong?" He asked glancing at Yifan who shook his head,

"Nothing is wrong Jing Xiu, I believe Chen and you were going to go out,"

Jongdae scowled at Yifan's acting and walked around the table to Kyungsoo's side.

"I sorry, Xiu, but I actually have something to attend to today. I will see you soon, though," Jongdae promised, he ignored the confused look Kyungsoo sent his way and walked out. He wasn't going to sit around uselessly, he would go and find out Yifan's real intention and if he couldn't he would find another way to keep Kyungsoo safe.

-

 

 Yifan walked through the second floor corridor after he was informed Jongdae had come over, he frowned not recalling seeing his companion's friend, he quickened his steps as he approached Kyungsoo's room. He opened the door peering into the quiet darkness, the boy was not in his room. He kept on walking ending up on the balcony overlooking the garden, he was about to go back in when he heard Kyungsoo's voice, quiet as he spoke to someone. Thankfully he was speaking in mandarin. Yifan strained his ears and crouched down not wanting to give his position away,

"It's time we leave," a sharp intake of surprise followed Jongdae's statement, Yifan's heart gave a painful lurch.

"I-I can't," Kyungsoo answered voice small, Yifan held his hopeful feeling at bay.

"Can't or won't?" Jongdae rebutted exasperation clear in his tone.

"You don't understand-" Kyungsoo started only to be cut off,"

"What don't I understand?" Jongdae hissed out annoyed, "the only thing I don't understand is why you're putting yourself out to be broken by an idiot that doesn't even appreciate or care about you! And why you waste your time and energy in that stupid attic for something he wouldn't even care about!" Jongdae's outburst was followed by silence then a small sniffle and finally a deep resigned sigh, Yifan gritted his teeth, how dare Jongdae put words into his mouth.

"I only say this because I care," Jongdae said almost whining, "don't cry, please, don't cry," Yifan's fist clenched as anger surged through his body, he was itching to punch Jongdae.

"Do you really want to leave?" Kyungsoo asked hesitantly.

"Yes, the sooner the better," Jongdae answered,

"Did you and Yifan fight earlier? Is this what brought this leaving talk on?" Kyungsoo asked perceptively,

"No," Jongdae lied surprising Yifan, he had thought the other would expose him, "I just want to go back home, I'm tired of pretending-" Yifan stood up backing away from the balcony not wanting to hear anymore, he was afraid of what Kyungsoo's answer would be. He turned around and walked down the hallway, heading towards the attic.

 Yifan stopped at the bottom of the steps apprehensive at what he would see at the top of the ladder. He took a deep breath and climbed the stairs bracing himself for things he might find unpleasant. Instead he was greeted with the sight of himself, not through a mirror but on the walls. Painted, sketched, charcoaled, different images of him during different occasion. Their first meeting in the port by the rain, their first lunch together, him in the office. Images of how Kyungsoo viewed him were embedded into the walls, he staggered forward touched. He approached the closest wall and tried to decipher the look Kyungsoo painted on his face, it was something tender and beautiful. He froze as he realized it was love, every single expression on his face in all the drawings and paintings were ones of love, fondness and peacefulness. A lump grew in his throat and he forced himself to continue his look around, he would have more time to study every picture in detail later. He turned to the biggest wall and felt his heart stop.

 Yifan dropped to his knees eyes trained unblinkingly on the portrait of his mother. A sharp gasp burst from his chest before it was followed by choked breaths which turned into sobs, his clawed at his chest heart heavy. He felt arms go around his shoulders, hands linking in front of his chest. Kyungsoo's chin found purchase on his shoulder, the younger whispered sweetly into Yifan's ears promising all the right things.

"Thank you," Yifan croaked out, "thank you, Kyungsoo,"

 Kyungsoo stiffened before pulling away, Yifan turned catching his retreating hand gripping it tightly. Kyungsoo's eyes were wide with fear. Yifan felt his heart clench,

"No," he whispered hurriedly tugging the terrified boy forward into his embrace, "don't look at me like that, don't fear me,"

 Kyungsoo stayed limp in his arms, 

"What you've painted is real," Yifan continued pleadingly, "I like you! I don't care, a name is just a name, Chinese or Korean, I love you-" Yifan's voice cracked as he confessed Kyungsoo pulled away, the younger glanced around the attic slowly at all his work before looking at Yifan.

"How long?"

"Since I've come home," 

Kyungsoo nodded eyes contemplative, he stood up making Yifan scramble to his feet.

