My Joseon Prince 5

My Joseon Prince

CHAPTER 5

 

“Uwaa, ramyeon!”

 

Donghae’s eyes sparkled as Sungmin—who was in a pink apron—placed the pot of ramyeon at the center of their small table. It was the Lee siblings’ favorite dish, especially the one made by their mother—from whom Sungmin had learned cooking said food. Since it was a special dish to the siblings, Donghae had insisted it will be the first modern Korean dish to be tasted by the past prince.

 

“Ram…yeon?” Kyuhyun said slowly, testing each syllable while thinking of how to write it in hangul. For the day, the two had been teaching Kyuhyun on how to read and write in hangul, since he only knew Chinese characters. Of course, it included teaching how to use pencil and pen for brush and ink weren’t used in the current time for writing. It was easier, in fact. He need not dip the pen on an ink and the new characters weren’t so complicated unlike what he was used to. Also, Donghae taught him how to speak the modern way. He found them too blunt but it was fun using it.

 

Being blessed with the love for discovering new things, he became interested and therefore caught up quickly, except on the way of speaking as he knew it will take him longer to adapt to those. Donghae just told him to lower his voice for a bit and try to be polite. But why should he be polite to his subjects?

 

The brunet nodded and handed the prince and his sister chopsticks before grabbing his own. “Noodles! Very, very, very yummy and they’re my faveeeyyy!” Donghae’s eyes looked like stars the moment Sungmin opened the lid. Even Kyuhyun felt like he was drooling after seeing and smelling the newly-cooked food.

 

Despite his hunger, his curiosity still worked. “What are ‘yummy’ and ‘favey?’” he asked, and because Donghae was already picking the noodles, it was Sungmin who answered while removing her apron. “Yummy means delicious, while favey is a shorter term for favorite,” the woman whose hair was in a ponytail explained, and then gave Kyuhyun the lid.

 

Kyuhyun accepted the lid, but he was still looking at Sungmin confusedly, silently asking for an explanation. The prince, though, quickly averted his gaze away from Sungmin’s sweaty neck.

 

“Ramyeon is better eaten if you eat it on the lid!” Donghae giddily explained, distracting the prince. Kyuhyun watched Donghae grab another lid from his side, picked noodles from the pot using the chopsticks, and used the lid to catch the noodles in case it will fall. Donghae blew on the noodles and sipped it, his cheeks instantly turning red and his face showed satisfaction. It made Kyuhyun more curious.

 

Sungmin smiled at him and made Kyuhyun hold on the lid’s handle before flipping his wrist so that the lid would be upside down. At the realization of the contact, both of them blushed a light shade of pink and Sungmin immediately withdrew her hands. Kyuhyun thought Sungmin had the tendency to touch him while instructing.

 

Sungmin coughed whilst doing the same thing her younger brother did. Kyuhyun chuckled watching her cute reaction, and so he decided to for a while by staring at her. It amused him how Sungmin tried keeping her composure yet he can see how shy the woman got the longer he stared. Her rosy cheeks got rosier and she ate faster while avoiding his gaze. It was a wonder how simple gestures of the lady could make him smile—not that he made it obvious.

 

He tried the ramyeon as well after teasing Sungmin, and he has a new favorite dish.

 

~0~

 

Donghae finally managed to convince Sungmin to bring Kyuhyun outside. But Sungmin was pouting all the time while they were in the car until they reached the mall. She still didn’t like the idea of Kyuhyun getting out for she thinks he’s not ready yet. He may be quick in coping up, but Kyuhyun’s snarky ancient tongue could get him in trouble and she might not be able to save him.

 

To lift Sungmin’s sour mood up, Donghae bought bubble tea for her and also gave Kyuhyun one. As expected, the brunette’s attitude shifted. Problem solved.

 

After shopping for new clothes and a phone for Kyuhyun, Donghae excused himself to go to a surprise meeting in the company so Sungmin decided to take Kyuhyun grocery shopping first while they wait for her brother. However, she regretted that decision. Kyuhyun kept on picking things he doesn’t even know so she continuously put it back, causing for an argument between them to start.

