And He Succeeds

Closing The Distance

Two different worlds
I thought they'd keep us apart
I'm ignoring my head
Follow my heart 

--Picture (Carly Rae Jepsen)

 

  It's almost a month and Kim Sung Gyu hasn't heard anything from the girl yet. He wasn't worried about the money (okay, maybe he is), he's just concerned that something might have happened to her. An accident perhaps, a lot of things could have happened in between the time they said good bye to each other 'til Woo Hyun's car sped away.

    Should he look her up? It's not like he can't do it. His parents are influential people and now that they're back to being amiable to him (after they found out the reason behind Hye Jin's parents insistence on their daughter's marriage to him. Turns out they've embessled a few of the company's earnings and are selfish enough to want more.) He could ask them for a favor, not that it's hard to find... he stopped mid-thought. He doesn't know her name. So how on earth is finding her going to be possible?

    "Are you worried that the shoe girl ran away with someone else and have forgotten you completely?" 

    "What are you doing here, Woo Hyun?"

    "I'm your assistant... I'm required to be here..."

    "So then, shouldn't you be working?" He decided to just ignore his assistant and proceeded on the report he still needs to finish  for school and a few account books he needs to review.

    "Guess what I did for you?" Nam Woo Hyun has a mischievous smile plastered on his greasy face. Sung Gyu isn't too keen on this.

    "I'm not falling for that anymore... You've always tricked me... I don't trust you..."

    "Even if it has something to do with shoe girl?"

    "Huh?"

    "I was able to get her details... Look here... Her name is---"

    "How did you get that?" Sung Gyu interrupted as Woo Hyun waved the manila envelope in front of him.

    "You said she was there for the wedding, right? There was only one  company that held an event there. The only other wedding event was your sham wedding..."

    "And?" Sung Gyu demanded. This bestfriend of his has the tendency of being overly dramatic.

    "So you are interested in her..." Woo Hyun chided.

    "Of course I'm interested... I want my money back, that's all...."
 
    "If you say so... Maybe I should just contact her for you... Seeing that I'm your assistant..."

    "Nam Woo Hyun..." Sung Gyu warned.

    "Okay, okay..." Woo Hyun paused for effect, slowly pulling out a folder from the envelope. "Her name is Kang Ae Ryoung, 23 years old... Ooh, you're the same age. And like me, she works as an assistant to the manager of her company's advertising department..."

    "We're you able to get her contact information?"

    "Why call her when we can just go directly to her..."

    "What?! So you don't have her number?" He remembers the number exchange, unfortunately he can't remember where he put the piece of paper with her number on it.

    "C'mon Sung Gyu-hyung... Let's just visit this mystery girl of yours, if she's not the con-artist Ho Won and I think she is, maybe you could, you know, ask her out or something... Then after, you can introduce her to your parents so they could stop setting you up on blind dates you don't usually attend because you're obviously smitten with this girl..."

    "Ya, you! Stop jumping into conclusions..." He pondered about the idea. Well, atleast this time he'd be able to get answers and as much as hates to admit it, he's looking forward to seeing her again.

    "So..."

    "Kaja..."

    "I knew it! Kim Sung Gyu is in love..." He ignored Woo Hyun. The latter could start throwing hearts his way, but it's still to early to label his feelings.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

    They've arrived at her building twenty minutes later. Kim Sung Gyu  is cranky. Being teased by your bestfriend all through out the car ride until they entered the building ,he's teasing him still, would probably blow a person's head off. He's about to reprimand him when he saw a familiar pair of shoes being worn by someone walking in front of them. He froze in his tracks, what would he tell her? Would she be surprised to see him here? What if she pretended that she doesn't know him? Suddenly going here doesn't seem to be a good idea.

    "Oi, Kim Sung Gyu... There she is... Aren't you going to show yourself?"

    "Woo Hyun-ah... I think we should---"

    "Kang Ae Ryoung... Kang Ae Ryeong-ssi..." Woo Hyun shouted at the top of his lungs. Kim Sung Gyu's going to do bodily harm to his former bestfriend and soon-to-be ex-assistant.

    The pair of familiar shoe-clad feet stopped mid-stride and slowly turned aroud. 'This is it' Kim Sung Gyu thought to himself.

    "Kang Ae Ryoung-ssi, annyeonghaseyo... I'm Nam Woo Hyun... Since you and my friend have met so I believe there isn't any need for introductions..."

    His mystery girl smiled and Kim Sung Gyu felt relieved. He found her and she still remembers him. He was about to ask her why she hasn't gotten in touch with him when her companion spoke.