"Where are you going?" He cried panicked, Kyungsoo jumped startled at his vitality.

"I was going to bring up your dinner, you probably didn't finish considering you were listening in on Ch-Jongdae and my conversation," Yifan didn't even have the energy to protest that he was eavesdropping all he heard was that Kyungsoo wasn't leaving. He sagged back down to the floor relieved,

"Wait!" He called out as Kyungsoo started to descend the stairs, "I'm not hungry,"

"Yifan-"

"I'm not, come back!" Kyungsoo sighed but complied settling down next to Yifan, Yifan reached out to pull him closer but paused suddenly awkward. Kyungsoo let out another sigh, 

"Nothing's changed Yifan, you said so yourself. There's no need to act so cautiously around me,"

Yifan grabbed him then, manhandling him roughly onto his lap. Kyungsoo tried to squirm out of his hold shocked,

"I didn't mean you could throw me around!" He exclaimed as Yifan wrapped his long limbs around him suffocatingly. He stop struggling as he felt Yifan's thumping heart against his arm, the other was looking at him eyes filled with a various mix of emotions.

"Thank you," the General said sincerely, "thank you, thank you, thank you-" he repeated lulling Kyungsoo to sleep.

-

March 1952

 Minseok slipped out of bed ignoring Luhan's unconscious whine as he lost valued body warmth. Something felt wrong, it was too dark. He reached the light-switch flipping it open, the lights remained shut. A black out? He frowned walking over to the window, instinct told him to remain hidden. He peaked out of the window looking around the courtyard, his eyes heavy with sleep widened as he saw a figure jump over the gate followed by another. Minseok ran to the door ripping it open to yell down the hallways, a flurry of movement was caused by his cries. Guards started to run around weapons loaded and unsheathed, some placed themselves in front of the room, Luhan stumbled out of bed rushing to Minseok's side as the sounds of conflict arose from the courtyard. 

"Alert Wu Èrjíjiàng and Hua Èrjíjiàng immediately! Hold them off, our main priority is getting Xi Èrjíjiàng out of here alive and free!" The soldier nodded at the Captain's order. Luhan grabbed Minseok's arm, 

"Don't worry," Minseok muttered, "I won't let them get you, go put on some clothes," Luhan followed the order obediently, he returned to Minseok's side. Minseok's eyes travelled across Luhan's face slowly eyes soft as he committed it to memory, he took a deep breath before pushing Luhan out into the hallway into a waiting guard's arms,

"Go, I'll buy you time!" The guard nodded dragging a stunned silent Luhan away, he allowed himself to be dragged a few feet away before he dug his heels into the floor fighting against the tight hold on him. He struggled to get to Minseok who was watching him silently from the room's doorway,

"Xiumin," Luhan's voice wavered, Minseok lowered his head ripping at his shirt, Luhan's breath hitched as Minseok asked for a sword, his eyes widened, "no," he breathed as Minseok raised the sword, "no,"

Minseok's eyes lifted a flash of fear passing through them before it was replaced with determination, Luhan shook his head screaming when Minseok drove the sword through his side shocking the remaining guards.

"Take him away!" Minseok gasped out painfully, he leaned against the doorway breathing shallowly. Luhan's eyes stayed on Minseok's torso where the previous white fabric was staining red at a fast pace. The soldiers looked torn between wanting to help the Captain and obeying his orders.

"I said get him out of here! Go!" He yelled putting them into motion again, it took four soldiers to restrain and drag Luhan away after that. Minseok gritted his teeth and pulled the sword out, he quickly applied pressure to the bleeding wound and made his way towards the commotion. He stumbled out of the main doorway right into the path of the Korean soldiers trying to get in, his vision doubled,

"Save me," he uttered in Korean before succumbing to the darkness.

-

 Kyungsoo felt numb, one second he was sleeping and the next he was being dragged out of his bed through total darkness before being thrown onto the courtyard floor. A disheveled Yifan scrambled to his side arms winding around him protectively, Kyungsoo looked around disorientated as all Yifan's men were forced onto the ground with uniformed personal pointing guns at them. Kyungsoo belatedly realised that the men who held them captive were South Korean. He lowered his head as a soldier looked at him, squinting as he noticed Kyungsoo was different from the rest of Yifan's men.

"Name!" The man barked at Kyungsoo who was determinedly avoiding his gaze, Yifan's hold on him loosened before he was shoved forward.

