What's wrong with this place?

Lovely Circumstances

As every Monday in Saint Claudia’s school, senior year students walk with their heavy backpack to their first class of the week,their dark blue blouse with the school’s insignia and a black trouser/skirt was suiting perfectly with the ambience in that moment, they looked like a group of zombies rather as people. Mondays are always horrible for students, but there was a strange energetic girl, she was walking happily and greets her friends with a bright smile which was contrasting with her friend’s face ,her name is Lina. After the first class, students started following the dynamic, English class starts, and there’s Lina trying to pay attention to what her teacher was talking about, when the rest of the class were spending time down talking about clothes, ex-boyfriends, football.. The class starts getting so boring for everyone that the teacher decided to see a English-talked documentary from Youtube.

When the documentary looked as it was going to start , one of those annoying commercials began to play, what was different is that none of those people would ever imagined to see such a surprising commercial as that one was; it was a korean-sang commercial about Duty free stores, the surprising part wasn’t the Korean, it was that the main character was LINA! At the instance when the commercial song started, Lina’s face completely changed from happy to horror one, she couldn’t believe that was happening; YG Papa promised her that he’ll try his best to not to let anyone know that she was studying in Spain, since she debuted 2 years ago as actress with a young age, her parents decided to cancel all her activities so she can finish ,at least, her basic high school studies in her born country, Spain.

 

“So he’ll try his best he said……” Said Lina angrily.

 

“ OMG IS THAT YOU LINA?” exclaimed one of those gossip classmates.

 

“I almost didn’t recognize you, you look so different there….” Said one of her friends, Carlos.

 

“Hey relax guys, do you really think that fabulous girl is me? “ Said Lina jokingly but she was actually happy after hearing the last compliment.

“We didn’t said “fabulous”... “ replied Carlos laughing.

 

angrily..... “I’m not that girl,ok? Can’t you guys see the difference?” said Lina angrily.

 

She standed up and went straight to the screen.

 

“Oh yeah, she’s prettier than you” said Carlos smiling evilly.

 

“...... Much prettier than Lina and …” continued Anna, the only one that knew Lina’s actress identity and also one of her closest friends.

“Ok thanks for compliments guys,”replied Lina “See? I think you guys are just racist or something, just because I’m asian doesn’t mean that we all asian looks alike.”

 

That answer left the class with an awkward ambience.

 

“Thanks god I’m saved” thought Lina.

 

---------

You never know what kind of malicious joke reality would play with you. For example, while Sofia was walking in the new school, she was totally convinced that nothing out of ordinary would happen. She was nervous, of course, after all, Korean is a difficult language, and despite the fact that she has been studying it for 5 years, she was unsure of her ability to interpret necessary sounds and not to look like an idiot.

It all seemed completely normal (even a  bit to normal), while she was examining the new school, she even thought for what the college was, it was too damn expensive. She walked to the front door, and heard the bell ring.

"Well, at least I didn't arrive late" said Sofia to herself. "Whoa, looks are deceiving!" exclaimed the girl. She contemplated beautiful modern design and inner structure of this place. Hell, the first thing she saw was a fantastic garden with exotic (for Korea) plants in it. Not knowing where to go she climbed the stairs and started to look for her class (2-F), when she suddenly bumped into someone.

 

 "Oh, I'm so sorry," said Sofia while looking at a girl she bothered.

 

And it was a really beautiful young woman with aristocratic look and long chocolate hair. The girl was angrily looking at her.

 

"Listen, what the hell are you doing?" was the first thing she asked." And if I had something in my hands and i would have dropped it because of you?"

 

"But you didn't," calmly replied Sofia. "And if you had something I would die of shame and helped you to pick it up."

 

The girl said something which Sofia didn't understand, but after a while she started to examine her.

 

"Who are you, by the way?" asked she more calmed.

 

"Oh, I'm actually new in here," replied Sofia with a huge smile.

 

"That's what I thought..." the girl looked at the watch on her tiny wrist. “So, what's your talent?"

 

"Huh?"

 

"You must be very good at something to be accepted in here, you know."

 

"Does knowing all of the episodes of Sherlock by heart count?" jokingly replied Sofia.

 

The beautiful girl rolled her eyes and impatiently brushed her hair.

 

"Okay, I don't have time for you, the teacher is coming. Which class are you from?"

 

"2-F, at least that is what I was told".  

 

“It’s down the corridor, the last class,” said the girl and quickly run to her class.

 

Sofia followed the indications and found herself in front of bunch of incredibly beautiful asian people.

 

“Wow, looks like I will have an inferiority complex…”muttered the girl.

 

-------

 

“Hello, my name is Sofia Bejnetskaya, I’m from Russia,” the young woman bit her lip and then smiled nervously. “I hope you’ll treat me well…”

 

“Sure, Bej...Bejn...Sofia, please sit there.” The teacher said calmly.