 

She was about to place the plastic of meat on the cart but noticed that Kyuhyun wasn’t around. She panicked; she was just browsing for meat and Kyuhyun was suddenly gone? Damn, she told Kyuhyun to not go anywhere without her!

 

Sungmin gripped on the cart handle firmly, maneuvering the pushcart to search for the past prince. No one could really blame her for worrying too much; this was just Kyuhyun’s second day on this time, so she couldn’t let him out of her sight for now especially that she promised she would help Kyuhyun. One thing she doesn’t like doing is disappointing someone.

 

Her attention was too focused on looking for Kyuhyun that she didn’t hear someone calling her.

 

It was until her shoulders were held that she was snapped out from her panic mode. Thinking it was Kyuhyun, she turned to her back, already preparing how to scold Kyuhyun but all words died when she saw a raven-haired man in a black leather jacket. Even with the sunglasses covering almost half of his face, she could still recognize this man as she had memorized every detail on his face after spending two years with him.

 

They may be still young back then and their appearances could have changed, but she couldn’t be mistaken. This was the guy who stole all of her firsts—and the guy who she swore to herself she would never go back to. But now that she’s facing him after not seeing each other for three painful years, why did she feel some sense of longing she thought had gone already?

 

“Are you really avoiding me that much?” Yes. “I called you for many times but you didn’t look back.” Did you look back when I called you to stay?

 

She cleared and tried to look nonchalant though her mind and heart were not functioning properly. After all these years, why was she still affected?

 

“I didn’t hear you. I was looking for someone.”

 

The man smiled widely, revealing how white his perfect teeth are. “Is Donghae here, too?” How could he appear before her like he did nothing to her in the past?

 

Should she say she was with another man who’s not her brother? Should she claim she’s with her boyfriend so she could show this man that she has already moved on? No, Kyuhyun would surely get angry and he would blow up her cover.

 

Luckily, before she could answer, the man had a follow-up, “I heard you are Director Park’s protégée. Will I be seeing you on shoots?”

 

Now she didn’t think of that. She knew he was casted in Director Park’s newest drama, but it didn’t fully register in her that—of ing course—Leeteuk would tell her to go to shootings, thus seeing more of the man in front of her. How could she leave that detail out? She wanted to slap herself.

 

“I guess so.” She shrugged and was about to turn to the other side, yet a very familiar, unwelcomed voice butted in. She was looking for him, yes, but she didn’t want him to appear at that moment. As weird as Kyuhyun is, what the prince uttered was weird, too.

 

“Kim Jongwoon!” Kyuhyun almost shouted as he walked towards the duo, making other people look at them curiously. Kyuhyun was just looking for ramyeon when he lost sight of Sungmin. He went looking for her and when he did, he spotted a familiar face which he never expected to see in this timeline. Just with the way his blood boiled by the mere sight of his covered face, he knew his assumption was correct. The other man, indeed, is Kim Jongwoon, son of the traitor who plotted to exterminate his family.

 

“Sorry?” The man in shades arched a brow in confusion; that’s not his name.

 

“What are you doing?” Sungmin asked as she pulled an angry Kyuhyun to her side. This was why she didn’t like the idea of Kyuhyun going out. And what did Kyuhyun call the other man?

 

Kyuhyun struggled in Sungmin’s hold and raised his voice, pointing an accusing finger to ‘Jongwoon,’ “Why are you in this time as well? Did you appear to seek out for me?! To assassinate me where they could not search for my body?!” Kyuhyun screamed with fury, not noticing that more people in the supermarket looked at them, so Sungmin grinned sheepishly at them and bowed apologetically as she dug her nails on Kyuhyun’s arm in an attempt to stop him, while the offended one tried hiding his face using his small hand.

 

“I-I’m sorry, he must have mistaken you for someone else…” Sungmin explained to her past acquaintance while pushing Kyuhyun’s head down, forcing the other to bow, only for Kyuhyun to stand straight and glare at the woman, hissing, “I do not bow to anyone, woman, more than ever to someone like him! Wha—woman, release me!”

