The Surprise Inside the Surprise

So Near Yet So Far (Completed)
A/N: I want to thank Kate Jie for lending a hand with the Philippine setting, the scenes and the people I used in this story. Thank you!

*****************************************************************************

I am not supposed to join this trip but why am I so early you ask? Well, I don't know either. I was stumped, too, to find myself sitting alone in the VIP waiting area. I called Shige to ask if I was late and as you can guess, he teased me for being so overly excited. Apparently, he was just about to pack and here I am, all bundled up and ready to leave. It was 05:45 am. I thought we're leaving at 08:45 am? Aren't we suppose to check at least three hours before? And why am I on the VIP waiting room? I wasn't informed that I'll be paying for a very expensive trip! But the airport personnel that I asked for assistance made sure she has brought me to the right room. Whoever was the owner of this idea will definitely receive a lashing from me.

Then the door burst open and admitted Allie. She was the exact opposite of me, wearing khaki bermuda shorts, black Mickey Mouse shirt and sneakers. She was so simple but still, she took my breath away. Suddenly, I felt so warm in my turtle necked, long sleeved ribbed shirt under a brown dinner jacket.

"Pi-chan. You're. . .early." She said slowly and occupied the armchair adjacent mine.

"Ohayo." She murmured an inaudible reply. I swallowed and picked a random magazine on the coffee table. I coughed when I saw that it was MY An An issue. I threw it harshly back on the table, face down.

"What's the problem?" I heard her ask. She was reapplying her lip balm and I fought my hardest so my gaze won't linger on forbidden areas.

"Nothing. I--I've read that magazine a long time ago." I stacked the magazines to mask my embarrassment, tactically placing the old An An issue at the base of the stack. It just didn't feel right to let her see me getting intimate with another girl. Even if it was just for show. I don't know what's happening to me. For sure she had seen it before. She's my manager for crying out loud!

"Oh. Is that Akanishi-kun's An An? Can I see it? I heard the JE employees talking about it the other day." She was eyeing the latest issue of An An with Akanishi Jin on the cover. She leaned to get the magazine when I grabbed it and put it away. I mean, Jin's my friend but I KNOW what was in there and there's no way in hell I am going to allow her to see it!

"Hey! What are you doing? You can read it after me, okay?" She huffed, annoyed.

"No way. If you listened to the employees closely then you already know what's inside." I argued hotly.

"It's not as if I am a minor, Yamaa Tomohisa." She rolled her eyes.. "Hand it over." She ordered and held a hand out, left eyebrow raised, challenging me.

"Hi guys!" Came Tegoshi, escorted by another airport personnel. His eyes widened when he saw that it was just the two of us. I narrowed my eyes and he smiled sheepishly. "So," He started, looking at me and Allie and then back again. "Am I interrupting something?"

"He just wouldn't hand the magazine over." She reported.

"Would you let her see this, Tego-chan?" I held the magazine up in his direction. I suddenly found an ally.

"What is--no. Certainly not." He grabbed the magazine from me and threw it on the couch and sat on it. I laughed merrily.

"You guys are ganging up on me! Wait 'til Kei-chan hear about this." She crossed her arms across her chest and stuck her nose up in the air. She can't be more kawaii.

"I think I heard my name." Koyama arrived too and threw his sports bag aside. Okay, I don't travel light, so what? I brought a large suitcase with me with all my favorite things. Including my manga collection. And why am I the only one wearing a jacket?

"They won't let me read the freakin' magazine."

"What magazine?" Tegoshi avoided Koyama's gaze.

"Jin's An An." I said.

"They really shouldn't have. I could have killed them if they did." He answered readily and gave both Tegoshi and I a high five.

"You too! I hate you guys!" She whined. "And eh, Pi-chan, didn't I tell you guys to bring light clothing?" She was scrutinizing my clothes now. Which were a lot different from what the three of them were wearing. Then she looked at Tegoshi and Koyama. Tegoshi bit his lip, looking guilty.

"I thought the other guys told him." He said defensively. I had an idea on what REALLY happened.

"Pi-chan, you should have known the Philippines IS a tropical country." She refocused on me again and in my wrong choice of clothes. "We have warm weather whole year round." She was like explaining to a five year old retard. Ugh! "Why didn't you guys tell him?"

"But I thought Ryo told him."

"Whatever. I'll go shopping there anyway." I was really disgruntled. I knew for a fact that they purposely didn't tell me. After paying for this ridiculously expensive airport accommodation, I'll have to spend money on clothes too?