 

Sofia walked to the empty seat near the window and immediately sat there, while the teacher carried on explaining. It was difficult to understand at first, but when she calmed down a little bit, Sofia thought to herself, that she could manage through. Suddenly a hand touched her shoulder, making the girl flinch and give a surprised look to a person who did it. It was a pretty tall guy with dyed hair. His smile was so wide and he seemed so friendly, that Sofia smiled back a little bit.

 

“Hey, you have a funny accent,” whispered he.”It’s impressive, that you came here from Russia, you must be very talented.”

 

It was the second person that asked this to her and again, she didn’t know how to respond.

 

“So what is it?” Curiously asked the guy.

 

“Chanyeol, are you giving our new student a hard time? Really?” The teacher angrily glanced at the guy.

 

“No, how could you think that?!”

 

Sofia breathed out and laid her chin on her hand. While she was walking to her new school, nothing seemed out of ordinary, but now she was surrounded by beautiful people in a beautiful place. Maybe her father messed up again (she wouldn’t be surprised, really) and gave her to some sort of private school where they only admit beautiful people?

When the class ended the girl felt the touch again.

 

“Hey, how are you doing?” Asked loudly the boy.

 

“I felt better, you know.”

 

“I’ll take you to the next class!” optimistically said the guy. “It’s a dancing lesson, are you a good dancer? What is your…?”

 

And the interrogation continued while they were walking into the new class.

 

“Ok, so here we are!” Said Chanyeol extending his arms at the same time.

 

The dance studio was a really impressive-huge place with all those speakers and mirrors.

 

“.... I’m sure I saw this place somewhere” Muttered Sofia trying to remember where she saw that.

 

“Isn’t it huge? I’m not very good at dancing but well at least its fun… Are you good at it? ” asked Chanyeol enthusiastically.

 

“Me? Dancing? Hahaha..” She couldn’t answer him after remember her last ballet class which was 6 years ago. “No, I’m definitely not a good dancer.”

 

“So what’s your talent?” asked the guy again.

 

“What’s wrong with you? Seriously, I don’t know what are you talking about” replied Sofia with a bit of annoyance.

 

“Oh, you just don’t want to tell me,” Chanyeol made his mind and smiled politely.

 

Sofia was asking herself is she annoyed him, when she saw two people, one male student and the other one was a tall girl with pink hair. They really looked annoyed by each others company.

 

“You’ll get used to it, they always behave that way…” laughed Chanyeol.

 

“Why? Are they some sort of competitors?”

 

“Of course, they are the best dancers in the school! Nobody is that flexible and can change to different styles as quickly as them. They are geniuses.” Said Chanyeol convincingly.

 

“SILENCE!” Screamed the teacher. “I see a new face right there...” Pointing at Sofia.

 

All the murmurs disappeared, and suddenly everybody glanced at Sofia, expecting her say something.

 

“Uhmm… Hello I’m Sofia Bejnetskaya, I’m from Russia” answered Sofia nervously.

 

“Bej- what? Anyway I’m Kim Hanyu, I’ll be your dance teacher and I need you to perform … Let’s say it’s a dancing ‘exam’, just to know your dancing skills level ” said the teacher watching Sofia with curiosity.

 

“Oh, I can tell that it’s disastrous,” smiled Sofia. “My skill is that great, that I can perform the penguin dance from Mary Poppins, or maybe the dance from Pulp Fiction”.

 

While the class was looking at her in confusion, the girl with the pink hair laughed. Suddenly, the door opened and a tall, big figure walked into the room. The class greeted him politely, and Sofia understood that he was the director, that actually was walking in her direction.

 

“Are you the new student?” asked he coldly.”I see, that you are. Can you please answer me, do you know what kind of university is this?”

“Some sort of musical university, sir?”

 

“It’s a art college, do you know the meaning of our school’s name?” asked the intimidating figure.

 

“Uhmm… Not actually, I just saw AC in your website.” said Sofia.

 

“Well then, let me explain you, the A means Apollo,a Greece mythology god of sun and art and the C as you can guess, means College” said the director.

 

“Oookay..” replied Sofia, trying to guess what he was trying to say. “So it’s kinda Art College?”

 

“Exactly what he said...” muttered the pink hair girl.

 

“Of course it is, but not only that, here we offer the highest and best education system to the most talented students” proudly answered the director.

 

“So I’m in the wrong place,” grinned Sofia. “How did I get accepted then, if you cautiously check on every student?”

 

“A simple mistake,” unwillingly said the director.”You see, there was a girl named Sofia Bejnitskaya too, she is a brilliant singer. By accident we’ve chosen you, not her.”

 

“Oh, so Koreans have their mistakes,” answered Sofia without hesitation. “But really, sir, was it that necessary to split out something like that in front of the class making me feel like a clown?”

 

The directors eyes widened a little bit.

 

“Please do not worry, you are staying here. The other Sofia agreed to the Vienna’s Music University, to my regret. You won’t have the specific class, such as singing, dancing and music composition, but you must study the other subjects.”

 

Saying that, the director left. Sofia looked at the teacher and sat on the bank, ignoring the glances. She felt so imposing that couldn’t even answer all the consolations that Chanyeol was saying.