"Do Kyungsoo, his name is Do Kyungsoo" he mumbled defeated, Kyungsoo eyes widened as he turned to the kneeling Yifan. He tried to move back to kneel beside him, but the soldier grasped his arm holding him in place,

"General Do's son!" Kyungsoo shook his head denying it, he glanced at Yifan panicked as he continued to struggle in the soldier's hold. Yifan's men stared up at him in shock only some grasping and understanding the situation. Yifan kept his eyes down as Kyungsoo called his name,

"Yifan, don't let them take me away!" He begged as another soldier joined the first brows furrowed at Kyungsoo's crazed actions, Yifan squeezed his eyes shut biting the insides of his cheek. A few more soldiers had to grab onto Kyungsoo, who although small was putting up a good fight. Yifan grit his teeth as Kyungsoo started to beg more franticly, his breathing quickened as pained whines left his consort's lips.

"Hold him down!" The first soldier barked, "what is wrong with you?" He asked Kyungsoo whose eyes were trained on Yifan pleadingly,

"Sir!" One soldier cried as Kyungsoo elbowed his face, the first soldier growled, 

"Sedate him!" 

 Yifan's eyes snapped open watching as Kyungsoo's own widened in terror, as something was injected into him. He leapt to his feet remaining self-control snapping as he barreled into Kyungsoo wrenching him away from the soldiers. They reacted quickly grabbing onto Yifan with a tackle separating the two once again. Kyungsoo tried to grasp Yifan's arm as his eyes shut system involuntarily shutting down, his fingers brushed against his shirt's fabric before he hit the ground blacking out amidst the chaos.

-

"Tried to fight them off- he refused to leave- had to be sedated," Kyungsoo opened his eyes to a brown ceiling, the voices stopped,

"You're awake," Junmyeon helped him sit, Kyungsoo ignored the curious eyes on him and turned to his left. Minseok laid on the other bed eyes shut, breathing regulated by the machine he was hooked up to. Kyungsoo ignored the hazy feeling in his head and scrambled to Minseok's side, stumbling in his haste to get to his side, he pushed Junmyeon's helping hands away.

"What's wrong with him?"  He croaked eyes smarting with tears as he took in Minseok's unhealthy pallor.

"Stab wound, they had to resuscitate him when he arrived, but he's in a stable condition now," Junmyeon reassured, "he even woke up,"

"Did he say anything?" Kyungsoo asked blinking rapidly to hold back his tears, Junmyeon shook his head eyes solemn,

"Just cried," he replied tone devastated, Minseok had always been the strong hyung. It was disheartening to see his tears, Kyungsoo swallowed back his. He Minseok's cheek,

"What now?" He whispered intended for Minseok, but was answered by someone else.

"As soon as Minseok-shi recovers we'll fly you back to Korea," the man by Minseok's bed said, "your brother has been notified," Kyungsoo nodded robotically and returned to his bed, Junmyeon looked at him with worry.

"Do you want to eat anything?" He asked, Kyungsoo shook his head before throwing his cover over it. He shut his eyes as the tears started to spill, he squeezed them tightly willing himself to disappear.

-


July 1955

 Kyungsoo was woken up by someone screaming his name right outside his door, he groaned and burrowed deeper into his sheets wishing the person away. His name was followed by persistent knockings that make his head throb,

"Chanyeol!" Someone chided making the knocks stop abruptly, "give him a few more minutes, I don't think he slept well last night," they were right, every time Kyungsoo shut his eyes he saw-

"You don't look too well yourself hyung," came Chanyeol's concerned voice, if Kyungsoo had slept less Minseok probably didn't sleep at all. The elder man had times where he had to be medicated in order to get some sleep, Kyungsoo was more fortunate and could rely on either Baekhyun, Chanyeol or Jongin to tire him out until he fainted from exhaustion. If not, there was always Jongdae and Sehun who would try and stay up all night to keep him company, the latter though despite his hyperactivity always fell asleep. 

 Kyungsoo and Minseok's fate had turned when they arrived in America in 1953, the war had just officially ended and the two agreed that they couldn't stay in South Korea anymore. Not when everyday served as an easy and painful reminder of what they lost. Once on American soil, the two had immediately bumped into Chanyeol and Baekhyun who had done something smart for once and had run to the states during the invasion. A month in they found Jongin and another young Korean Sehun, both working as acrobats in a circus. Since then they had all lived together in a double story house outside of the city, paying rent equally and trying to live as peacefully as six men living under the same roof could. Occasionally the house would receive guests in the form of Junmyeon, Yixing and Jongdae who decided to travel the world together using their youth to help rebuild war stricken areas and under developing countries. They had just arrived a few days ago from a country in Africa massively sunburned but happy.