"That's new, stingy old grump." Koyama whacked me with a throw.

"Aw!"

"Okay! Ceasefire! Hand me over your passports." She ordered and we sat up in attention. I was hoping against hope I forgot to bring my passport. But it was inside my hand carry. Bright and red. And it looked like it was smiling at me.

She pushed a button on the wall and a man came knocking a few minutes later. He was a middle-aged man in a suit. "Ojou." He bowed.

"Is the plane ready?" She asked.

"Almost. Can I take your passports now?" He asked. What? Did he mean we don't have to fall in line? Great. This is becoming really expensive by the second.

"Here. But we're still waiting for three people. I'm sure they're on their way now."

"Don't worry, I'll have these processed first and I'll take care of the rest later." That was all he said and disappeared.

*****************************************************************************

"I can't believe you chartered us a flight Nee-chan! This is so great!" Massu exclaimed. We were all in the first class section of the plane. Wait, first class doesn't have it's own bar, does it? So it's not JUST first class. Do we really have to splurge?

"Are we spending everything we earned from the last album? And more?" I asked sarcastically.

"Shut up! This is once in a blue moon." Shige spat. "I don't really think we should be hearing that from you of all people." I knew where he's going so I shut the hell up.

"I have it all covered so don't fret." She told us while flipping through the movie choices on the HUGE television screen.

"Majide?! Are we paying you that big?" It was Ryo.

"How I wish." Allie rolled her eyes.

"Eh, Nee-chan, tell us something about your country. What we should and should not do while we're there." Koyama asked. Finally, something with sense.

"Right. Tell us." Tegoshi prodded.

"Filipinos are relatively open minded. Most of the things that are taboo in Japan are usually taboo in there too. Public display of affection aren't really prohibited but are frowned upon. Unlike in Japan, men are supposed to go after the girl so be prepared to make the first move if you're smitten by a Filipina." She chuckled. "Though girls making the first move is kinda acceptable nowadays. If you eat, you ask people to join you. Uhm, what else?" She placed her forefinger on her chin. "You guys remember the Tagalog words I taught you right? And the po and opo?" They nodded. I was pretending to sleep. "Well, that's pretty much it. Just ask me if there is something you're confused about."

"How about your family?" Ryo asked.

"Honestly, I don't know if they'll be home. But in case they are, no worries. They're very cool. Especially my mom. My brother stays in Germany while my sister's studying in Juilliard's." She beamed.

"You have a sister? Can we meet her?" As expected, it was Ryo.

"No. I'll kill you if you ever think about it Nishikido." I was sure it wasn't an empty threat.

I guess I slept the rest of the flight and found Ryo and Koyama hovering above me when I woke up. "Wake up, Prince Charming. We're in the ball now." Koyama tsked. An old man in a generic suit and a streched limo were waiting for us at the tarmac. Now, look at that! Whoever picks passengers at the tarmac? What were we, Prime Ministers of Japan? And I've noticed that we're the only ones who alighted the plane. The huge Boeing was just for us? Incredible.

We all boarded the limo, everyone (except me since I was occupied with my own thoughts) were busy ohhh-ing and ahhh-ing with the new surroundings and of course, the lavish vehicle. Allie and the one she introduced as Rodney were having a rapid exchange in a language I could not understand. But it's definitely not Tagalog. That, I was sure. We heard enough of the language when she was not in a good mood and will call the 'best friend' and they will talk on the phone for hours.

"Is the hotel near your house, Nee-chan?" Massu asked.

"Uhm, you guys are staying in my house. It's gonna be a little cramped though. Is that okay?"

"Beggars can't be choosers." Shige beamed. We were entering an exclusive village that says: Forbes Park. Then a few more meters and we saw the sign that says Manila Polo Club and then a series of beautiful houses in mammoth proportions. And I thought Philippines was considered a third-world country? It doesn't seem like it.

"Wow. Is this where you live?" Ryo can't get a hold of himself.

"By the end of the street." She replied.

"Cramped my ." That's all that I can say when we finally pulled up. I mean, the house wasn't big. It was HUGE. I think it occupies a whole block and has a separate covered lot that houses numerous expensive cars. We're all kind of speechless when we arrived.

"Okairi." She said playfully.

"Allie!" An old woman in a maid's uniform hugged her tightly. "Nanny! I missed you! I brought a lot of things for you. And oh, these are my bosses." She laughed. "Pi, Ryo, Kei, Teshi, Shige and Massu." While pointing at each of us. "Be careful about gossiping about them, 'kay? They kinda understand Tagalog." She chortled.

"Hajimemae." She struggled with her Nihonggo but we all felt welcome because of that.

"Are their rooms ready?"

"Since yesterday."

"Good. Where's Mom and Dad?"

"They'll be arriving tonight. I bet they'll be surprised."

"That's my goal. Please take all of their baggages upstairs and have Kyle bring some casual clothes for him." She pointed at me. "Size 3 ne, Pi-chan?" I nodded weakly, startled. Let's all take a little rest before lunch.

I ended up sharing a room with Ryo since the rest were too afraid to have a room all by himself.

"Oi, you were too silent." He noticed. "You're giving yourself away. Or is it part of your plan?"

"What plan?" I decided to play innocent.

"Oh c'mon! This could be your chance, you know? To win her over. I bet THAT guy haven't even met her parents yet."

"Will you please keep it down?" I hissed. "She might hear you."

"Whatever. This could be your last chance. Don't wait until she's back in the arms of that baka." And sauntered to the bathroom. I gritted my teeth. But then, he's right. I thought about it for a long while. If I confess, there's no guarantee that she'll accept me. But if I keep mum, I'll have to say goodbye to the littlest of chance that she'll be mine. I was having a brain malfunction.

*****************************************************************************

She looked like a goddess in that white sundress. I literally have to wipe my drool. And that's all it took for me to realize that I can't pass this chance up. I'll have to tell her what I feel before we get back to Japan. Right. So it's decided. I just need the right timing.

"I'll be cooking our dinner, come with me at the kitchen." She gestured for me and Tegoshi to follow. The house was really big. And the statues look like they'll come alive any second.

"Nee-chan, are you some kind of a Princess or something?" Tegoshi asked. Okay, I haven't really spoken a sentence since we arrived.

"What?" She laughed. "Pi-chan, are you sick? I haven't heard much from you since this morning." She asked, her eyes mirrored genuine concern. I was touched.

"He's love sick." Tegoshi guffawed. I whacked him in the head.

"Oh. Is that so? Same here." Her face fell and quickly changed the topic. I thanked Buddha for that. The rest arrived after a few minutes and we helped her prepare dinner.

"I hope it's okay that I cook. It's seldom that I cook for my parents so. . ."

"We miss your cooking too." That's true. We used to spend evenings at her pad but the last few months were too loaded that we barely make it home between engagements.

"I noticed the Polo Club's just blocks away, can we go there one time?"

"No." The ready reply. Koyama's face fell.

"Why?"

"'Cause we have our own polo field." It was Rodney who appeared from nowhere. "Ms. Allie, I had the clothes you requested from Kyle brought to Mr. Yamaa's room. And do you need help with dinner?"

"Thanks, Rodney. Have Kyle charge it to my account. And I think I have enough help here. I'll call you if I need you. Do inform me if they arrive.."

"Oi, I can pay for my own clothes." I retorted.

"I know. But it's my fault that you didn't bring appropriate ones so it's on me."

"You have your own Polo field!" Shige exclaimed. "Is the plane yours too?"

"It's our company's actually. They just lent it to me."

"Whoa. You must be filthy rich."

"My parents are. Not me." She corrected. "And don't you hang out with one on a daily basis?" She gave me a look.

"Then you're as rich as Pi-chan?"

"Are you kidding me? Pi's family's one of the richest in Asia." Okay, that as much was true. But did she really have to rub it in? It was always an issue when I refuse to buy things that I don't need but my band mates think were cool. Or whenever I don't leave 'enough' tip for the restaurants ect. Was it a sin to be thrifty? I mean, it was not as if I get these money from the money tree. Thanks to our real estate business and sake distillery, I had a luxurious childhood. But now that I refuse to take money from my parents, I have to fend for myself.

"What do your parents do really?" I asked. Might as well know who my future in-laws were, right? *That's the spirit, Yamaa!* I thought drily.

"Alright. My dad's a banker and businessman and my mom works for the government."

"In other words, they own the largest bank in the country and they have malls all over the metropolis and her mom's the current ambassador to Germany." A female voice spoke from the kitchen's entrance.

"Naya!" She screamed and ran towards the newly-arrived siren and hugged her. I mean, are all Filipinas as pretty as these two? Then maybe I can live here forever. "How did you know I'm here?"