 

“... Well let’s get the class started, don’t think that if incidents like this happens in my class means ‘no having class’ ” yelled the teacher “Yah, Chanyeol! Stop doing helpless things and repeat with your group the last choreography that you learnt.”

 

“Got it, sir,” then he jump up and ran to the other classmates.

 

The music started playing with a slow ballad and the first group started with a contemporary style. Their synchronization was precise and clean, no one seemed to be better than the rest, which made the performance look even more spectacular.

 

“Oh, perfect” muttered Sofia feeling even more depressed.

 

“Nice, you guys are improving but if you could smile or at least pretend to smile, it’ll be better” said the teacher with an emotionless look on his face “Ok, NEXT!”

 

“Ok ok, could you please stop yelling? We’re not deaf...” replied the pink hair girl with her face puckered, covering her ears with her hands “..yet” she muttered.

 

“Lee Lina, are you going to teach me how to teach people?” asked the teacher sarcastically.

 

“If it helps you to stop yelling us , yes” the girl smiled mischelviously to Mr.Kim Hanyu.

 

“Yah! Just because you’re one of the most talented here dancing, doesn’t mean that you can talk to your teacher like this, now show me what you’ve been doing” said Mr.Kim with an angry expression.

 

“Yes sir” said the girl.

 

The silence and the intrigue of Sofia after hearing “one of the most talented here” made her stare at the girl during the entire performance.

“Wow!”exclaimed Sofia when the pink haired girl started doing her solo part. The depression was vanishing into the thin air while all her attention was on the performance. “Oh god, I need to record it or something, this is freakin’ awesome!” Then she sought on her backpack the little Canon camera that her father brought her as a farewell present.

Sofia took a photo of the girl while she was doing a split. She took a notebook and wrote to herself : “I have always considered myself a non interested person, but seeing such a personal and expressive dance made me understand what dancing really means to this person. I can understand now, why Chanyeol considered her one of the best of the class. Maybe it wasn’t technically perfect, but normal person wouldn’t realise that.”

The pink haired girl curiously glanced at Sofia and then smiled. She stood up and looked at the teacher with a look that certainly said that (not a single was given) that she perfectly did her best.

 

“I don’t think it was a bad performance?” rhetorically asked the girl and smiled again.

 

“You could have done better, while you were doing the split you were too slow, for a level that was expected from you”. Said the teacher with irritation. “Okay, return to the group and continue your lesson.”

 

“Well, that’s bull” whispered the pink haired girl in English, and Sofia chuckled.



 

 

The class ended with a very energetic song, making the group almost dead while they were changing.

 

“What are you doing?” Asked the girl Sofia bumped into this morning to the pink-haired girl. “Lina, you should actually think about your words, before opening that mouth.”

 

“I didn’t know I had an annoying older sister,” laughed Lina politely.

 

“You wished you had me as a sister.”

 

“Oh, I don’t think Jessica-sshi is to happy.” grinned the girl.”What do you think, Krystal?”

 

The beautiful aristocratic girl walked away and Lina went to the dressing room. “Ah, it’s time to eat! Finally!” said the girl in Chinese. While she was changing she actually realised, that she hurt herself while jumping, but first of all, it wasn’t that bad and second, she couldn’t just give herself a break, she was competing against Lay!

Lina then rushed to the canteen, because despite the nation, students in every country still look more like warriors and less humans, while fighting for food, even if it’s not good. As she thought, she arrived late and even wanted to retreat, when her little friend’s voice sounded behind her.

 

“You are late again, unnie,” mockingly said Soo Hyun.

 

“But again, you are lucky, noona, we ordered your meal.” Continued Chan Hyuk.

 

“And I told you million times, that I’m not ‘noona’!” Lina’s voice sounded offended, but today she decided to give up on that. After all, her friends had reserved her food.

 

“Hahaha…. really?” Some crazy laughter made Lina turned back her body to see who was that person. Her eyes turned widely big after seeing that was the new girl Sofia with Chanyeol and Chen (the last two didn’t surprised her at all). It’s been a while since she saw a female human being (excluding herself) to laugh normally, without making stupid giggle just to look more adorable.

 

“Unnie… Is that the new girl?” asked Soo Hyun innocently drinking her juice.

 

“Yeah, that poor girl is known being a ‘no-talented’ after the stupid conference by the Director Kan in front of the class” said Lina with a bit of annoyance.

 

“Jeez… That was rude” replied Chan Hyuk at the same time as he bited a piece of his sandwich.

 

“Definitely, but you know, if that surprises you, I don’t know how can you be so blind by not realising how the director is.  Although, with your extreme cuteness you don’t need to...”

 

The siblings rolled their eyes, showing that they were tired of Lina’s sudden attacks of affection.

The elder girl just smiled and looked at the window. It was nothing new that the director behaved that way, in fact, he firmly believed that only strict education and no care for the pupils will teach the future idols “real life”. He often scolded innocent souls before and he will continue doing that.