Kyungsoo sat up slowly and made his way downstairs, Baekhyun pushed a mug across the table as he sat down,

"You're all coming to watch me perform today right?" Jongin asked tone light,

"They're coming to watch me perform," Sehun amended haughtily sticking a tongue out at the other, Chanyeol egged the two on as they started arguing. Minseok shook his head as he came in, the dark circles under his eyes apparent even after Kyungsoo knew he made Baekhyun try and cover it up. He sat down slowly wincing as he did so, Jongin stopped eyeing Minseok with concern,

"Hyung, are you okay? Does your- does it hurt?"

The corners of Minseok's mouth twitched at Jongin's worry,

"I'm fine, what time shall we come later?"

"Around four," Jongin answered brows furrowed, "you can go around and have a look around the carnival first, Sehun and I will only be on around five,"

"Everyone better come," Sehun warned darkly, "I practiced hard for this show,"

"Yes, Sehun," they all chorused on cue, he sat back pleased.


-
 

Kyungsoo and Baekhyun flanked Minseok as they walked around the carnival, the elder who still felt pain from his injury time to time had to be careful among big, bustling crowds. The others had gone their separate ways eager to go on rides before they watched the show.

"I'm hungry," Baekhyun complained earning an eye roll from both men,

"When are you not?" Kyungsoo teased making Minseok smile,

"Come on, I'll get you some popcorn," Minseok said preventing Baekhyun from whining like a spoilt five year old. Kyungsoo grinned as he watched them join the line,

"Who is that?! Why is he making Minseok buy him food?!" Kyungsoo's head whipped to the left where numerous crowded food stands were, the voice was painfully familiar.

"Shut up!" Another voice hissed, Kyungsoo shut his eyes, it was happening again. He took a deal breath as the voices faded away, he opened his eyes rubbing them as a memory of dark eyes appeared. Great, he thought sarcastically, now he was seeing things. He looked around stubbornly once more just to prove to himself that he was being delusional, by the time the other two returned he was convinced. 

"You okay?" Minseok asked noticing the gloom atmosphere hanging around his head,

"Perfectly fine," he chirped walking off before they could call him out on his lie, Baekhyun shivered, 

"Is it just me or do you feel like you're being watched?" His eyes narrowed as he looked around wildly, paranoid, "I swear if that damned Chanyeol is playing another trick on me I'll kill him," he muttered to himself before dragging Minseok with him. The three settled into their seats early, Minseok pursed his lips as he looked up at the ladders thoughtfully. 

"I think I'm going to sit across the tent, I'll have a better view of the boys from there," he told the two who nodded remaining in their seats wanting a better view of the animals that were always on this side of the tent. The tent began to fill up slowly and the others joined them some sitting with Minseok. The flaps of the tent were drawn shut and darkness fell silencing the crowd. The show began

-

 Kyungsoo's head snapped up on instinct as he heard Minseok's cry from across the tent, but Jongin was still safely swinging effortlessly from one ladder to another along with Sehun. Kyungsoo frowned as he searched for Minseok, he spotted him arms thrown around a lean blonde. Kyungsoo's jaw dropped as Minseok pressed kisses against the blonde's face, tears escaping his eyes as he laughed joyfully ignoring the weird and scandalized looks he received. The blonde gathered Minseok into his arm and spun them around, time seemed to slow down as Kyungsoo caught sight of Luhan's face. A hand landed on his shoulder, but Kyungsoo kept his gaze forward too afraid to turn. He can't handle any more disappointments, the person behind him took a step forward. Kyungsoo tensed up as a familiar warmth surrounded him.

"So," a voice began teasingly, "are you a farmer now?"

 Kyungsoo turned around wordlessly and buried his face into the person’s chest, the scent was different but the person he knew, was the same. He punched the person's chest and vaguely heard Jongdae and Baekhyun's laughter from his side as a grunt of pain was emitted. They knew all too well how it felt to be on the receiving end of Kyungsoo's punches.

"I'm a florist," he answered voice wavering, tears were already trekking down his cheeks. Yifan let out a hum forcing Kyungsoo to look up at him, his hair was dyed a dark chestnut brown color making him lose the strict General look.

"Do you think you have room for another worker?" He brushed the tears away from Kyungsoo face.

