SIX

#project365

 

 

There are two basic motivating forces: fear and love. When we are afraid, we pull back from life. When we are in love, we open to all that life has to offer with passion, excitement, and acceptance.

- John Lennon -


Hana watched Mi Kyung from the corner of her eyes how the latter picked up her phone, hesitated for a moment, dropped it with a sigh and repeated the entire cycle for the past hour. Choosing to remain mum about it, she continued clicking away on her laptop, editing her works for her year-end project. For a moment, Mi Kyung peered over her shoulder, distracting herself away from her phone again.

“Is that Kyung Bok Palace?” Mi Kyung asked shortly, pointing at the strip of new photos Hana has just uploaded into her laptop. She has recently just visited that historical place right before the sunset just to snap some pictures of the scenery.

Hana nodded mutely, concentrating to sharpen the details in the picture. Her hand worked furiously clicking away on her mouse to highlight the edges of the trees when Mi Kyung yet again reached aside to pick up her phone. “If you are planning to do something and don’t want me here, you can tell me.”

The girl dropped her phone quickly onto her lap and shook her head with her eyes wide and blushing furiously. “No, Hana, I’m not chasing you away! I’m just looking at the time, that’s all.”

“You have been looking at the time for the past hour, for the tenth time,” she pointed out quite frankly. She switched her working mode to stylus and started editing again. “What’s up?”

“I’m just distracted, that’s all,” she replied and hurriedly picked up the book she has been reading to hide her face. “This book that Professor Song asked us to read is so boring. Have you finished it?”

Hana rolled her eyes though Mi Kyung wasn’t looking. Truth was that autobiography was an assignment last term and Mi Kyung, being the person she was then, couldn’t be bothered about it. She had simply bought the footnotes for the book from another student and studied that. Obviously she hadn’t remembered reading it. But Hana hasn’t planned on telling her that, or giving her the latest school assignments. She has other works to worry about.

“Yes, I’ve finished it. It is quite boring,” she answered. She made a face when she realized the result of her edit wasn’t as good as she has expected and quickly clicked ‘discard’. Sighing, she started from the beginning again.

“I like that one,” Mi Kyung chipped in when she saw Hana chose another photo from the selection. This time, it was the pathway lined by ginkgo and maples trees, taken from the ground up angle. “That lake is pretty nice.”

“Yeah, but it’s boring,” Hana shot back monotonously.

So are the trees, Mi Kyung thought silently, at least the Hyang Won Jeong Pavilion is in that picture and a place where the King and Queen used to date is definitely not boring.

“So what’s on your phone?” Hana asked again.

Mi Kyung jumped slightly, startled that her friend was not one to be distracted away. Sighing, she shook her head. “It’s nothing really. I was just looking.”

“Looking at the singer guy on your phone screen?” she added more. “What was his name again, the lead singer for that boy band?”

The heart of Mi Kyung skipped a beat at the mention of Kyung Soo. She would never admit that she has a crush on that guy but the fact that a message from him still burning in the inbox of her Instagram made her blushed again. Oh dear, how was she to explain it to Hana?

Hana stopped her work and picked up a thick leather-bound book beside her laptop. Using a string bookmark that was clipped in between the pages, she split the book open and started perusing the pages, while commenting, “Mi Kyung, maybe you should live a little. I know it’s been hard but honestly, you’re starting to live like those fan girls and it’s freaking me out.”

“I’m not a stalker fan,” Mi Kyung defended hurriedly, slightly offended that her friend would even compare her to the likes of stalker fan girls.

“Of course you are not,” Hana answered kindly. She compared some notes on her book to the screen. “But you are living your life centered on this guy. That’s not healthy.” She looked up, smiling. “Why don’t you come back to school? We all miss you. Staring at this guy who doesn’t even know you exist is not the answer.”

Mi Kyung sighed tiredly. She didn’t want to lose her temper at the only friend she has and she was a little too tired to lose her temper at the people around her. No matter how many times they have this discussion, she always makes her stand by not leaving her comfort zone and Hana returns next week to re-open this discussion. It was as if she didn’t understand no.

“Hana, please… I don’t want to go back to school. I’m not ready.”

Her friend responded by placing her book onto Mi Kyung’s lap. It was opened to one page:

If we wait until we are ready, we’ll be waiting for the rest of our lives.

- Lemony Snicket -

 

“What are you trying to say, Hana?” Mi Kyung asked.