"I stalk you." It was as if it's the most idiotic question in the planet. "Won't you introduce me to them?" She raised an eyebrow.

"Of course. Forgive me. Guys, this is my one and only best friend, Natania Araneta. Naya, these my are my bosses, err, friends, Keiichiro Koyama, Takahisa Masuda, Yuya Tegoshi, Shigeaki Kato, Tomohisa Yamaa and Ryo Nishikido." We all murmured our niceties except for Ryo. He was busy ogling and drooling. Naya seem to be oblivious about it though. And she didn't even say anything and just stared at us like we did her wrong.

"So you are the guys that make my best friend's life miserable." Now, what did she just say?

"Naya?!" Allie in a reprimanding tone.

"Excuse me?" I am the leader. And no one insults my friends in front of me. And to our horror, she repeated what she said, this time in Nihonggo. I was fuming mad. "We understood you the first time." I said in my perfect New York twang.

"Sorry, you don't really look like it." She shot back, smirking.

"Ah ha ha! She really loves to joke, you know? Don't mind her. She's usually snotty." Then the rapid exchange again in an alien language that only God understands. The rest seem upset too. Especially Ryo. Good for him. "Excuse us." And she dragged her bratty friend somewhere.

"Hospitable, huh?" I snorted. Allie joined us again after a few minutes without the devil personified.

"Sorry about that. Naya's not really like that. She was just upset when I decided to stay in Japan for good." She explained, expression apologetic.

"And she's blaming us for that? That's really childish." I pointed out.

"That's why I'm saying sorry." Then I wondered how her parents would treat us. Her best friend really changed our mood.

****************************************************************************

"Allison? Is that really you, baby? Oh god!" An very regal lady in a pastel colored suit exclaimed when she saw Allie at the front porch with the rest of us when they arrived.

"You should have known our daughter loves surprises honey." A man with graying hair and features very much similar to Allie's were behind her.

"I missed you guys!" She hugged both of them. "How's Walldorf?" She asked.

"Lovely. And who are these guys?" She turned to us.

"Oh. Mom, Dad, these are my bosses and my good friends in Japan, Shige, Ryo, Massu, Yuya, Keiichiro and Tomohisa. Guys, these are my beloved parents, Arabella and Maurice Zobel." I bet she's getting tired of the introductions. Her mother gave us all a beso.

"And who among these gorgeous fellas is your boyfriend?" She asked. And for the life of me, I wanted to volunteer myself. The rest were snickering behind me.

"Mom! I just broke up with him so don't mention him again if you don't want me heading back to Tokyo soon." She threatened and barked orders to the help.

"What? You broke up with him without introducing him to us?" It was her father. So they really were cool. At least they were not snippy like the best friend.

"I said this topic is over." She repeated sternly and both of her parents exchanged knowing glances.

***************************************************************************

"Can't sleep?" I was startled to hear her voice approaching. I was out in the back garden, beside the man-made koi pond. Ryo was fast asleep when I left him

"Y-yeah. I think it's the time difference." I reasoned lamely, refusing to look at her. She sat beside me and handed me a smoking mug of liquid.

"Hot chocolate, it will help you sleep." I murmured my thanks and accepted the mug. I think her thoughtfulness was just one of the reasons why I fell for her. Since I left my home in Chiba, there was no one to care for me except my friends. And I don't know if she's aware of it but she treated me more than just a friend. She's like a mother, a sister, a friend, a confidante, shock absorber rolled into one. When my parents suddenly appeared in JE forcing me to return to Chiba and inherit half of the Yamaa empire, she talked them out of it. She let them know how important my job was for me. That it wasn't just a job but a passion. And that I'll take over the business in my own good time because I am their son. That I am a Yamaa. And now, when my mother calls me, she would even ask about her, hinting that she likes her and that I'll be stupid if she'll just be my manager.

"You've been unsually quiet, Pi-chan. Do you have a problem you're not telling me about?" She asked after an eerie silence.

"Nani?" I was too absorbed with my own thoughts I didn't even catch the question.

"I said," She sighed. "Do you have a problem? Are they pressuring you to return home again?" I nodded absently. I can't possibly tell her what my real problem was. "I believe you should rethink your options. You're not getting younger and your parents and brother needs your help. Anyway, that's just my opinion."

"Are you telling me to quit?" I can't believe I was hearing that from her.