 

Sungmin returned the glare, trying to tell Kyuhyun to shut up. Seeing the prince wouldn’t follow her, the brunette then stormed out of the supermarket, pulling a protesting Kyuhyun with her. Besides, Kyuhyun was already creating a scene and it wouldn’t be long before a security guard would send them out. Prevention is always better than cure.

 

The other man stared at the rude stranger and Sungmin’s retreating backs before noticing the forgotten cart of groceries in front of him.

 

 

 “Why did you stop me?! He is here to assassinate me!” Kyuhyun whined whilst trying to break free from Sungmin’s deathly grip. Seriously, he already saw Jongwoon, he could ask if he had something to do with this teleportation thing that happened to him that’s why he was followed by the young lord.

 

Sungmin suddenly halted, causing for Kyuhyun to bump on her back. The woman angrily faced the equally fuming man and hissed in a low voice, “Kyuhyun-ssi, always remember that you’re in a different time now. That guy you called isn’t Jong whoever. He’s Yesung, a celebrity here in South Korea. He’s not here to kill you.”

 

“What makes you so certain—”

 

“He’s my ex-boyfriend.” Sungmin’s voice cracked a bit. If Kyuhyun noticed, he didn’t voice it out.

 

Frowning, Kyuhyun asked, “What do you mean by ‘boyfriend?’” He slightly panicked seeing tears gather on Sungmin’s eyes. Did he insult her?

 

Sungmin heaved a deep sigh and looked away. “Lover. We were lovers, Kyuhyun-ssi, that’s why I know.”

 

That shut Kyuhyun up.

 

~0~

 

Donghae wasn’t able to go back to them. He said his father made him attend to some errands related to their business but Sungmin knew all too well that the patriarch purposely did that so her younger brother wouldn’t spend more time with her. She could only scoff at the thought. As if she’s the bad influence.

 

Thankfully, Kyuhyun didn’t say anything annoying on their way back. She needed silence to think over everything that happened. Seeing Yesung in a public place was the most impossible thing she thought would happen, so she wasn’t prepared at all. The last time they had talked was the night before the debut of Yesung as a soloist three years ago—the night Yesung broke it off. Since then, she did all means to not cross paths with the man, even if she knew that they will have to meet the moment she decided to enter the film industry. She should have prepared herself for this.

 

Unconsciously, she checked her phone for messages from her brother and immediately regretted it. Oh the irony; today’s their supposed-to-be their fifth anniversary. Weirdly, the thought that Yesung intentionally showed himself crossed her mind.

 

“Oh?” Kyuhyun’s surprised voice disturbed her thoughts. The issue had troubled her that she didn’t notice they were already in front of the house. “What do you call those?” She saw Kyuhyun pointing at three bags of groceries obviously from the supermarket they have come from. Did Donghae send those?

 

Then she saw a paper attached on one of the bags. She picked it up and unfolded it, frowning as she read what was written.

 

You forgot these. I didn’t mean to make you angry earlier. I just wanted to see you. I already paid for these as an apology for making you mad. And who is that guy with you who called me Jongwoon?

 

The sender need not introduce himself; she knew he was aware that she could still recognize his handwriting, and she did.

 

So their meeting a while ago was not a coincidence. She had already expected it, but why was she disappointed? Really, she should stop believing that those destiny and fate stories are just , created by hopeless romantics who hold onto these stupid beliefs so they wouldn’t look pitiful that no one loves them. They just give unloved people like her false hopes. As if destiny would let Yesung would go back to her. He was just playing with her mind and heart.

 

“You… for…got… theeee?” Before tears could fall from her eyes, Kyuhyun mumbled from behind her, causing for her to forget the note for a while. The tall man was peeking through her shoulders and was trying to read what was written, a frown marring his handsome face. Nonetheless, she found it cute that Kyuhyun was exerting an effort in learning their ways.

 

However, this was one thing she couldn’t let Kyuhyun read. She crumpled the paper and threw it to the garbage can, earning a gasp from the past prince.

