Chapter 7

Of The Arts and Education (HIATUS)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 Despite the wonderful time I had had, the rising of the sun each day brought with it memories and facts that I was trying to repress. I would forget abut Chandler when and only when I would fall asleep. Honestly, I’m surprised I didn’t dream of him. I can probably blame that on my rem cycle though or something scientific like that. I usually dream only a few nights a month, I guess it’s not my time-luckilly.
     The entire time I resisted texting him to see how he was doing. I suppose he was doing the same.
     Or maybe we are really over. He meant what he said and he’s sticking to it. 
     “Hey! Hey you!” Seunghyun shouts as I pass through the kitchen and like a zombie, make my way to my room. I turn to him, my teachers back slung heavily on my shoulder. I let it drop so it’s resting on the floor, the strap in my hand. “What are you doing this Monday,” he asks eagerly. 
     “Working?” I say questioningly, confused as to why he would ask such a question. He knows my schedule, it’s not that hard to memorize even if you’re not trying.
     “No you’re not,” he says devilishly, his mysterious grin growing until it reaches his eyes.
     My brow furrows in confusion.  “And why exactly am I not working?” I ask him in fake curiosity. 
     “You mean you actually don’t know?” the dimples leave his face as confusion replaces his previous look 
     “Enlighten me,” I say, now bored. The weeks emotions are starting to take a toll and not even Seunghyun's reliably lighthearted personality can keep me from becoming sarcastic. I almost immediately regret it, though he doesn’t let on if he is taking offense or not.
     “It’s Children’s Day,” he says in shock. “How can you not know? All schools are closed,”
     “Oh. I guess I’ve been kind of dazing off this week. Well that’s an unexpected gift,” I say, trying to become a more enjoyable person to talk to as I realize my off putting demeanor. 
     “I’m taking my kids to the Han River to play with water guns to celebrate. Want to come?” he asks. “It’s starting to get so warm out now and Monday is supposed to be especially beautiful,” he says, gauging my reaction. How does he think I would act? He seems so nervous as if I might yell at him for it. Did I do something to make him uncomfortable this past week or was I really that unpleasant when I walked through the door just now?  “I mean, the kids miss you. They want to see you again. You really know how to leave an impression,”
     “I didn’t do anything too special,” I say, because for some reason that’s the topic I choose to respond to in the whole conversation.
     “So, do you want to come? It’ll be a great way to relieve some stress. I know I need it at least. Between finals and the two shows I’m working on, I’m close to bursting,” he says.
     Water gun fighting. You know, it doesn’t sound like a bad idea. “Sure,” I say simply.
     “You’ll come?” he says, sounding much more excited now. 
     “Yeah, sounds fun,” I say, trying to bring a smile onto my face. I put my key into the door, turn it and push it open. “What time?”
     “We’re meeting at the river at eleven. The parents will drop them off there. I couldn’t possibly handle bringing them all on the subway,” he laughs. “So we will leave here around ten fifteen. That should give us fifteen minutes before the kids start to arrive,"
     “Cool. Cant wait,” I say, not having to work as hard to sound excited as I thought I would. 
.               .               .
     Monday arrives and I wear my bathing suit underneath a pair of shorts and a long blouse that could either be a pretty shirt or a beach cover up depending on how you wear it. Today, it could really go either way. 
     I gather a small bag and fill it with sunscreen and small towels for the children just in case Seunghyun didn’t think of those things. It’s a woman’s motherly instinct I guess. 
     I go to walk out of my room after putting my hair up in a pony tail and Seunghyun is once again frozen in front of my door mid knock. “I-I…”
     “You know, you can be a lot of fun sometimes but you get uptight over the silliest things. Come on, lets go!” I say then pull his frozen arm down and walk past him.
     “You seem happy today,” he comments, now following into step behind me. I stop at the fridge and pull out a few bottles of water and look at him leaning against the sink while I place the bottles into my bag. 
     “It’s seventy-six degrees outside, how can I not be happy? Oh wait…celcius is...” I start trying to do conversions, forcing all thoughts of Chandler out of my head in an attempt to make today a great day. I can’t figure it out though, so I give up. I look at him from head to toe and give him a quizzical look. “Whats with the socks and Addidas sandals? You’re fashion sense is incredible,” I say in false sincerity. It’s a fashion quirk here for some reason and I’ll never understand it. 
     He questions me with his face before looking down at his feet as if he doesn’t know what he’s wearing. He reaches down and attempts to take his socks off before I close the fridge and stop him. “I’m just kidding-I just don’t understand fashion I guess,” I say and offer him a smile. 
     He slowly stands back up and takes in my appearance as I take in his. He’s wearing a slightly baggy, slightly beat up beige university t-shirt with his university’s logo on it and what I believe to be a pair of swim trunks After a moment he speaks up to say, “They dry faster than regular shorts,” as if reading my mind.
     “At least those you can explain,” I say and then pluck at the strap of my bathing suit through the fabric of my shirt. “I’m prepared as well.”
     “Great! Let’s go!”
    .          .               .
     We arrive at the Han river with exactly fifteen minutes to spare like he said and find an open spot on the grass. He pulls a picnic blanket out from a giant tote bag and I help him lay it out. Then he turns his bag over and empties it revealing tons of water guns, sunscreen, water, snacks, things of the like. 
     “So you thought of everything I guess,” I say, shyly pulling some sunscreen out from my bag and placing it gently down on the picnic blanket, then the towels, then the water.
     “I’m practicing to become a good Dad,” he says, and for some reason my heart starts beating a mile a minute. ”You okay?” he asks, and its only then that I realize I haven’t let my eyes leave his for quite some time. 
     “Uh…yeah,” I say, quickly detaching my gaze from his. I can’t help but love the idea of him with his own children. My thoughts are broken when his phone begins ringing. 
     “Excuse me,” he says and turns to answer his phone. He sounds concerned but eventually manages to solve his problem. He hangs up and turns back to me. “That was Changmin. He says he doesn’t have enough money to refill his card. He wasn’t going to come because he wouldn’t be able to get back home. He’s so rediculous sometimes,” he sits down on the picnic blanket, resting his arms on his knees and observing the environment around him. “To miss a day of fun, on his own holiday just because he can’t fill his card,”
     “So he’s not coming?” Changmin is Seunghyun’s oldest student. He is fourteen years old and seems to be quite independent for his age. He’s a big help when it comes to the other students because he is so intelligent for is age. 
     “Of course he is!” he responds as if I I had just asked the silliest question. “Like I can’t give him chun won* to go home…” he begins to mutter to himself in Korean and his face suddenly loses some of it’s light. I stand there clueless as to what to do but he speaks again before I can think of anything. “He is always trying to be so independent, you know? If he doesn’t have the money, then he won’t do it. If he needs help on his homework, he won’t ask for it. This kid…I don’t know why he refuses to be helped. I had to practically yell at him to get him to accept pocket change from me,” he sounds distressed so I take a seat next to him, mimicking his posture

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter