Seat Buddies

Open Your Heart To Love

LAY

I met Skater Girl in Geometry class this morning. I still don’t know her name yet, not that I’m interested to know. She was really participative in class but from what I have noticed, it seems like she’s having a hard time with the subject. She also made a lot of friends by the end of the class. Why am I even talking about her?

Anyway, this is my third class. Literature. This is where I sit at the back so I could sleep peacefully. Yes. Peace—

“Oy! Hello again, Manga Dude!”

Not again?! Ugh. There’s Skater Girl waving happily at me and motioned for me to sit next her.

I didn’t have second thoughts anymore and went to the vacant chair at the back. I prayed that someone else will take the seat next to me as soon as possible. Preferably non-talkative like me.

Right. This is comfortable, now I can watch my anime in peace.

“HI.”

The .

“What are you doing here? Go back to your seat.” I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

“Nah, I’ve changed my mind. And besides, you’re the only one I know here.” Skater Girl replied, “Also… I doubt you know anyone in this class.”

I stared at her, “What makes you think that? Believe it or not, I actually know someone in this class and he’s coming.”

I saw her smile and look around. I, on the other hand, was nervously looking at the door.

“Hey! Dude, glad to know we’re in the same class!” I greeted the guy who went inside the room and I prayed to all of the saints that existed that he would act along with me.

But he looked at me weirdly and went to find a seat. Okay, that didn’t go well.

Skater Girl was chuckling beside me, “Looks like you do know him but he doesn’t know you!” She laughed hysterically at me.

“Fine! I don’t know anyone. Just... just don’t talk too much, okay?” I said in defeat while she kept on laughing.

Skater Girl finally calmed down, “This is cool. We’re seat buddies in two of our classes. And for your information, I’ll talk as much as I want.”

“Fine, talk all you want then. I’m not listening to you.”

“Did I say I was going to talk to you?”

And for the third time, I am defeated by this girl.

I came in late for my Art class on purpose just in case she was there again. And as if fate was playing with me, the only vacant seat left was next to her. I had no choice but to sit beside Skater Girl.

You see, we were asked to copy something from the board and my pen happened to around. The ink stopped flowing in the middle of my copying so I cursed silently. I was about to borrow another pen from my other seatmate when I felt something poke my waist.

Skater Girl handed me her pen as she continued to write with a new one. What can I do? The pen’s here already, why should I ask for something else?

“Uh, thanks.” I muttered silently.

“What? I can’t hear you.” she put her hand on her ear and leaned closer to me as if she was deaf.

“I SAID THANKS.” I replied loud enough which made everyone stop copying and look at me. Even the professor lowered his specs and stared at me.

“Sorry.” I nodded in embarrassment as some of my classmates chuckled. Skater Girl was giggling which made me want to stab her with the pen I’m holding.

JIHAN

I feel sorry for Mister Otaku. I have embarrassed him many times in one day. It’s just that he reacts funnily when he sees me.

Why is he even trying to avoid me? It’s not like I wanted us to have the same subjects. I don’t even know him to begin with.

I have five subjects everyday and it seems like we’re classmates in three of them. And it looks like it’s the fourth right now.

“Don’t tell me we’re classmates again?” I asked him while smiling. He didn’t smile back though.

“What does your schedule say?”

“Foreign Language, 3 to 4 PM, Room 205.” I read my schedule, “What about yours?”

Manga Dude showed me his schedule and his last subject stated the same.

“Would you look at that, we really are classmates.” I chuckled, “Let’s get inside.”

“Don’t sit next to me.” Mister Otaku uttered.

But then, when we got inside, there were only two vacant chairs left at the back. I looked at him and shrugged.

“You have no choice but to sit next to me, Mister Otaku.” I smirked as I walked past him and sat on the chair.

“What did you just call me?” he squinted at me as I chuckled since he looked cute doing that.

“I forgot.” I replied as he rolled his eyes and listened to the teacher. I glanced at him for a moment and studied his side-profile.

Well, he has brown hair with side-swept bangs. He looks like an emo if you look at his side view. Especially since he wears purple headphones around his neck. He has a very fair skin with no blemishes at all. Just like Luhan.

Wait what?

I slapped my forehead for thinking about Luhan again. And just when I remembered that he’s not my boyfriend anymore, my heart broke again.

“Will you stop staring at me?” Manga Dude said in annoyance as I chuckled at him.

“I wasn’t.” I replied but he didn’t budge. Oh well.

LAY

After Foreign Language class, the annoying girl continued to follow me.

“Hey, Otaku Guy! Manga Dude! Mister Otaku!” she kept calling after me with those annoying nicknames until I decided to stop on my tracks which made her crash into my back.

Some kind of spirit suddenly possessed me that I found myself laughing along with her. Apparently, we were both laughing because of her ‘little’ accident just now. And when I realized I was actually laughing with a stranger (for the first time), I abruptly stopped laughing.

“Okay, enough. Yo, Otaku G—“ Skater Girl slowly stopped laughing.

“Call me Lay.” I corrected her this time.

“Lay?” she raised an eyebrow at me, “Lays? Like the chips?”

I shrugged, “Long story.”

“I’d like to know one day.” She smiled again, “I’m Jihan, by the way.”

Jihan reached for my hand and I shook hands with her. Then we continued to leave the hallway.

“Since we’re both classmates in four of our subjects, why don’t we study out together?” Jihan suggested. As much as I hate to think about it, I kind of feel like this girl likes me. She’s been talking to me and sitting next to me all day—and not to mention, embarrass me.

“Study all the four subjects?” My eyes widened at her suggestion. I mean I have no problems with studying, it’s just that… I’m not used to studying with someone.

“Two is fine. Do you have any subjects that are… um, quite hard for you? Because I’ll be frank, I despise Math. I’m not good at it!” As far as I have observed, Jihan always smiles whenever she talks.

I cleared my throat and breathed heavily, “Literature.”

“Seriously?” She looked at me like it was the most impossible thing to happen on Earth.

“Yes. Literature isn’t really my thing.” I replied.

“Okay then, you help me with Geometry and I’ll help you with Literature.” Jihan said.

“Not bad.” I shrugged again.

“So, is it a deal?” Jihan asked excitedly.

I nodded and smiled.

“Cool! I’ll see you tomorrow then. I still have my next class. Bye!”

We parted ways and just when I thought she left…

“Lay!”

I turned to see the owner of the, now, familiar voice.

“Nice meeting you.” Jihan said with a smile before she ran off to her classroom.

At this moment, I have a feeling that that voice will always be heard for the rest of my life.

(a/n): There were a lot of changes when I changed the title to OYHTL. lol. I had to change the background and the banner. As you can see, Kai and Krystal are in my 'to be continued' banner because I also want them to appear somewhere in the page, so yeah. :D Here they are. Haha.