 

“I was reading, woman!” Kyuhyun whined. She bit back a giggle as she brought out the keys and opened the door. She removed her shoes, wore her slippers, and stepped inside, smiling while listening to Kyuhyun’s ramblings.

 

“Will you not take these inside?” Kyuhyun asked. He doesn’t know what were inside the bags and he doesn’t know why Sungmin looked affected. They’re just bags, why would she cry because of it? Or was it because of the letter? Was the letter from that Jongwoon look-alike?

 

Speaking of Jongwoon, if that Yesung person is the future Jongwoon and former lover of Sungmin, then does it mean that Sungmin could have a counterpart in their time? And it is highly possible that Sungmin and Jongwoon are also together. Maybe he could use Sungmin against Jongwoon. Hah.

 

Sungmin looked at Kyuhyun, and then looked at the grocery bags. She was about to ignore those, thinking that those came from Yesung, but those are still food so she shrugged and told Kyuhyun to carry those inside. At this, Kyuhyun looked at her as if she was the queen telling him to get married. “Woman, do you know who you are commanding?”

 

The brunette glanced back at him with her arms crossed, her gaze challenging. “Omo, I just knew that princes aren’t gentlemen. What a pity.” She smirked, seeing Kyuhyun glare harder at her. The smirk turned to a lazy smile before spinning gracefully and marched to the bathroom, leaving Kyuhyun with no choice but to bring the heavy bags inside.

 

Of course he didn’t do it without shouting ancient profanities at Sungmin, who pretended to not hear a single thing by mockingly singing out loud.

 

~0~

 

Showering wasn’t as invigorating as taking a bath in the palace. There were no lavenders floating, he was standing, and he was the one to test the water temperature. Sungmin told him people nowadays do not relish each second while taking a bath as all of them are too busy to stay in the bathroom for too long. That’s wrong; baths are there not only to clean yourself, but also to let you have your time for relaxation and reflection. And truly, he cannot do those while standing in the shower room.

 

He realized even people’s ways evolve drastically through time.

 

Ruffling his hair through the towel, Kyuhyun found Sungmin outside, facing the lively night view of Seoul. Back in Joseon, night time was quiet and dull; people were mostly staying inside their houses to retire for the day. It was totally the opposite of what he had seen in this time. People are still awake and dynamic even after midnight.

 

Because Sungmin’s apartment is located on what it seemed to him as a cemented hill, vibrant colors coming from the commercial area of the city could be seen. There was not such a place like that in Joseon that was why his nights were lonely. He decided that one day he would ask Sungmin to bring him there just to experience feeling alive even once in his life—even if this was like a dream to him that when everything’s going too good, he will wake up and find himself back to his boring, humble chamber. Exactly how long would he stay in this time?

 

It did shock him seeing that a lit stick was in between Sungmin’s slender fingers. He knew what that thing is for. On the way to the mall, he already saw a few people using that unfamiliar stick, that’s why just seeing that stick on Sungmin’s fingers, he knew what the woman is doing. Plus, there were things like that from his time; only that they’re bigger and longer.

 

When she moved to bring the cigarette back to her lips, he strode towards her and snatched it away from her. Sungmin watched Kyuhyun throw the stick to the garbage can beside her, but did not complain and stayed silent. Sungmin’s gaze was blank, almost lifeless.

 

“I did not know you inhale this.” Kyuhyun commented. Based from how highly and innocently Donghae and her neighbor Sunny have described her, he just didn’t expect someone like her would smoke.

 

Sungmin raked her fingers on her hair, sighing heavily. She sniffed and wiped away the tears that just fell from her eyes, looking away from Kyuhyun. She had only opened up her real feelings to Sunny but still left the most important details such as her secret regarding Yesung and what she was about to tell Kyuhyun, a person most possibly from the past and a person she had known for merely two days.

 

“I’m not exactly the purest person in the world just like what the people around you have been telling you. I also have my secrets,” A bitter smile formed on her sweet-looking lips. “Dark secrets.”