"No. I was just telling you that you should set your priorities straight. What do you really wanna do? Do you have a clear picture of yourself five, ten years from now?"

"Do you?" I returned the question. I wanted to tell her and the rest of the world that the only future that I want for myself was beside her.

"Well, I did. But I think the future I want for myself didn't--" She was cut off by the incessant ringing of her phone. I smiled when I heard our latest single. Talk about loyalty. But she just stared at her cell phone and let it rang. I looked at her and recognized the pain that I, too, must have in my own eyes.

"Why don't you take it?" She nodded and walked away from me and took the call.

*****************************************************************************

[Allie's POV]

I heaved a deep sigh before pushing the answer button. I knew it was him. "Moshi moshi."

"Allie." I closed my eyes when I heard the oh-so-familiar voice. How I missed him! But this was not right.

"Can I help you, Takizawa-san?" I asked in an indifferent tone. I swallowed the lump in my throat to keep myself from tearing up.

"I miss you." He said and my tears came rushing down my cheeks. "And I know that I can't live without you. I am so sorry for hurting you, sweetheart."

"This conversation won't get us anywhere, Tackey." I said, ignoring what he said lest I'll believe him.

"No! Please listen to me. I don't care now if my parents would disown me. I just know that I love you too much to let you go and that I miss you so much that's why I'm here."

"Please don't do--what?"

"I'm here at NAIA and if you can tell me how to get there--"

****************************************************************************

I saw her running towards the parking garage, in her pyjamas, right after she talked to whoever that was on the other line. Seconds later, the dark blue Jaguar sped down the winding driveway.

The next day, we were gathered at the informal dining room, having coffee, when we heard Allie and a familiar voice approaching. Could it be. . ?

"Guys, I want you to meet someone." I held my breath. I was sitting where my back was facing the newly arrived. But the look on Massu's face right across me rose unknown fear at the pit of my stomach. Even if I was not seeing her, I knew she was smiling.

"S-senpai. . ." Tegoshi said slowly and I dropped the toast that I was holding. I turned slowly. I swear it took me forever to finally face the truth. My gaze first fell onto the intertwined fingers then up to the slender arms and to the faces that were looking at each other lilke nobody's around.

"Ohayo gozaimasu." Tackey waved and bowed slightly. NO! I wanted to scream but no voice came out. "Long time no see." He smiled a bit.

"Y-y-you are Onee-chan's boyfriend?" Give Ryo a cookie for pointing out the obvious.

"I guess I am." He replied. "Gomen ne, for hiding it from you guys." Half of his body was bent.

"That's why you visited my set a couple of times!" Ryo exclaimed accusingly. He was referring to the set of Orthros No Inu, the Friday drama that stars him and Tackey.

"I visit all your sets randomly everytime." She narrowed her eyes defensively. Can fate get anymore cruel? Just yesterday, I was so decided to win her heart no matter what. Then my rival turns out to be my idol. The biggest influence of my existence next to my parents. And the reason why I pursued a career in the entertainment business. Life's undoubtedly unfair.

I've known Takizawa Hideaki all my life. We're neighbors and our fathers were business partners and we're almost family by affinity. When he entered show business when he was still a teenager, all I wanted was to be like him. When I saw him act on TV, I imitated him right away. I sighed in defeat. Tackey has done everything to help me out when I was still learning the ropes of being a Johnny's Junior. All I have right now, I owe most from Tackey.

"But how did that happen? I mean, we don't even see you together. . ." Shige trailed off. Of course discretion was the key.

Allie smiled and Tackey was eyeing me expectantly, waiting for me to say something. "Onii-san." I stood up and gave him a hug. My knees were wobbling like jelly. "O-omedetou." I mumbled. I knew my friends only see me now as the pitiful Pi-chan.

"Arigatou. For taking care of Allie when I am not around." He bowed. Allie was looking at him as though he gave her the moon and the stars.

"Why don't we have breakfast and you guys can tell us how you got together, right? Teshi-chan helped Nanny in preparing breakfast." Trust Koyama to diffuse the tension. I think I owe him a month of servitude.

*****************************************************************************

A/N: I know this chapter's quite long but I think I'll be typing the final chapter soon. Comments are appreciated:) Arigatou!

PS: *An An's a Japanese beauty magazine, the likes of FHM and Maxim.

*Tagalog (or Filipino) is the official language in the Philippines

*The 'po' and 'opo' are used to address elders as sign of respect.