Hana shrugged, picked up her book and turned back to her work again. “You know well what I’m trying to say, Mi Kyung. Have a little courage; we’re all here for you.”

She picked up her phone again, biting onto her lower lip and thinking real hard. She hit the ‘power’ button and the pretty smile lit up. Hana was now mumbling to herself while working away.

“Hana…?”

“Hmm…?”

“There is this girl. She kind of likes this one guy but she thought this guy didn’t even know she existed. But suddenly, the guy started talking to her. What do you think she should do?” Hana turned to reply but Mi Kyung added on hastily, “I mean this girl is not really pretty, and she’s not too smart either. She’s like this Ugly Betty but the guy is different. He’s like the hottest guy in school.”

“Are we talking about Do Sang Joon?” Hana asked in confusion. He was the hottest guy in campus; rumor has it that he was recently recruited by a modelling agency. “But you know Do Sang Joon…”

Having stuck her tongue down his throat at last year Christmas party and went out for a couple of dates, Mi Kyung certainly knew him very well. As the matter of fact, everyone in school knows about the story of Mi Kyung and Sang Joon. Their brief but infamous time together made it to the Internet and school magazine and their ugly break-up even more so.

“You are talking about you and Sang Joon, right?”

“NO!” Mi Kyung exclaimed, horrified. She hasn’t forgotten either. “It’s…” Hana stopped her work again to really scrutinize her.

“It’s this story I was writing,” Mi Kyung explained lamely. “Yeah, you know how many people have been writing and posting stories online? I thought I should give it a try as well. And so far this is the idea I have.”

“Oh… In case, I think maybe the girl should just talk back. They can be friends first then maybe in between throw in some rivals,” Hana said casually. “But that sounds too cliché, don’t you think? Hmm..., I’m not really good at this.”

“Yeah, it’s okay. It’s just an idea.”

*

The phone beeped to show an incoming message. Kyung Soo literally jumped in his seat and made a dash for his phone. The other members groaned in annoyance.

“Kyung Soo, we are in a meeting here. What the hell do you think you are doing?” Suho demanded while trying to keep his voice level. Their manager looked as if he’s seething with steam coming out of his ears. He clicked a 'pause' on the review tape they were watching and turned to look at the young man, waiting for a good explanation.

“I have a message,” he answered lamely. It was a message from his mother, asking if he gets any coming off time so he could go home. A sigh of disappointment escaped his lips.

Baek Hyun rolled his eyes from his seat. Leaning forward so the others, he whispered loudly enough for Kyung Soo to hear as well, “He’s been like this since we woke up this morning. He was practically hugging the phone when I woke up.”

“This is ridiculous,” their manager chimed in. “Kyung Soo, we are reviewing our checklist for your first ever concert. Whatever it is, it can wait. This is more important. So put your phone away.” He sounded like a stern father so Kyung Soo did exactly that, but not before clicking on his app to check his inbox.

“Hyung, what the hell are you doing?” Se Hun, who was sitting beside him, frowned. “This is not the time for Instagram.”

“Kyung Soo…” Their manager’s voice had a hint of warning in it. It made Kyung Soo looked up and gulped helplessly, but he couldn’t help himself. It was as if by instinct his fingers clicked that icon.

“What is wrong with you today, Kyung Soo? This is so unlike you,” the manager said more. The usual main vocalist was always so focused and serious. Drifting away during a meeting was something the youngest Se Hun does. Everyone was tired and distracted as well but what Kyung Soo is doing lacked discipline and was truly rude.

“It’s really nothing,” Kyung Soo replied weakly. “I’m just replying my mom.”

Just when Kai and Se Hun exchanged a brief conversation as when did Kyung Soo’s mom has an Instagram account, Kyung Soo let out a loud gasp and jumped to his feet, his round eyes wider than usual. Suho and the manager burst out in the same time.

“What is it this time, Kyung Soo?”

He dropped his phone onto the table, jaw dropped and eyes still wide opened. The other members crowded around out of curiosity to look at the screen. That was when Kai spoke.

“Ah… that girl that hyung has been stalking on Instagram messaged him.”

 

Hi, I’m big fan of your songs.


Here you go, another chapter is up. I'm not really good with describing scenes, especially when it involves the sceneries. But the main point is, they made contact!! XD

Subcribing, upvoting and commenting is appreciated. Cheers~