 

Maybe what made her comfortable in telling him her secrets was the knowledge that Kyuhyun wouldn’t stay for so long. Even if Sungmin will tell Kyuhyun everything, the man probably wouldn’t have enough time to tell another person as he’ll probably be busy in accomplishing his unknown mission. Plus, he didn’t look like the type to judge someone based on his or her mistakes. Maybe her secrets would still be safe.

 

Kyuhyun looked at her intently, trying to study Sungmin’s actions. “All of us do.”

 

They stared at each other for a while before Sungmin smiled genuinely. Kyuhyun now felt the atmosphere turned lighter between them. It was the first time he had made someone smile like that, and he wouldn’t deny that it is a very nice feeling.

 

“Relax, I only smoke when I’m really depressed, which is like once a month. I’m more of a drinker than a smoker. But it still depends.” Both chuckled. It was strange how they were angry at each other for a moment then in a blink of an eye, they become okay. He watched her bend over and press her elbows against the metal railing, her long brown hair blown by the cold wind.

 

Sungmin is beautiful… really beautiful… when she’s not speaking.

 

“By the way, who is this Jongwoon person you called Yesung? Is he from your time, too?” Sungmin asked, her head slightly tilted to the side as she looked at him. They still kept their voices as hushed as possible for they’re not the only ones in the floor and they need to keep Kyuhyun’s identity a secret.

 

“He is my opponent, Kim Jongwoon. He and that man from earlier are identical, without a doubt. I do not overlook faces. He is the son of that treacherous snake who plotted against my family,” The look on Kyuhyun’s face hardened. Sungmin, worried, stood up properly but kept her hands on the railing. Kyuhyun clenched his fists and continued, hissing, “His father is the reason why our lives are in jeopardy. I have to kill him, Sungmin. I have to kill them before they kill my family.”

 

Sungmin saw moist forming on Kyuhyun’s eyes, and she suddenly had the urge to hug him and comfort him. Recalling her history lessons, King Kyujong’s family really was attacked by a military official, but she can’t remember what happened next. She doesn’t want Kyuhyun to lose his parents for she knew how much it hurts. Even if her biological father is still alive, to her, she doesn’t have one.

 

The soft hand gently placed on Kyuhyun’s back sent alien tingles to the young prince’s body. Kyuhyun couldn’t tell what caused it. He thought the weather was cold, but it suddenly felt warm after that subtle contact. He could feel his anger slowly dissipating.

 

 “Kyuhyun-ssi, calm down. Remember, you’re in a different time now. Besides, if Yesung is indeed the present Jongwoon, maybe he had also changed just like how his name did?”

 

“He would never change.” He managed to mumble.

 

“Why don’t you investigate first before jumping to conclusions?”

 

Right. Maybe finding that mystical thing wasn’t the only reason for him being sent to the future? Maybe Monk Park also wanted him to find out and investigate the cause of the rebellion? Maybe there were more reasons? Of course the monk would not send him all the way here just for a thing. He should find that out.

 

“You know,” Sungmin spoke again, her lips formed to a naughty smile. Kyuhyun knew the serious talk was over. “You should cut your hair.” For the past days, he always had his long hair tied and he had refused to have his hair cut.

 

Kyuhyun glared at her. “You should stop smoking.”

 

They are indeed bipolar.

 

~0~

 

The first weeks went on with Kyuhyun staying in the house while Sungmin was out for school and her part-time jobs. Because Kyuhyun unfortunately doesn’t have the talent to cook for his own survival, Sungmin cooked his breakfast and lunch before she goes to school, then Donghae would accompany him after his classes until Sungmin comes home from work. Kyuhyun didn’t have a problem with that setup because he had Starcraft with him.

 

One Saturday morning, while Kyuhyun was playing 2048 on his phone, Sungmin received a call from Director Park that she should come to the press conference of the drama. She could leave Kyuhyun as usual but the place might interest the prince. She agreed to help him, anyways.

 

“Where are we going?” Kyuhyun asked in a low angry tone as he was disturbed from his game. Why does Sungmin love interrupting his games?

 

She shrugged. “Changdeokgung Palace,”

 

Kyuhyun was the first one to go out of the house.