"No," Jongdae answered petulantly ruining the moment, the two sent a glare his way as Baekhyun asked who Yifan was.

"Your worst nightmare if you don't leave me and Kyungsoo alone!" The ex-General growled out threateningly, Jongdae rolled his eyes still at war with Yifan despite Kyungsoo's best efforts to make them get along years ago.

"This is a public place," he answered yet pulled Baekhyun away giving the two some time alone. Yifan laced their fingers together glaring at the man behind them who looked at their entwined fingers disgusted, he averted his gaze quickly. Kyungsoo allowed Yifan to tug him towards the exit,

"When did you arrive? How did you know where I was? Did you come here for me? Did-"

"Whuahhh, calm down," Yifan said chuckling at Kyungsoo's endearing excitement, "we arrived four days ago'" he started answering the first question, "second of all I had Luhan who boasts that he has a Minseok tracker and of course Tao helped as well," Kyungsoo's eyes lit up at the mention of his friend, "and lastly of course I came here for you," he took a deep breath, looking nervous all of a sudden,

"Do Kyungsoo," the hairs on Kyungsoo's nape stood as Yifan called out his full name, "will you move in with me?" He continued hopefully.

"No," Kyungsoo answered making Yifan's face fall disappointed, he smiled squeezing Yifan's hand, "you're moving in with me," he corrected earning Yifan's hard to see gummy smile.

-

September 1955

Yifan stumbled down the steps barreling into Sehun who was entering the kitchen, the younger hissed and adjusted the sunglasses that had slipped down his face. Chanyeol guffawed at Yifan's affronted look from his position in front of the fridge earning him a hiss from Sehun as well. Yixing yawned,

"Why are you acting like a cat?" He asked as Sehun curled up in a free chair, Baekhyun chuckled,

"He's hung over hyung," he answered making Yixing cluck his tongue in disapproval lecture already leaving his mouth much to Sehun's displeasure, "so is Tao," Baekhyun added mischievously always the instigator of trouble.

"Baekhyun," Minseok's voice held warning as he made their coffee slowly, Luhan hovering behind him as usual while Jongin watched the Chinese male with eerie precision for someone who spent most of his time sleeping. The younger cousin had not taken well having to share Minseok's affections even after grudgingly accepting Luhan's bribery in the form of a dog Jongin had been eyeing. Yifan shook his head, all in all it was a normal scene of their mornings minus the person Yifan was looking for.

Jongdae and Junmyeon came in from the back door soaked from head to toe in wet mud,

"Jongin," Jongdae called angrily as Junmyeon tried to clean himself up, "your stupid mutt was digging up the flower beds!" Jongin didn't even spare him a glance,

"Hey if you have a problem with the dog bring it up with Luhan, he was the one who got it," Luhan whined as Jongin transferred the blame to him, Minseok shot Jongin dirty a look as Luhan latched onto him taking advantage of the situation. 

"I didn't spend four years in prison to be patronized by you, Kim Jongin!"

Tao staggered into the already crowded kitchen groaning pathetically,

"Èrjíjiàng, I'm present!" he called out pausing Luhan's weekly dramatics, he repeated himself following words slurring as he collapsed onto the seat beside the half-dead Sehun. Baekhyun and Chanyeol chortled annoyingly,

"Tao's not hung over, he's still drunk," Yixing's brows knitted mouth parting, Yifan tuned him out as a small hand slid into his, fingers entwining with his own.

"Where have you been?" He asked Kyungsoo who held up a letter in reply,

"Baba?" Kyungsoo nodded passing the letter to him, "did he write to you as well? What did he ask you?" Kyungsoo eyes twinkled as he looked up at Yifan,

"He asked if I was happy," Yifan's grip tightened slightly,

"Are you?" He asked, Kyungsoo broke their gaze to look around the noisy kitchen. Baekhyun and Chanyeol were laughing over something naturally only they thought was funny, while Jongdae and Junmyeon moved back out into the yard to wash each other off with the hose yelling as Jongin and his dog joined them.

 Yixing stood over the sleeping Sehun and Tao mouth still chastising yet eyes gentle as he prepared something that would help them. Minseok and Luhan had moved to stand by the window leaning into each other as they watched the show in their backyard. Kyungsoo smiled, half-turning and curling into Yifan's warm side.

"I am."

 



A//N: Whewwwww my eyes hurt from all the typing but I'm relived I finished writing. I honestly thought I'd never complete this T.T  Thanks for reading y'all!!!!