And Then I Knew

So Near Yet So Far (Completed)
"Ano, what if I am falling for someone but she seem to be oblivious about the whole thing?" Shige threw the tabloid that he was reading and dropped himself onto a chair beside me.

"What? Are you?" He asked though he heard what I said so the first time. The rest of my fellow band members already stopped what they were doing and gathered around me. We were in NewS's designated break room inside Johnny's Entertainment building. All eyes were on me and I was trying my hardest to fight the red that's making its way at the base of my neck.

"I-it's just a hypothetical question." I sputtered weakly but by the looks of it, they didn't believe me.

"It won't cross your mind if it's not true." Tegoshi Yuya's the youngest NewS member but he seemed to be the most logical. Well, it's just my opinion. If you're going to ask Ryo, he'll tell you he's the most incvincible of us all.

"And who is this girl? Come to think of it, we're always together so it would be impossible for me not to know." Ryo pointed out, his hand caressing his chin.

"I told you, it's just hypothetical." I said again in which I hoped a voice with more conviction.

"Well, we just refuse to buy it." Koyama Keiichiro said and sat on the table itself. "C'mon, we're not friends for so long for nothing." I thought about it for a moment. Among us, Koyama was the only one who maintains a romantic relationship with a showbiz outsider. It was against JE's (Johny's Entertainment) rules but our manager allowed it so long as he will be very careful. Speaking of our manager, she's the root of all my problems. In the end, I decided that it was best if I tell them and maybe they could put some sense into my head.

"I think I am falling for Nee-chan." We playfully call our manager Nee-chan (older sister) when in truth, she's older only to Tegoshi by a month and younger than the rest of us.

"You--what?!" Massu blurted out. I closed my eyes tight. I didn't want to see their reactions. When I opened my eyes again, they were still gaping at me, mouth wide open. It was comical actually, if not for the incredulity of the situation.

"I swear to God I tried my best--"

"Wow, it's always good to try your best. I expect no less than that for your upcoming projects." Now it was my turn to stare. I can't believe I lost track of time. She arrived, not a second late, as always. In her signature outfit: tight-fitting dark jeans, knee high suede boots, and button-down long-sleeved white shirt. The only addition to her usual garb was the pair of vintage sunglasses that covered almost half of her face. And it wasn't sunny to begin with. "Since you're all here then let us start. I'll go over NewS's lined up events and then your individual projects." She added in her no-nonsense tone and sat on the other end of the long table, right across me.

The rest occupied their spots too, after giving me a long look. It annoyed me pretty badly. I tried to focus on what she was saying.

"I just received the contract for your 2010 concert tour and the kick-off event will be in Ryo's hometown, Osaka." She said, distributing copies of it.

"Whoa. Great!" Ryo looked like he won the lottery. It was his long-time dream to perform in his birthplace. "Arigatou, Nee-chan."

"Why are you thanking me?" She asked in fake innocence. We all knew she did everything to convince the higher JE executives to let us perform in Osaka.

"You should treat her to dinner and then we'll tag along!" Massu clapped happily. When it comes to food, no one can beat him. I tried to join the laughing spree but I was sure I looked like a bozo.

"Nee-chan, won't you take your glasses off? It irritates me." Tegoshi huffed.

"Woke up at the wrong side of the bed, eh?" She retorted but removed her glasses. And now, all eyes were on her. Her eyes were not only fluffy but bloodshot. I noticed that her nose's red too, obviously from crying nonstop.

"What's the problem, Patricia?" Koyama, being the oldest, pressed. The original agenda to for the day totally forgotten.

"Nothing major." She said in a dismissive tone and gave Koyama a death glare. We all knew she hated her second name. It worried me big time but I knew that whatever I say at this time will surely get unwanted attention from my band mates. Allison Patricia Zobel's a half-Filipino, half-German and known to all JE employees as Ms. Arison, the Japanese interpretation of her English name. She was hired by JE to be our English tutor when Johnny Kitagawa decided to launch NewS internationally. But Johnny, having an eye for true talent, gave her the job of being our manager when our previous one left. And it has never been better. She's has bagged the most coveted projects in the industry for all of us. From endorsements to high-rating dramas, name it.

"You wouldn't be crying if it's nothing." I said, the edge in my voice silenced the room. And like what I predicted, I got all the attention. I berated myself silently for my carelessness.

"I guess I have to tell you one time or another. . ." She trailed off and heaved a heavy sigh. Whatever it was that was bothering her, I wanted to take it away. The raw pain that crossed her eyes hurt me more than I could ever imagine. I never thought I was capable of this feeling. Being one of the most sought-after celebritites in Japan had me legion of girls crawling at my feet, throwing themselves at me. And me falling for this head-strong woman who just see me as a brother was simply absurd. She looked at the ceiling like she was keeping the tears from falling again. "It's my fault. It's all my fault." Her voice broke and I gripped the edge of the table so I won't grab her and crush her into my arms.

"What is it? Tell us!" The tension was building up. Tegoshi, playing the protective brother shook her gently while she cried silently.

In her uneven voice, "It was my fault that I fell for a Japanese guy. Now his parents won't even look at me just because I am not Japanese!" She wailed. Koyama's fist landed on the table harshly.

"That is not acceptable! What did your boyfriend do?" He asked, teeth grinding together. We all felt the same. The looks in boys' faces scream blue murder. My hands involuntarily closed into fists.

"He really can't do anything about it, can he? His mom even threatened to disown him. I guess you people are really, forgive my word, ethnocentric." She tried to smile. It didn't even reach her eyes though. I can tell that she really love the guy. I hated him all the more.

"That's not true! Our parents like you." Shige growled.

"Just because I am your manager. Try bringing me home as your girlfriend and let's see what will happen." She let out an empty laugh. Nobody contested her after that. No one really tried bringing home a non-Japanese girlfriend so far. "What's really distressing about the whole thing was that I can't even make amends! It's not my attitude, it's not my job. I mean, I can't change my ethnicity, can I? It's so frustrating!" She threw her hands up in the air.

"He didn't even try to talk his parents out of it?" Massu asked, his eyes wide. "You are a prized catch, Nee-chan! If he doesn't even have the balls to do that then maybe you should look another way." And I swear he gave a me side glance. I almost beaten him up to pulp because of that. Good thing she didn't notice. Or I would certainly be in jail.

"I don't know. Let us get back to work. My lovelife isn't of much importance." She leafed through the folder in front of her and when she uses that tone, we know better than to dig further. She went through our calendar of activities for the rest of the year and we have a two-week vacation starting the day after tomorrow after wrapping up the release of our latest album. "I'll be in the Philippines for two weeks. Would you guys want to join me?"

"That's a good idea! Let us all go! We haven't been to the Philippines." Tegoshi screamed. "What do you guys think?" The rest gave him a thumbs up except me.

"Wouldn't it be dangerous for us? And we don't really want to impose on Nee-chan, do we?" I didn't really want to go on vacation. Especially now that I don't feel like having fun. They can all go for all I care but I am staying. Then I caught Ryo's eyes, silently telling me that my secret isn't safe if I decide not to join. I muttered a curse under my breath.

"What is it?" Allie's forehead creased.

"Nothing." I amended.

"It's okay really. I think it would be fun to have you guys there."

"Okay. When are we leaving?" I sulked silently for my impending doom.

"I'll arrange everything. I'll call you guys the night before we leave. So pack your bags."

***********************************************************************

A/N: Okay, it's definitely not a one-shot. But I am working on the suceeding chapters. And of course, the whole story will be on Yamapi's POV unless, otherwise, stated. Leave a comment if you can:) Arigatou!