 

~0~

 

“Ah, Sungmin! Come here, come here!” Director Park waved his hands with a wide smile despite exhaustion etched on his youthful handsome face. Sungmin beamed and ran towards the director while pulling an observing Kyuhyun. His face showed awe while looking around.

 

“Hello, director! How are you?” Sungmin greeted as she bowed.

 

Leeteuk smiled again and finally noticed the young man behind his apprentice. “You didn’t tell me you’ll bring your boyfriend, Sungmin. Were you on a date when I called you? Sorry for the short notice.”

 

The brunette blushed and shook her head vigorously. “N-No, no, no, he’s a family friend who’s in a vacation from China. I was just showing him around.” They already talked about Kyuhyun’s made up story. Kyuhyun resides in China but was having a vacation in Korea so no one would find it weird if Kyuhyun is unfamiliar with the country and when he suddenly disappeared.

 

“I see,” Leeteuk nodded at Kyuhyun who lightly glared at him. “I hope you’ll enjoy your vacation, then. Please keep an eye on him, Sungmin-ah. We don’t want him getting lost here.”

 

Without letting the student reply, Leeteuk gestured for her to follow him and briefed her on what she will do for the day. Sungmin walked behind the director and listened to each instruction attentively. She was then introduced to the main characters, including the oh-so-handsome Kim Yesung on a red and gold royal robe. Of course the two of them pretended not to know each other and greeted one another as if it’s their first meeting. No one noticed the discomfort of Sungmin.

 

While Leeteuk was briefing the cameramen regarding the shots, Sungmin noticed Kyuhyun was not anywhere near her. She shortly felt worried, but after remembering that Kyuhyun was the most familiar one in this place than anyone else here, she decided not to look for him for now. Maybe the man was just strolling around his previous home. She just hoped no one would see him.

 

The press conference successfully wrapped after one hour. The staffs paid respect to each other whilst they pack up. Media men also began packing up but are still interviewing some of the production team. The talents, on the other hand, went back to their respective tents to change into more comfortable clothes and erase their makeup. Since everybody was busy, Sungmin took the chance to look for Kyuhyun.

 

She moved to run inside the palace, but was held back by her ex, still dressed in his traditional Korean outfit. This time, his sunglasses weren’t present, thus making her see his handsome face in its glorious entirety. If he’s gorgeous in his normal clothes, then he’s breathtaking wearing a hanbok. Why are men in traditional robes so attractive?

 

“Yesung-ssi,” she whispered while looking around to see if anyone was present. “Do you need anything?” She politely inquired, trying to pull her hand from Yesung’s hold. She doesn’t want to be in a scandal.

 

“Min…” Yesung affectionately muttered, his gaze softening.

 

Ah, so he’s in his real self, then. How dare he call her that way again? She sighed and gave up struggling. “There are still reporters around. What if they catch us like this?” Sungmin hissed, still wary of their surroundings. She only cared about her reputation; she doesn’t give a damn if Yesung will be involved in any scandal.

 

Does she, really?

 

“I don’t care.”

 

A gasp came out from as Yesung took her in his arms firmly, his face buried on her shoulders. She could have given in, but the fact that they’re in a public place registered in her before the longing for this man did, so she struggled more and tried pushing him away. However, the pressing of lips on hers froze her.

 

 

 

They did a good job in preserving the palace very well, he thought. The wall colors, despite looking newly-painted, were almost the same from his time. He could still remember each room and each hall, even though some of the halls are empty. Every time he walked, he had his eyes closed, imagining the common scenes happening at a particular area, like servants bowing at him whenever they see him. However, the important chambers, such as the royal family members’, were locked.

 

Kyuhyun was just away from his time for merely weeks yet it felt like it had been literally four centuries. No matter how much advanced and fun living in the future was, he would still prefer going back to his time for his family was in it. Here, he has no family. He has no one. He is alone.

 

In a not so far away distance, he caught sight of a couple—one was wearing traditional clothes, while the other one oddly looked too much like Sungmin. The man clad on Joseon clothes had one hand on Sungmin’s nape, the other on her waist, and he had his lips attached on hers. He could not see if Sungmin responded but they were not moving.