    "Do I know you guys?" The mysterious girl's companion asked. There's a look of confusion on her face. But they weren't addressing her.

    "We're here to visit Kang Ae Ryoung-ssi... As for you agasshi... I believe we haven't met..." Woo Hyun coolly replied. He managed to sound polite even if Sung Gyu knew he was annoyed by the girl's forwardness.

    The mysterious girl's smile widened. Kim Sung Gyu was momentarily entranced until he heard her say... "She IS Kang Ae Ryoung..."

    "Bwoh?! But then..." Woo Hyun trailed off. Obviously at a loss for words.

    Kim Sung Gyu started laughing, he doesn't exactly know the reason why he's laughing. Maybe because of the situation or them looking stupid standing in the middle of the lobby with confused faces.

    "You guys know each other?" The real Kang Ae Ryoung querried seemingly puzzled by the events that are happening.

    "Well, they both do..." Woo Hyun points at Kim Sung Gyu and the mystery girl.

    "Wait..." Kang Ae Ryoung looked inquiringly, Mystery girl's smile disappeared and was replaced by panic. This time Kang Ae Ryoung knows exactly what she needed to do. "I think this person here needs to be toured around the building, would you like to come with me?"

    Nam Woo Hyun looked uneasy for the first time and Kim Sung Gyu can't help but laugh even harder.

    "S-sure, I'd like a tour of the building..." Kang Ae Ryoung grabbed Nam Woo Hyun's arm and stirred him towards the direction of one of the building's many exhibit halls.

    Kim Sung Gyu and the mystery girl was left alone. An awkward silence ensued. Both doesn't know where to start.

    "Ummm...." They said at the same time. "You go ahead..." They both blurted in a chorus. Looking at each other, they started to laugh.

    "No, really... Ahjussi... You go ahead..."

    "You're still calling me Ahjussi?" he inquired.

    "Well, I don't really know what to call you..."
  
    "My name is Kim Sung Gyu... and... you're not Kang Ae Ryoung..."

    Shin Ha Rin shakes her head, amused by the conversation. "I'm actually named Shin Ha Rin..."

    "And you weren't born on December of '89?"

    "No... I'm actually younger than that..."

    "Oh, so I'm your  oppa then..."

    "Oppa? Why would I call you 'oppa'?"

    "I'm not imposing or anything... If you just want to call me that..."

    "No thanks..."

    "Ya! That's kind of insulting, you know... Oh and I see you're still wearing the shoes..." Kim Sung Gyu was embarassed by the rejection so he decided to change the topic.

    "Of course..." She suddenly remembered she haven't paid for it. "Umm... about... that... I'll pay you now..."

    "I thought you forgot about it... Why didn't you get in touch with me?"

    "I lost my phone the day after we met... really, I was supposed to pay you the same day but there was just too much work to do that it slipped out of my mind and I just remembered it the next day... That was the time I found out I don't have my phone anymore..."

    "That was it?"

    "What do you mean 'that was it'? It took half of my salary to replace that phone..." She sighed frustratingly."You won't understand... Did you track me down because of that? Did you think I wasn't going to pay for it? I was trying to look for you, you know... I just didn't have the same means such as yours. I'm actually about to find out... Ae Ryoung is accompanying me to the wedding hall you were supposed--- Hey, are you listening?"

    To tell the truth, he wasn't. He was taking pleasure in staring at how animated her face becomes when she's trying to make a point.

    "Ya!" Shin Ha Rin exclaimed. And she sees that smile again. The one where his eyes disappears into crescent moons. Well, it's not as if it was actually visible, but for some reason she missed seeing that smile though she'd seen it only once.

    "Are you stunned by my charisma?"

    She was jolted back to reality when she heard him say that, he's teasing her. Well, two can play this game. "Charisma? What charisma?" she questioned.

    "Isn't my charisma already showing?"

    "I can't see your eyes..." she joked.
    
    "Bwoh?!"

    "You look like a fish out of water, do you know that?"

    "I'm---"

    "You're Kim Sung Gyu and I'm Shin Ha Rin... Nice to meet you too..."

    Silence came after that. But this time it's a comfortable one. Just the both of them taking in the knowledge that they finally know the others' name. All of a sudden, the wedding march started playing on the building's PA system. Both looked around startled. Was there a wedding that's happening today?

    "Do you Kim Sung Gyu take Shin Ha Rin as---"

    "Yah!!! Nam Woo Hyun!!!!"