 

Kyuhyun touched his chest. Why was he feeling troubled watching this scene? Oh, right, he’s eavesdropping.

 

Then, strangely, he felt relieved when he saw Sungmin push the man away and slap him. He even cringed a bit because from his distance, he heard the contact of Sungmin’s hand on the stranger’s cheek. That must have hurt a lot.

 

He contemplated on hiding when Sungmin ran towards his direction, but decided against it when she stared up at him with her teary round eyes. It was the same expression her eyes had when he first saw her back in the playground.

 

His next actions were subconsciously done, as if it was automatic. He walked towards her, held her hand, and brought her to a place only he could access; his chamber.

 

The main doors were locked, of course, but being known as the most mischievous prince, he had made a secret door to which he wished was not discovered by anyone. Whenever he didn’t want to study but was forced to, he always used that door to escape from the guards on the main doors.

 

He went to the back, searched for that one area on the walls which has a softer spot. He sighed in relief when one familiar area opened like a small door. So no one still discovered his secret door, judging from how he struggled on opening the slightly rusty makeshift door. He grinned in triumph.

 

Kyuhyun silently led Sungmin inside his chamber, taking in its current appearance. He frowned; it’s clean yet so empty. Where did they put his belongings? “Look, Sungmin, they didn’t put—” He glanced back at Sungmin to express his complaint but he closed his mouth seeing how dejected Sungmin looked.

 

Sungmin had her head down, she didn’t care if her hair was unruly, and she was shaking judging from her hand that he was holding. Kyuhyun knew she was crying. His sister Ahra was also like that everytime she cries but tries hiding it from anybody else.

 

Without thinking, he did what his sister does to him when he is sad. He hugged her. He had anticipated being pushed or being slapped just like what she did to the other male, but Sungmin cried harder on his shoulder and even wrapped her arms on his waist. Sungmin felt so small in his embrace.

 

 

 

 “Are you feeling better?”

 

They were seated on the floor facing each other. Sungmin had been crying for more than thirty minutes that Kyuhyun had wondered if there was still water left in her. Do women really cry a lot?

 

“Yeah. Thank you for helping me.” Sungmin wiped her tears using her handkerchief.

 

“I made an attempt on searching for that object. Unfortunately, I could not find it here.” Kyuhyun didn’t know why he opened that topic.  He just thought maybe Sungmin didn’t want to talk about that incident. It just registered in him that the man with Sungmin was that Jongwoon look-alike. So that’s why he was happy that Sungmin slapped him.

 

Sungmin sniffed and weakly said, “Really?” An idea crossed her mind. “If you want, we could visit museums and see if you could find this thing you were looking for.”

 

“Is that so? That would be the right thing to do,” Kyuhyun mumbled while nodding, his quite thick eyebrows meeting at the center. “And Sungmin, I did quite a thinking, and I figured out you might have a complement in Joseon, if that man is indeed Jongwoon.”

 

Even without swallowing anything, Sungmin choked at the revelation. “What, like my past life? So, resurrection is true?”

 

Kyuhyun nodded again. “Possibly. However, I have not yet met someone who is identical to your appearance back in my time. So far, I have only crossed upon Jongwoon’s, and it is possible as well that your past life and Jongwoon are related.”

 

“Heh,” Sungmin chuckled bitterly. “Maybe I’m Jongwoon’s wife or mistress.”

 

Kyuhyun could have laughed at the joke, but they were talking about Kim Jongwoon so that was a serious matter and should not be taken lightly. “Impossible. Kim Jongwoon is not yet married. I was thinking that he has a secret lover, perhaps, and that might be you.”

 

“But why would he hide me?” It’s not like it matters, anyways. Their relationship from the very start really was kept a secret. Only Donghae, and now Kyuhyun, too, knew. Maybe the past and the present are correlated?

 

What could be the reason? Kyuhyun thought. There was one answer that he did not want to admit as he had always thought of Jongwoon as a heartless person just like his father. But Sungmin looked like she needed an answer. Besides, it’s not like it really was the answer to the question.

 

“To protect you.”

 

TO BE CONTINUED